[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDOT: Questions That Dont Deserve Their Own Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 47

File: e36.jpg (44KB, 625x388px) Image search: [Google]
e36.jpg
44KB, 625x388px
QTDDOT: QTDDOT: Questions That Dont Deserve Their Own Thread

Aka: ask dumb questions here, get "advice" from anons.

>>14640889
Difficulty of swapping a 'ze into an ae86? Coolant lines on the 'ze are weird for a longitudinal mounting, but there are workarounds for that (lots of people use MR2 4AGE's to replace the old K series engines in starlets / corollas)

Not to mention, the supercharger on the 'ze cannot be rebuilt, toyota never released a rebuild kit and refused to allow the OEM to release a rebuild kit. (its also a tiny supercharger from the 80's, lots of people just swap to turbo for good reason)

The only reason id would swap a 'ze into anything is if the 'ze was free/near free. its only worth it for the forged internals and the 365cc injectors. its a better "start" for a engine build, for about $2250 you could get 550cc injectors and good quality NEW forged internals (as well as all new bearings and seals)(of course if you take this route you will need to buy an aftermarket ecu to support the new injectors)
>>
>>14640889
also have you considered a BEAMS or 3SG(T)E swap?
>>
>>14641582
Fucked up the name of the thread there, it's QTDDTOT
>>
File: image.jpg (146KB, 1140x643px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
146KB, 1140x643px
Is the 2.0L 1G-FE I6 injun good?
>>
File: fox mustang.jpg (26KB, 550x366px) Image search: [Google]
fox mustang.jpg
26KB, 550x366px
What should I pay for a rust free fox in the rust belt? High many miles are too many for a v8?

Like the look of the lx & gt so I'd happily grab a gt as they're typically cheaper.

It'd be my summer dd. I walk to work so it'd primarily be used for groceries and cruising.

I've also considered grabbing a manual with a 4 banger and then pulling the 5.0 out of my explorer with a bad trans. The 4 cylinder Foxes are priced relatively cheap around me.

Not looking to spend more than 4-5k for the fox itself. If I go the 4 cylinder route is the 5.0ohv from the explorer going to be easy to build power on?

I want a v8 this summer.
>Last year I had a 2001 1.8 miata
>Prior to that I had a 97' 2.5v6 Ford Probe gt

Miata didn't meet my expectations. Was kind of let down from the way /o/ talked about them. I think I had too high of expectations going in.

Probe was an absolute blast. I actually enjoyed it more than the miata. Then again, it was my first manual.

Not interested in another truck. Already have one as a daily/winter beater.
>>
NC vs late NB

pros, cons of either
>>
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/5480897881.html
>1997 Corolla
>273k miles
>dick shift
>$1500

Should I do it, /o/? I took it for a test drive and it felt fine to me, although I know nothing about cars. All I know is that chassis/suspension seemed aligned enough
>>
>>14642192
Probably better to ask in the Miata General.
>>
>>14642024
It's a good engine for a commuter car
Not as fuel efficient as implied
>>
>>14642024
No. 2j or gtfo

>>14642173
Just get one that's been taken care of. Mileage doesn't matter.

>>14642192
You want an nb. NC got bigger and heavier.
>>
>>14642192
Late nb
>>
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=29488&endYear=2017&modelCode1=LS400&showcaseOwnerId=69816&makeCode1=LEXUS&startYear=1981&firstRecord=0&maxMileage=150000&searchRadius=500&showcaseListingId=418127772&mmt=%5BLEXUS%5BLS400%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=402633607&Log=0

>94 LS400
>132K miles
>$2500
>clean as fuck
what's the catch here?
>>
>>14642768
I'd offer $1K but otherwise I'd do it
>>
Does anyone know of any good car build series like Tom's Turbo Garage?
>>
File: kai-z31.jpg (105KB, 591x394px) Image search: [Google]
kai-z31.jpg
105KB, 591x394px
I'm considering buying a Z31 and I have a couple questions about the VG30ET, I've read that the engine has the potential to really gain some power but...

How much are we talking here?
How easy is the engine to work on?
Is there a large aftermarket for the engine?

Most websites pertaining to this info are dead and /ddt/ don't know much about the 300ZX
>>
>>14641582
the E36 jack points are inside the skirts not under
>>
File: 1457114741391.png (1MB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1457114741391.png
1MB, 1920x1440px
I must save this thread
>>
>>14642809
probably has trans problems
>>
What material is most efficient for intake piping?
>>
>>14644691
plastic
no really
>>
Are the Epman 044 fuel pumps as good as the Bosch 044 pumps?
>>
Question about oil. So given that super tech (walmart oil) is made by warren distribution what about their gear oils? Looking to fix my leaky diff and can spend $7 for supertech syn blend 75w-90 or $12 for Valvoline full synthetic. It's a crown vic, it's no performance car, am I good to go with the walmart stuff?
>>
How do I increase throttle pedal resistance when, the only spring (literally the only one, not like the other fell off) is a non-purchasable specialty torsion spring on the throttle body?
>>
>>14645309
Get a heavier spring
>>
>>14645309
Put another spring on the floor?
>>
>>14645285
Are they both compliant with the required oil specs for your car? Having the same viscosity is not enough, you need to read the specs too, those are what define the performance of an oil
>>
>>14641582
What are some good online resources to learn auto detailing and repair?
>>
File: 2016-03-14 23.07.52.jpg (529KB, 1076x1215px) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-14 23.07.52.jpg
529KB, 1076x1215px
What are those hooks in the front and right off the bat does this seem like a good deal if the VIN checks out?
>>
>>14642173
Preferably under 3k.
Don't buy a 4-banger unless it's a super cheap, super-clean notch. I mean super, super cheap.
Yes you can rebuild a 5.0 Explorer motor into a Mustang motor.
>buying an automatic miata
>expecting to really enjoy a miata in the rust belt, the land of grid roads
>>
>>14646173
Goddamn I have no fucking reading comprehension tonight
>>
>>14642173
>rust free fox in rust belt.

Yeah, that's gonna be more than you're wanting to pay. Looking at anything less than about $6K is going to be a waste of your time. Personally, I'd budget $8-10K for a clean, rust-free, aero fox V8. A 4cylinder conversion won't be any cheaper unless you half-ass it.
>>
>>14641582
Oh, look... QTDDTOT... In that case...

Hey, /o/ just popped over from /k/ because I need a serious question answered.

I've been driving a '98 Buick Regal GS (supercharged v6 under the hood) for about 6 months now. She's got about 300k miles on her if I had to guess. Replaced the water pump, thermostat, oil pan gasket, a couple of transmission lines, but I've come upon a new problem.
Yesterday morning, I started it up and it was just knocking like a motherfucker.. I dont think its a bent rod.. usually that has a lot of grinding and shit. Checked the oil, no metal flakes or anything.. But the spark plugs were pretty loose. Could this be my problem? A guy I showed it to said that was probably it, and I know for a fact there's at least one bad plug anyways... Any help would be great.
>>
File: 1383618314703.gif (2MB, 193x240px) Image search: [Google]
1383618314703.gif
2MB, 193x240px
Would attaching a long vertical pipe to the muffler of a snorkled 4x4 increase its fording capacity? Something like a temporary stack.
>>
>>14642809
I paid 2500 for a 92 with 192000km. Only issue was upper control arms and trailing arm bushings. So far anyways. Check the UCAs, they are costly to replace if going OEM
>>
>>14641582
I just want a fast, manual transmission sedan... whats left out there to get? the perfect one in my mind would be a 6.2L Charger but they dont have sticks.
>>
How can I find out if my 2009 Kia Rio LX has anti-lock brakes? I saw that was an option for that year but don't know if this car has them.
>>
>>14647817
Check fuses/relays for abs one, car without abs won't have fuse or relay. (There are other mechanical differences but this one is fairly straight forward)
>>
>>14647817
Are you in yurop? Because ABS has been mandatory for some 10+ years on new cars, your car most likely has it
>>
How quietly do you leave home?
Do you shit where you sleep?
>>
Looking to do a couple of short-interval oil changes on a 2008 Mustang GT (39k) that hasn't had the oil changed in a solid 10,000 miles.

The plan is to do 2 or 3 oil changes at about 1000 miles with some regular motor oil and an OEM filter to help clean out some of the gunk and then do a full synthetic oil change.

