[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Toyobaru vs Fiesta ST

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 6

File: 86.jpg (61KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
86.jpg
61KB, 620x413px
Which is the better buy? I'd like to hear from people who actually have some experience driving either of these, not just shit-posting faggots.

To be clear, I'm asking this question with the assumption that it would be my only car.

Toyobaru worries
>practicality as a DD (storage, snow driving..)
>lack of torque

FiST worries
>long-term reliability
>overall driving feel compared to ^^^
>>
Bump for interest. I have a VW Golf, and these are two cars I have much interest in for my next car
>>
>305 replies and 134 images omitted
>>
>>14561744
Which would make you feel better when you look outside from your window to see it parked near your house and say this is mine?
>>
>>14561776
Honestly, I really like the low sports car profile of the Toyobaru. They definitely look better in person than in pictures. BUT.. it's not like I think the ST looks "bad". Just different.

The Toyobaru seems like it's more of an obvious sports car, while the FiST is more of a sleeper. I don't think that casuals look at it and expect it to be quick.
>>
>>14561828
>They definitely look better in person than in pictures
First time I saw one on the road it surprised me how small and low they are. I bet doing 75-80 on the highway feels fast.
>>
>>14561759
and half of that is "lol FF cucks" and "lol slower than a minivan"
>>
>>14561884
I think the BRZ and FiST have pretty similar 0-60 times. However, the boost on the Fiesta gives you the sensation of accelerating faster. Neither cars are "fast". Just something to consider.
>>
>>14561884
both valid arguments, though I hear the ST handles itself very well for an FF and has a tendency to oversteer to bring the ass around
>>
>>14561744
Fiesta ST can easily be turned into a little monster with simple Cobb tunes.
>>
>>14561989
the fastest 1/4 i've seen for a FiST was low 12's with a bigger turbo and stage 3 cobb
>>
>>14562017
Bad driver then, also consider there aren't many people doing this in the first place, and fewer still who are doing it to drag it.

The FiST is in no means a straight line car. It can take nearly a full lateral G at acceleration (0.98), which is the exact same stat as a 2015 WRX with based AWD.
>>
>>14562017

Which is honestly about as crazy as you really want to get for a lightweight street-able FF car. If you push much further you're talking about going wide-body with fat wheels/wires, and suspension modifications to mitigate weight transfer problems. Problem with FF cars and quarter-mile type runs is that much of the weight shifts to the back and off the axle that desperately needs more downforce for maximum traction when you are under heavy acceleration.

The other route is weight reduction and throwing out everything besides the front driver seat and the steering wheel, but that's not very usable either.
>>
>>14562043
>also consider there aren't many people doing this in the first place, and fewer still who are doing it to drag it
This. No one buys a FiST or BRZ to drag race it.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>14561744
I Very heavily cross shopped the BRZ and the FiST for about 8 months, I was set on one of those two being my next car and what would replace my 2006 s2000.

In those 8 months, I test drove both cars multiple times in a multitude of different situations. When all was said and done, I settled on the FiST and I'll tell you why:

The BRZ felt like a de-tuned S2000, more gentle suspension, but strangely less grip, and a launch that was even slower than my naturally aspirated s2k.

The FiST shined in all of these categories. Amazing launch and great acceleration without too much of the dreaded "torque steer." A strangely right suspension for a little econobox, and the insane cornering ability this thing has. Seriously, go out and try to lose grip in one, then be amazed as the outside wheel vectors you in from the apex. Truly a crazy little car.

That said, I'll be selling it to get a Focus RS the second they stop being absurdly overpriced.
>>
>>14561744
>Focus ST will always look like a spoiled teenage girl's car until someone notices the "ST" badge
>Toyubaru will always have people trying to stoplight race you and thinking you vape

Choose your adventure
>>
>>14562043

Definitely. Once you start getting past the 300-350ft/lbs, you will have a hilariously hard time trying to keep your wheels from spinning all over the place - especially since the Fiesta ST does not come with an LSD from the factory.
>>
>>14562082
>spot on

Also, to anyone wondering which they should get, the FiST would totally win in a stop light race
>>
>>14562082
This is kind of my thoughts. Casuals will overestimate how fast the Toyobaru is, and underestimate the ST. FiST might be good if you want to have fun but keep a lower profile.
>>
>>14562081

