[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Uneven rotor wear

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_20160306_001917.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160306_001917.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Just installed new pads and rotors and drove around the neighborhood to test them. They stop great but the rotor is only be worn on the Inside. This normal to break it in or should I freak out?
>>
>>14589200
as long as it doesnt shudder dont worry about it.

Should have got grooved/drilled rotors
>>
>>14589200
clean then lube up your caliper guide pins
that will help
>>
>>14589252
Does crack and brembo blanks are just as good. Why wouldn't I worry about this? What do you mean shudder?
>>
>>14589200
also wash your wheels
>>
>>14589267
Should I worry about the damage ?
>>
>>14589200
Did you fucking paint your wheels without removing the balancing weights?
>>
>>14590288
>removing the balancing weights before painting the wheels

that would imply OP has access to a tire balancing machine. why would you NOT just paint over them
>>
>>14590292
You'll have to rebalance them lol
Or remove, paint, rebalance and get stick on weights
>>
>>14590297
>thinks the spray paint is going to throw the wheel out of balance

nigga, what? this is completely retarded.
>>
>>14590292
You literally only need a flat driver or a pair of pliers to remove those, and a small hammer to put them where they were.

Next time he is going to replace tires, that weight will be somewhere else on the wheel and he will have a nice balancing-weight-shaped grey spot to remind him how stupid he was, which will need to be painted again
>>
>>14590292
You don't need a balancing machine to remove a weight and to put it back exactly in the same spot
>>
>>14590299
You misinterpreted
I am saying in due time you will have to rebalance and remove that weight and then itll look super shit
>>
>>14590300
>Next time he is going to replace tires, that weight will be somewhere else on the wheel and he will have a nice balancing-weight-shaped grey spot to remind him how stupid he was,

>being this autistic

or you know, he'd have a lead weight standing out on the white wheel like a cumstain on your sweatpants
>>
>>14590308
He needs to paint both the weight and the wheel you fucking mouthbreather
>>
>>14590304
>itll look super shit

yeah, not like OP's extended neo-chrome tuner lugs and missing centercaps

>at least they're not multi-lug
>>
>>14590308
Or, you know, he can get the adhesive weights like everyone else on alloy wheels instead of those cancers that clamp on the outside rim
>>
>>14590310
/o/
>fumble around in garage for 20min looking for a claw tool
>instead end up finding old screwdriver
>pry old wheel weight off, mangled up and scratching the wheel
>painstakingly tape-off tire because muh overspray
>prep wheel surface
>paint wheel
>separately, paint wheel weight
>wait for it to dry
>carefully reattach wheel-weight in the spot that you PAINTED OVER
>extremely cautious, because freshly painted surface
>use a hammer to reattach your old mangled balancing weight
>ends up scratching the painted wheel surface
>start all over
>post about it on /o/

or what a normal (non autistic) person would do

>tape off tire
>clean wheel
>spray
>>
>>14590327
I know that you never even tried to remove a balancing weight just for the fact that you think the weight itself can be damaged in the process.

Stop posting please.
>>
>>14590327
Or do what any non-lazy idiot should do

>take clean wheel
>remove all weights
>paint the whole wheel properly
>scrap the fucking weights
>wait for it to dry properly
>have the wheel balanced with adhesive weights
>never have to worry about chipping and respraying ever again

Or, if you are dead set on wanting external weights

>take wheel
>remove all weights
>paint the whole wheel properly
>paint the weights properly
>leave everything to dry properly
>put the weights back where they were
>no damage to the paint because you were not too much of an idiot that doesn't wait for it to dry
>never have to worry about painting the wheel ever again
>paint weights when you get new one
>>
>painting your shitty alloy wheels
>not just buying white wheels to begin with

Do you suffer from autism?
>>
>>14590327
>take weight off
>tape tire
>spray weight area
>end