Can you switch directly from non-synthetic oil straight to full synthetic?
>>
>>14647888
If you don't suspect the engine being chock full of gunk, there are not many risks, that said, switching from non-synth to synth oil is usually a bad idea because of the cleaning power of synth oils that might release all the gunk from the previous oil and potentially clogging something important.

Since you plan on doing 3 changes, I might suggest using an oil system cleaner just before doing the first change, they usually require to run the engine at idle for a while and then changing oil.
Everything that will be left over from the first change will hopefully be flushed away with the second one and the third and final oil should be quite clean and good.
>>
>>14647854
Thanks

>>14647874
Nope. In US the ABS was a $400 option for the 2009 LX model so that's why I'm not sure.

I just got the car yesterday. The roads were wet and the brake pedal pulsed once I pushed it hard to stop suddenly so I'm hoping that's anti-lock brakes and not rotor issue. My friend said it's probably ABS and not to worry so I just wanted to make sure.
>>
>>14641582

Castlemain Rod Shop in Australia will sort you out with any SC12 and SC14 rebuild kits, rotors, clutches or housings that you need. They will also have a stock of bypass valves and piping that they discard when using the SC14 in a kit to supercharge 3800 V6's.
>>
>>14647893
>Since you plan on doing 3 changes, I might suggest using an oil system cleaner just before doing the first change.

Any recommendations on an oil cleaner?
>>
>go WOT in 60kw shitbox
>start hearing hissing noise from engine
already checked for vacuum leaks and i cant find any, what other reason could the noise be?
>>
>>14648014
I've always used Wynn's stuff, but it's been a long time since the last time I had to use these on a car, I don't know what's the rage with this stuff nowadays
>>
>>14647070
Are you talking about the exhaust? The backpressure with the engine running will keep all the water out
>>
>>14648032
what if you stalled
>>
>>14648017
Did it start occuring right after and now it doesn't go away no matter what you're doing, or only at WOT?
>>
>>14648037
usually at full throttle but also if i try accelerating in a high gear
n/a engine btw so no turbo monkey business
>>
>>14648034
>Update
Water get into the exhaust, but due to closed valves it should not enter the engine itself. Might start a bit rough, but I've not seen it be a problem outside of mud.
>>
>>14648040
Can you hear the noise when standing outside and having someone give it throttle?

>>14648041
I don't know why I wrote >update
>>
>>14648044
i never tried with someone else but if i wind my window down it becomes louder
>>
>>14648056
Hm, alright...

Smoke test could give you an answer. Use something that makes visible smoke and "spray" it here and there at the engine and look for a spot where the smoke gets blown away and you can tell there shouldn't be a leak for sure.

Or maybe you can even feel if on your arms if its that strong and you have a bit of arm hair? If you can hear it inside of the car when driving it should be quite a decent leak if it is one. You could also try looking around the engine for hoseclamps that seem loose, check the radiator lid and so on
>>
>>14648041
>>14648034
should be alright if the water levels lower than the ports, but i cant see many engines forcing out 15+kgs of water just through exhaust propulsion
>>
>>14648067
my radiator cap has a busted seal, it leaks water over time but not enough to overheat
cant see any steam coming out tho
>>
>>14648084
Still, it does build up a bit of pressure when the water starts getting warm

Give it a try
>>
Can I have a lower ride height and wider tracks on stock suspension in an E36? If not what do I need? Gs400goy pls help
>>
>>14647124
BMW would be your best bet. Especially if you're looking for RWD.
>>
>>14648115
>can I modify my car using its stock components that can't be modified?

Gee I wonder
>>
>>14648115
angle grinder for the springs, and a spare £5 for spacers for the wheels/track
>>
Can I legally import and drive/own an Evo into the US? I know about the 25 year law shit, but since we have 6 to final gen here would it still be illegal being younger than 25?
>>
>>14648172
>I know importing cars younger than 25yrs is illegal, but can I import a car younger than 25yrs?

Yes, and when they question you about it you just have to tell them "come on, it's not like they weren't selling this car here already" and they will let you pass no problem.
>>
>>14648014
>>Since you plan on doing 3 changes, I might suggest using an oil system cleaner just before doing the first oil change.

>>14648014
>Any recommendations on an oil cleaner?

>>14648026
>I've always used Wynn's stuff, but it's been a long time since the last time I had to use these on a car, I don't know what's the rage with this stuff nowadays

Is there any substance to oil and fuel cleaners? Some people swear by it, but it seems a lot more claim it's automotive snake oil.
>>
Hey guys, just learned manual this weekend and I have a question. Is there any real danger in driving a manual aside from stalling out? Like am I more likely to crash or some shit?

My father-in-law thinks I should have a few more days of "safe" practice on deserted roads before actually driving the car, but I want to start using it in real situations ASAP since it gets immensely better mileage than my current automatic.
>>
>>1464816
I didn't know it was unmodifiable, that's why I asked you inbred faggot
>>
>>14648220
I can't speak much for oil cleaners because I always had to use them with engines that were relatively clean to begin with, but I used plenty of the coolant system cleaners to clear the mess made by leaky oil/water heat exchangers and they worked like fucking magic.
>>
>>14648314
Don't you think the car would have come with at least a couple of extra buttons and relative instructions if it came from the factory with variable ride height and track?

You need shorter springs for the height (springs that were produced shorter and stiffer, not cut stock spring) and spacers or rims with a lower ET number for the track
>>
>>14647039

Supercharger coupler is my first guess
>>
>>14648220
Seems like most people consider products like Lucas and other treatments a waste of money
>>
>>14648310
Everyone should learn to drive on a manual. It keeps retarded kids from being distracted while driving with their phones, putting on makeup, etc...
>>
Alright, what kind of ballpark figure am I looking at for both left and right rear shock absorbers to be replaced in a rwd (I'm strayan)

I might have it covered by warranty (had the car for 6 months), but they may end up trying to stiff me by saying it's not covered as wear and tear.

If that's the case, I'll probably try ordering the parts from japan myself, because they'll definitely try fucking me over.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-15-09-58-24.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-15-09-58-24.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
What is this?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-15-09-58-09.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-15-09-58-09.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>14648842
Pic #2. I looked up these letters and number and nothing came up
>>
>>14642809
Timing belt hasn't been done.
>>
>>14648847
Looks like a clutch alignment key/tool, is it plastic?
>>
>>14649036
Nope solid metal. Weighs about 15-20 lbs
>>
How do i best do the following?
>Clean my car
>Polish
>Wax
>>
>>14648690
Yes because driving manual totally forces you to pay attention to the road 100% of the time.

t. Someone who has been driving manual all his life
>>
>>14649268
No, but it certainly forces young, especially inexperienced drivers to focus more on the car and driving process itself instead of every other distraction available to them, especially if he lives anywhere remotely close to a city.

t. common sense
>>
>>14649152
>two bucket wash method
>use dish soap if you need to remove previous wax layer
>clay bar + detailing spray
>orbital polisher + cutting pad + heavy polish
>orbital polisher + finishing pad + light polish
>orbital polisher + finishing pad/super light pad + wax
>done

The cutting pad + heavy polish step is optional if you don't have deep scratches and only need to fix light swirls or stains, or if you already polished the car in the last year and only need to make it shiny again.
>>
>>14649277
I can absolutely confirm that none of that discourages any young kid from texting or being distracted while driving, whether it is in or out of a city.

Driving manual becomes natural after maybe a week or two, after that it requires no extra attention at all to shift gears while doing something else.
The inconvenience of having to move your hand away for 1 second at every shift won't force them to pay attention to the road the rest of the time.

t. Someone who drives manual in a big city full of manuals.
>>
>>14648373
Thank you for this legitimate answer, you well bred non-faggot
>>
>>14649282
I am afraid to into polishing because of the way it works im afraid ill fuck the paint up.
Can that part be done by hand though? And start with light ass polish, or skip the part completely?
Just bought a used car and its pretty well kept. Hasnt been waxed, but doesnt really have scratches that need buffing, which is good. I havent inspected the paint enough to say how bad/good shape it is in micro-scratch wise.
>>
How do I acquire sick backfires withoUT damaging my car or just straight up chopping off my cat converter
>>
>>14648842
>>14648847
Looks like an input/output shaft, probably has gears on it normally
>>
>>14649335
Orbital polishers (aka double action polishers or random orbital polishers) are the safest and slowest to use. You can't really go wrong with those as they won't heat the paint enough for you to fuck that up unless you actively try, they are also kinda cheap.
You can pick that on Amazon, cherrypick the pads you like from a detailing shop (at least one for each step, heavy polish, light and wax) and you will easily stay under $200
Nothing wrong with doing it by hand, but I think it's a fucking torture that takes forever.

