[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/panthergeneral/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 11

File: IMG_0626.jpg (126KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0626.jpg
126KB, 800x600px
/panthergeneral/
>>
>>14665572

Got an 07 CVPI. The strangest thing happened to me today.

I was driving up this very steep hill. Normally this wouldn't be an issue, but the speed limit on this hill is only 30 so I always turn off overdrive before I climb it. Otherwise at such a steady low speed/rpm the car wants to shift into OD, then struggles with the anemic OD gear and goes back into first, only to drop back into OD and repeat. So I've scaled this hill a million times before with OD off, but today my car did something very strange. I was climbing the hill with OD off and hit a huge pothole. As I hit the pothole the OD light on my dash turned off and the car dropped down into OD.

Anyone got an explanation for this? I tested out my OD and OD OFF, both still work fine. No idea what happened when I hit that pothole and why it turned itself off though.
>>
>>14665591
Fucking with it in the first place. Just drive the car the way is meant to don't play with shit.
>>
>>14665660
Dude, Fords AOD has been shit since the dawn of time. It's always jumping between OD and 1. Hills like the one described are exactly why you're able to turn it off on a dime.
>>
File: spicy.jpg (494KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
spicy.jpg
494KB, 2048x1152px
>>14665572
*sneaks in*
>>
File: 20150728_050616.jpg (893KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20150728_050616.jpg
893KB, 2048x1152px
>>14665695
*goes to sleep in the Panthers' cave*
>>
File: ubbthreads.jpg (18KB, 450x337px) Image search: [Google]
ubbthreads.jpg
18KB, 450x337px
>>14665572

s55 tails, yay or nay?
>>
>>14667112
Yay
>>
File: spoiler.jpg (26KB, 425x319px) Image search: [Google]
spoiler.jpg
26KB, 425x319px
>>14667112
too lewd without a spoiler
>>
File: vic with 03 cobra bumper cover.jpg (656KB, 1200x798px) Image search: [Google]
vic with 03 cobra bumper cover.jpg
656KB, 1200x798px
front mod too
>>
File: ricercv02.jpg (41KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
ricercv02.jpg
41KB, 600x480px
>>14667227
>spoiler
>>
>>14667112
That looks pretty damn good
>>
>>14667112
Rice
>>
ITT: we wish we were cops
>>
>>14668106
>2016
>Pretending to be cop in a crown Vic

Shut up faggot, chargers and challengers are more guilty of that at this point.
Fucking autists...
>>
>>14665572
Recommended tires?
I have the 17" wheel
>>
>>14669165
Any Toyo summer tires, or Nittos I hear good things from. OEM Goodyear Eagle RSAs are garbage and wear like shit.
>>
File: received_10205962628092589.jpg (164KB, 1776x999px) Image search: [Google]
received_10205962628092589.jpg
164KB, 1776x999px
Everything is good under the hood of my '11 P7B

>not dd'ing a V8
>hating your freedom
>>
>14665572
>be me
>07 cvpi
>cruisin the naked city enjoying some pot n tunes
>ricer civic pulls up to intersection
>trying to rice.jpg
>be stoplight
>you turn green
>civic launches forward with the speed and agility of a gazelle
>cvpi blasts off with the power of a rhino and the bloodthirsty will of a lion
>I shoot ahead like an arrow and before even 200 meters the civic is long behind

Crown Vic masterrice
>>
>>14669153
this
>>
>>14670785
>2011 vehicle
>looks like its from 1989

toplel
>>
File: DSC_2586.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2586.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>
>>14673064
>not wanting to drive a car that looks like its from 1989

Pleb detected
>>
>>14673064
Modern cars look like shit senpai whats wrong with an old bodystyle
>>
File: 1435201343921.jpg (888KB, 960x2648px) Image search: [Google]
1435201343921.jpg
888KB, 960x2648px
>>
>>14674197
This isnt even funny anymore lol
>>
>>14665591
ok listen up you dumbfuck

fucking listen
you fucking retard
having OD on or OFF at 30 mph doesnt make a FUCKING DIFFERENCE. let the car shift as it wants to because cvpi's DONT shift prematurely and struggle. the od ONLY changes the preset on whether it can shift into the final gear, and there is no way ur cvpi is shifting into the final gear at 30mph

so FUCK OFF FAGGOT
>>
>>14674423
>cvpi's DONT shift prematurely and struggle
>the od ONLY changes the preset on whether it can shift into the final gear

Are you kidding? Do you even understand what an overdrive gear is? It's not the final gear. It's their to take stress off the engine and increase gas mileage. Cars will shift into OD from any gear at steady cruising speeds. The Ford AOD is notorious for doing exactly this. It's always wanting to shift into OD for better MPGs and then back into first for more power. It's even more erratic in CVPIs and Mustangs due to their more aggressive tunes.
>>
>>14674456
alright dumbfuck

do you even know what your talking about?

explain to me, in ur definition, of what an "overdrive gear" is.

lets hear it. do you evne know how a fuckin transmission works? have yo ueven LOOKED at one physically? god this board is over run with fuckin morons
>>
>>14674471

It's a less aggressive cruising gear intended to lower RPMs, increase MPGs and reduce wear and noise.
>god this board is over run with fuckin morons

Sure is and you're one of them. OP is doing exactly what you're supposed to do by turning it off while climbing a steep grade.
>>
>>14674471

Different anon, but your text looks like a smashed crab and you appear to be about as thick as manure but only half as useful. I can almost hear your anger and clenching stomach as you furiously mistyped your shit. Ease off on the insulting intelligence thing when your own is looking pretty dodge.

