[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Futuristic Doom and Gloom General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 15

File: piece of shit.jpg (4MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
piece of shit.jpg
4MB, 5184x3456px
So a lot of the autism on this board comes from the fear that the manual gearbox is dying, and a 100% electric car takeover signals the death of the manual box.

Whats stopping Tesla (or any other electric car company) from simulating a manual gearbox with their cars? (other than it being utterly pointless, inconvenient, slower and only serving autistic anoraks on /o/)

They could add a fake gear stick and clutch pedal attached to a computer, and simulate gearing by mapping 'gears' to the motor. Imagine it like the Clio RS' sound generator, but instead of just sound you pick the actual car and it would map a profile of its gearing, acceleration, turbo lag, sound, torque curve etc

I-is there hope for the manual gearbox? Is this the most autistic idea you've heard all day?
>>
i've been pondering building a testbed for exactly this, built on an electric go cart platform
the hard part will be making it all feel right instead of weird and artificial, since there will be a sensation similar to the uncanny valley
>>
Watch closely as electric implodes in the next few decades.
Much like that rocket they launched.
I'm not worried.
>>
>>14650634
I hope they don't do that. I'd rather the manual gearbox died gracefully than we get some shitty imitation pretending to be as good as the real thing. We don't need another post-Grant Naylor Red Dwarf.
>>
Doesn't this already exist?

There are CVTs with "manual modes," usually paddles.
>>
>>14650829
>evs literally the perfect platform for cars that are perfect for non-car people
>quiet, low maintenance, cheap to run
>only limitation is battery tech which will only get better
>will implode in the next few decades
um
>>
>>14650882
Nope it's my completely original idea sorry I even have it patented.
>>
File: 1352422727766.jpg (212KB, 898x600px) Image search: [Google]
1352422727766.jpg
212KB, 898x600px
>>14650829
gas powered cars banned from city centers
>I'm not worried.
insurance for non-autonomous vehicles skyrockets
>I'm not worried
gasoline is gradually phased out in most states
>I'm not worried.
non-autonomous vehicles require special registration, all new vehicles must be autonomous or optionally manned
>I'm not worried.
vehicles incompatible with AHS are not permitted on interstate
>I'm not worried.
federal amnesty for gas-powered vehicles
>I'm not worried.
any vehicle with tailpipe emissions is banned
>this is fine
>>
>>14651281
slippery slope fallacy
>supporting evs = supporting the banning of all cars
>>
>>14650634

Okay, so to play Devil's Advocate, I'm going to ask you this:

>Is instant torque bad?

Also, here is a scenario I thought of:

There wouldn't be a total ban on gasoline cars. There would just be an initiative or regular jackoffs in Camrys and Impalas to drive electric vehicles (which I support). Those that treat vehicles as an appliance shouldn't burn gas, because they would just be buying an A to B autotragic.

I think an enthusiast market would still exist in automobiles (and motorcycles too) if MOST people drove electric vehicles.
>>
>>14650893
>>evs literally the perfect platform for cars that are perfect for non-car people

This is so true.

The only people that would need convincing are rednecks.
>>
manual gearboxes are outdated garbage already

its stupid to cater to luddites
>>
>>14651353
Ofcorse instant torque isn't a bad thing, in fact, its a dream come true.

https://youtu.be/_9RH4Fdprm4?t=262

I mean, fucking look at that.

The point is, an electric car already out performs most petrol cars, so they are a perfect fit for bodging a personality into.
>>
File: 3-tesla-model-s.jpg (49KB, 630x418px) Image search: [Google]
3-tesla-model-s.jpg
49KB, 630x418px
>>14650829
>>14650634
>Moore's law don't apply to batteries, it's a chemical reaction bat's will have to be big to get high mileage.1200lbs per Model s...x
Ward's reports that there are 1.3 people for every car in the U.S., while in China there are 6.75 people per vehicle. If China were to have as many cars per capita as the U.S., its fleet alone would amount to approximately
>one billion cars.Aug 23, 2011
>>
File: 1453672491562.jpg (74KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1453672491562.jpg
74KB, 720x960px
I fear that public perception of automotive enthusiasts will become especially negative within the next 10 years. We are dealing with more and more people who see cars as a net inconvenience and a waste of resources as well as an environmental hazard compared to public transportation and car sharing services. This could mean that we will have no supporters as the public sees the idea of personal transportation as morally reprehensible, allowing politicians and corporations to destroy the hobby with absolutely no restraint. Cars, like horses, will be relegated to the upper crust only.