As for the grit of the polish, you use it like you would use sandpaper: first the heavy ones for buffing and then the lightest ones to make it shine and hide the marks you left with the heavier polish. If there is no need for buffing, then go directly with the light polish + light pad combo before waxing.
>>
>>14649464
Hm, i was pumping gas and a guy in a ram 2500 flat bed went through the intersection which has a huge dip in the middle and this fell off his truck. I went and picked it up incase it was a nice tool or somthing I could sell/use
>>
>>14649338
Exhaust bypass
Weld a y joint right after the headers and a throttle body then straightpipe right back from one end and your stock exhaust on the other.
>>
File: image2.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image2.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
Auto shop down the road is selling one of these for $10k.
70k miles
Body and interior are immaculate
Why shouldn't I sell my 2009 Impala base model for it?
>>
>want to get a nice and small car
>none of them can accommodate a 6'7" person
am I doomed to only drive 20mpg boats?
>>
>>14648172
only if you don't want to keep it
>>
>>14641582
so are miatas gay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbZE-Y5cXbY

>4 minutes in
>>
>>14650822
buy it
>>
File: interior.jpg (678KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
interior.jpg
678KB, 3264x2448px
I bought this car and the interior lights don't work. Is there anything cheap and battery powered I could put on the dash to use as a light instead? I'd prefer something off of Amazon because I have prime but eBay is fine. Thanks
>>
>>14648032
Yeah, I meant the excuse. I was just curious if that would remain the same even with the engine at idle; I know water can't fight the backpressure when the engine is accelerating.
>>
>>14650932
Like, the dash? Are you sure that the dimmer isn't just turned down?
>>
>>14650959
I mean the overhead lights.
>>
>>14650976
Just get a stick-and-click.
>>
>>14650932
Did you check the fuses???
>>
I'm deciding between a Yukon SLT and Denali, is the Denali really worth the extra price? Its about 10k extra for magnetic ride, 6.2L and a bunch of electronic features that come standard
>>
>>14651189
Good idea but these are apparently very dim
>>14651328
I plan on doing that some time soon but I'm really tired of fooling with it right now so I just want a temporary solution
>>
For those of you who change your own oil and transmission fluids, if you're using ramps or jack stands do you lower the car or roll it off the ramps after draining? It feels like checking the fluid levels while filling would be impossible with the front of the car raised.
>>
I drove over a nail, so I needed to get my tire repaired. The guy repaired it, and said he "repaired it from the inside". Now I can see the plug sticking out of the tire tread about an inch. I called someplace else, and they told me to just trim down the plug flush with a razor blade. So, I have a couple of questions:

When he said he repaired the tire "from the inside", does that imply he used one of those patch and plug things, or just a plug?

Should I be good to go with just this tire plug? I was planning on tracking my car, so I don't want it to blow out on me at 90 mph or anything. I've heard the patch systems essentially last the life of the tire, but I don't know if he used one or not, and I don't want to gamble with my life over $150, so if it means getting a new tire, I can do that.
>>
>>14642768
no
>>
>>14651615
yeah you're supposed to
>>
>>14651735
are they high speed tires?
>>
>>14651615

Yes, you're supposed to check everything while the car is level. That also means driving it onto a flat street, rather than your driveway, if your driveway is slanted upwards.

>>14651831
Yeah, they're Dunlop Sport Maxx 235/245's. I'm still not very confident in the plugged(patched?) one though, so I might just drop the 150 for peace of mind.
>>
I just got my first expired plate ticket. I totally forgot because i got the reminder around christmas time and that's always hectic. Any way it's 135 fucking dollars. Are they all that expensive? I mean jesus it's not like it's even a moving violation.

On another note. The sheriff pulled me over in my shitbox corolla doing nothing wrong becuase my buddy in the back seat kept looking back at the sheriff and you shouldn't do that according to the sheriff. Plus some asshat in a jaguar xf sped right on by the sheriff and me right before he pulled me over.

Anyway, are all expired plate tickets this expensive?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-15-20-27-45.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-15-20-27-45.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
How would I go about replacing the gears of my 92 ls400's diff? What would swap into it? Any internals as long as the ratio is kept close?
>>
>>14641582
I have a car that needs paint on the exterior only. If I where to remove all the surface rust and fill and smooth anything that needs it, how much would it cost to get the car stripped of the old paint, primed, and painted?
The car is a mid sized sports car.
The paint everywhere else is fine, it's just the outside.
>>
How big of a money pit is a 200k miles 1985 mr2 going to be? It has one head light stuck up, takes 3 minutes of revving the engine before it will hold an idle, and the engine is leaking/burning oil.
>>
>>14652567
An abyss
>>
>>14652732
Want to go more in depth? I'm pretty sure I can get it for $300. If not, I'm just going to save up between $1500-$3000, and probably buy an FC. Not sure if I want a turbo or NA though. I prefer NA or SC engines over Turbo options, but i dunno. There's an ae86 for sale 3 hours away that was on fire, they want $1500 for it so that's probably not worth.
>>
>>14652745
Don't buy a fucked up $300 car that's 30 years old. It's a waste of $300 and a huge pain in the ass to get it in decent running condition. But if you want to gamble on it and hope that it doesn't need thousands of dollars in major repairs, then do it because maybe it's something not terribly wrong with the mr2. But unless you really have a good idea of whats really wrong with the car don't buy old "problematic" cars.
>>
What exactly does it mean to stall a car with a manual transmission? Does it mean it just stops and turns itself off? Or does it mean it just doesn't move because you didn't press the accelerator enough?
>>
>>14652230
>I dindu nuffins
Pay the ticket, don't be a nigger.
>>
>>14652567
Don't buy it, never buy a car with more than 200K miles.
>>
i'm considering getting a 2011-2013 328i for my first car, how dumb am i?
>>
How dumb would it be to get a Nissan 350z as a DD?

As dumb as this guy? >>14653346
J-just kidding by the way,
>>
What's the difference between drum brakes and rotors? I used to have a 99 Alero with all rotors but my 2009 Rio LX has rear drums. Are they harder to replace than rotors?
>>
>>14652967
In a manual car the engine is directly engaged to the transmission as long as the clutch pedal is not pressed and the transmission is directly engaged to the wheels of the car.
For all intents and purposes, you could say the crankshaft of the engine is solidly attached to the wheels.

When you go too slow for the gear you are using, the wheels are turning at such a speed which forces the engine to turn below optimal rpm.
When the speed drops too much, the engine is no longer able to turn because it can't fight the speed of the wheels (because it can't produce enough torque to push them), so it stops moving and turns off. This is engine stalling.

The most common occurrence of stalling is when you are at a standstill and you release the clutch too quickly and with too little throttle input. In this situation the wheels are stationary, which means you are effectively forcing the engine to turn at their speed, causing it to stop rotating altogether. You can avoid this by releasing the clutch more slowly, letting it slip a bit so the wheels can start moving and the engine can keep rotating without problem, at the expense of clutch wear. Giving it some throttle can help speed up the process or help in situations where there are other forces slowing the car down, like when you are towing something or you are going uphill.

This thing of being directly attached to the wheels is the reason why you can push start a manual car, but you can't do it on an automatic one.
An auto has a torque converter in place of the clutch, which is not physically engaged to the engine (it can do it only when cruising and in other situations like going downhill, but not when standing still) and allows you to stop the vehicle without the need for going in neutral.
>>
Any suggestions on a fairly cheap synthetic blend or full synthetic? Looking to do a quick oil change on a car well passed it's service mark followed by another oil change in about 1000 miles with top quality synthetic
>>
>>14654882
valvoline, castrol, kendall

but if you're really going to change it that soon just look at whatever specials the shop is having and take the cheapest
>>
>>14654882
Take whatever relatively famous brand of oil that has the same specs (which are different from the viscosity) your engine requires
>>
File: a611b155ce8e1ff7f40438a1b7d561e7.jpg (392KB, 2358x1771px) Image search: [Google]
a611b155ce8e1ff7f40438a1b7d561e7.jpg
392KB, 2358x1771px
Whenever i cold start my engine (1.3 petrol) it idles really rough for like 30seconds up to a minute at about 600 rpm, super low and if I were to put it in a gear and try to drive with this it would prolly get jumpy and die. Pressing the accelerator pedal does almost nothing, I'd have to hold it down to the metal for about 10 seconds for rpm to rise up 2-3k. After said minute rpm will jump to 2.2k, stay there for like 5 seconds and then drop down to normal idling speeds and I can drive normally.

