[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Make F1 Great Again

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9

How would you change F1 to save it from the snooze-fest that it is now?

I say we remove all the design rules. Yet cap the value of the car. So you can design and build anything. Just have to keep it under $1,000,000 per car built.
>>
what was the most exciting season of F1 and what made it so exciting?
>>
>>14652038
You probably can't even buy the chassis alone for 1mil on a F1 car.
Consider that LMP2s are sold for almost 500k euros, GTEs are even more than that because they are not capped like P2s, there are probably dozens if not hundreds of millions in a single F1 car, considering R&D and the fact that everyone makes their own cars and they don't even sell them.
>>
>>14652038
yes, remove all design rules except ban computers, only data collection computers and EFI should be allowed.
>>
>>14652109
It doesn't have to be a Million.

The current paradigm is to keep spending down by restricting design. I suggest a reversal.

>>14652103
Lauda to Senna's death.

Tires sucked, cars were built with crazy features in an attempt to make up for lousy tires, F1 had not been cleaned up and packaged for politically correct family viewing.
>>
Make it like nascar , a basic car , no major electronics involved , and stripe the aero down to the neccesary.
>>
>>14652038
I say let engineers run wild and let budget be judged by the teams.
Only rule:
No closed cockpit
No fan cars
>>
>>14652140

Ewww, that's Indy
>>
>>14652038
I'll say it again.

40+ car grid.
>>
>>14652150
I said like , not a copy cat , tracks stays the same
>>
No rules, cars can be anything. Add weapons.
>>
>>14652038
Add dose pipes to the V6 turbo engines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1bRmSWnisc
>>
unlimited budget, unlimited design, unlimited money, but you have to use a 750cfm carb and 8" wide tires

Track schedule:
Laguna Seca
Mt Panorama
full Ring
Spa
hill climb time trial: Stelvio Pass
Isle of Man
Long Beach
Brands Hatch
point to point race: from Ely, NV to South Lake Tahoe on Highway 50
Suzuka
Monaco
>>
NEW RULES

>Car must be based on an existing model of car
>Unlimited budget
>No rules for driving
>tracks now have various non lethal weapons
>>
>>14652038
>remove all kinds of Pit-controlled or driver-controlled real-time tune to the car. If its drive-ready with those settings you cant change them unless you open the car up.
>let cars have either V8, V10, or V12
>FORCE MANUAL TRANNY ONLY
>point above will force only 6-7 gears in the car.
>>
>>14652229
>not using lethal weapons
>>
File: 1454129455392.png (1MB, 1058x748px) Image search: [Google]
1454129455392.png
1MB, 1058x748px
Death race 2000 rules, use methed up monkeys as drivers.
>>
>>14652038
Only restriction is power to weight. I want pigfat V12s battling lightweight i4s
>>
>>14652196

See man I'm all for that. Whatever configuration of engine and engine management you desire, so long as all combustion air comes from a set carburettor size. No tuning live, no subtle differences between one ponce organisation's V6 and another. 8's, 6's, rotary, 12's, 5's, whatever. But set induction system.

I was very interested in the development of the most recent NASCAR engines by Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford and Chrysler. Same carb and distributor system yet different head designs, manifolds and power delivery to suit. I really enjoyed seeing what the engineers could aim for and achieve with the set constant of a Holley 4150 and MSD cap.
>>
>>14652196
>Mt Panorama
Holy shit yes. Too bad getting it to 'standard' would kill it

Regulations for all category tracks include (general rule not just for Grade 1):
- No straight must be longer than 2km
- Total circuit length is recommended to be less than 7km
- the track width foreseen should be at least 12 m
- Where the track width changes, the transition should be made as gradually as possible, at a rate not greater than 1 m in 20 m total width.
- The width of the starting grid should be at least 15 m
- This width must be maintained through to the exit of the first corner
- Existing circuits requesting international recognition but which are narrower, may be approved if national events are regularly held on them
- The gradient of the start/finish straight should not exceed 2%.
>>
>>14652103
Easily the turbo era. You had to be a nutjob just to step into one of these cars. They produced in excess of 1400 BHP and had cockpit so flimsy, you could almost punch through it.