What an awful time to be into cars
>>
>>14656370
I'm not so sure, there's plenty of respect for classic car enthusiasts among the general population, i think the hate is more towards shitty kids in riced out civics which is justified.

that's essentially where we're headed, anything ICE being considered a classic car
>>
File: 2030.jpg (214KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
2030.jpg
214KB, 1024x768px
>>14651297
you're right anon, everything is going to be fine.
i totally trust my government to do the right thing.
>>
>>14650893
>evs literally the perfect platform for cars that are perfect for non-car people
They are good for car people too.

My ideal commuter car would be a pure EV that goes into self driving mode for stop and go traffic (I don't want a car driving itself over 25mph).

Save gasoline for having fun and long trips.
>>
>>14657313
meh, i'd have some crazy fun sport luxury car and retrofit it to be autonomous for commuting, or have an autonomous EV DD and a track toy/"i'm bored today" car
>>
>>14656370
>Cars, like horses, will be relegated to the upper crust only.
Agreed. You can already see this happening with prices for the second golden era cars. Nothing from the 90s has gotten cheaper over the past 5 years. Sports cars from the 00s are holding steady.

I think it speaks to a growing schism in society. There are those who absolutely subscribe to the progressive techno narrative, people who don't view learned helplessness as a problem. And there are those who enjoyed the danger and thrill of the previous era, who can easily see how helpless everybody is becoming.

If the techno cars of today really were the answer, we wouldn't be seeing the value of 10-20 year old cars holding steady or appreciating. That is a clear sign that MANY people do not want what is coming.

I think this conflict is what will have to be resolved in the coming decades. How far do we let technology go. If it really starts doing everything for us, do we really feel alive anymore? Is the reducing of risk, and the certain of outcome worth giving up our control? Is a benevolent, all controlling authority really what we want in a country founded on the ideas of self determination?
>>
>>14657323
>have an autonomous EV DD and a track toy/"i'm bored today" car
Basically what I want, I just don't want the DD to be autonomous over 25mph. Done-is-perfect culture has no business getting involved in safety engineering. The hubris in silicon valley is thick enough to chew it.
>>
>>14651281
>not being part of an underground motorhead gang that wanders the desert on the run from the EPA
>2060
>ISHYGDSDT
>>
>>14650634
>(other than it being utterly pointless, inconvenient, slower and only serving autistic anoraks on /o/)

do you really need another reason?
>>
Don't forget that most forms of motorsports will stay fuel-powered. A Tesla is a fucking joke on a racetrack, they're only good for a few seconds of power and then they overheat and go limp. We are a LONG fucking ways away from electric cars being competitive, and I don't really see it happening until motor controller technology gets exponentially better and each car has it's own mini reactor or something.
>>
File: mind-blown.jpg (71KB, 480x600px) Image search: [Google]
mind-blown.jpg
71KB, 480x600px
>>14657398
>they're only good for a few seconds of power and then they overheat and go limp
>the Tesla is my penis in car form
>>
File: i never asked for this.jpg (26KB, 468x468px) Image search: [Google]
i never asked for this.jpg
26KB, 468x468px
>>14657351
We're getting Deus Ex.
>>
EVs are going to usher in a golden age of car modification.

Plug'n'Play motors, reduction gear boxes, controllers. Easy self tuning through mobile apps or built in infotainment screen.
>>
>>14657505
The PCM will be encrypted and will likely disable the car if anything it out of tolerance (to prevent or minimize a warranty claim).

How can you be this naive? The manufactures have every incentive conceivable to prevent any and all unauthorized modification.

Electric cars will usher in an age of zero modifications.
>>
>>14657528
You aren't even getting it. All the devices in the power train and control system will be coded to each other, and like you said will have expected performance characteristics. The cars will also have always on data connections so if you modify the car, it will disable itself and also likely taddle on you to home base. From here the DMV, your insurance company and the local police could be immediately notified. If you are on a lease or loan your bank could be notified as well. It wouldn't be crazy to assume this could lead to all sorts of penalties like your credit being affected, being banned from driving or barred from ever taking out another loan.