Questions : I heard MAF sensor thingamajig might get clogged or something else in intake, can it be?

Question 2 : Can it be because I'm using some crazy fucking cocktail of oils. Cus its a old shitbox and it likes to eat up oil whenever It feels like it, I started with semi-synth about 9000km ago and as its been eating it up I have been adding some other brand oils and recently some diesel engine oil. Could that be the cause ?
>>
File: 1443898887336.jpg (30KB, 450x432px) Image search: [Google]
1443898887336.jpg
30KB, 450x432px
>>14655648
Didn't say make model year
>must be a '95 vauxhall astra
>or maybe pic related?

>just throwing random oil in it
what the fuck is wrong with you?
>britbongs
oh I understand now.

Burning oil probably isn't the cause of your loss of power.
>air fuel spark
one of these is having a problem at startup.
>probably not air, but check your air filter to be sure it's not clogged
>if it was MAF it would probably throw a CEL
>you could clean the sensor with some MAF cleaner to be safe
>that leaves fuel and spark
>pull your sparkplugs, inspect gap, if bad replace
>clean them if you're really burning that much oil
>new rotor and rotor cap and some new plug wires will do you good anyway
>check you battery, terminals and wires; if battery is over 7 years old (or has bubbled housing), you should replace it

>check fuel lines for leaks or deteoriation
>check/replace fuel filter
>sit in car, turn car to on BUT DON'T START
>you should be able to hear the fuel pump prime
>makes a whirrr
>>
>>14654221
>rotor
uses a caliper with pistons to force brake pads inward against a rotor to stop

>drum
Uses a cylinder with pistons to push brake shoes outward against a drum

it's easy to put shoes on backwards, but other than that they're no harder than a disc brake to service.
>>
The needle for the rev meter floats at 1 when in idle. My car has an after market turbo on it, is it normal?
>>
Hey guys.
I have small paint chips on the front face of my hood. Golf 4 2004 in green w/ pearl effect color. The chips are really really small i dont think they have 2mm in diameter at worst.
If i want to polish and wax my car, can i do it regardless?
>>
Is the 1980 Pontiac Firebird Formula 4.9 turbo automatic a good car, in terms of being a stylish car I can drive every other day of the week?

An old mechanic I know mostly stays away from 80's cars, as they "were horrible to drive, and horrible to work on"; but this looks like it's from the 70's generation; is there anything that makes it less desirable than an older year of it?
>>
/r/ pic of that dog attacking some guys fender. I should've saved it when I had the chance.
>>
>>14656166
Yes, just try to avoid the chips so you don't risk breaking more paint
>>
If I just want a car to drive to work/school how much should I expect to spend?
I don't care about what kind it is or what it looks like.
>>
>>14646158
>buying a stanced car
>ever
>>
File: M-Comtaminated-valve-1.jpg (41KB, 444x480px) Image search: [Google]
M-Comtaminated-valve-1.jpg
41KB, 444x480px
>>14655804
Im not british, its a 99 lancer vi 1.3 not that it matters
>Random oil
well because its a beater, this engine might aswell work on someone elses burned through oil
>MAF cel
It doesn't have catalytic converter and doesnt cel, i dont know what the fuck has been done to it, I know its rusted pretty badly and at some point was prolly put together at a salvage site, the salvage markers all over the parts.
>Plugs
been changed many times, I know that my cables can "punch through" so If i get a bunch of water on them or some shit like that I can kill the engine, If I push on them with a screwdriver the spark goes through the rubber and engine timing goes off and it skips ignitions, obviously.
>Lack of power
theres no power to be had in the first place m8, its 55kw
>Everything else
It works great after this cold start, runs smooth and won't stutter and fuck with me again like that on restarts.
It does produce a lot of white smoke on idle and sometimes low speed gears, antifreeze level is good its not mixed with oil, theres too much white smoke for it to be just condensation. I'm almost 99% certain it burns oil because of this fucked up cocktail of low quality oils in it and the fact that I like to rev it every once in a while. Oil burning doesnt concern me at all desu.

Interweb suggests high pressure oil control valve as in picrelated can be the cause of this.
>>
>>14652473
At least $1k
Depends on the shop usually
>>
>>14656084
Car idle is normally around 750rpm and should not be over 1k unless it's warming up.
>>
>>14656405
$3k should get you a rust free, reliable shit box.
>>
>>14656481
Thanks senpai.
>>
I got water in my engine and tree getting the spark plugs out to clear it but one of them snapped in half and is stuck in the engine. On top of that my camshaft seal is leaking. How hard are these things to fix usually? It's a V6 D21 and the broken plug is furthest bag against the firewall which makes it a total bitch to get to because there's hardly any room.
>>
>>14656501
You are fucked, you need to remove the head to get the broken plug out unless you somehow find a way to weld a rod to the plug or something so you can still try to unscrew it.

Get the head off and clean all the water you got in the engine while you are at it
>>
how do i put extra torque on a bolt that can only be reached with the open end of a combination wrench? no breaker bar and cheater pipe here
>>
>>14657084
Fucking slam it you pussy
>>
If weight balance is such a huge thing, why don't most, if not all cars have their batteries in the trunk? The only cars I've personally seen with this is the NA Miata and the 2011 335i.
>>
>>14657943
Copper cable of the required safe gauge costs money

Most manufacturers simply don't care enough to spend that extra cost.
>>
>>14656447
>MAF cel
It doesn't have catalytic converter and doesnt cel, i dont know what the fuck has been done to it, I know its rusted pretty badly and at some point was prolly put together at a salvage site, the salvage markers all over the parts.

Lolwat
>>
File: 1439832857955.jpg (41KB, 600x615px) Image search: [Google]
1439832857955.jpg
41KB, 600x615px
>>14656447
>no cel
>no cat
>mfw all kinds of fucked up
>put together at allah-abduls bhph
>no power
lol what a riot m9 STFU
>everything else
>tl:dr faget with a lancer
do a compression test u nigger and stop wasting my time
>>
File: 500px-MafiaSentinel-GTA3-front.jpg (23KB, 500x272px) Image search: [Google]
500px-MafiaSentinel-GTA3-front.jpg
23KB, 500x272px
Whats the closest thing I can get to a sentinel?
>>
File: 1439846608803.jpg (13KB, 224x216px) Image search: [Google]
1439846608803.jpg
13KB, 224x216px
>>14659232
>what is a bmw?
>>
File: index.jpg (9KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
9KB, 259x194px
>>14659232
E34 alpina B10
>>
File: 61gfMBv1mTL._SL1298_.jpg (99KB, 1298x1141px) Image search: [Google]
61gfMBv1mTL._SL1298_.jpg
99KB, 1298x1141px
I drive a turbo 4. My exhaust is sectioned, so its like 5 separate pipes joined by 2 bolt flanges to each other. I want to re gasket everything because there's fucktons of soot leaking from every single flange, however I'm a cheapskate and don't want to spend over $10 each on at least 5 new gaskets.
Would gaskets cut from a sheet of 1/8" 70a hardness (roughly equal to how hard a tire or shoe sole is) silicone rubber work well and stand up to the heat? I can get a 4"x36" sheet for $10 and that would likely cover everything.
>>
>>14644602
I love this picture.
>>
>>14660124
Just clean the old gaskets up and use some exhaust-grade RTV.
>>
>>14659232
Mercedes 190e
>>
File: 33.jpg (124KB, 1226x640px) Image search: [Google]
33.jpg
124KB, 1226x640px
What is a good tool set under $150 for working on old Toyota pickup?

I've never bought a tool set before so I appreciate any input.
>>
>>14660262
The old ones were multi layer metal gaskets and they were rusting and separating
>>
>>14660280
Pretty much that one. What year of Yota? Gonna need some actual metric wrenches of varying sizes. Some are surprisingly large and priced accordingly...
>21mm x2 for my Miats ($13 per)
>19mm ($11)
>23mm ($15)
>>
>>14660381
It's a 94. My first job will be installing this ARB bullbar I bought. I'm pretty much just replacing the whole front bumper. I don't have any tools to do that with so that's why I'm looking.
>>
>>14660415
The actual Toyota bolts will be 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 21(wheelnuts) 22(occasional chassis bolts) and 24 - for the diff plugs.
The mounting kit for the bullbar will be whatever size bolts were the cheapest at the time.