There's a reason the Fiesta is so popular in rally, and the Focus isn't. You don't need that big of a car if you are into fun and cornering.
>>
>>14562099
I think they're both pretty similar, so it could come down to the drivers. I will say that the FiST will feel faster though because of the boost.
>>
>>14562082
>will always look like a spoiled teenage girl's car
I think there are certain colors you can choose to make it look less... spunky.
>black
>grey
>white

That blue they have isn't bad either.
>>
>>14562082
focus doesn't really give off the spoiled teen girl vibe as much as a v6 mustang vert. but I agree most people don't even notice it's an ST.

I see so many 86s driving around that most of the time it's just some young dude who wanted a nice looking car.
>>
>>14562198
>most people don't even notice it's an ST
I can confirm this. Got out of class and was following a Fiesta off the campus. Required some squinting to catch that badge and realize it was an ST. First one I ever saw on the road actually.
>>
I really wish they did the ST in a 5door here in the uk.
>>
>>14562242
Trade? :-)
>>
>>14561744
For the price of a new Toyobaru, I'd much rather have a GTI. Might have some reliability issues down the road, but it's a far nicer car. Way more for your money.
>>
>>14561744
Neither. E39 5 series
>>
File: instantfiesta.jpg (63KB, 671x678px) Image search: [Google]
instantfiesta.jpg
63KB, 671x678px
>>14562017
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/5148-Idaho-Sleeper-Build?s=138777ee28c323b2a11cb131f2e1e33c

Dude is running in the 11s already, pretty impressive.

>>14562084
I'm pretty close to 300tq on an e30 tune and you definitely need a decent set of tires to hold traction. BFG Comp-2 A/S are working great for me so far.

>>14561744
I went with the Fiesta as a lot of posters did, no regrets. Some simple, relatively cheap mods gave me the gains (vdyno, so grain of salt) in the chart. I should log again/go to a real dyno now that I have new wheels.

The only "power mods" are a Cobb intake, MAP intercooler and cat back exhaust, and a custom tune. I think I'll wear the stock turbo out much sooner than otherwise, but there's so much aftermarket turbo support for these cars that I'll replace it with a bigger one eventually. Altogether, they cost around ~$2000.

Stock fuel system handles 300whp/300+tq pretty well, some people are running upwards of 375whp on water/meth and a big turbo without issue. That's only if you want to take it to the limit though.

Happy to answer any questions you may have about it, it's been perfectly reliable for me.
>>
File: IMG_20160210_125328~2.jpg (3MB, 3731x2788px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160210_125328~2.jpg
3MB, 3731x2788px
>>14562394
Current power mods cost a little less than ~$2k, after market turbo prices vary pretty heavily. My wording was confusing.
>>
File: 1267569113531.jpg (44KB, 814x500px) Image search: [Google]
1267569113531.jpg
44KB, 814x500px
>>14561744
You can't really compare the two, the ST is more of a sporty commuter, while the FRZ is a sporty toy. There is a reason the Fiesta was FWD and the toyobaru RWD
>>
>>14562428
>referring to a legitimate performance hatch as a "sporty commuter"...
If the ST is a sporty commuter, then what is Mazda 3, Hyundai Veloster etc?
>>
>>14562466
>what is Mazda 3, Hyundai Veloster etc?
shit
>>
>>14562331
Not looking for used.
>triggers flood of hate from poorfags
>>
>>14562504
Then enjoy your shitboxes.
>>
>>14562534
Enjoy your sloppy seconds
>>
>>14562466
>Mazda 3, Hyundai Veloster
total shit, not even a question
>>
>>14562394
>Happy to answer any questions you may have about it
I will be test driving, but how is the shifting and clutch feel? Satisfying?
>>
>>14562609
What exactly is "total shit" about Mazda 3? I'd like to know what your standards for a good car are.
>>
>>14562634
not him but it's uglier than ever
>>
>>14562662
Well that's subjective. I'd argue that a majority of people like the new look. Especially in comparison to that horrendous previous generation.
>>
>>14562675
the "new look" is that of an Altima
>>
>>14561744
I own a BRZ, its fine so long as you don't have to carry too much or bring a long more than 1 passenger. As for torque worries, get a supercharger kit. Get it in manual too, you'll probably get a better deal than autotragic.
>>
>>14562417
All that speed and the car still looks like shit with a shit driving position