There was no electronic, no driving aids, it was just people that had balls so big they had a gravitational pull.

It was also free of rules bullshit in regard to drivers. I remind a few year ago when schumacher raced, Hamilton complained on the radio that he was faking him out, by making it look like he was attempting to pass him on one side, just to switch it. Apparently that wasn't allowed anymore.

In old f1 days, it was just not a "my car is better than your car" battle, it was also a battle of wits between the drivers, where the one that was on a technically inferior machine, could still put himself ahead if, he was smarter.

But nowadays all of that is long gone. Bet in a few years, they'll have rails on the circuit that the cars will run on, like micro machines race tracks.
>>
>>14652140
>no major electronics involved
>>
>>14652038
>How would you change F1 to save it from the snooze-fest that it is now?
Not by making one singular dominant team like you're suggesting retard. Limitations and formulas exist for reasons of parity.
>>
Turn it into claimer racing where the shitty teams can buy the winning car of each race for $100,000.
>>
>>14654213
This
>>
>>14654195

except the same 2 or 3 teams are at the forefront anyway...every year.

Remove all restrictions on design. Give each team the same amount of money to use for the entire year. This money is for the cars, parts, team payroll, etc. Reward innovation, creativity and smart use of finite resources. You never know when a truly innovative design will come out of left field and shake things up.
>>
>>14654237
Until one team comes up with a design that is vastly superior so that no other team wants to race them anymore and the series dies.
>>
>>14654248

That's why you don't build cars. There's always a counter when you're not stifled by idea choking rules and a closed mind. All it takes is some know-how and creativity to close performance gaps.
>>
>>14652282
As it is now they basically only have 7 gears. 8th is never used.
>>
>>14654173
This.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nxwn3OHkEw
>>
>>14654237
>Reward innovation, creativity and smart use of finite resources.
You forgot "fudging numbers, shady backroom deals and rule abuse". That's just outright asking for trouble
>>
Easy, F1 is now a drift sport. No more sticky tires and aero.
>>
Free for all outside a regulated safety cell. Around the cell build and use what you like. Go mad.
>>
>>14654195
That's already what happening, the most profitable/skillful companies entice the best engineers one way or another. He never implied that though. Imo the budget would make f1 much more interesting since it would be more about the engineering vs how much money a company can afford to pour into its f1 team. Also you talk like an ass.
>>
>>14652038
>Just have to keep it under $1,000,000 per car built.
Top team builds 20 cars, sells 15 of them to shit teams with EUAs that neuter them
>>
simple, let F1 be.

start up F0 with different rules and regs and a different oversight committee.
>>
>>14652038
Bring back turbos
>>
File: .screenshotEdits.png (488KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
.screenshotEdits.png
488KB, 720x1280px
>>14652038
Murder Bernie Eccleston
>>
>>14654173
basically this. much like group b.
>>
>>14654173
I've sat in a turbo era car and a 1995 v8 and what got me most was that I was literally the crumplezone in the early car.
I felt there was "slightly" more space before my lower limbs would have been completely removed in a crash in the later car.
>>
>>14652038
Simple, stop watching F1, start watching touring car masters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3TW19CW8Rw
>>
None of the shit above would fix the problem, which is that you cant get close to a guy because you lose all the damn downforce