Probably a few 18mm bolts in there.

You have a shifter, I'm sure, just get a set of metric 1/2 drive sockets.
>>
>>14660428
This. Also, get yourself a big-ass 1/2" breaker bar aka flex bar. Leverage is a wonderful thing.
>>
>>14659217
>>14657969
jees guys I just thought if its possible that because the diesel oil is more viscous it takes longer for the pump to pump it through and thats the reason it wont let me drive for a minute or so.
It's actually a pretty ok car, only complaints I have are loud road noise on highway and a bit stiff suspension, bumps hurt muh spine. If it was in better condition as far as rust concerned it would be good deal for the kind of money I got it for.
>>
>>14643099
Mighty Car Mods is okay
>>
>>14648310
Since you have more to think about as a beginner, it's naturally me dangerous. That shouldn't keep you from driving anyway, practice makes perfect. In a few days you'll be shifting like a champ
>>
>>14653346
>4 cylinder
>twin turbo

Fuck no, buy an E46 328i. Best engine every built, period.
>>
>>14656084
Sounds like a faulty air mass meter (?).
>>
>>14659232
Mercedes 190
>>
>>14660480
Should i take the 1.0 Toyota yaris i inherited and slap a big ass electric kit on it?
>>
http://www.motortrend.com/news/new-study-suggests-gen-z-interested-driving-gen-y/

Are the kids going to be alright?
>>
Is there anything I could look for in a car that has a rebuilt engine or should I just stay away from and not take the chance of getting fucked.

Also how does buying a car with a lien work? I understand that the bank owns it and the guy still owes money on it.

I'm looking at Trans Am GTAs, one of them has a rebuilt engine (and is claiming it makes 400 hp) and the other one has a title status of lien.

I'm also looking at another trans am that's not a GTA, but does have the 350, which I wouldn't mind either. This one has a rebuilt transmission, is that also anything to be concerned about?
>>
If I need to replace my brake pads and rotors, is it straightforward to install ventilated rotors in place of the stock non-ventilated ones?
>>
>>14660758
no. the discs are of different thicknesses requiring different callipers. Are you having brake fade under heavy braking?

if so your cheapest upgrade will be DOT 5.1 Brake fluid. 5.1 is okay to use with rubber hoses (5 / 5.0 is not)

After that you could look at brake ducting. If this isnt possible then;

you could look for a variant of your car that did come with vented discs and purchase callipers from a breakers.

>>14660600
ask for reciepts and dyno sheets to prove rebuild, if he can produce neither then ask for the name of the shop that rebuilt it (and then contact the shop)

When you buy a car with a lien you need to contact the bank and ensure that the change of ownership has completed. its best to contact the bank BEFORE you have purchased the car, there may be paperwork that you and the seller need to submit.
>>
The shifter in my car seems to be really heavy. Whatever is causing it must be a long-term thing, since it was gradual enough that I didn't really realise how much force I need to shift gears in mine until I tried driving a new manual car.

What could be causing this and what could I do to make it move easier? Could it be the metal shifter bushings, or is this just a matter of taking off the shift boot and spraying lithium grease on everything that moves +/- onto the shifter cables?
>>
File: BMW_1series_rear.jpg (562KB, 1773x1152px) Image search: [Google]
BMW_1series_rear.jpg
562KB, 1773x1152px
Is a 2007 e87 a good choice? Im in love with the ass on this car and they are in my price range (around the 10k euro) with alot of options
>>
>>14648115
>>14648163
>>14648165
what spring types can you cut?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNOmTsmABIc
>>
>>14651542
LED Book/clip style light?
>>
Is a timing belt + tensioner + water pump really a 1000$ job? I've called 2 mechanics and they both said around 1000$. car is a 1996 volvo 960.
>>
>>14652230
If US, you're forgetting court costs will take it near/over $200

It's apparently illegal to look at a deputy of the law?

The deputy is full of shit and can suck a fat one, they pulled you over with likely no crime committed, then went looking for something to ticket you with.

Normally <--

They (may) have to state what their reasonable suspicion is, i.e. Traffic violation or otherwise, and (may only then) investigate further to be thorough in their investigation.

>>14652567
If it's a hobby car, the interior is OK/nice, and you're looking to swap in a fresher drivetrain then yes, otherwise wutareyoudoing.

>>14652794
>>14652988
Classic /o/

>>14653346
poserinhighschooldumb
If you/parent/guardian can/will affor/share the initial cost, maintenance, & Premium fuel, then yes.

P.S.
Find out what car will get you the ideal cunt you want.

>>14660262
>>14660326
Then no you may not, MLS gaskets are replacement only, silicones still burn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone#Formaldehyde

>>14660600
Lien = Bank/lender holds the title.

>>14661099
youtube that shiz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2-HDOAh3xE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfit75Yg4u0
>>
>>14661099

Checked my local parts site for prices (eurofag so volvo parts are probably a little bit more expensive in the states)

belt - $55
tensioner - $70
waterpump - $81

you can also buy these parts in a set for $193 for the 960

You better learn how to wrench if mechanics in your area try to scam you this hard
>>
>>14661376
>>14661379

I've never even changed my own oil, I have literally no tools or experience with replacing stuff like a timing belt.

I haven't even bought the car yet, I took it to a mechanic and that's basically all it needs, miraculously.

Maybe someday I can do it myself.

Do you think any mechanic would let me buy my own parts and just have them do the work? The guy at the shop said "maybe" and to come back when his boss is back from vacation.
>>
>>14661389

>Do you think any mechanic would let me buy my own parts and just have them do the work? The guy at the shop said "maybe" and to come back when his boss is back from vacation

Alot of mechanics do this, atleast in my area. I didn't knew a thing about cars but wanted to save money so I bought my own parts and just drove to the nearest shop asking if they wanted to put them on my car. After a while they even let me work on my own car in their garage using all their tools etc for free. Alot of independent garage owners are quite chill about this stuff, aslong as you don't go to a volvo stealership. They will rape you
>>
I made a thread already but I'll ask here anyway.
>>14661430

Which is more cost effective? Taking a car to a shop to upgrade parts/performance/luxury features or trading up and buying a new car?
>>
>>14661427
Well hopefully I can at least use this to get more off of the car when/if I buy it.
>>
>>14661466
depends on your aims and goals.
Most of the time buying a new / different car is a better option.
>>
File: Clipboard04.png (2MB, 1366x623px) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard04.png
2MB, 1366x623px
>>14661389
Im not >>14661379 btw

I am however >>14661376

If you're in the US see image, does not include ~$15 in shipping

Video descriptions state:Timing belt replacement without water pump: 4 to 6 hours, With water pump 5 to 7 hours.

This video will show you how to replace the timing belt, water pump, idler roller, tensioner roller and tensioner on a Volvo 960, S90 and V90.

--> It should take you 3 to 4 hours.

Most smaller independent shops give a shit about their customers, that said, many of them will allow you to bring your own parts, with the understanding that they may not warranty the work done. Simply ask first.
>>
>>14661485
I got the car little under a year ago. I hate the radio and since I have a better job I want something a little nicer.
That said I don't want to take on a lot of debt either and I like the car enough to want to keep it.
>>
If my speedometer is 3% slow is my total mileage 3% slow also?

My car utilizes a speedometer cable with a gear on the end that goes into the manual trans if that helps.
>>
>>14661494
The repair estimate is $319 for the "timing belt kit", and for some reason the "kit" doesn't include the water pump and tensioner, those are 135 and 216 respectively.

Could it be that where they get their parts is just this expensive, or they are trying to get some more profit in addition to labor?
>>
>>14661504
possibly.

3% deviation can be due to tire profile / the rolling radius of the wheel not matching OEM.
This means that the miles recordedwith OEM wheels are "true" while miles recorded with the different 3% deviation are lower.
>>
>>14661517
It's all in labor. $650 - $750 for a timing job is considered a good price. Volvo's might be a little harder because fucking cramped.
>>
>>14661471

how much is the guy asking for it?
>>
>>14661530
>>14661529
$1050, 745 in parts, 222 in labor.
>>
>>14661504
Yes
>>
>>14661529
>>14661530
>>14661534
I even called for a second opinion at another mechanic and he said 1025.
>>
>>14661534
Yeah no. 745 in parts? Are they made of diamond or what? Go to your local Oreallys or Advance and get a kit.

