[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jeep noob/chipping question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (147KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
147KB, 1024x768px
Just bought this 2011 2dr Rubicon with 19k mi, 3.8L 6spd for 22k

My first jeep, so not sure what to do in terms of mawdz

My question is, is chipping and running it a viable option, considering warranty (got 5yrs) and have to take it off before servicing.

How complicated is it to take the chip off before I take the car to the dealer in case some shit goes wrong?

Anyone have experiences with chipping jeeps?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I had a Scion xD lease (credit reasons) that I am super glad to finally get past and become a proud owner of a great vehicle, in other words, "/o/ certified".
>>
>>14688424
>buying a Chrysler product
You dun goofed
>>
>>14688424
>How complicated is it to take the chip off before I take the car to the dealer in case some shit goes wrong?
What chip?

The concept of chipping applies ONLY to vehicles built from 1988 and 1995. Those cars are OBD1 and had a removable chip that would need to be reprogrammed. Nothing was standardized so the difficulty of removing/installing ships varied vehicle to vehicle. The lack of standardization is why all 1996+ vehicles got OBD2.

With OBD2, there is no such thing as chipping. To change the computer tune, you plug a laptop into the OBD2 port (legally required to be within 12 inches of the steering wheel inside the car) and download a tune onto the factory computer. So much simpler.

However, in many cases, the factory computer you reflash will keep track of when the tune was changed. This is usually found on cars the automaker expects to be commonly modified so they can sniff out morons who modify a car, said modification ruins the car, and then expect the factory to pay for the dumbass's mistake via the warranty.

TLDR: it's impossible to chip any 1996+ car/truck. There's no chip to remove/replace.
>>
File: average_brit.jpg (66KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
average_brit.jpg
66KB, 1024x768px
This is one of the finest quality trolls I've seen on /o/ in a while.

i r8 ur b8 8/8 m8 well worth the h8

you almost had me, up until you mentioned leasing a Scion xD and calling a Wrangler a "great vehicle"
>>
>>14688540
>>14688596
Kek, keep at it jellyfags

Still as reliable as a wrx (my first choice but didn't work out)
>>
>>14688577
I keep reading about guys "super chipping" their jeeps on the forums and figured I would ask my fellow fagg/o/ts for their shitty opinion. So, it can definitely be done in some way or another. But like I said, I am a complete scrub when it comes to mechanical shit
>>
>>14688696
They're probably referring to a Jeep-specific device for tuning their vehicles with reflash tunes like I mentioned.

Other examples of reflash products/companies include:
HPTuners
Superchips
Bama
Trifecta Performance

the list goes on and on, but those are off the top of my head.
>>
File: SU3842_17_1000.jpg (87KB, 927x1000px) Image search: [Google]
SU3842_17_1000.jpg
87KB, 927x1000px
>>14688723
Note that the Superchips, Trifecta and Bama ones come with their own idiot-proof programmers with pre-loaded tuned.

Systems like HPTuners uses require a laptop and are pretty in-depth requiring learning the program, but the results are more personalized tunes.

pic related
>>
File: 1446485712190.jpg (59KB, 535x432px) Image search: [Google]
1446485712190.jpg
59KB, 535x432px
>>14688686

So a 2011 Jeep Wrangler that has a myriad of known mechanical and engineering issues, including horrendous front-end problems, is as reliable as a WRX?

1.) The Subaru WRX is not known for being a reliable vehicle, they have their own special host of problems and typically require a good deal of maintenance. They can last a good long time, but not without a lot of attention.

2.) You drive a Chrysler product. Not just any product, but the WORST RATED SUV in terms of reliability.

3.) Literally no one on this board is jealous of a 2011 Wrangler. About the only Jeeps /o/ will tolerate are old ones, heavily modified ones, and XJs.

4.) The fact that you were looking at both a WRX and Jeep Wrangler tells me you are a fucking asshat and know nothing about vehicles. You probably drink MONSTER and watch UFC.