All the service panels in a car could also be locked and only accessible by somebody with an authorization code. As in people not authorized by say Tesla to work on the car wouldn't be able to get the panels open. Don't think would be shop specific, it would likely be individual specific like how crops give everybody key badges that only let them in authorized areas. Unauthorized changes or service could again cause the car to call home and get your registration suspended or increase the interest on your loan.

I think a lot of people have difficulty imagining how bad things are going to get.
>>
>>14657601
All for your own safety, of course.
>>
>>14657613
Yep.
>>
>simulation
please no more
engine noises being simulated through the speakers is already a crime against humanity
>>
>>14657659
Just wait until sex is simulated because stabbing a woman with your penis is seen as violent.
>>
File: all-animals-can-scream.png (52KB, 672x372px) Image search: [Google]
all-animals-can-scream.png
52KB, 672x372px
>>14657601
>>
File: c3b.jpg (14KB, 456x320px) Image search: [Google]
c3b.jpg
14KB, 456x320px
>feeling depressed
>I'll go to /o/ it'll make me happy
>get one of these threads
>>
So what? If instead of a turbo in 2070 I'm buying an aftermarket speed controller. You can still fit a rollcage, race seats and harnesses to an EV.

All you will be missing is sound and gears. (Even then with dct/clutch less sequentials in real sports/race cars the traditional manual is phasing out)
>>
>>14658392
>implying aftermarket parts will still be allowed
>implying aftermarket parts won't be deemed "unsafe"
>>
File: superthumb[1].jpg (10KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
superthumb[1].jpg
10KB, 300x250px
I wish there were more electric cars and free charging stations.

EVs are love, EVs are life.
>>
I'll accept it sort of if we could open up a WAT Imports and Tuning Garage where we import Twingos into Cali and make them EVs so the state can suck our dicks for being 'green'
>>
>>14651297
csdvsvsdv
>>
>>14658508
>being this fucking retarded
>>
>>14656370
I disagree. People will be more apathetic, and the most you'll ever get is "eh? You still drive your car?" Which is fine by me, because I've long accepted that not everyone enjoys driving. The only thing that the perception of "waste of resources" would change is things like fuel economy. America is still highly reliant on vehicles so I doubt they'll become an inconvenience soon, if ever. Only the driving part is seen as inconvenient. Look at it this way, in a book called "Traffic", they cite a study done on traffic jams, where it was found, or at least predicted that if 10% of cars used adaptive cruise control traffic would disappear.
As for electric cars, power sources are getting cleaner. Much of America is on coal power, but it's dwindling. Especially with this boom on solar power, which are turning neighborhoods into power plants. Many places like dense cities, even with really dirty power production, could benefit by having the pollution offloaded somewhere else where it can be dealt with easier.
>>
>>14657398
Formula E has gotten some decent attention though. Can't wait until they loosen it up a bit so the teams and manufacturers who enter can build their own designs.
>>
>>14657351
damn.
>>
>tfw the future of dashboards is "DUDE IPADS LMAO"
I WANT MY GODDAMN BUTTONS
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>tfw shillary gets elected and slowly the world devolves into a corporate authoritarian police state where everyone is kept neutered by cheap entertainment
>meanwhile, you and a few others cause mayhem in the cyberpunk city when riding your gasoline powered illegal motorcycles in between automated traffic
>tfw might soon get a chance to be a lowlife badass
>>
>>14658932
Naw, you'll just shitpost on 4chan over da libhuruls.
>>
>>14658930

Touch screens with haptic feedback are the future, Anon.
>>
>>14658976
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>14659025
You'd still have to look at the screen area you're pressing though. Can't feel your way through the controls, know what I mean?
>>
The new yebbujana ugly thing released at Geneva a few days ago has a stick shift. All electric.
>>
File: bush-mission-accomplished[1].jpg (92KB, 574x315px) Image search: [Google]
bush-mission-accomplished[1].jpg
92KB, 574x315px
>Tesla introduces UBER app, Powered by Google Drive(TM)

No need for cars any more senpai....