Shops rarely get dealer parts unless they really really have to. They'll get OE replacements from the auto parts stores.
>>
File: IMG_20160317_123522.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160317_123522.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>14661550
Here's the breakdown.
>>
>>14661560
Advance Auto has a WHOLE kit not including seals (camshaft, crank seals, and water pump seals ~~$40) in one kit for $280.99 with a lifetime warranty. Why the heck is their source so expensive?
>>
>>14661587
NAPA?
>>
>>14661592
$406.35, P/N WPK41128

Advance P/N WP270K1A
>>
Are Audi Q7s reliable? I own a 2005 Land Cruiser and my friend is trying to sell me his 2013 Q7 as he's going out of the country for a long period of time. Not so many miles on it. And he's asking right under 60K. Should I really consider it?
>>
>>14661466
depends on your goals, basic cost benefit analysis aka input vs output.

>>14661504
Not always, depends on if the mileage is calculated via the speedo or from a truer source such as Pulse width modulation calculation via the transmission

i.e.
Ford Super duty's ECU calculate speed from a ring gear on the rear axle iirc, but may display speedometer speed as ~ 2-3 mph faster than you may be actually traveling, so it calculates mileage correctly even if it displays the current speed wrong.

>>14661517
Consider the chain of buyers and sellers before the kit gets to your mechanic, all of them want some form of profit for touching the product sold.

Buy one of the complete kits on your own and pay a competent mechanic or technician to install it.
>>
>>14661606
I meant they are a napa mechanic, so I thought that maybe they stiffed them with high costs.
>>
>>14661625
If you can afford it, it's your money.
>>
>>14661626
He said he has a speedo cable (I'm assuming he is talking about the metal cable that spins, not a wire that delivers a current) with a gear in the trans, so it's very likely that the odo uses that too.
Those are usually geared somewhere into the output shaft of the trans, so it basically measures wheel rotation, not true speed.
If that's the case, the his mileage will be off by whatever margin his speedo is off.
>>
>>14661606
>>14661626

Seems ok?

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6403941&jsn=3

They are the company that made that transmission I think, I would assume they would be the "best" to buy.
>>
>>14661655
That should be just fine Aisin is a Major OEM supplier to a lot of brands, including for example, toyota for their water pumps.
>>
File: twist-axle.jpg (22KB, 426x214px) Image search: [Google]
twist-axle.jpg
22KB, 426x214px
>>14641582
I have an odd question.

What is that black stuff on steel parts that come from the factory?

Is it paint or powder?

Where can I get this stuff?
>>
>>14661705
Depends on age and the manufacturer.

Could be either one.
>>
My dipstick is stuck, I can't pull it out. I can't even twist it. Does anyone know of a way to make it loose? I would try like wd40 or something but I don't know what would happen if that gets in the engine oil.
>>
>>14641582
I'd like to replace my front struts before going on a trip this summer. Is it something I could do myself if I gave it like a day? I have almost no tools so I'd have to get a jack and stuff.
>>
>>14661793
Forgot to add this is for a 2009 Nissan Altima.
>>
>>14660860
Yes
>>
>>14643140
Not as much power as the Twin turbo variant of the Z32.

I have no experience with the engine, besides researching a lot because I intend to get a Z31 myself. From my friend's experience with his Z32 he says some parts a pain to get, from what I know compared to many other cars the Aftermarket is small, but exists because Z's are a cult car. The engine is very good from factory so there isnt much "Untapped potential" Like a small block chevy or 2JZ. You gotta build the bitch like crazy to see gains, turbo is the way to go. I read that basic/ budget mods for the Turbo variant can get you maybe 50 hp more, all you gotta do is mod it to be able to turn up the boost without fucking up.

I do have a question about Z31s myself,
Anyone know if the difference in the California model? Because of emissions will I have issues with part compatibility? I plan to check one out this weekend.
>>
>>14661534
>>14661545

I meant the price of the car
>>
>>14661892
They're asking 3000
>>
>>14661763
Wd40 won't harm anything, if it's a metal dipstick you could try heating it and see if it pops loose
>>
>>14661800
You'll have to get spring compressors and may need a few replacement parts like spring pads and strut pads, depends on how bad of shape everything else is when you go to pull Apart your front suspension. You may even have to have an alignment done after wards.

Also if you don't have impact tools it will be a bitch of a job
>>
how many miles is the break in period for tires?

my friend said 100 while someone else said 1000

just got a brand new set of Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Positions yesterday
>>
My check engine light on my 08 Ford Focus came on last night. Is there anything common provlems I should/could check for myself? Are there any problems that gen has? I don't get paid for another week and I don't have a code reader handy.
>>
>>14660428
>>14660438
Awesome, thanks. I'm gonna get some pliers and a pair of vice grips today as well.
>>
>>14650822
Because of the transmission. The 4T65E-HD is rated for 280 lb-ft. The LS4 makes 323 lb-ft. It's a time bomb. You'd need to build the trans for it to be reliable.
>>
>>14662118
Take it to an autozone m8, they do code reads for free.
>>
>>14662526
Anon, bless you. I'm going there now. I'll update with what codes they pull within the next half hour.
>>
>>14641582
i have the same car as the op
i have a jack and two jack stands

how do i raise the car and place the jack stands under the jack points?

thanks in advance
>>
File: subaru-logo.jpg (77KB, 430x306px) Image search: [Google]
subaru-logo.jpg
77KB, 430x306px
>>14641582

Are Subaru's shit? I'm buying a new car and I'm thinking of getting one, but, everyone and their mother is saying that they're shit because something important always breaks on them like something engine related or leaks.

And if they are, what is a good alternative AWD/4WD car?
>>
>>14662564
What am I looking at in terms of repair costs?
>>
File: pile of shite.jpg (128KB, 800x536px) Image search: [Google]
pile of shite.jpg
128KB, 800x536px
What would a bone stock E36 316i Auto run in the 1/4 mile? 19 seconds or there abouts?
>>
What's the least damaging way to launch a car?
>>
>>14662860
Gently letting off the clutch pedal and accelerating just enough for the engine to not drop below idle, but not too much as to pointlessly wear the clutch.
Once the clutch pedal is released completely, you can give as much throttle as you want.
>>
File: 2003np.jpg (124KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
2003np.jpg
124KB, 640x480px
Trying to find a new car for my mom. Thoughts on a 2003 Nissan Pathfinder? She wants a Jeep but I won't let her have one.
>>
>>14661376
>poserinhighschool
I'm actually in my mid 20s, moved from a city to suburbia. Make about 80k a year so the gas/maintenance isn't a huge deal, just wanted to get a car that will last a while and is fun to drive
Looking to spend under 25k after tax on something though, any better suggestions?
>>
>>14662782
test it out yourself
>>
engine makes weird pulsating sounds as if it's revving up and down and making these weird KRRKRRRKRRRKRR sounds when pressing the clutch, i doubt it's got anything to do with clutch or transmission
>>
>>14662915
I don't have one, just curious.
>>
File: autowp.ru_honda_prelude_9.jpg (126KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
autowp.ru_honda_prelude_9.jpg
126KB, 1024x768px
Two questions:

My car makes a strange grinding sound while turning left at a specific angle, but only under acceleration. It's only really noticeable when making tight turns in 2nd gear, but I've heard it at higher speeds as well.
Is it a problem with the power steering belt, or with the differential, or something else?

What would it cost to boost a 1992 Prelude S (f22a1 engine) up to around 200hp? It seems like the engine would handle that on stock internals just fine (iron block, low compression ratio) but I'm not sure.
>>
>>14663046
You might want to check your CV joints
>>
>>14643099
Speed academy is good
>>
What is winter green oil, I need it to soften rubber in my cars engine
>>
Generally, if you have cleared your CEL and didn't fix the problem. How soon will the CEL come back? Some say right away, some say only after the car has gotten out of "learning mode".
>>
>>14662696
Honestly, every car sucks. Some suck less than others. I would say Subarus are ones that suck less.
>>
Hey /o/ I'd like some help diagnosing a problem:

I've got an mr2 with a blacktop in it, recently the timing belt and associated parts have been squeaky on a cold start and up until the point its fully warmed up. I just wrote it off as a case of the cold weather, however it /seems/ to have gotten worse - to the point where the RPM's will dip while its squeaking and then come back up when it stops. Would this be a slipping timing belt?
>>
>>14663111
Depends how often the problem actually happens.
A lot of times the CEL stays on even if the problem only happens one time or between two issues.

