[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I buy a motorcycle instead of a car? I just turned 18

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: download (1).jpg (8KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
8KB, 275x183px
Should I buy a motorcycle instead of a car? I just turned 18 and I'm trying to save up money to get a car, but I'm finding that insurance is going to be a fuck ton of money(I'm working in fast food part time)along with the car itself, and I think a motorcycle would be a more enjoyable way of transportation anyway.

My parents are not too happy about the idea of me getting a motorcycle but I am 18 so they really have no say in it, but I will still consider their thoughts.

Is a motorcycle dangerous as fuck even if I don't act like a massive dummy on it? How much is the insurance?
>>
>>14680543
A bike like that might be, you only live once, also only die once. Also could be maimed. Depends on climate as well, you should probably get a bike insurance quote too, its just lower not because you are safer on bike, you can't do as much damage to other people and things as all is the logic. Theft insurance is usually more. Might be a wash, sucks to be young, really. Well sucks to be old, in fact the world just sucks all around now.
>>
a bike as a DD is literally a horrible idea and only horrible people do it. you're better off buying a piece of human shit for a vehicle like a honda and saving your money to get a bike recreationally instead of your only means of getting somewhere.
>>
my first vehicle was a 1976 500 cc yamaha

i loved it

it freaked my grandparents out so much that used it to go to work that they bought me a car

if you're careful they're not terribly dangerous
>>
>>14680543
It's definitely doable, depends on the climate where you live and how comfortable you are on a bike. I DD'd a motorcycle as my sole vehicle for almost 2 years without major issues. However, if you live somewhere that's particularly cold and/or rainy it would be pretty miserable. Make sure to get decent gear and a backpack, and you'll be set. FI bikes are huge step up in convenience from carbed, so get one (ie 2nd gen SV650) if your can. And I'd highly recommend against getting a supersport style bike as your DD, they're uncomfortable as fuck to cruise on for longer periods especially if you aren't on the track (and insurance will be much higher).
>>
1. A motorcycle is not cheaper to run than a small used car. New chain every 15k miles, lube, tires (every 6k miles), often surprisingly poor gas mileage, personal gear required (think one grand in addition to the bike itself).

2. Insurance will tear you a new asshole if you buy a sportbike as an 18yo.

3. Yes, they are far, far more dangerous. Looking back at my own driving career, I am 95% sure I would have died if I had bought my first bike at 18, instead of at 28, with ten years of experience in traffic under my belt. Even today, at 41 and with over 50.000 miles on two wheels I avoid city driving like the plague, that's where most accidents happen especially with bikes. No way would I get one as my daily transport.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.