It's over.
Every Captcha you solve, is a step closer to autonomous cars.
>>
Are there any films or other media that use the concept of computerized vehicles as part of the story? Maybe it takes place in a dystopian future with mass surveillance built into all advanced technology and transportation of people is heavily regulated. Then there is, of course, some underground resistance to this that is forced to use and refurbish old technology and forms of transportation to avoid capture.

I suppose half life 2 had a bit of that going on.
>>
>>14659221
Why make a film when we are all about to live it?
>>
>>14659072

There are actually people working on exactly that (touch screens with textures).
>>
>>14650634
I doubt full electric self driving cars will happen in our lifetime, at the earliest we'll be in our 60s by the time it's fully happened.Don't forget that oil companies won't go without a fight either.
>>
>>14659221
I, Robot had a small part in the movie where the main character gets in deep shit for taking his car off automated mode and causes a crash and he has a petrol fueled motorcycle which is mentioned as being "rare and incredibly dangerous" because of using fossil fuel.
>>
>>14651281
There are laws in place to prevent this from happening. The same laws that allow you to own a minigrun/flamethrower pre-1980s, old cars to not have seatbelts, popup light to still exist on old cars, etc etc
>>
>>14658392
The sounds are 80% of the fun
>>
>>14659905

Going from a Mustang GT to a Volt, I find the quiet acceleration to be much more fun. The noise is unnecessary.
>>
File: Intense sorrow.gif (2MB, 294x232px) Image search: [Google]
Intense sorrow.gif
2MB, 294x232px
>tfw I used to be a neet who hated manuals
>tfw had to learn manual because dream ride was manual
>tfw I was lied to...this is not difficult...the perfect unity of man & machine
>tfw driving the last manual
Russians, Chinese, Nigerians I beg you...hack & sabotage the electric car!
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-02-04-02-56-35-1.png (772KB, 1080x811px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-02-04-02-56-35-1.png
772KB, 1080x811px
>>14660626
>muscle to electric
>not appreciating the purr of the internal combustion engine upon acceleration
How are you doing now post OP? Did they restitch your scrotum?
>>
>>14660673

It's nice, but unnecessary, and the electric motor delivers power much quicker and more efficiently.
>>
i'd drive an electric car if it didnt look like triple x rated garbage
>literally every single one is just
>LOL ITS A COMPUTER WITH WHEELS LMAO ROFL
>WTF U MEAN IT NEED TO LOOK LIKE A CAR
>THIS IS A CAR SHAPE LOL
>>
File: 2016-Chevrolet-Volt-White.jpg (1MB, 2048x1360px) Image search: [Google]
2016-Chevrolet-Volt-White.jpg
1MB, 2048x1360px
>>14660817

For you, Anon.
>>
>>14660662
will do bruh
>>
>>14650634

We are getting smarter, that's all.

The speed potential of electric drivetrains and CVT's is something I have waited a long time for. Imagine always being in your power curve, always having that instant electric torque. Right now the industry is using economy cars as it's electric test bed to see if it's a good investment, but mark my words, once it becomes mainstream, the auto makers will begin to produce performance cars.
>>
>>14660905

I think the first great mainstream electric sports car will be the new Tesla Roadster.
>>
File: T1.jpg (60KB, 1080x609px) Image search: [Google]
T1.jpg
60KB, 1080x609px
>>14650634
I've driven the 991-generation Porsche Carrera S in manual and PDK... With PDK it was like driving a video game. With a stick shift, my shifting was just slowing the car down. I've been a die-hard manual fan and own a manual, but the PDK is go good I would choose it over a manual!

I drove a Tesla P85D (just a test drive from a Tesla store, I had a whole day with the Porsches). The drivetrain felt amazing, easily a match to Porsche's 3.8, and likewise, a manual would just slow it down. Put Tesla's drivetrain into the 991 chassis and I would cum driving it! That's essentially what Porsche is doing in their Mission-E concept car.

I have no fear about electric cars, because electrics can be a match for the best gasoline engines.
>>
>>14660926
Hopefully it will be Tesla. They seem to be the only one pushing the lard-ass companies to actually start developing anything, and if they make a new roadster that whoops ass and takes names, then it will surely sell well.
>>
>>14651281
You know your exempt from emission laws if you drive a classic car right? When EV cars take over guess what gas powered cars will be become? CLASSIC
>>
>>14661066
nope only pre 74 are exempt
74 onwards must meet emissions standards.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.