So you can easily clear the CEL and go for weeks without ever seeing again if the problem is intermittent (say a connector is not in good shape and sometimes it cause bad contact) or it could pop up right away if the problem is continuous (say a wire has been cut).

The ECU doesn't enter "learning mode" unless you disconnect the battery for a while. If you cleared the CEL with a computer, then the ECU goes on as usual.
>>
>>14661625
>Audi
>reliable
>>
Anyone know of any good car radios for $50 or less? Preferably like $30 because im cheap. Preferably with an aux jack, and a usb slot as well. Everything i find for that price just looks like all the other radios, and they all look cheap.
>>
I'm having difficulty on making myself want a specific car because it's FWD. I can't really think of a reason why it would be a problem for me. It will be my DD, could probably take it to the track sometimes but not really often, and not looking to so sick skids. But some reason having such a front heavy car bothers me. Any reasons I should be okay with it?
>>
Is the stock lsd on a 1.8 miata a torsen? Or is that some sort of upgraded one?
>>
>>14641582
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 i6
If you inb4'd electrical problems, you're absolutely correct.

Car overheats at idle, fine when driving. I through money at the problem, replace radiator fan, rad cap, coolant temperature switch, and replace rad fan relay. Doesn't work, gator clipped the fan directly to battery, it spins. Took a multimeter to an 01, same body same engine, the connection that connects to the rad fan reads .01, where as on my 02 it reads 9.00, gg voltage.

Helps, its having heat strokes constantly because so much idle in slow driver territory.
>>
>>14663187
Yeah that's the problem. There's no way to know if I've fixed the issue that popped the CEL, even if it hasn't come back for a while.
>>
>>14663849
Clogged thermostat?
Low pressure at idle is not enough to circulate all the coolant through the radiator, coolant stays near the engine, overheats.
High pressure when under load forces more coolant thorough the clogged thermostat, more efficient cooling because car is moving, no overheats.

Just my 2 cents, seems like you replaced everything electric, it's time to inspect the cooling system itself
>>
>>14663153
please respond
>>
>>14663859
What was the issue? What was the fix? Don't you have access to a scan tool to see if the fix worked?
>>
>>14663883
no I just meant in general.
>>
>>14663876
Forgot to mention, I replaced the thermostat. The main issue I have is this electric rad fan wont turn on, so the radiator can't get any air to cool down the engine, when moving air is forced into the radiator so it can cool it down. Something in this connection that connects to the rad fan is going crazy with a full 8.99 over what its supposed to read. But thank you for the response, I love him and I don't want him to die but im so shit at electrical issues.
>>
>>14660280
pawn shops usually have good tools cheap, they only pawn on the good stuff, remember to haggle.I've got good deals on Snap-on and Craftsman but craftsman has lowered their quality. I broke a few of them myself. Also a place like Harbor Freight has some great prices and i've been surprised with the quality.
>>
>>14663880
Timing belts don't slip, they may skip a tooth, but they can't physically slip like an accessory belt would and make the same sounds.

So, if you already ruled out any noise from the accessory belt and associated parts (tensioner, idler pulleys, all the other pulleys and accessories), then the only things that can make noise in a timing belt are tensioners and pulleys.
Bearings in a pulley or tensioner can make whining noises, a loose tensioner can rattle and make the belt vibrate.

Have you tried removing the accessory belt with a cold engine and starting the engine like that to see if the noise happens again?
>>
>>14663912
Would about the dip in RPM's while its squeaking though, is that indicative of anything in particular? I feel like if it is it'd help rule out what it is pretty quickly

there's not much room to do anything in the mr2 so the better idea I have of the problem, the less hassle it'll be when I go fix it
>>
>>14663905
Have you tried doing a makeshift circuit between the temp switch, the relay and the fan?
The idea is to replicate the same circuit you have in your car right now with the same main components, but with separate wires to see if you have corroded/cut wires somewhere that can cause the problem.

All the components seem to be new, so you really only have the wires to check
>>
>>14663934
>would about
what about* fuck
>>
>>14663940
I have not tried that yet, thank you for the suggestion. I really hope it works, or else im'a through even more money at the problem and ditch the electric fan for a clutch fan.
>>
>>14663934
Could be anything from a dirty idle valve to a soon-to-be-broken alternator that draws way too much power from the engine.

I know it's a pain in the ass, but noises that come from the belt area need to be diagnosed like this.
You need to know if the noise comes from the timing or from the accessories, and you do that by removing the accessory belt and running the engine.
>>
>>14663849
>>14663905
Sounds to me like the ground side of the fan circuit is open. Probably due to corrosion at a connection somewhere.

You either need somebody that already knows the fan circuit routing and locations, or the Mopar equivalent to an Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM) for that Jeep. Trying to diagnose modern cars without decent information is virtually impossible. Sometimes people get lucky but usually not.
>>
>>14663890
Well then it entirely depends on the problem, there is no rule of thumb here, the CEL comes on when a problem happens, there is no arbitrary delay between the moment you clear the light and the moment it comes on again.

If the problem remains, so does the CEL
>>
I'm looking to getting a moped because I'm a poor fuck. What measures can I take to make sure that it doesn't get stolen? Especially since I live in an apartment?
>>
>>14663961
Do the separate circuit, test it with a running engine, measure the voltage again and see if the problem remains.
If it turns out OK, you start connecting the original wires, one by one, to the circuit until you see the problem happening again and bam, you got your broken wire.

As >>14663974 points out, it could be bad grounding, so make sure to include new grounds in your temporary circuit.

Good luck, troubleshooting wires is a fucking torture
>>
>>14663974
Alright, thanks. Ill take a look at it and see if anything sticks out to me, also will try the makeshift circuit route to. If all else fails, ill head to someone who specialises in this kind of thing and ill empty my bank account. I appreciate all the help.
>>
>>14664007
That sounds like a good plan, thanks. Ill start working on it tonight, if my car can't sleep soundly then nether can I.
>>
>>14663965
kill me now, i'll see about doing it this weekend i guess
>>
>>14664024
Try to get a hold on some wiring diagrams, they can help a lot in finding wires and connectors.
I don't know much about the Cherokee, maybe most wires are easy to reach, but in most cars they are hidden everyfuckingwhere and it's hard to spot all the connectors/splits/joints without the help of a diagram.

It's not impossible without a diagram, but having one can save you a lot of time
>>
how durable is the duratec 30 on mazdas?
>>
Is a motorcycle endorsement from one state good in all states or just the one you got it in?
>>
File: image.jpg (222KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
222KB, 640x1136px
Maybe this belongs here. I just realized F1 is back. What the hell happened to the Lotus team? They got taken over by Renault (Twitter page included) without any warning. F1 coverage in the US isn't the best, but I'm still amazed I didn't hear about Lotus going under. What a shame.

>>14664515
You should be fine everywhere. Unless you move, might have to take another test.
>>
>>14663790
Bump for this
>>
I heard that you can check for compression by pouring a little bit of oil in the spark plug hole; if the oil improves the way the engine runs, then you have bad rings; if it doesn't, then you have a valve or head problem. Is this true?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2ejjrDgzCk&list=WL&index=8

Anyone recognize what car he is driving?
>>
File: Formula-Lotus-E23 (3).jpg (112KB, 1229x820px) Image search: [Google]
Formula-Lotus-E23 (3).jpg
112KB, 1229x820px
>>14664627

It's okay. It's not like they were truly Lotus. Only in name and nothing else. The real Team Lotus with Colin Chapman went outta business in the mid 90's. Hell, it was more Renault than it was Lotus since that's what the team was before it became Lotus.
>>
>>14664715
yes
>>
>>14664726
He talked about wanting a Mustang GT in a dude soup a few months ago so I think it's that.
>>
>>14660851
Bumping this
>>
File: gkrVHQF.gif (1020KB, 340x218px) Image search: [Google]
gkrVHQF.gif
1020KB, 340x218px
Is someone charging 4200 for a car with 160k miles charging too much? Its a toyota camry.
>>
>>14665435
What year mate? I would check on NADA. They have the most realistic pricing for cars. KBB is full of shit.
>>
>>14664780
Cool, wish me luck because I'm going to try it tomorrow
>>
>>14665452
2005 and if it helps I'm from NYC so everything is more expensive.
>>
>>14665480
Dealer or private seller?