The real solution is to free up design restrictions in the middle of the car, so that most of the downforce comes not from the front, but the center of the car.
>>
>>14654960
Fuck downforce from aero. All the cars can be fancars instead
>>
File: 1416422846921.jpg (190KB, 2048x1345px) Image search: [Google]
1416422846921.jpg
190KB, 2048x1345px
remove safety features
remove rules about engine size and anything to with power adders
allow return of 6 wheel machines
no bullshit over boost or wtf features.
If you can have 6 wheel vehicle with twin steer and making 1800hp at 8000rpm and be competitive you can.
>>
>>14652140
You do realize NASCAR runs road courses, right?
>>
>>14655008
Sometimes restrictions are good though. If they ease up and let loopholes exist they get weird stuff like pic related. Honda was limited to only 4 cylinders so they made this monster. Sure it didnt work often and was shit but just look at it
>>
>>14654273
>>14654273
glorious
>>
>>14655008
There's a reason Tyrrell abandoned the 6 wheeler

[spoiler]it wasn't because it was banned[/spoiler]
>>
>>14654734

Why are all Bernies so hilarious?
>>
>>14655146
>he doesnt like awesome things

People like you are why everyone is driving safe-space soap bars now.
>>
File: 1416430170112.jpg (226KB, 1280x730px) Image search: [Google]
1416430170112.jpg
226KB, 1280x730px
>>14655146
>>14655146
In a class like Miata cups, Pro 7 rx7's or where it only one type of car then yes restrictions have a place cause can be controlled to a point. people will still attempt to cheat the system.

>>14655181
It was a example of a possibility. If you can get it to work then good on you. Never said the Tyrrell was good, bad or otherwise.
>>
>>14655221
Nah, just some is good. It lets the funky stuff like this >>14655146 be made
>>
File: guess the car.jpg (126KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
guess the car.jpg
126KB, 960x720px
i got to work on a tyrell 6 wheeler once.
>>
>>14652160
They would have to go pretty damn slow unless they're going around an oval
>>
>>14652038
1. Remote operation only.
2. Next to no limitations on design. It has to run on the tarmac with wheels, and isn't allowed to carry weapons or explosives beyond the fuel.
3. No humans on the track except for pit crews.
4. Track marshals are only physically allowed on the track if every car is stopped.
5. For removing debris/cars when the race is running, remote-operated machines.
6. Cameras at every angle on the car, and two in the remote cockpit; one on the driver's face, one on the dashboard/HUD.
7. Get rid of the 'F1 stream'. Let it be fully interactive, let people pick whichever cameras they want. If they want to spend the entire race staring up the commentator's asshole, let them.
8. Shorten the races to about 1/3 of the distance. Run two of them in a day, with other smaller race events in between.
>>
>>14652164
You actually might be on to something anon.
Obviously there couldn't be guns or missiles or anything because the drivers need to survive at the very least; however interesting shit like stripped out drift missiles dropping oil slicks, destroying the spokes of opponents wheels, or plowing through weak obstacles unscathed would be fucking dope.
>>
File: 1441079521597.jpg (117KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1441079521597.jpg
117KB, 960x720px
>>14652038
allow demolition derby
>>
>>14652038
Stop watching open wheel racing where they can't even bump the cars together without wrecking
>>
>>14655122
With like 3 curves , yeah
>>
>>14656015
That is part of the appeal.

Little mistakes get punished and can cause you to lose the race or not even finish.
>>
stop focusing on fucking economy and shit of all things

dude small displacement and turbos lmao teehee

get fucking v10's back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KgbJyFfIqY
>>
>>14656136
Which is why drivers don't take risks and the driving is boring as hell
>>
>>14652146
>no fan cars.

Fuck your opinions,fan cars need more publicity.
>>
>>14652038
I would D=design some sort of system where the teams/manufacturers have an hundred points to spend on four categories, which would be speed, handling, stability, and reliability.

Once you've placed your points you would be stuck with them for half the season. then you would be allowed one chance to make adjustments.

I think that would make it quite interesting.
>>
>>14652038
Rules
1: You have 75l of fuel for the race.
2: Maximum car width is 1750mm
3 Maximum wheel base is 2750mm
4: at the end of each season you swap one car with the team opposite you in the championship race. Merc <> Marussia, Ferrari <> McLaren etc for that team to do with as they please.
(carry over the crash protection stuff)
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.