[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Its me again,still need help!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 1

File: Rex.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Rex.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
I still haven't had somebody tell me if i should get it or not, i seriously dont know. Plz help.

Somebody advertised there 1999 subaru GC impreza WRX on gumtree with around 240,000km and for $4k AUD.
Has quite a few mods, 3" HKS Exhaust, 3" dump pipe, braided clutch line and heavy duty clutch etc.
He states there is a problem with it and it can be fixed, either he will fix it or he will sell it for cheaper.
The problem he states is "Possibly TPS or just needs a carbon clean. Comp test was 165 across all cylinders, not using coolant or oil and not overheating. Car drives fine, just has a slight intermittent hesitation."
I offered him $2.9k and i might see him tomorrow.

If you could help me i would like to know;
What a TPS is and is it hard to replace/ costly?
what a carbon clean is/ costly?
And what an intermittent hesitation is?

I hate to sound needy, but i just want to know if i have a good deal, or if im getting fucked.
>>
>wrx
>240,000kms
>"hurr something is broken thats a really cheap fix but i don't want to do it"

Can i ask why you're even considering this car? it sounds like a massive shitheap
>>
>>14690662
If you don't know what it is and he doesn't either, take it to a mechanic before you buy it.
>>
Don't buy a Wrx for anything under than 6k unless you know every last thing about these cars and thoroughly inspect it in person
Even then it's still risky as all of them are owned by scum willing to do whatever to fuck you over
>>
>>14690676
He said hes gonna fix it himself is nobody offers
>>14690678
would i have to pay for the mechanic to look at it?
>>14690686
Idk man, this one looks like a dream and the white gc8 is basically me dream car. i seriosuly dont know what he is trying to pull or if he is being genuine.
>>
>>14690710
Tps: throttle position sensor
Carbon cleanup: up to $4k if you get a shop to do it.
Intermittent hesitation: acceleration is intermittent between good and slow as fuck because the engine is not running right.

You're buying a car that some cunt is trying to flog because he can't work out what's wrong with it and doesn't want to spend exorbitant amounts of money trying to fix it.

Here's a pro tip, never buy a nodded Subaru. And never buy a Subaru from anyone under 30.

They get ragged to shit by cunts thinking they're Tommi mackinen
>>
>>14690710
Dude you sound 16 or 17 at best, is this your first car? You are making a very poor decision even considering a vehicle like this
>>
>>14690790
he also mentions that the suspention is a little wollowy. if you guys want the link to the advert i can post it.
>>14690861
Yeh, i am 17 and it would be my first car.
What do you mean vehicle like this? how is it a poor decision?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
>>
>>14690891
Because i was once you mane, i was 17 and busted my parents balls to buy me a 97 VS Commodore 5speed. all i cared about was how hectic it was and how i could flog all my m8s shitboxes, i had no regard for general maintenance and upkeep and in turn i ended up with a car that would constantly break down, constantly required repairs beyond my mechanical scope AND turned me off a whole brand of car for life.

I understand why you want a car like that but trust me dude, buy a boring shitbox first car and spend your pocket money on weed and booze. (A33 Maximas are a steal at the moment, pick one up with leather/sunroof/climate for 4k)
>>
>>14690918
PLUS all WRXs are flogged out pieces of shit regardless of age and KMs, when was the last time you saw a WRX that wasn't being hammered or owned by some wog cunt? Plus the AWD/Boxer setup is a prick to work on and workshops will charge you like a wounded bull.

If you ABSOLUTELY must have some faggy turbo flutter shit maybe look into Aristos, they seem to avoid the dickhead factor probably due to being automatics.

I don't mean to lecture but i want to prevent you going down the same road i did.
>>
>>14690891
What state are you in that allows you to drive a WRX on your P plates?
>>
>>14690931
Any state with the "new" power to weight limits
They only have 220hp or something
>>
>>14690931
Could be WA as we don't have power restrictions.

We do have heaps of meth though

>FIFOCUNTYEAH
>>
>>14690891
Its a piece of shit, expect ~$6-8k to get it to decent quality. On top of the cars purchase price ofc.

Also you sign a disclaimer when visiting 4chan that you are over 18. To oust yourself otherwise is a banning.
>>
>>14690918
I thankyou for being a guy who took time explaining to me in the best way why not to get the WRX for my first car. I will now take the A33 Maximas into great considiration.
>>14690931
>>14690934
>>14690933
Indeed i am in wa and you can drive whatever the fuck you want which is great in a way
>>
>>14690951
cough i am 18 it was a typo i swear, please dont tell on me :'(
>>
Sidenote, On the side of searching for WRX i also have been searching for
Mitsubishi Lancers
Mitsubishi Magnas
Honda Preludes
Nissan Pulsars
Would these be good first cars? (All manual btw)
>>
>>14690988
Pulsar sss is good car but lolfwd
>>
>>14690918
>(A33 Maximas are a steal at the moment, pick one up with leather/sunroof/climate for 4k)
Do you have any othere suggestion besides the A33, im looking for a manual and by the looks of it all maximas come in auto
>>
>>14690988

