[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SMOG CHECK I'M FUCKED

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: asdf.jpg (66KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
asdf.jpg
66KB, 1280x720px
Hey guys, I need some help with my car and I'm getting desperate so I thought I'd come here. I have a 2001 lexus is300 that has been giving me a check engine light p0440.

I got some repairs done, and the check engine light returned after 200 miles which seems a little strange. I also need to pass my smog test in 2 weeks.

I was told I can reset the check engine light with a scanner, drive for about 10 minutes to reset some smog monitors, and take the test and pass. Is this true?
>>
>>14636050
I forgot to mention, my uncle is a smog technician and this is what he told me. I intend to fix the fucking problem with my car, I just need some more time to figure out exactly what it is. I'm in California.
>>
>>14636056
Why not just get your uncle to pass you?
>>
It depends on what sensor is throwing the code. My car had an evap sensor problem and the sensor wouldn't be ready to scan until I drove atleast 50 miles after I reset the battery
>>
That's an evap code, you probably didn't tighten your gas cap all the way. Tighten it and clear the code.
>>
>>14636065
I don't know how this works and he is a very uptight guy, so I don't know if he would. Can he possibly test another car and pass my car?
>>
>>14636081
I've already done that. I got some hoses and a valve replaced, although I feel like the problem is a valve on the charcoal canister. Already blew through 200 bucks just on parts.
>>
>>14636066
I'm fine with 50 miles. I thought I fixed the problem but it just came back today after 200 miles of driving. I'm waiting to scan the car right now but I'm 98% sure its going to give me the same code.
>>
>>14636050
Drill a few holes in your exhaust pipe so the smog will get out before the end.
>>
>>14636050
OP I'm thinking of buying a first gen IS 300. Would you recommend? How reliable has yours been?
>>
>>14636150
very, very reliable. Just hit 250k miles and this is the only problem I have had with it, and the problem is emission related not engine/transmission/etc. Fun car to drive too.
>>
>>14636088
You can't do that anymore, the machine knows what car it is when it's plugged into the diagnostic port to check the monitors. The only thing testing another car worked for was for the sniffer but even that is hard to fudge with how the dyno works on cars from that era. Your scanner should tell you after you clear the code when all the monitors are set, so as soon as they are all good (hopefully the evap code doesn't go off again if you were able to do 200 miles once) go in to get it smogged. Unfortunately it can take a long time to set all the monitors on some cars, I've driven cars over 200 miles to get the air injection monitor to set recently. There should be a procedure for your monitors that you can get from Lexus, it's normally start the car and let it run for 10 minutes, drive 5 miles at 2500 RPM, do a handful of accelerations, it's just to simulate "normal" driving conditions.
>>
File: cause-of-death.gif (99KB, 700x695px) Image search: [Google]
cause-of-death.gif
99KB, 700x695px
>>14636150
I have an 02. It's been a champ. No major problems and I'm at 163k. It's a 90s Toyota design, what do you expect?

Make sure to find one that hasn't been hooned aggressively and you'll be fine.
>>
File: 1226681580098.jpg (15KB, 219x251px) Image search: [Google]
1226681580098.jpg
15KB, 219x251px
>>14636050
Just disconnect your battery for a few minutes to reset your CELs. Clearly doesn't fix any actual issues but it will reset the computer.

Also double check all your ECU connections. I was getting bizarre codes that would fluctuate and it turned out it was just a loose connection in the box. This was, of course, after I raped my knuckles getting two new O2 sensors in.
>>
>>14636186
Thanks for the help man, I really appreciate it. The evap code turns on after about a week of driving so hopefully I'll be good.
>>
>>14636184
>>14636198
I've found a few with 70-80k miles on them, Im really tempted. They look beautiful in my opinion, as long as they're not riced out.
>>
>>14636264
The build quality on these cars are really impressive, the body is the nicest IS body also IMO. I really wish I had a manual one but for a DD, an automatic IS300 is a great car, its fun to drive and its really comfortable.
>>
>>14636216
Disconnecting the battery will cause him to fail the test unless he drives it for some time afterwards which might bring the code back.
>>
>>14636321
The check engine code comes back after 200 miles, so the monitors should be reset by then.
>>
>>14636088
If you're in SoCal, I can have it done for you.
>>
>>14636944
Don't spread the secret goy!
>>
>>14636944
I'm in SoCal, I have a smog technician in my family who owns his own shop. I've seen you post before and you seem to know about lexus cars, do you know what the drive cycle is to reset the monitors for smog?
>>
>>14637307
just pay someone to pass it like everyone does you pussy
>>
>>14636944
>>14636944
Also, how do you get cars to pass? I've heard about testing the car before the ecu throws out an error code, is this what you do?
>>
>>14637312
I don't know where you live but they cracked down big time on doing that here in Los Angeles and Orange County. How will the smog technician make my car pass when it has a check engine light? All I've been reading about is testing the car after you reset the check engine light and before the ecu throws out the error code again.
>>
>>14637323
dude i live in la and paid an armenian 150 bucks to pass my car
>>
>>14637331
How the fuck does that even work? I thought my car would fail automatically once its hooked up to the smog machine. I'm Armenian too kek, fucking Armenians in LA are so shady.
>>
>>14637307
The point is to travel at constant speed without touching brakes for a while. Toyota never states how it's done in the manual or website like BMW for example
Let it idle for 5-10 then drive, make sure you have between 1/2 to 3/4 tank of gas.

>>14637317
I can't get too in detail, but essentially give the ecu the signals it wants to see.

>>14637331
$150 is very cheap. Armenians are stupid to risk it for so little. It's very easy to get caught unless you really know how it all works. About a year ago it became a bitch, used to be super easy.
>>
>smog check
sucks that you dont live in a real state/country where you dont have to put up with such liberal cuckery
>>
>>14636150
2000 Solara here with the 3.0 litre four cam which I believe is the motor the 300 has, great motor for what it is.

Makes a decent noise, average power, average economy and good reliability.
>>
>>14638210
every. single. thread
based California trigger
>>
File: 20151228_085608.jpg (1MB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
20151228_085608.jpg
1MB, 1920x2560px
>>14638210
Yeah it sucks, I'm getting really tired of driving 575s and 360s on empty mountain roads for hours a day because the left side monitors won't set, thinking about moving to Iowa
>>
>>14638210
You realize emissions isn't shit compared to the inspections in most other states
>>
>>14638230
Your Solara is a 3.0 v6 and fwd
Is300 is a NA 2jz 3.0 I6 and RWD
Very different
>>
>>14638410
So long as the check engine light isn't on in my state you're good to go
>>
>>14638417
Which begs the question why they put that in a solara. 2JZ is based as fuck.
>>
OP here, thanks for the help guys. My family member said hes going to pass the car tomorrow and to not worry, I wonder what he's going to do.

I got until the 26th to figure this shit out. Wish me luck bros, and thanks for the help.
>>
>>14638075
Say my car was to pass with the cel light on, how much should I expect to pay?
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.