[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

car wash - yey or ney

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: car-wash.gif (128KB, 432x288px) Image search: [Google]
car-wash.gif
128KB, 432x288px
Alright /o/, I grew up in the house with my dad, a practical engineer type. He always told me that I should wash my own car - which I generally do (I've never paid for a car wash before in my light). Said they were overpriced, job is easy, you do a better job, less likely to damage your car.

In the past month or so it seems he's flipped. Mainly because we live in New York State (snow on roads in winter = salt). He says that because of the wash of the underside one should get their car washed at least once in the spring at an actual car wash.

So I ask /o/: What's right and wrong here? Will a car wash do a better job than a person generally can with a pressure washer + soap + sponge?
>>
Hand wash is always better. That said, it's not a bad idea to get the salt off the bottom unless you like rust.
>>
>>14691307
If you care about your car you should do it by hand. You can spray under it just as well as the machine and you won't fuck up your paint.
>>
I use it, because my paint is slightly streaked anyway (and it hasn't gotten worse since I bought it), but I'm too...scared and inept, really, to properly polish my car. The few attempts I made on another car basically weren't showing any results at all, which confused me and put me off of further attempts, for now.

I really have to take a course on this someday.
>>
>>14691307
DO NOT use the automated machines. They fuck up all the time. Broken mirrors and sometimes crushed tires.
>>
I used to nag my mum wheniu was young to go through auto washes
Was like a theme park ride
>>
> Hand wash, clean, seal and wax a few times a year.

> Hand wash when needed

> Touchless carwashes or water-only public carwash during the winter
>>
While I was in high school, I'd go to those places where you use a pressure washer
>>
When you say "handwash", do you mean a bucket of water and a piece of tissue or kaercher-like devices?
>>
>>14691473
No, a PROPER handwash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWmtLSQYbys
>>
>>14691307
Doing it once a spring won't do shit

Up in NH most people I know do it once every sunday, and an oil undercoat every september
>>
>>14691307
I've heard horror stories about the machines ripping off mirrors and bludgeoning the car with it all the way down.
>>
coin op wand wash is best in my opinion. go early in the morning/late at night when its not busy and you can spend all the time you need to properly dry and clean your interior as well
>>
In fantasy land everyone has time to hand wash and wax cars but in real life you dont.

Stay away from the auto washes, use the self serve pressure washer ones, just do not use the brush they have there as it's often full of stones. Ill bring a wash mit with me, Hose of car with the soap spray, give a shot on the wash mit, go top to the bottom with a rub down, rise with clean water. Bring a big ziplock bag to put the mit in so it doesnt get your truck all funky.

Bring an old microfiber for the rims/wheel wells as well.
>>
i go to the coin wash. Spray the shit out of my car with pressurized soap (fuck the presoak) and make sure i get the burnt rubber off and any loose shit that will swirl (JUST). I use the brush with soap and rinse with plain water. The spot free rinse at my wash sucks so it just dribbles out. I dry my car with a chamois right there because fuck everybody i paid to use this car wash too.
>>
>>14691658
>>14691907
> 2016
> Paying to wash your own car

It's like society has cucked you.

I wash my car myself on the driveway. Sponge, bucket of wash/wax, hosepipe, chamois leather.
>>
If you're in the rust belt, it's important to give the underside a good rinse periodically. Any halfway decent mechanical car wash will have a bar to spray the underside, usually right as you enter the machine.

Mechanical car washes can cause small scuffing just as part of normal operation, but if your car is mostly in one piece going in, it will mostly be in one piece coming out. I drive my car through a mechanical wash once a month, but I've just got a cheap 1-coat MAACO paint job on it.

If you're worried about maintaining that factory shine, only use touchless car washes, or do it by hand.
>>
>>14691307
A car must be hand washed at least twice a year.

Problem with automated car washes is the stupid rainx/wax they use. Its fine everyone once in a while, but since these car washes do not remove 100% of the dirt, and always leave some behind, like b around door handles, car logos, etc, and then spray wax over it, that dirt gets sealed in, and becomes very hard to remove.

You can alternate using automatic car washes with washing the car by hand with a soft sponge. And not going to the pressurer washer with the mop. Like at home, with a garden hose, a bar of clay to remove the stubborn shit, and a proper wax job afterwards.

If you only use automated car washes, at least try to avoid going for the premium one with all the waxes and shit. that shit is bad for a car that is never fully clean.
Get the cheapest car wash you can.

Underside wash is very important, but with many car washes its a premium, and comes with all the wax shit. Just take it to a self wash and get the wand under there and get the crap out.
>>
>>14692107
>implying your water is free
>implying you didn't go and buy that wax/soap/sponge
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.