If you want cheap power get a commodore
If you want cheap stance get a civic
If you want to spend your money on tuners, visit forums and find an r33 gts

Making repairs when you're young is hard. You need space, time and normally lots of money.
>>
>>14691165
cheers, that was a great way to put it. still unsure on what to get though, not the most in depth guide though.
>>
>>14690790
Being someone who bought a 98 2.5 turbo wrx as my first car when i was 18 9 years ago i can tell you this guy is telling the truth do NOT buy a subaru or any "performance" car from anyone under 30 you will spend more money on fines and repairs due to it being a flogged out piece of shit and driving around in a sign that says come ass fuck me pigs.

If you want something cheap and has "street cred" because clearly that is what you are going for as a first car buy a r32 ( Auto ) or an exa ( Turbo or not that is your choice ), The r32 due to being an auto are less likely to have the shit flogged out of them due to the old godzillas being cheap now as well as being a lel auto and exa's have that jdm street cred plus easy as fuck to maintain and can give a good bit of power.
>>
>>14691201
cheers for the input, im lookign fro a manual though.
Whats an exa? tried searching it up nothing came up.
any other suggestions?
>>
>>14691235
Nissan Exa

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Nissan+Exa&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=979&tbm=isch&imgil=fRuQeb-crcP-PM%253A%253BrNuwfRIIlK2bAM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.nissanexa.com%25252Fshowthread.php%25253F55829-Mikes-1st-Nissan-Exa&source=iu&pf=m&fir=fRuQeb-crcP-PM%253A%252CrNuwfRIIlK2bAM%252C_&usg=__XWAjBUAgWPPDHZfj5lHSUrHn3_0%3D&ved=0ahUKEwjOpcuOpNTLAhVJkJQKHVHsCV4QyjcILw&ei=2zjxVo7MHMmg0gTR2KfwBQ#imgrc=fRuQeb-crcP-PM%3A

Pimp little cars come in turbo and non turbo most of them are manual and cheap as fuck maybe 1-2k and look tough if you do them up.
>>
>>14691235
or buy an old Holden Gemini
>>
The jury has spoken. You're not getting the WRX.
>>
>>14691349
They look old, im checking them atm, look like they would have alot of k's
>>14691357
Yeh nah not really my style aye
>>14691411
Unfortunatly true, ahhhh rip dream car
>>
>>14691349
>>14691201
Unfortunatly no nissan exa's on gumtree in wa rip
>>
>>14690891
>Yeh, i am 17
MOOOOOOOODSSS
>>
>>14691453
Hmm that is a shame no Exa's and you didn't like the Gemini, You can try for a R32 in manual but you are maybe looking at paying a bit more 6-8k i know a little pricey.

have you tried Carsales or ebay? might have a better chance than just using gumtree.

Other than that i am not sure what else you might be interested in, Could get a Bombadore like most P platers or even a falcon.

Maybe try for an old Evo?
>>
>>14691453
Oh i forgot to say also most older cars will have a lot of Ks on them like the exa however the best thing about old cars is they are really great to learn how to throw a wrench on, easy to fix, cheap parts and less computerized shit to worry about so having an exa with 200,000k on it wont be too hard to fix compared to a WRX or something more modern as you can do most of it yourself with a friend.
>>
>>14690662
>Doesn't know to much about cars
>Looking at high mileage historically abused car
>Said car has a lot of shitty mods

Got get an shit box homie
>>
>>14691491
yeh man idek anymore, my whole plan was any hawkeye wrx basically, that one caught my eye so fast. its a real shame. i will cry in my sleep.

probs gonna end up getting a lancer :(
>>
>>14691505
yeh my dad doesnt see that side of it, but i do have quite a few mechanically mided friends who know a shit ton about old cars as there dads have like old falcons n shit, statsmen and whot not. I serisouly am lost atm though, the wrx was legit bae hahahha (the looks).
>>14691511
>>
>>14691511
I have in mind getting a lancer or a honda prelude. but idk bro, we will see.
>>
>>14691519
Yeah i know what you mean but hey look if you really want the car then get her in the end it is your choice i love my WRX and don't regret buying it at all and you and your mates will have a tonne of fun fixing her up and going for cruises in it.
>>
>>14691553
I mean the one here imo is a steal, but hell idk shit.
If i dont get this one i will be sure to get one. a hawkeye my99 wrx gc9 white, will always be my pick.

Here is the ad if anybody wanted it.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/millbridge/cars-vans-utes/1999-subaru-gc-impreza-wrx/1107437921

Thankyou everybody for your opinions and your help. you guys are true legends!

