[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HUD (heads up displays)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: buick lacrosse.jpg (99KB, 938x528px) Image search: [Google]
buick lacrosse.jpg
99KB, 938x528px
why aren't HUDs more popular in cars these days? I received a buick lacrosse as a rental from hertz recently and the HUD was awesome, great for helping me keep an eye on my speed.
>>
Manufacturers are intentionally trying to hold off on making them commonplace to push more people into paying extra for them.

Common tactic, nothing new to see here.
>>
obligafuckingtory

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/united-kingdom/article/detail/T0192126EN_GB/six-top-designers-explore-the-future-of-travel-mini-reveals-first-look-ahead-of-major-exhibition
>>
File: FUCK_HUGE_ASS_DOOR.png (236KB, 594x504px) Image search: [Google]
FUCK_HUGE_ASS_DOOR.png
236KB, 594x504px
>>14662126

>we want to make cars safer!
>builds cars with no visibility at all

>we want to make cars safer!
>develops HUDs that completely fuck with your focusing on the street
>>
>>14662065
This. It's more profitable to make the HUD seem like "wow so futuristic" and charge extra for it as an option.
>>
>>14662065
But there's already HUDs you can buy yourself for cheap
Granted, these are nicer, but this tactic shouldnt last for much longer
>>
>>14662126
That hurts my soul.
>>
>>14662149
the aftermarket ones are shitty as hell
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (178KB, 1200x712px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
178KB, 1200x712px
>>14662157
Meh. I'm waiting for my Navdy to ship. Supposed to ship by the end of the month (long time since my pre-order in mid-2014... estimated ship ended up getting delayed by a year).

OBDII, Bluetooth, smartphone app integration (e.g. Google maps, showing the next direction/distance on the HUD).
>>
>>14662166
its cool, but their are already headunits that do all of that without the proprietary system and shitty tiny screen
>>
>>14662170
The idea of a HUD is that you don't need to look away from the road to see that information. The screen is used as a way to project the information out.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/navdy-projects-apps-and-text-messages-onto-the-windshield-of-almost-any-car-180952467/?no-ist

>The projector shines onto the display, creating a prismatic effect that causes the image to appear as if it’s on a two-foot screen about six feet in front of the car. Images appear to float, similar to the way they do in other popular HUDs, such as Google Glass.
I'm going to see how it turns out when it arrives. If I don't like it, there's a thirty day return window for a full refund.
>>
>>14662126

found the twingo
>>
>>14662180
>The idea of a HUD is that you don't need to look away from the road to see that information
what information?
the count of new facebook posts?
HUDs are shit
>>
The only legitimate use of a HUD is to display navigation directions. And those should include a small top-down "minimap" of the streets around you. In many cases the simple directional arrows are unhelpful in dense urban environments but a minimap it very useful.
>>
>>14662764
speed
RPMs
direction of next turn and distance on GPS
any important incoming information (someone calling, traffic issue, etc.)
any engine DTC codes

I agree that HUDs should not be for facebook posts or twitter but there are valid pieces of information that can be presented.
>>
>>14662796
>direction of next turn and distance on GPS
apart from this one and maybe the engine codes I think nothing should be displayed on a HUD
why do people need to know how fast they're going at every moment? Or at how many rpm the engine is at?
it's not like you would be constantly staring at your speedo if you don't have a HUD

>>14662791
That's true Tbh
>>
>>14662764
Ask yourself:
What kind of information is displayed on a HUD of an aircraft?

Now apply that to car.

See, useful.
>>
>>14662832
>What kind of information is displayed on a HUD of an aircraft?
I literally don't know what is displayed on a HUD of an aircraft
even if I knew it wouldn't change my opinion that speed and rpm should not be on a HUD in a car
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (8KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
8KB, 480x360px
>>14662847
You could make the same argument for planes, that such information should be left on the panel, but it's much more distracting to have to look down at the panel and then out to the sky, than using a HUD.

Here's an example of a HUD:

Top left Top center Top right
Speed Heading Altitude, p indicates it's radar altitude

Center right
Altitude meter.

Center
Virtual Horizon, the little half circle with a dot, represents the nose of the aircraft, and the lines at the side of the half circle, the bank.
The gigantic X behind says that the selected weapon is inhibited from firing.

Bottom left Bottom right
Load factor (G) meter Vertical velocity meter

Also. what is displayed on the HUD also changes based on what one wants/is doing.
>>
Speed on a HUD makes sense. You always need to know it because the cops are always checking it. Its a basic function of deiving.

Im on my 2nd car with a HUD and its a really convenient feature.
>>
>>14662928
thanks for the explanation, that's really informative.
Somehow I have the impression though that a HUD like in OP's pic is more distracting than the aircraft HUD you posted. Maybe it's big, bold, white numbers vs thin but still well recognisable lines and numbers, I don't know
But I guess it's as you say, it's a personal preference what is displayed on the HUD
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.