[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ROAD TRIP THREAD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 10

File: 118.jpg (3MB, 4272x2848px) Image search: [Google]
118.jpg
3MB, 4272x2848px
Hey guys, this is a bit of a unique one but i figure it will be fun.

>Share stories of past road trips
>Share plans for your upcoming road trips
>Get ideas from other anons about where you could go
>Share ideas of how to make your road trip better (snacks, things to bring, ect)

I'll start in the next post with some of my past road trips and my upcoming planned one.

Try and use the same format if you can guys.
>>
>>14664506

Country/Reigon
>Victoria, Australia

Car(s)
>R33 GTR, Econobox toyota avalon and soon to have some sort of 4wd (not sure what's good yet, i haven't really researched)

Places visited
>Nearly everywhere surrounding melbourne, spend a lot of time in the yarra valley, great ocean road and kinglake areas, great roads up there

Upcoming road trip plan
>Great alpine road
>Been through there before but so much more to explore up there
>Will be going back as soon as my GTR is fixed (i don't trust the avalon on those roads plus it's not fun)
>Planning on checking out nariel valley, some more of omeo and wineries at bright

If anyone wants to ask me anything about good roads in the places i've been, restaurants to visit, 3spooky5me shit don't hesitate
>>
File: DSCN1616.jpg (2MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1616.jpg
2MB, 3648x2736px
Best road trips I've been on in the last few years-
SF to NY in 5 days in an E92 M3 (shit car but fun trip nonetheless), with me and a dog, was taking the dog back to NY because after hurricane Sandy the family couldn't find a way to get the dog on the plane for a few weeks. Took 50/70 the whole way, highly recommend over 80

Last year drove from SF to southern Utah, hit up everything, drove off road a lot and camped for free in BLM land.

This summer I'm going up to Whistler/Squamish, then heading east into Montana and Idaho, going to be a 10 day trip or so.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>14664537
GTR with engine out, should be done by the end of the month. Can't wait to go on another long ass road trip
>>
>>14664539
What's BLM land?

And what's the most interesting thing you saw along the way?
>>
File: bright-trees.jpg (265KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
bright-trees.jpg
265KB, 500x334px
Pic related, this is bright. It's a small victorian town at the edge of the great alpine road with a whole load of nice wineries.
>>
File: DSC_0436.jpg (1MB, 1473x2200px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0436.jpg
1MB, 1473x2200px
>>14664565
BLM land is federal/public land that you can camp on pretty much wherever for free. It's for the most part what I plan my trips around since my rig is totally self contained and I hate campgrounds. IDK what the most interesting thing is, will have to think and look through pictures, I do road trips 3 weeks out of the year so I've seen a lot of strange stuff
>>
>>14664600
Oh that's interesting, so it's not really campgrounds? More like open space you're free to go on and find your own?

Sounds a bit like our national parks here in australia, except we have nanny state rangers that will lose their shit if you try and start a campfire there.

What kind of stuff do you eat on road trips? I usually either eat at a local food place or bring a cooler to keep an antipasto platter in, making some sammichs.
>>
This is the great ocean road, it's a great drive but be warned, the first 100km of it will be packed with tourists and traffic cops trying to fine you, sadly.

It gets better though, just don't ever go on a holiday. It ends up packed, it's not really off the beaten path like the great alpine road can be.

Most people don't expect australia to be anything other than desert but we're actually quite diverse.

We've got rainforests, thick forests, snow capped mtns, lovely beaches, lagoons, the list goes on.

Sadly this state is a nanny state hellhole, but the nature more than makes up for it if you like lovely drives. And once you step outside melbourne into the countryside, the cops are a lot more chill. They're not out for quotas out there and will only nab you if you're being a stupid cunt, which is the complete opposite of the city where hidden speed traps are everywhere and they will get you for 3km/h over.
>>
I've done a ton of road trips. Hardest was doing a month long trip with my mom a couple years ago.

As for snacks, stick with water and maybe something to chew/suck on. It will help better than heavy meals or drinking caffeine.
>>
File: kinglake-1vplzaa.jpg (144KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
kinglake-1vplzaa.jpg
144KB, 800x533px
>>14664636
Agreed, water is the best.