It literally looks gay

Like gayer than a gti
>>
>>14562684
Uhh... What?!
>>
>>14562541
Used =/= sloppy. Especially if you get a good one.
>>
America > Japan

But get a 'Stang so people don't think you're a queer
>>
>>14562722
Used will always be sloppy because someone else
>farted in it
>sneezed in it
>wiped their boogers in it
>sweated in it
>fucked in it

People are disgusting. Enjoy your petri dish.
>>
>>14562699
>BRZ...
>barely faster than a Jeep Wrangler
>calls other cars gay
>>
>>14562749
Who gives a shit about that?
>>
>>14562787
People who don't lay around in their own feces
>>
>>14562787
New cars wouldn't sell if people didn't value a "fresh" vehicle. So I'd say quite a lot of people care.
>>
>>14562295
Hmm see I was wondering about this. I have a Golf and have been drooling over GTIs since high school. Especially since the mk7s look awesome
>>
>>14562394
Why bother making that much power in a rattly fwd piece of shit?
>>
>>14562111
Nah, I'm by no means an amazing driver and I dust them from lights any time they feel like hotshots. I cannot count the number of times I've been revved at from toyabaru drivers in pole position at a red light.
>>
>>14562826
*tip fedora*
>>
>>14562816
BRZ and FiST interiors don't even come close to GTI quality. If you want a nice blend of fun and refinement, go GTI. FiST is a compelling option though if you're on a budget.
>>
>>14562833
I think Toyobarus probably take more skill to get the most out of its power. Part of the reason I prefer FiST.
>>
>>14562826
Funny thing is I like the FiST, but agree with this. Turning a Fiesta ST into a drag rocket is a waste of money. Just do some simple Cobb tunes and enjoy zipping around town.
>>
>>14562417
Do the brakes fade like a bitch? They look too pathetically small to be charged with braking a car weighing over 1200 kilos.
>>
>>14562965
Fiesta STs tend to be a little rough on their brakes and shed dust like crazy. I use a non-static no oil cleaner on my wheels and it keeps them clean for MAYBE two weeks.

Stopping power has never really been Ford's strength, but that said this little FiST stops pretty damn quickly when you really tell it to
>>
>>14561874
As someone who drives one, it does. Probably helps its a manual and the engine seems loud as fuck for something that's not very powerful.
>>
>>14561744
People can brag all they want about
>muh rwd turning
>muh seating position
but fact is that Toyobaru is is slow as shit when you're not flogging it like Frederick Douglas

FiST actually has usable power in daily driving situations and still handles very well.
>>
>>14562965
If you ride the brakes hard they fade, that said they are some of the best from-factory brakes I've felt, with a 60-0 distance of around 108ft. I think a couple of vendors have developed brake ducting though, and there are plenty of big brake kits.

>>14562892
Yeah, I don't want to go past what I've done before the turbo wears out. I will go medium turbo for that juicy, slightly more traditional power curve.

>>14562826
No idea, but people have done it to mazdaspeed3s and focus st's and civics and plenty of other cars, it's not the best dragster but it could make a fun sleeper for some people.

>>14562699
Thanks m8.
>>
>>14562699
>shit driving position
BRZ seat makes it easier for you to receive road head from your male lover. Fair enough. I'm supportive of you people.
>>
>>14562613
Shifting is ever so notchy, but smooth as hell. Would recommend a shift reduction plate as an easy first mod. The clutch is also excellent, it took me no time to get used to driving the car, I've never missed a shift.

Would also recommend testing the Recaros, they break in significantly but are pretty tight at first.
>>
>>14563164
>Recaros
Are the base seats still pretty decent?
>>
>>14563182
Alot of people choose the base seats, a few later regret it, I wouldn't of bought the car without the Recaros. My girlfriend wasn't too pleased at first, but the seats are way, way better a year in.