5.) Welcome to /o/ you congenitally-defective fuckwad, you'll fit right in :^)
>>
I have a 2011 JKU and it has been an absolute piece of shit. I would never. never buy another jeep after I'm done this one. Besides the shitty ride (I knew I was going to have to deal with it, but it is really bad) the fucking thing has been electronivcally a nightmare, I havent even bet the shit out of it in the woods yet but consdiering how bad it has been in the city I dont ecpect much.

>do not buy jeep
>>
why do people say JK has a bad ride

it's a fucking luxury yacht
>>
>>14688424

How are the 2000~ era Jeep Liberty's?

>inb4 Chrysler shit
>>
Keep the bushings and suspension in check and you wont have to deal with any nightmares involving death wobble. Also, with the NP241OR 4:1, you should have no problem going off road. Not to mention, the 3.5 in the new ones are loads better than the 3.8, but itll still hang in there when ya need it.
>>
>>14689049
>How are the 2000~ era Jeep Liberty's?

ayyyyyyyyyyy is this a serious question or more trolling
>>
>>14689070
srs friendo , When i get back from Basic, Im probably going to look into the Jeep liberty and other v6 crossovers, but the Liberty is my favorite so far. any info would be greatly appreciated
>>
>>14689095

buy a RAV4 instead, it's a better vehicle in literally every single way. you're absolutely wasting your fucking money if you spend it on a Liberty.

on any Jeep product, really, but especially on a Liberty. about the only thing worse would be a Patriot or Compass.
>>
>>14689259

nice, thought as much from all the banter, Ill keep an eye out for the rav4 in a v6

hey.... thanks man
>>
>>14688577
You have absolutely no fucking idea what youre talking about.
>>
>>14689259
How about a 4 runner instead?
>>
File: 50shades.jpg (56KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
50shades.jpg
56KB, 720x720px
>>14689374

NP homebrew. V6 RAV4s are pretty mighty little vehicles, fuckers do 0-60 in like 5.5 seconds too. Not bad for a 3600lbs FWD-biased mallcrawler.

Just make sure you get one with 4WD, there is the odd cuck who was stupid enough to buy a RAV4 in 2WD.

>tfw I see some faggot with a RAV2
>>
File: RAV4V6SPORT.jpg (99KB, 1000x672px) Image search: [Google]
RAV4V6SPORT.jpg
99KB, 1000x672px
>>14689412

If you've ever heard of the Taco Tax, there exists an equally absurd markup for 4Runners. Sure, they are very reliable and quite capable offroad, but you'll pay a shitton for something with high mileage and a decent amount of wear on it. They only have a V6 and it's nothing to brag about, they're not overly quick either. They are heavy though, given their underpinnings, so they're pigs on gas. A RAV4 with the 3.5L V6 is probably a better alternative unless you plan to go offroading on a regular basis, or you plan to tow a lot. Even then the 4Runner can't tow much more than the V6 RAV4 (5000lbs vs. 3500lbs IIRC?).

The older V8 4Runners are somewhat rare and they had some issues with the valve control, or so I heard. Plus they are brutes on gas. Probably better to avoid those, and just get a V6 if you do settle on a 4Runner.

I don't know if handling is an issue for you either, but basically the RAV4 handles like a sedan and the 4Runner handles like a truck. One is fairly agile, the other is boaty and top-heavy. Depends what you like to drive.
>>
Thinking of getting a 2016 Jeep Wrangler 2dr for daily driver. How retarded am I?
>>
>>14689399
> calls one of the few knowledgeable tripfags wrong
>doesn't explain how

bitch all you want. The tripfag is right.
>>
>>14689751

we already had this troll, it was OP
>>
>>14689751
For what everyone is saying the new Wranglers are quite reliable and much more comfortable than my TJ. I prefer the 4.0 because it is much more proven, but the 3.6 has shown to be good for a V6. Best thing is these days all JKs get a D44 rear.

Protip: Get a hardtop factory and a soft top from Quadratec.
>>
Get an xterra
>>
All the "Chrysler hurrdurr" faggots,

That's why you get a warranty on a possible problem child.

How fucking retarded can you be, holy fuck. Or a you faggots just poor?
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.