Atm my mind is telling me no, but my body ofc it telling me yes for the wrx. I probs wont get it though cuz of insurance prices n whot not. but it will always be there in the back of my mind.
>>
>>14691573
Looks good to me the paint work is an easy fix and fun as hell if i was looking for a new suubie id offer 2.5 cash for it see if he takes the bait and haggle a little while i am unsure of WA's laws as i live in the faggot state of victoria however i spent my P's coping fines and demerit points driving a WRX ( I lost my license just to instantly lose it when i got it back due to demerit points rolling over ) so if it is the same over there you would probably be in the same boat.
>>
>>14691536
>honda prelude

Just get a civic stick shift, cheap to fix and you can beat the piss out of it forever
>>
>>14691536
>>14691603
Fuck this guy, preludes look sweet and are way more fun to drive.
>>
>>14691607
Not as easy and cheap to fix though
>>
>>14691616
Yeah I guess but unless you're dealing with like an SH suspension, it isn't that much harder
>>
>>14691630
Yeah but Civic is so easy, plus it has a guide for everything you'll ever need to do. Its a great car just to learn how things work on and how to repair.

And thats coming from a domestic kinda guy
>>
>>14691599
how much did u have to pay for insurance?
>>
>>14691650
i will now also look for civics and if i find a good one i might just get it. but yeh we will see hahha
>>
>>14691198
HONDA CIVIC YOU FUCKWIT
>>
>>14691674
I think it be a good option, maybe an accord as well. Might even look at a corolla.
>>
>>14691676
kb cunt
>>
>>14691674
Also who ever is selling that car will say anything to sell it. I wouldn't trust anything he says about repairs. For the record I never seen a carbon cleanse fix anything.

Don't trust any compression numbers from him either. Also being a Sub its gonna need head gaskets. No if ands or buts about it.
>>
>>14691716
so should i take it to the mechanic b4 i buy it? fi i even do buy it.
>>
>>14691733
If your heart is set on it then yes, make sure he does a leak down test as well. I bet a billion burger bucks it will fail it. Also take a close look at the suspension stuff because it has been hooned around in.

I do like subaru I just think they are not great as a budget daily driver, esp the older ones with the head gasket issues.
>>
>>14691744
so should i just text him, "is there a mechanic near your that we can get to check the car to make sure its all good?" Im not really the best with negotiation or persuasion.
>>
>>14691652
Sorry was watching Vikings, i never got insurance was too costly and i was still doing my apprenticeship as a chef was living off 100$ a week after i was paying off my car + rent and bills lol.

However i agree with the guy above, let the guy know you are really interested and see if you can go with a cruise with him before or after work for a bit if you aren't very good at negotiation thats cool just let tell him you would be happy to pay the 4,000 if you can take it to a mechanic to have a look at it and a bit of a drive in it if they think its pretty good.

Just make sure you pick the mechanic as in the end it could be a mate of his and would sell it up to make you jump at it to later find out you bought a 4,000 car and have to put another 3,000 in it.

That way if the mechanic lists off a huuge amount of shit you can just be like "well its going to be to much to fix XYZ so can i give you 3 for it " you and guy might get along during the drive and will be easier to negotiate with.
>>
>>14691771
Find one on your own, do a google search on it. Call the shop and just tell em you wanna swing by with a car for a presale inspection.

Then call the seller and tell em your interested but you need to take it to a shop to get looked over. If the dude is legit he'll agree without an issue, if he even gives you a little lip hes trying to unload a shit box.

The inspection should only be like 50 bucks but thats in burger bucks. Not sure what it is down under but i would think about the same
>>
>>14691800
i already offered him $2.9k without even looking at the car and he said its reasonable. would he have to pay for the mechanic check or me? there is also the problem that he lives 2hr away from me and i would need 2 parents to come with (one to drive our car there and back and then the other to drive the wrx as im on me L's)
>>
>>14691804
ill text him and ask him, but yeh as i said in my previous post its a little harder than the normal sale as im on my L's and the place is a 2hr drive
>>
>>14691811
>would he have to pay for the mechanic
usually buyer pays because they want the mechanic.
>he lives 2hr away
>i would need 2 parents to come with
You better be a good boy.
>>
>>14691811
being 2 hours away is even better as he will know you are not just a tyre kicker ( Someone who just goes around testing peoples cars for shits and giggles ) However you will probably have to pay for it but you are saving yourself some bucks getting it for 2.9 so paying 150$ for an inspection is fine just make sure you say that you want to take it to a mechanic before you buy it which will take a few hours but will be worth it.
>>
>>14691820
I wouldn't ask him, just google for a shop close to the address. And yeah you would be on the hook for it.
>>
>>14691830
so id be like, would it be fine if we swing it by a shop b4 i buy it?
>>
>>14691840
Yup, thats all you gotta say, Could even be an empty threat because if knows its a POS he will tr and talk you out of it but if hes like "yeah sure man" itsd a good sign hes being legit with you,

Though the TPS and carbon cleanse stuff is total bullshit and also like I said it will need head gaskets sooner then later
>>
>>14691858
how much does a head gasket cost to replace?
>>
>>14691882
looking at a full set around 300$ but they will last you a life time.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.