Here in australia you can get two bottles of water from the supermarket for 2 bucks, big one litre bottles.

I always grab two of them to keep nice and chilled so i'm never without water.

Do you guys like to do long road trips (a few days) or short ones (a day and a bit or less)?

I find i do a lot of small day long road trips and then occasionally a long one. I don't work a regular 9-5 job so i have the luxury of going out when roads are not packed in the middle of the week, which is nice. As i mentioned above, some roads here get absolutely shitty on weekends or public holidays.

pic related is kinglake, it burned down in fires a few years ago but it's great scenery, even now as it's halfway in regrowth
>>
>>14664663

> Do you guys like to do long road trips (a few days) or short ones (a day and a bit or less)?

Depends on what I'm doing. I'm happy just taking a day trip for just the hell of it but long ones can be nice too. I did a two week drive up the PCH/west coast a few years ago and it was amazing.
>>
File: ashvillagenightwide_ahd1.jpg (934KB, 2362x1096px) Image search: [Google]
ashvillagenightwide_ahd1.jpg
934KB, 2362x1096px
>>14664675
This is MT buller, a popular ski resort. There's about 8 or 9 of these though and during summer when there's no snow, the roads leading up to them are amazing for a drive.
>>
>>14664506
use to do a lot of driving along the US 101, 6+ hours or 5 if i was hooning and would do round trips on the same day if needed.

beef jerky is your friend and if you get spicy one it'll keep you awake in lieu of coffee or meth lol
>>
Bought a '93 aerostar for specifically for a roadtrip last week.
>>
>>14664705
Ah nice, you excited? Where do you plan to go?
>>
File: ninetymile.jpg (25KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
ninetymile.jpg
25KB, 480x270px
90 mile beach
>>
Bump, anyone got any stories?
>>
>>14664539
Can you tell me a bit more about camping on BLM land? I'm going on my first road trip this summer to the redwoods and I've been told that camping on BLM land is a great way to reduce costs. Do you need a permit before you camp there or can you just drive up and set up camp?
>>
When are you going to move out of Cucktoria?
>>
File: all_us_public_lands_0.jpg (3MB, 2400x1844px) Image search: [Google]
all_us_public_lands_0.jpg
3MB, 2400x1844px
>>14664621
>>14665343
You can pretty much do whatever you want, shoot guns as long as it's not across a road and you have a good backstop, camp most places, have a fire, use OHV vehicles, the only rules really are don't be a moron. National Monument land is similar but sometimes you have to use existing camp sites (still free). Best bet is to research the area you are interested in and call the visitors center or local BLM office.
>>
>>14665473
wait does this mean people can't own homes in the red?

like they won't really own private property?

im a bit confused how that works
>>
>>14665483
Pretty much. That red stuff out west is the massive swathe of land that was still unsettled when the Homestead Act ended in the 1970s. If nobody had took it by then, nobody was going to.

It's largely unfarmable brushland or untamed wilderness, so it's no big loss. There's plenty of space in the US anyways.
>>
>>14664506
I loaded up my truck and an old pop-up camper with supplies and me and the girl I was dating at the time drove 1,000 miles over the Rockies into Moab, Utah for a few days. Did some wheeling and sight seeing at a couple of national parks, then packed up and headed back into Colorado to Ouray. We set up camp there for 5 days and wheeled a handful of beautiful trails including Imogene pass, Ophir pass, Black Bear pass Yankee Boy Basin and Governor's Basin. In all I think we drove about 2,500 miles from start to finish. The only thing I could complain about was getting 8 mpg the whole way when gas was $4/gallon.
>>
>>14665473
Damn I live in Colorado so it looks like basically anywhere I would be stopping has public land on the way to the Redwoods and back. I'm definitely going to look into this some more because this could save me lots of money.
>>
Has anybody ever driven Route 66 before? Is it worth doing it for the experience? Planning a road trip this summer and trying to decide between that and driving up the west coast.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.