[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Manual OK for long commute?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: shrugging-guy.jpg (789KB, 2122x1415px) Image search: [Google]
shrugging-guy.jpg
789KB, 2122x1415px
So I spend about two hours a day driving to and from work, usually in slow moving (stop and go) traffic. I am 28 and I have never driven a manual, but I since I am a virgin and I live with my mom I want to buy a fancy fast car. I want to get it automatic due to traffic, but I think /o/ will make fun of me. Is manual OK for stop and go traffic?
>>
>>14669662
>I am a virgin and I live with my mom

just stick with automatic
>>
>>14669662
Nothing wrong with an automatic DD. If you are buying a performance car though it MUST be a manual.
>been looking to buy a c4 corvette. They are all automatics.
Why?
>>
You'll get sick of it. Manuals are fun when you want driving to be fun. In stop an go it'll be a pain in the ass.
>>
Manual becomes a game of creeping along in first, actually improving traffic flow. Get something with a light clutch and it's pretty comfy.
>>
you're not enough of a man to handle a manual son.
>>
>>14669689
>performance car
>corvette
>>
>>14669662
Depends on you. I'd be happy to drive a manual car in traffic. You might not.

Why don't you find an alternate route to work that's more fun?
>>
>>14669695

It's really not.
>>
>>14669662
What really matters is if it's comfortable.
>>
get a gti with the fancy trans. auto when you want it, flappy paddles for hooning
>>
>>14672728
it really is
>>
>>14672728
>I only see traffic once a month

It is annoying. Stop and go is both harder on the clutch and hard on your left leg.

I live in the city and I love having a manual, but, my commute doesn't have stop and go traffic; just normal traffic lights and a Parkway. It's also fine if I end up in traffic a few times a month if I'm leaving the city or something. But two hours each day in stop and go? Get an auto.

You'll have an easier time finding an auto shitbox for commuting, resale will be better, and you won't hate traffic as much. Can always buy a manual on the side for weekends and such.
>>
>>14669662
I live in Vancouver, commute about 2 hours a day in a manual, lots of lines waiting to get through a tunnel. You get used to it, probably save gas by being in neutral
>>
>>14669662
A manual is okay and BETTER THAN AUTOMATIC for every single driving situation.
Even cruising at high speed, you're still burning less fuel due to lighter weight and less powertrain losses.
>>
File: 00x0x_lEAOERATdpR_600x450.jpg (43KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
00x0x_lEAOERATdpR_600x450.jpg
43KB, 600x450px
>>14669662
its honestly not that bad, esp if its a 4banger with a light clutch
i drive a g35 with a heavy clutch thats an off and on switch on my 2 sometimes 4 hr commute
>>
>>14669662
20-30 minutes a day of stop and go with a manual might not be that bad. But 2 hours of it would be a collossal pain in the ass. What kind of car(s) are we talking here?
>>
>>14672728
I drive long distances in manual and everytime I get in traffic its buttfrustratingly annoying, >hill starts
>people speeding up then slamming on brakes
It adds a ton of wear to your clutch also
>>
>>14673054
As far as I know and this may not apply to every car but I think gas is not injected at all when the car is in gear with no throttle, as opposed to when the car is in neutral and burns gas like it does in idle.
>>
File: z5.jpg (425KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
z5.jpg
425KB, 3264x1836px
>>14673090
Fellow on-off clutch/VQ master race reporting in
>>
Depends on the car. Very sporty cars usually have stiff clutches that fatigue your foot quickly in traffic.

My GTI has the softest cutch ive encountered. Doesn't bother me in then slightest.
>>
How in the fuck do you guys drive that far to work? If your making enough money to make you even consider it then get a fucking place there good lord
>>
File: 1450176263772.jpg (52KB, 500x558px) Image search: [Google]
1450176263772.jpg
52KB, 500x558px
>>14669662
>Manual OK for long commute?

No, you'll be miserable and have a sore left leg.

Get a manual for a fun weekend car. The aggravation is not worth it.
>>
fucking americans whining about their poor left leg again ffs
>>
>>14673360
How's your fuel mileage?

Also I should have read the rest of the op and not the subject line when I posted this >>14673378

Jesus op
>>
>>14673378
Yeah, I've been daily driving manual cars exclusively for more than 20 years, and the only time it really gets annoying is stop and go freeway traffic. I would not want to do that for 2 hours a day. If it was a more "normal" commute time with less freeway traffic I'd say go for it.
>>
>>14672728
what about stop in go on hills, plus you're in Richmond, VA so literally everybody is cutting you off and riding your ass because hardly anybody knows manuals are even a thing anymore
>>
File: IMG_4478.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4478.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>14673360
what >>14673389 said, whats your mpg?
im getting 14 with 90% city which blows
>>
>>14672728
I do stop and go traffic every fucking day, I wanted to kill mysellf. I've got an auto for the commute and it's great.
The manual is absolute shit in stop and go traffic and having a powerful car in stop and go traffic is maddening.
>>
>>14669662
Just get auto I wouldn't feel like doing that all the time in manual plus I'm half asleep going to work
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.