[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Automatic Braking Systems To Become Standard On Most U.S. Vehicles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7

Some 20 carmakers have committed to making automatic emergency braking systems a standard feature on virtually all new cars sold in the U.S. by 2022, according to a new plan from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

"They (customers) need to understand that this is going to be something that they need to adapt to, where the car is doing things that are outside of your control. Which takes some getting used to because all the sudden you're like 'oh my gosh my car just stopped, and I didnt do that!'" -Rebecca Lindlan, Kelley Blue Book

How do you feel about this?
>>
It will only make people take even more risks and foster even lower driving standards overall
>>
It will stop retards from crashing into the good sports cars of old. Good idea.
>>
>>14663320
>How do you feel about this?
I was watching a honda commercial about auto-brake, thinking jesus I don't want my fucking car to do my driving for me.

then I remembered that a woman rear-ended me going 80kph last November. she hit me hard enough to spin me and push me into oncoming traffic, where I was hit head on.

I guess if automatic braking would've prevented that, I can see it being a good thing.
>>
>sorry your car didn't pass inspection
>your $2000 sensors and braking computer wasn't working, heh.
>>
>will become standard 6 years from now
>on new model vehicles from 2022 onwards
>won't count replicas

and yet we still have the unintelligent retards spewing shit from their mouths
>>
I am ok with this
>>
>pull out brake fuse
>enjoy
>>
>>14663336

That.

Forcing everyone to go through vehicle dynamics classes and a car crash simulation would be better. Like the helicopter dunker or someshit.
>>
Well, looks like if I want to buy a new car I better do it before 2022 because I don't want to deal with automatic braking. Hell, I don't like ABS.

>>14663320

Shut the fuck up, Becky.
>>
There's already automashit braking. It's called Emergency brake assist. it works By interpreting the speed and force with which the brake pedal is pushed, the system detects if the driver is trying to execute an emergency stop, and if the brake pedal is not fully applied, the system overrides and fully applies the brakes until the ABS takes over to stop the wheels locking up.

In October 2007 the European Commission announced that it wanted Brake Assist to be included on all new models sold in the EU as standard by 2009... But still those euro shitbox don't have brake assist and standard.

In conclusion: nothing to see in this thread and no worries about our cars becoming rolling computers for a long long time.
>>
>so thats 2 fuses i have to remove now, DRL and this shit
>>
More shit to break, and more things that encourage reckless driving.

You know who are the most careless drivers? It's not the people driving tiny shitboxes or sports cars, it's people who drive giant fucking SUVs or crossovers because they think it'll make their little snowflake safe. This just encourages their shitty behavior.
>>
>>14663556
i love the age old excuse
>why do i need to slow down in rain? i have a four wheel drive lol!
only now it's going to be
>why do i need to slow down? i have automatic braking lol!
>>
>>14663423
> enjoy rear-ending people
>>
>>14663579

I enjoy rear-ending your mom. She makes me a snack afterwards.
>>
>>14663590
whatever floats your boat m8
>>
>>14663568
>slowing down in the rain
Arr you driving on slicks m8? Increase your braking distance allowance yes, drive slower no. Unless it's really heavy rain.
>>
>>14663568
Now that you mention it, my father just bought a Mercedes E400 4Matic, and he told me the other day...

>This car is great! I don't even have to look in the rear mirrors, because the car tells me if things are there or not.

I was fucking livid... he's a menace on the road and his license should be taken away.
>>
Getting ever closer to that mandatory autopilot feature...
>>
>>14663608
well if it's just showering then you wont slow down
i mean when there's 10cm of water on the road
>>
File: rage notice.jpg (38KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
rage notice.jpg
38KB, 400x300px
>>14663320
>this is going to be something that they need to adapt to, where the car is doing things that are outside of your control
NO

FUCK FUCK NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!
NO!

How about his, here's something to "adapt to"
PUT DOWN YOUR MOTHERFUCKING PIECE OF SHIT SMARTPHONE FOR 5 MINUTES AND FUCKING DRIVE

DON'T TEXT
DON'T TALK
DON'T DICK AROUND WITH SHIT IN YOUR CAR
DON'T TURN AROUND AND TALK TO YOUR STUPID BRATS
PAY FUCKING ATTENTION AND FUCKING DRIVE
PAY ATTENTION AND DRIVE
>>
>>14663336
Yep. Just like how airbags made people think no seatbelts was safer.