The base seats just reminded me too much of the Fiesta's economy roots unfortunately.
>>
>>14563182
base are fine for daily use, however if you do decide to get hektik it's a lot more noticeable. still not the worst stock seats, and ford has really adjustable seats.
>>
>>14561744
I have the st beat the shit out of toyoburus around buttonwillow last time i went
>>
File: T5RDesign.jpg (703KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
T5RDesign.jpg
703KB, 1600x900px
Neither.
>>
>>14563781
Is that even available in the U.S.?
>>
>>14563798
If you import it. :^)
>>
I remember we used to have some sort of Volvo hatch that looked interesting, but don't think it came in manual. Dealbreaker.
>>
I thought to myself "I'm young, I don't need much room for a daily. I'll buy a coupe with '''''backseats'''''''' for myself, it will be fine."
I'm annoyed most of the time at how little I can carry, can't drive more than one friend without bitching about size of backseat, trunk is aigt but even bringing IKEA furniture home is a pain in the ass.
Daily something with some room, anon. FiST is fun, has space, and is reasonably comfy. Use the extra money you save over buying a toyobaru and buy a cheap miata or just making your ST even nicer to be in.
>>
>>14561744

I live in Canada and drive my FRS all winter. Good snow tires and some weight in the trunk is all you need. It has a good amount of storage since the back seats are mainly used for that. Also the trunk is decent for a small car.
>>
OP here. I think I'm leaning towards the FiST now, but will still test drive both.
>>
>>14565084
As a current owner of an FRS, I'm currently looking to trade in for a Focus ST soon. The sporty light rwd coupe thing is cool. But after three years I'm tired of having to crawl into such a low car (I'm tall) and tired of not being able to carry more than a duffle bag of two, and not being able to comfortably seat more than two.

I've test driven a FocuST twice now. Once last summer and once this past week. I'm definitely ready to move on to the comfort, power, and overall appeal of the car.

Figured I'd give my two cents as someone currently in a twin and looking to get out and into the same family of the car you're looking at.
>>
>>14566419
Or two*
>>
>>14562965
I warped them on my track day definitely need good pads and rotors
>>
>>14561744
>assumption that it would be my only car
Here's the easy answer. Toyobaru is a toy. Go with the FiST or you'll be sorry.
>>
>>14562081
The amount of enthusiasts that are holding out for the RS and the GT350 to lose their hilarious markup is growing daily.

I too am waiting patiently.
>>
How come it's always the Fiesta ST and nobody ever looks at the Focus ST?

Genuine question. Is it because of the price? Because with the Toybaru in the mix, the price range covers the Focus ST as well. I get that they aren't as nimble but they aren't barges either.
>>
>>14567477
The general consensus is that FiST and FoST are both great cars, but FiST is a bit more fun to drive. I definitely would not describe Focus ST as a land barge. They handle great.
>>
>>14567477
I also think the FiST is more comparable to Toyobaru in terms of size and power.
>>
>>14567477
I've heard a few people describe the FiST as a sports car and the FoST as a muscle car, albeit both FWD.
>>
>>14567477
Focus is a bit bigger and heavier.
>>
>>14567521
>people describe the FiST as a sports car and the FoST as a muscle car
inb4 someone takes this literally...
>>
>>14567538
That's an understatement. I would say much larger than the Toyobaru.
>>
>>14567477
I think basically everyone who was looking at a Focus ST found a rave review of the Fiesta along the way and figured they'd try both.
>>
>>14562082
>implying the whaleshark front grille on ST cars doesn't instantly differentiate them
>>
>>14567804
Everyone I know who drove both ended up with a FiST.

Everyone I know with a FoST uses it as their DD and chose it for practicality over performance.

I would never buy and track a FoST, but I can wholeheartedly recommend tracking a FiST if it's your second car (which it should be if you have more than 1 passenger, also no baby seat with Recaros).
>>
>>14561744
I've had my Fiesta ST for 2 weeks now. It's an incredible car. It can shift when you want it to, and its so easy to drive. The ride is a bit harsh, but then again UK roads are shit so what can you do.

I do regret not testing a GT86/BRZ, but the price was a factor in not going after one.

The best thing for you, OP, is to test drive both. Whichever one you feel best with, buy it.
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.