[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wheel security

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: 1.0x0.jpg (41KB, 1000x1001px) Image search: [Google]
1.0x0.jpg
41KB, 1000x1001px
Anyone have lock nuts or 7 sided lug nuts on their car?
>>
Every time I buy a car with locking wheel nuts the first thing I do is change them for normal ones. It's pretty rare round here for wheels to get nicked but I'm far more concerned about having a flat tyre and discovering that the socket is missing
>>
>>14635810

They're pretty easy to break and keys for them aren't hard to get. Lots of shops have a collection of keys for when the owner forgets to bring theirs. But they will stop an unprepared newbie theif I suppose.
>>
I've gone the easy way and hooked up a 2kg charge of C4 that detonates if the bolts arent removed in a very specific ordee
>>
Just take factory wheel locks off. If they want the wheels that badly they'll either steal the whole vehicle and take them off later and torch it, or they'll smash the window out and grab the lock from the glove box where most people keep them.

The only "safe" lock is a 7 or more sided spline drive nut. 6 is a shit design and most can be taken off with an 11/16 socket or smaller. Even then if they want your wheels that bad they'll just steal the entire vehicle and torch it later.

Best to just to put regular nuts on and make sure your insurance will replace aftermarket wheels and tires if they get stolen.
>>
Will a "tuner" style lug nut for aftermarket wheels with a special key work on factory wheels?
>>
File: 1456113062392.png (3MB, 857x2440px) Image search: [Google]
1456113062392.png
3MB, 857x2440px
>>14635810
>buy special lugnuts
>thief just pounds old stripped socket onto them
>>
No I have a garage, when I was younger and lived in a low rent neighborhood I didn't put aftermarket wheels on my car.
>>14637827
that or a twist socket for removing stripped fasteners.
>>
>>14637915

Fuck that, all you need is a good punch and a hammer. Those factory locks are only made of magnesium and will split right in half.
>>
>>14636074
wtf is a tuner lug nut?
>>
>>14637934

Blue ones
>>
I throw all my locking wheel nuts in the trash. The latest car I've bought (MG ZS) has them from factory and I haven't got around to swapping them out yet. Cue a flat tyre on Friday

>Spend literally 15 minutes trying to line up the lock key with the nut
>Finally slides in
>Proceeds to cam out when I try and break the nut, cue another 10 minutes trying to line up the key perfectly again

Fuck this shit
>>
I usually just gack all over my lug nuts and shit so I can find solace in The fact that somebody touched my jizz trying to steal my shit
>>
File: car-clinic-locking-wheel-nut-key.jpg (194KB, 1000x623px) Image search: [Google]
car-clinic-locking-wheel-nut-key.jpg
194KB, 1000x623px
>>14638643
One of these cunts for the record
>>
if i had a mobile welding rig what would stop me from just tack welding a nut to a safety bolt so i could use a regular socket on it no matter the shape?
>>
>>14638728
>if i had a mobile welding rig what would stop me from just tack welding a nut to a safety bolt so i could use a regular socket on it no matter the shape?
The fact that a mobile welding rig could probably make you a lot more money legally than stealing someone's shitty wheels.
>>
>>14638728
Because its easier to angle grind a slit in it and unscrew with a broad flathead bit in a powerdrill.
>>
>>14635810

don't live or park in ghettos so this isn't ever an issue?
>>
>>14635820
I do the opposite. I put a different locking wheel nuts on every spoke for each wheel.
>>
No one wants to steal my 14in tires and steel rims.
No point in a 7 sides nut
>>
Forget somebody stealing your wheels... is anybody here worried somebody will break into your car (break window, force door open, etc) and then put your car into neutral and release the parking break? Literally every time I park on a hill I'm worried this is going to happen. It's so fucking simple to do, anyone could do it. Your car could roll down a hill and slam into a wall, go off a cliff, etc.
>>
File: received_980023572039835.jpg (10KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
received_980023572039835.jpg
10KB, 499x499px
>>14640806
>Basketball American smashes the window
>Nabs radio and 37 cents in change from the cup holders
>Pops car into neutral and releases parking brake for shits and giggles
>Shirt gets snagged in the window sill
>Dragged beneath your now rolling car
>>
>>14638675
Is that a loose outer ring on those lug bolts? Pretty simple clever way to prevent attacks with a pipe wrench or other ways of gripping the outside.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.