Automobile deaths spiked after the implementation of airbags. Look it up.
>>
The less the flesh bags have control, the better.
>>
File: mOnvOJGh.jpg (95KB, 977x1024px) Image search: [Google]
mOnvOJGh.jpg
95KB, 977x1024px
>>14664523
>>
>>14664392
I see technology like this easier to implement than trying to change human nature. You can't really train someone to be able to focus on an area larger than a fingernail for longer than a few seconds, or make them effectively keep track of everything that should be tracked at once, or fight against bad feedback where they manage to get away with talking on the phone or driving drunk once or twice and think they'll always get away with it. Smartphones aren't the only or first distraction either. You have plain old inattention, the scenery, accidents, etc all creating distractions along with what you have listed. I've drifted off lane a few times because of billboards.
>>
>>14664523

hey skynet, program a female t-1000 to suck my dick all night or something instead of shitposting on azerbaijani tea cosy 3d printing collectives
>>
> The customer needs to adapt to losing all control of their lives
That's what I got from this
>>
>>14663608
enjoy hydroplaning into a cement divider faggot.
>>
>>14664601
Shhh, just trust in the state...
>>
>>14664582
Perfect safety is not preferable to autonomy. This is literally a slippery slope, culminating in the mandatory self-driving car.
>>
>>14664601
All for your own safety, of course.
>>
This shit better not brake for animals. I've taken out 2 critters since Christmas and I'm not about to waste break pad on some fools cat.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (24KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
24KB, 1280x720px
>>14663320
>this is going to be something that they need to adapt to, where the car is doing things that are outside of your control
>>
>>14664392
This is really all it boils down to. Either drunk or not paying attention.
>>
File: iwishthiswasyoujpg.jpg (66KB, 400x576px) Image search: [Google]
iwishthiswasyoujpg.jpg
66KB, 400x576px
>>14664392
This would solve more problems than all the safety features combined. Stupid fuckers caught using their phones while driving should be dragged out of their cars and be publicly beaten bloody with reeds. It should be a prime time TV show every Wednesday. Just beating the living shit out of people caught driving and texting for an hour or two.

You should be able to tag cars with a paintball gun or something similar every time you see someone driving and fucking with their phones. Then when a cop see a car with several paint spots on it, they pull them over and give them a $1000.00 ticket. Hell.....make it $10,000.

If you text and drive.....I hope you die in a fire.
>>
>>14664582

Agreed. People used to, for the most part, pay attention to their driving. Nowadays you can't drive 5 miles without seeing most people staring at their phone, or fucking with something in their car and not bothering to pay attention to their surroundings. Even the people not doing that don't seem to know how to turn their head to check their blind spots. They just glance at their mirrors and go. The reason we're getting all this nanny bullshit is because most people have the attention span of a grape and can't be bothered to actually drive.
>>
Now instead of brake checking people I'm going to make a little trap door that releases balloons that will trigger the sensor causing retards brakes to lock up involuntarily
>>
>>14663464

Yeah no shit you retarded tripfag, automatic brake assist is exactly what this is about, and there is something to see here because most of the major carmakers have made an agreement with the US government to implement it across the board by 2020. Read a book nigger.
>>
>>14663320
Makes me glad I got my motorcycle endorsement. No matter what bullshit tech they force upon cars I can always get a klr650 that hasn't changed for 20 years.
>>
>>14664616
Slippery slope is a fallacy. I prefer perfect safety, especially when it's been shown for years now that the enthusiast is a minority.
>>
>>14664601
Because the meat sack has shown over and over again, on a daily basis that it cannot adapt.
>>
>>14664730
Skynet pls go
>>
>>14664738
"no"
>>
>>14663320
How do any of you have a problem with this? Are you all ramming people and things with your cars all the time?
>>
>>14664803
muh slippery slope
>>
>>14664649