Or

>fumble in your garage to find some paper tape
>instead find insulating tape
>painstakingly tape the tire and already painted wheel surface
>find some good white paint and clearcoat
>find some white wood paint instead
>spray the thing
>remove tape with fresh paint
>leave fingerprints on paint
>discover that paint leaked under the tape because tape was shit
>end up with visible overspray, fingerprints and glue residues
>shamefully post on /o/

See? I can play the "I tell a story with a grossly exaggerated negative outcome so my other story seems more legit" game too!
>>
>>14590327
are you literally retarded?
>>
Clean the caliper where the pads slide they should fit easilly and remove and grease the slider pins .... those are the metal things with the rubber accordian things on them on the back of the caliper strap
>>
or you could put a mark where the weight was before removing for painting

or you could ask your wheel alignment shop to put weights on inside of the wheel.... hmmm
>>
File: 2016-03-06 09.15.59.jpg (2MB, 1590x2829px) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-06 09.15.59.jpg
2MB, 1590x2829px
>>14589200
Your fully-floating caliper no linger fully-floats, in fact it sounds like it doesn't float at all. Grease your caliper pins and replace the rubber boots. They should slide in and out easily by hand.

Pic related, I'm doing the same thing, or will be when I can get this lower caliper bolt out.
>>
>>14590919
Just did this and still no difference. Do I need to break them in more?
>>
>>14591965
>break them in
What do you mean by this?
>>
>>14591965

If all is proper they should wear on both sides at once but if you only took a drive through the neighbourhood maybe you should try putting some more miles on it and see if it starts wearing on both sides.
>>
>>14591997
you think?
could that damage them'?
do ineed to bed them?>>14591992
>>
>>14592043

Not for just some miles, it's no problems, if you wear down a whole pad on one side while the other stays unused it's a bit unfortunate but you're not going to do that any time soon. Do a few miles with some heavy braking and have a look again.
>>
>>14592099
its the rotor thats being weared uneven
>>
>>14589200
You bled them, right?
>>
>>14592207
>bleeding calipers for a rotor change
>>
>>14592207
no shouild i?
>>
>>14591997
>>14591997
>>14591997
ok so i did this
and my left rotor and pads looking normal and full rotor wear
but my right rrotor isnt the same and is far from identical wear wise
>>
>>14592268

Sorry, been out for a bit. Can't think of much tho, if the slide pins really are lubed, polished and the caliper is sliding nicely back and forth it shouldn't be much of a problem. If you have calipers with two pistons and one of them is moving roughly maybe you'd see uneven wear too.
>>
>>14592252
no, that guy is an idiot. you only need to bleed the brakes if you opened the system
>>
File: IMG_20160306_172037.jpg (3MB, 2992x4000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160306_172037.jpg
3MB, 2992x4000px
Is this normal now? Seems a inxh if the center is uneven
>>
>>14593409

Can't see anything abnormal, that slightly whiter line and the burn marks are very normal, haven't even worn itself down to a blank state yet.
>>
>>14593635
But this is only on one side and not the other?
>>
>>14593635
UHH
HELP
>>
>>14593751
>>14595669

kek, sorry, been sleeping

If you're really worried about this, maybe you could do a brake test, dunno where you are but if you have places that test the roadworthyness of cars there, just go there and get brake values, maybe you have different scales there but if they differ more than 0.5 maybe something is up. Maybe that caliper needs conditioning or a renovation, abs valve unit wee bit clogged, some tiny block in the fluid. Eventho the brakes seem to keep clear maybe that stuff can have a slight effect. So yea, test them, many workshops can probably do it too, it's just a couple of rolls they drive up on..
>>
>>14596317

Adding another thing I've heard of but never experienced myself, Some cars require clamping the brake hose to some degree before pushing back the caliper piston (they even sell special tools for this) so that tiny debris, eventual rust flakes etc. that may have formed inside the caliper doesn't get pushed back into the system, especially if one has ABS, as it may get into the valve block. Normally you'd probably not have any brakes at all on one side if this happened tho.
>>
>>14593409
Your brakes are fine retard stop worrying about it.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.