[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fair Labor Cost?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (21KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21KB, 300x300px
I'm getting my transmission and differential fluid replaced in my 2001 BMW 540i 6 speed, and live in an apartment without tools. I've sourced a shop to do the job and they want $98 for the hour of labor it would take for it as well.

Is that a fair estimate?
>>
>>14605714

Sounds about right. I assume this isn't a BMW dealership though?

Also do your homework, read reviews, talk to customers leaving the shop, etc.

Make sure they actually CHANGE the fluids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-avpx8UTakI
>>
>>14605723
It's an independent shop that specializes in BMW's and gets really good reviews all around.

Would it really take an hour for that shit though?
>>
>>14605799

It might, I'm not familiar with 540s but some vehicles aren't just a simple matter of pulling a plug and letting it drip out. Maybe they have to unbolt and move some shields or hoses, maybe the computer needs some attention after a service like this, etc.

Is your transmission a closed system? That is, can the fluid be filled by simply dumping it in or does it need to be pumped in with a special pump? Some systems are closed and so changing fluid is more labour intensive.

If you want to save some money you could always look at buying the fluids yourself and just having them perform the labour. My dad takes his Ridgeline to a private shop, but it requires special VTM-4 fluid that you can only buy at a Honda dealership. My dad just buys the fluid and leaves it with the mechanic when he drops off the vehicle, saves him having to wait for the mechanic to go to the dealership and buy it, since Honda won't deliver something like that the way NAPA does.
>>
>>14605714
Well apparently your apartment has at least one tool in it.
>>
>>14605799
Doesn't matter if that's what it's coded for.
>>
>>14606091
>>
>>14605723
wtf is this video? 6 minutes in and nothing of value has been demonstrated. is there a fucking point?

jesus. i hate these fuckers
>youre only going in for an oil change, and nothing else. the car needs nothing else.
fuck right off. like you cunts never had to upsell shit before.
each one of those cars has like 10k miles on them? they are not past any required mantenance? fuck right off
>>
>>14606155
Maybe you should watch the video before you open your stupid mouth.

With several customers they didn't even change the oil that they paid for. They also told them that their power steering fluid needed to be changed even though it was literally changed a few hours before going into the shop.

Fuck off retard,
>>
File: pepe gibson.jpg (48KB, 458x390px) Image search: [Google]
pepe gibson.jpg
48KB, 458x390px
>>14606155

How about you skip ahead a few minutes or watch the whole thing you dumb nigger.

They were defrauding customers by not performing service, lying about what service needed to be performed, and doing improper service on vehicles. They got commission for lying to customers and upselling them on horseshit maintenance. They wouldn't even present factual reasoning, they said stupid shit like "your power steering fluid smells burnt, that means it needs changing!"

The owner was encouraging this and knowingly defrauding customers. Not only that, but he was employing unqualified people who had never even worked on cars and didn't know how to do a simple oil change.

Fucking dumb cunt watch the video or shut your cunt mouth.
>>
Under $100 an hour for a decent BMW shop is actually a pretty good deal. Most shops out there don't charge less than an hour of labor for any job unless it's incredibly simple routine work. (Oil changes, tires, etc.)

An hour seems about right for the job too, including getting the car on and off the lift, paperwork, giving the diff enough time to drain, etc. I haven't done a BMW diff in a while, but as I recall it can sometimes require a surprising amount of bullshit too, like having to disconnect other shit to make room to get the plug out.
>>
>>14605714
>98 dollars an hour

>BMWcucks think this is okay

Listen to Scotty Kilmer niggers
>>
>>14605714
$98 for manny tranny and diff fluid change is a good price.
the purp isnt a good fluid for every car.
>>
>>14605799

They charge by the hour, not the minute. So if the job takes less than an hour, they'll still charge you for the whole hour. Pretty much all shops charge this way.
>>
>>14606655

Lots of shops charge for 1/2 and 3/4 hour rates too dingus. I've been billed for 0.75 of an hour on a brake service.

Only a shop run by kikes would jack it up to the full hour.
>>
>>14606585

$98 for labour, not fluids

BMW probably uses some space age rocket fluid that costs $40 an ounce
>>
Just thought about this, why not find some high quality fluid you'd like to use, they'll likely put it in for you. 9/10 if you are cool to shop guys they'll help you out.

I replaced my suspension with Eibach suspension and when I went to my local shop to get an alignment, he was complimenting the car on the choice of parts etc. and ended up giving me a family discount after bullshitting with him for a while about cars.

It's about who you know or who you blow anon.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.