This
>>
>>14664803

The people who are constantly hitting shit are the ones that want this. Not people that can actually drive. I always thought /o/ was populated by the latter, but maybe I was wrong.
>>
>>14664927
It makes no difference to me. My current car could have this and I would never even know because I have never been in a situation where it would have activated. There are no downsides to this.
>>
>>14664939

The difference is sharing the road with even more drivers who don't think they should have to pay attention to the road cause the car can take care of it.
What do you think it's gonna be like when a new generation of drivers hits the roads who have never been required to drive without this feature?
>>
>>14665021
A generation grew up without yellow fever vaccinations, and yet there are no yellow fever epidemics.
>>
>>14664649
hell yes

motorcycle fag giving this full support
>>
>>14663320
>be a two lane country road
>three vehicles heading in one direction, one coming the other way
>a motorcycle goes to pass the two vehicles heading north
>oncoming car is coming closer so the motorcyclist cuts in front of the first car
>first car has auto braking, the system detects a vehicle directly in front of itself and slams the brakes on
>????
>auto brake car gets rear-ended

Wow gj, American'ts.
>>
>>14665051
But the car behind the one that autobraked should also have autobraking, Anon.
>>
>>14665051
Why is the third vehicle following too closely? His fault regardless if he has auto braking or not.
>>
>>14664939
So you'd be ok with a FBI agent following you around 24/7 just in case you might do something illegal, because you dont PLAN on breaking any federal laws?

It's a crutch for shitters who don't want to have to take responsibility for their own actions. The very people who need this shit should be taking the bus, but america can't into public transportation so i guess the rest of the world is going to have to suffer.
>>
Bet the FBI and all police departments will lobby for a law providing them with the power to shut down any car they deem necessary.

haha mericucks are fukcing DISGUSTEING SLAVES
>>
>>14665063
It'll take a while before every vehicle on the road has auto braking installed, Anon.

>>14665072
>he thinks people follow at a safe distance at al times
>>
If you believe that people are stupid and don't pay attention, then it's a good idea since you're less likely to be rear ended by morons.
>>
>>14664505

I have the dealership sales brochure for 1976 Oldsmobile full-size sedans (I used to have a '76 Delta 88).

In the brochure it shows airbags as an option, and I shit you not it says with airbags you don't need seatbelts.
>>
>>14664505
Hmm maybe because there are more cars on the road now.
>>
I feel this is going to make it easier for criminals as they can just walk out in front of a car and it will stop for them. Then they can proceed to do whatever they want to the driver.
>>
>>14664927
I've never had an at fault accident and I think this is a great idea.

Like some other anon ITT said, most of these problems could be solved if you could get people to pay attention and to ignore distractions. But that's just the thing.

You can program a car to do whatever you want, you can't program people. This technology could save peoples lives from the reckless people who just don't pay much attention on the road. Fender benders would be a lot less common
>>
if its too the point of if the brakes arent pressed you will crash automatic braking goes off it should apply the brakes full force suddenly and make a loud noise to whip drivers necks and punish them for not paying attention while also protecting someone else from getting hit
>>
File: i_robot_film_spooners_accident.jpg (14KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
i_robot_film_spooners_accident.jpg
14KB, 640x360px
SAVE HER

SAVE THE GIRL
>>
>>14668024
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION MODE ACTIVATED
>>
File: 1454572461783.jpg (314KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1454572461783.jpg
314KB, 1920x1080px
>>14667544
This is a good idea
>until the car can automatically lock the doors, windows, and identify the individuals retina/facial construction alerting local PD to his local while triggering all nearby cellular devices/security cameras and creating a matrix of photo/video information with which to catch said criminal stupid enough to get in front of a networked "smartgrid"-vehicle.

We're fucked
>>
>>14668203
Jesus, I'm just going to leave the country at that fucking point.
After that they may as well implement a SIBYL system too and get it over with
>>
>>14668294
The internet of things anon, it's gonna end us

>1984+32
>>
>>14663464
>But still those euro shitbox don't have brake assist and standard
Remember, Euro shitboxes are UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED.

But it's the only thing euros can afford due to ridiculously high taxes.
>>
Either pay attention or take the fucking public transport. Don't be a texting dishit and ruin driving for the rest of us.
>>
>>14668294
There's nowhere to go. Just sit back and watch the happening.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.