Is an AOD overdrive an actual gear or just TC lockup? Plenty of automatic transmissions use TC lockup to simulate another ratio. Like the Trimatic, it could lockup from second. Strange feeling having unlocked first, locked and unlocked second and locked and unlocked third.
>>
>>14674546
>>14674539
alright ur both dumbfucks

overdrive is any gear that has a better than 1:1 engine:driveshaft revolution.

i.e. 3rd gear is typically 1:1 on most makes and models that use a 4 speed auto tranny which is quite popular in 90s and 2000s cars.

4th gear (the overdrive gear) is usually something like .8:1 or better, where you can turn an engine .8 of a revolution and get the driveshaft to turn over once.

on ford aod's, ur overdrive gear (IS THE FINAL GEAR) and is .67:1 ratio. i can absolutely guarantee your car isnt slipping into overdrive at 30 mph. It isn't notorious for wanting to shift into the overdrive and then "back to 1st." That doesn't happen. It never happens. You may mean shift into 2nd, and then to 1st. But it never happens that way. your a fuckin moron

now eliminating overdrive manually just forces your 4 speed transmission to operate like a 3 speed. THATS IT. There is no magical "overdrive" gear the car just hops into that decreases rpm. ur LITERALLY retarded.

Now, if OP is climbing a steep grade, he can just leave the car as is and it will choose the proper gear. If it slips into OD, from 3rd, or the transmission locks in 3rd, which is probably what is hapepning but OP is too stupid ot understand that it is, then just leave it. he obviously doesnt need the power, he just wants to feel like he has the power. its 2 different things. no car literally ever upshifts out of a gear it needs to climb a gradient. thats just not true. it may upshift and not feel like you have as much power, but it CERTAINLY doesn't upshift and make you fucking chug/strain the engine like a manual feels when ur in 3rd gear at 20 mph up a hill.

case in point ,FUCK OFF< your a fucking moron and dont ever post again
>>
>>14674813

Haha oh wow man, the CVPI does bring out the aspergers in everyone.

Don't stress, I'd say a fair few people know about over and under driven gears. Still, some transmissions will simulate another gear by locking the torque converter. I'm sorry this makes you upset, but that's fairly common. I wondered if the AOD does this, and apparently it does not.

4l60e behind a 3800, Trimatic behind a 308, Allison something or other behind Perkins 6.534, all of these I have driven that have grabbed second from first or third from second up a gradient and bogged down. It's a fallacy for you to believe that every transmission behaves how you think they behave, or that every transmission is in perfect condition and is shifting as designed.

Why do you say it never happens, is that because the handful of cars you may have driven don't behave that way? The experience you've had with your econobox allows you to know for certain the operation of every torque converting automatic transmission? Your depth of knowledge could be sounded with a Frankfurt.

Case in point, now don't ever post again! Jeesus christ dude, far out.
>>
Panther threads really are a hotbed of angry autistic fights
>>
>>14667112
ugly
>>
>>14675969
>Still, some transmissions will simulate another gear by locking the torque converter. I'm sorry this makes you upset, but that's fairly common. I wondered if the AOD does this, and apparently it does not.

the aod does this. 3 physical gears 4th is actually lockup on 3rd
>>
>>14675992
I don't know what you were expecting.
Only autists would drive this shitty car
>>
>>14679348
That makes no fuckin sense m8, lockup doesn't actually change the gear ratio it just stops the torque converter from slipping.
>>
File: aod input shafts.jpg (92KB, 463x395px) Image search: [Google]
aod input shafts.jpg
92KB, 463x395px
>>14679348
>the aod does this. 3 physical gears 4th is actually lockup on 3rd
No.

The AOD had 4 forward gears. However the torque converter does not have a separate clutch like most other trans do. The trans has two input shafts, one inside the other, and in 1st and 2nd the outer input shaft is used that transmits power from the impeller. When 3rd (Direct) is engaged that clutch connects to the inner input shaft which takes power directly from the converter body and is a direct mechanical connection. 4th (OD) is also driven by the inner input shaft.

Pic related: Outer shaft is the stator shaft which holds the stator in the torque converter and does not rotate. Middle shaft is the outer input shaft and the inner is the inner input shaft
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.