Even the base model of a 05 Camry, non v6 model, with 160k would be $6k if it was "clean retail". Doubt it's "clean" however. So it sounds pretty good, but then again sounds like something might be up with it.
>>
File: 1458178698621.jpg (56KB, 437x582px) Image search: [Google]
1458178698621.jpg
56KB, 437x582px
>>14665495
Private seller, a friend of someone. He was up front and said that one of the front breaks and a shock might need replacing. Also some sort of leak under the hood (Im not auto savvy hence why I'm here). I dont recall what exactly the leak was but he said it wasn't expensive.

Then again he does work at an auto shop.
>>
>>14665375
Manual transmission fluid change time. Also, linkage wear/lube.
>>
>>14665518
Ask him if he got these quotes from an auto shop, a reputable one that is, and that should tell you how much he knows. Though you can look up the general pricing on these online too, but it might be off too. Looking up the specific brand should be more accurate.

The brakes need immediate replacing. The shocks not so much. The "drive" of the car might suck, but it will still be derivable. Assuming it's only one shock, you won't be bouncing around too much when you have too much weight. You might hear some screeching noises too. However; you can save some money by replacing these both yourself. They shouldn't be all too hard.

The leak is a whole other thing. Thankfully private sellers will make you aware of what's wrong and will knock down the price based on what they know. Unlike dealers.
>>
File: 1430074793726.jpg (148KB, 960x731px) Image search: [Google]
1430074793726.jpg
148KB, 960x731px
>>14665574
Thanks for all the answers. Yes he said the shock isnt a big deal but the break I will need to replace.

Is there any specific youtube channel or website you would reccomend that isnt too complicated and explains how to replace those things?

Thanks again!
>>
>>14665588
Yeah the brakes are what actually need replacing because it's what's stopping your car. Though if it's a manual you can control this a bit more with some engine braking, but you'll still want the front breaks replaced since they usually of the work on braking. Shocks, while I don't know if having bad ones will damage your car, aren't too important. As far as I know you'll just bounce around when you hit a pretty big bump in the road.

Sorry, last time I did them I had a friend kind of point me through but it's one of those things that just seem too easy once you have the know how. However; I've had to replace other things on my car too that were specific, like the pcv, and all I did was look up the specific model and year. You should be able to get a good youtube video on that. I'm not too sure but I think even some manufactures have little differences on brake changes. Since the Camry is a popular model, I expect that to be somewhat easy. Try searching "05 Camry brake replacement" and see what that brings up.
>>
>>14665604
>they usually of the work
>wtf
I mean they usually do most of the work on FWD cars. Sorry about that. Guess the alcohol is getting to me.
>>
File: 1455486625442.jpg (65KB, 596x399px) Image search: [Google]
1455486625442.jpg
65KB, 596x399px
I've had a car that's been sitting for about 9 years. We tried to get it running years ago, but just dropped it because we didn't have time.

So, I looked at the fluids and all of them are clean and clear, since we put new fluids in them before it sat for 9 years.

So, is it safe to use fluids that have been sitting, but are clean with little use?

I know I have to replace the fuel, but asides from that, the oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and coolant were all clean and not discolored or dark.
>>
I've left my battery disconnected from my car for about a month do I have to worry about anything when I reconnect the battery?
>>
>>14665706
Change it all! Condensation over those years will have contaminated the fluids.
>>
File: 1428854939767.jpg (72KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1428854939767.jpg
72KB, 750x750px
>>14665604
Thanks for all your input, anon.
>>
>>14665927
No problem. Wish you luck anon.
>>
File: r9hjR.jpg (29KB, 260x272px) Image search: [Google]
r9hjR.jpg
29KB, 260x272px
>>14665746
Since the thing hasn't been turned over since then, could I just siphon out the reservoir and replace what were in the tanks?
>>
>>14666085
Coolant's probably fine desu. It'd be a good idea to just spend the time refreshing everything.
>>
Is the stock last on a 1.8 miata a torsen? Or is it different?
>>
>>14666340
Lsd I meant to say
>>
>>14662907
What are the plastic bars in the front of the hood like that one in the pic?
What purpose do they serve?
>>
>>14666340
There's a list on Miata.net that shows which ones with which option codes had 'em.
>>
Oh right, because when that engine is stopped, all those exhaust valves will all be closed right? Sides
>>
>>14665719
No
>>
Guys, so I have a 1993 Toyota Carina E

I just bought a Sony CDX 710 stereo (used and for low bucks - older model but when new it costed 200$/€ apparently) to replace my 20 yr old tape deck.

Anyway it works great, but my speakers are original 10W papers. SO i want to replace them

Now i have a couple of questions: i removed my speaker and it has some sort of plug connecting to the wiring, and i can't find that sort of plug anywhere on the internet (tried googling toyota speaker plug / adapter / wiring but everything looks different from what i have), so i guess I will have to cut that plug and leave just the wiring, and then solder the wires from new speakers right?

Or is it better to crimp?

The speakers i will buy will of course be used also, but i guess anything is better than what i have now right?
>>
File: 2056178_pg1.jpg (73KB, 800x493px) Image search: [Google]
2056178_pg1.jpg
73KB, 800x493px
>>14666721
Could i use those wire connections you use when you wire for an example in this pic
>>
>>14666395
Bug deflector
>>
File: 960612904475455462.jpg (95KB, 800x487px) Image search: [Google]
960612904475455462.jpg
95KB, 800x487px
>>14666755
Jesus Christ he is wiring a speaker not a ceiling lamp.

Fastons are the way to go, especially since the speakers already come with male fastons on them
>>
Hey guys check this out

So the other day my tire pressure light went on and I went to put some air in it. When I tried the what I think is called the valve stem broke off. So right now the tired holds air and If I push in what I think is the core air will come out. But since it doesn't have its outside stem part there is nothing for anything to grab on to in order ot put air in the car.

Friend recommended getting a valve extender and using that as a pseudo valve stem. Will it work?

Just don't want to go to get it fixed cause I'm pretty broke and I feel like they are gonna tell me they have to take out the whole part and replace it for 100usd + labor when it's just this small thing.

it's 2009 mazda 3

:(
>>
File: 01-air-gun.jpg (823KB, 2116x1232px) Image search: [Google]
01-air-gun.jpg
823KB, 2116x1232px
Pic related will do the job just fine, it probably costs less than $10.
The only problem is you can't read the pressure, but you can just keep filling air at small intervals until the light goes off.

Also valves are very, very cheap, the problem is you need to partially move the tire away from the rim in order to access the back of the valve.
The TPMS sensor is probably just bolted to the valve, so you just swap that in the new one and you are set.

All in all, even with labor, it's going to take less money than it would take to replace a single tire.
>>
>1993 S10 2.8l 5speed
>Ignition key turns cylinder fine
>Goes all the way to run, and back to lock.
>Will not go past run to turn the starter
>I do not believe it is steering wheel lock related, as it releases just fine when it gets to the Run spot of the ignition
>I've tried releasing and engaging the clutch while jiggling the ignition
>Tried my spare key
>All same results, wont turn final bit to crank starter
>Happened randomly, had to push start it to get it home
>Tried graphite.
>Previous couple times of starting truck did have slight resistance when turning over all the way to start it.
>>
Looking for seats for my 3 series drift car.

I've got two in mind, but one doesn't look supportive enough and the other might be too narrow because I'm a big guy.

Which would be better?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-BUCKET-CAR-SEATS-FOR-VAUXHALL-CORSA-COMBO-FIXED-RACING-SEAT-/351178854748

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-RECLINING-BUCKET-CAR-SEATS-FOR-BMW-MINI-/351178982163?hash=item51c3e60313:g:ObcAAOSw~gRVmtde
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-18-21-38-32.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-18-21-38-32.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
What would be the easiest way to get rid of this rather shallow dwet? It's located in a tricky spot, there's a sharp angle that seems to be quite futile to just try and pop out from the other side.
>>
File: IMG_20160318_151537657.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160318_151537657.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
Hey, /o/, how do you clean old pleather and that hard molded foam?
I took the armrest off (the hard molded foam) and you can see the original color of the panel.
>>
File: IMG_20160318_153024089.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160318_153024089.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>14668421
How about hard molded rubber? Inside has original colour
>>
Is being a car salesman a decent profession? I'd like to get more into the automotive world and a lexus dealership near me is hiring.
>>
File: 2016-03-18_21-38-01.png (400KB, 988x969px) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-18_21-38-01.png
400KB, 988x969px
how do I do this step? (MK3 ford focus)

and more importantly, how do I do this step if the damaged front fender won't let me open the door
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.