[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who is the best rally driver of all time?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

File: colin-mcrae.jpg (869KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
colin-mcrae.jpg
869KB, 1200x800px
Who is the best rally driver of all time?
>>
>>14606895
Me.
>>
the ones still alive
>>
>>14606895

Well it sure as shit isn't Colin "One-time WRC champion who tended to crash more than complete events" McRae...

In reality, it's probably a toss-up between any of the Group B drivers just because of how terrible those cars were in comparison to the power they made. It's a wonder only two of them died in that 5 year period.
>>
>>14606996
Colin Mcrae died in a helicopter crash. Richard Burns died of a brain tumor. Some of the best didn't die from the sport
>>
File: sebastien-loeb1.jpg (28KB, 500x337px)
sebastien-loeb1.jpg
28KB, 500x337px
>>
Bo Ljungfelt, Ken Block
>b...but Ken Block sucks he has Monster stickers on his car and he's just rich
I don't see any other rally drivers making world famous youtube videos of their driving skills
>>
>>134575613
Röhrl
>>
>>14607023
Ken Block is literally a billboard
>>
>>14606895
Walter Rohrl
He knew that the "win or crash" strategy was fucking stupid, so he instead drove as fast as he could, and rekt michelle mouton
>>
>>14607033
Maybe to the average /o/ poster who doesn't know anything about driving or cars

>that AWD Mustang comes out
>insane build, top notch chassis engineering, really well thought out
>reception on /o/: IT SUCKS BECAUSE I DON'T LIKE THE STICKERS ON IT
>>
>>14607050

>Implying Ken Block built the car

Are you retarded or what
>>
>>14607023
*tips Monster™ hat*
>>
>>14607065
>Implying Ken Block built the car
Where was that implied?
>>
>>14607039
win or crash strategy is same as drive as fast as you can.
>>
>>14607091
Nah mate, not necessarily. It can mean that if you know you can't win this stage, you'll go harder, crash, and then have a gimped car for the next stage because time limits. Also, if you set consistently good times that put you in the podium, and then the moron in the top crashes, you will always win.
>>
>>14607018
Seconded.
That rally cross spanking he gave to pastrana and block still amuses me.
>>
>>14607023
ken block is a totally mediocre rally driver. Hes a posterboy for the whole fucking "drift boy" driver scene now. He lucked out with his success. He has made cool videos but realistically any creditable rally driver with the proper resources could do the exact same thing. so I agree>>14607033
>>
Loeb. then Makinnen and the McRae

Sainz is also very good
>>
what, no tomy?
>>
>>14607023
Lolwat. Kenblock might have struck it with a certain YouTube crowd but he's is most certainly not near a greatest rally driver.
>>
>>14608092

This man knows, though..
No ogier?
>>
File: karjala.jpg (12KB, 203x190px) Image search: [Google]
karjala.jpg
12KB, 203x190px
I'd have to say Marcus Grönholm. https://youtu.be/DwukCdGKOdY

Maybe Räikkönen ties it up, but as we all know, Finnish people are best ralli drivers.
>>
>>14609328
Grönholm vs Loeb were best modern rally years. So much fun to watch them battle it out.

I'll say Röhrl, though. Because of many small (and quite a few not so small) things, rather than a dozen championship wins. Also stupid fast track race driver, even though he much prefers rally.
>>
File: ken-block-monster[1].jpg (448KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ken-block-monster[1].jpg
448KB, 1920x1200px
>>14606895
Definitely Ken Block! I once saw him rip sick skids! He is so cool! I love Monster lol I have the stickers on my snapack!
>>
>>14606895
Ari Vatanen
or
Walter Röhrl
>>
>>14608688
ogier is definitely up there and i think breen deserves an honorable mention.
>>
>>14609328

After Marcus retired it was a bit too easy times for Loeb so I dont think Loeb is best ever but easily one of the best.

Toivonen had huge potential but his career was sadly cut short.

I think that maybe Vatanen was best ever, second would be Tommi Mäkinen and third place goes to Röhl.

I wonder why there have not been any great rally drivers from US becouse many good drivers on other motorsports came from there. WRC is like playground for Finnish rally drivers, sadly now its a bit quiet on winning races but Latvala is still pretty damn fast when he keeps his car on the road. Maybe that son of Rovanperä, Kalle will be the next finnish champion if Latvala wont make it?

Sorry about my shitty english skills.
>>
He is dead now, but i always found Simon McKinley to be border line insane in his driving habits. I cant tell if its all skill, luck or a very dangerous combination of the two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwl40XFvpLE
>>
>>14609555
Absolute madman
He doesn't seem to know that there's a brake pedal.
>>
>>14609566
He really did not, qualified ahead of "older" F4 and F3 style cars in the same events.

he also ran off the side of the mountain last year.
>>
>>14609555
I had a chance to see this man live
If only I knew then
>>
1. Tommi Mäkinen
2. Colin McRae
3. Rauno Aaltonen
4. Carlos Sainz
5. Jari-Matti Latvala
6. Sebastien Ogier
7. Sebastian Loeb
8. Mikko Hirvonen
9. Mika Hakkinen
10. Peter Solberg
>>
I think Fujiwara is best driver
>>
Sebastian Loeb. Man does both rally and track racing.
>>
I'd say Loeb. Maybe not the best rally driver, but the best driver in general.

The guy is good at everything he tries.
>Dakar (up until he went full Tony Hawk with his Peugeot)
>Pikes Peak
>Rally
>24H of Le Mans
>FFSA GT
>WTCC

He even tried F1 once. At a practice day or something. He endend with the 10th laptime of the day, despite only driving the car for a few hours
>>
>>14607023
>I don't see any other rally drivers making world famous youtube videos

That's because they're busy winning championships, dumbass.
>>
>>14607018
Pretty much the only correct answer.
>>
>>14610539
don't forget this rallycross gem

>muh gymkhana

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3JSdLJGcW4
>>
>>14610539
i though i was fast on the touge until i saw his hillclimb at pikes. fuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6YKqaf4Ao4

makinen is pretty good to, as are ogier and mcrae
>>
>>14607023
i don't see him winning anything.

>>14607050
we're talking about drivers, not grease monkeys
>>
File: Lancia_037_AMI_2006.jpg (210KB, 1024x719px) Image search: [Google]
Lancia_037_AMI_2006.jpg
210KB, 1024x719px
>>14606895
This question has no one right answer, but here are my nominees:
Sebastian Leob
Stephane Peterhansel(gorillion Dakar wins)
Juha Kankkunen
Tommi Mäkinen
Henri Toivonen
Hannu Mikkola(Audi had some team back in the day Röhrl, Mikkola, Blomqvist)
Walter Röhrl
Ari Vatanen
and maybe Markku Alen

I´m biased as fuck, because I´m from Finland and rally is a kind of national sport.
>>
File: sainz.jpg (28KB, 335x335px)
sainz.jpg
28KB, 335x335px
Carlos Sainz

>watching onboards of him with Moya giving pacenotes at 300 words per minute
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.