[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Spoilers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9

File: mitsubishi-3000gt12.jpg (52KB, 575x431px) Image search: [Google]
mitsubishi-3000gt12.jpg
52KB, 575x431px
What width should a spoiler be? The car I'm getting(pic related) is 72.4 in, and most universal spoilers are like 57 in. This seems way to thin, but I've never been a ricer before, so maybe I'm just being dumb.

>inb4 ricer faggot

What? They look cool!
>>
File: hJlwSUp.png (372KB, 680x456px) Image search: [Google]
hJlwSUp.png
372KB, 680x456px
>>14557308
>>
>>14557319
I'm sorry, it's not bait I just wanted to ask a question. Sometimes I think i seem sarcastic but I'm too retarded to talk better.
>>
>>14557308
It varies from car to car, if there's a 3000gt forums or a Mitsubishi car forums I'd ask there. I'd also advise against buying a 3000gt, unless you have fucking mad stacks.
>>
>>14559428
>mfw i found out these are FWD in the USA

what the fuck? why? initially i thoguht all of them were FWD but it turns out only the american ones are.

Also OP: fix the cooling issues first if its an early gen.
>>
>>14559447
It was the base model and SL. The VR-4 was 4WD.
>>
>>14559447
vr4 was awd. others were not.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1453783317582.jpg (84KB, 1137x640px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1453783317582.jpg
84KB, 1137x640px
enjoy the pain.

they are a bitch to work on. can be fun though.
>>
Han solo dies
>>
OP, start reading up about Diamond Star Motors, the reason Dodge and Mitsubishi survived the '80's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond-Star_Motors

Second, the 3000GT (GTO) is a fucking toboggan, the VR-4 even more so, and is also a mechanical menace. the single and twin cam 3.0 had notorious oil consumption and coolant issues.

http://www.frankpearson.com/3000gt/specs.html

If you are getting the VR-4, pull the tranny and sell it on ebay, scrap the car. The car itself just isn't worth the headache.
>>
I forgot to mention the reason Mitsubishi built the car in the first place so maybe it will help deter you from making a horrible purchase. It wasn't actually meant for mass production, the GTO was built to showcase Mitsubishi technology; Twin Turbo, All Wheel Drive, so had All Wheel Steering, Tranction Control handled by the on board computer (OBD I and II!!) and the six speed. It looked amazing on paper. The test models were nice track cars and a production contract was made. After adding AC, radios, power every-goddamn thing, and suspension tweaks that allowed the spine and kidneys to survive day to day driving, the car became a hippopotamic nightmare. tipping the scales at nearly 3,800 pounds, the majority of the weight out front. This makes for an understeering horror that loves to kiss trees in the rain.

http://www.3si.org/forum/f35/weight-distribution-110408/
>>
File: wing-99-c7-05-600.jpg (94KB, 600x374px) Image search: [Google]
wing-99-c7-05-600.jpg
94KB, 600x374px
>>14557308
>>
File: 20140516_200000.jpg (963KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20140516_200000.jpg
963KB, 2560x1920px
>>14557308
Bruh
>>
>>14559648
Don't listen to this idiot.
>>
>>14560921
It just dawned on me that his pictures look like a frosted window
>>
File: So you wanna buy a GTO.jpg (138KB, 1667x529px) Image search: [Google]
So you wanna buy a GTO.jpg
138KB, 1667x529px
>>14557308
>>
>>14560929
Interesting response which inclines me to ask your experience with them? As a dealer myself I learned quickly to avoid these particular unicorns myself as they always came back to the lots. I'm not saying they aren't fun cars, they are and I was a bit of a DSM fanboy in my 20's and early 30's, but learned my lesson quickly with the 3000GT
>>
>>14560933
>dubs of truth
/thread
>>
>>14561061
>ask your experience with them?
Owning 5 of them, including 1 I bought brand new. The only actual issue with them was that they eventually wound up with poor people and then those poor people ruined them. They're also not DSMs, which pretty much shows what you know.
>>
>>14561175
Partially correct. A 'True' Normal Illinois built car is a DSM Talon, Laser, Eclipse, but Diamond star was thrid party to shipping prior to Dodge/Mitsubishi taking over of the 3000gt/Stealth and Galant VR4. Not true DSM's as they weren't built here, correct, but the titles in the US were through Diamond Star. As you've owned them, check yourself. Question, why have you gone through so many...? hmmm.
>>
Back to point, OP they're a fun car but not the most reliable and cost is an issue with maintaining an older car. They were not showcased on track for a reason and you don't see them every day for a reason. It was a gambit played by Mitsubishi in Japan first and then brought to American market because its appeal as a straight line V8 killer was rather potent.
>>
>>14559620
Quality post
>>
>>14557308
>universal spoilers
>>
>>14561175
I've owned three Eclipses;
A 1996 RS was first and I am ashamed to say I purchased it. It was a good starting point though. A 1997 GSX which was claimed by crank walk. The 1997 was also my 'third' as we rebuilt her with an older 6 bolt with a 4G64 crank and a lot of trial an error. It was my second favorite car but I really pushed that tiny T25 and the turbine broke out of the hosing. Sold it 'as-is' and have regretted it ever since.
>>
File: pikespeak 3000gt.jpg (38KB, 591x750px) Image search: [Google]
pikespeak 3000gt.jpg
38KB, 591x750px
>>14561233
About 90% of the production ended up in the US.
Admittedly, they're not a great track car but they where raced and set some Pikes Peak records back in the mid 90s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxOJpTG9qg4
>>
File: dagumi.png (413KB, 637x461px) Image search: [Google]
dagumi.png
413KB, 637x461px
>>14557308
>>14559954
>>
>>14561295
I've read about that some time back. In my SCCA days I saw a Street Mod SL that was pretty impeccable but the guy had thrown wades of cash into it. A lot if it's times had to be attributed to the drive too, but he had done amazing things with the car.
>>
Now that I'm brushing off the cob webs, that SL was the only GTO I'd ever seen out. Usually we were inundated in Miatas.
>>
File: 1997 GTO-MR Jun2015.jpg (547KB, 2048x1366px) Image search: [Google]
1997 GTO-MR Jun2015.jpg
547KB, 2048x1366px
>>14561355
I never bought mine really as a track car, (had Skylines to do that with) but its been a solid old GT car for the 9 or so years I've had it.
Putting it into perspective I spent about $2-2500k on various spares over the years for stuff that wore out/died of old age and the maintenance, friends 96 Ferrari has had about 34-36k dumped into it over the same time just keeping it on the road.
>>
>>14561403
I had taken a partial interest in one, a VR-4, a number of years back, and the current owner let me take it for a spin as we knew each other. I learned two things quickly, it accelerated faster than anything I'd driven that was factory, and the understeer rivaled my GSX. I will say that I've seen few WELL maintained GTO's and that does make me bias to them, but I stand by my toboggan statement. lol
>>
>>14561403
Very clean, by the way. How much have you done with her? I am also realizing why we have conflicting opinions if that is your car...you invested a lot of time there.
>>
>>14561424
They're a higher-end of the maintenance spectrum kind of car, so if you treat them the same as a Camry they'll eventually die (Camry doesn't lay down 12.2 1/4mile times either!), but they're not in the inordinately ridiculous spectrum either like a lot of the Euro cars seem to be. In comparing them to other 90's jap cars I've owned, they're really not any more expensive than a heavily modified S13 Silvia or R34 GTT to keep on the road and in good condition, but strangely to many, the GTO was a lot less to maintain than my old FD RX7 or R32GTR was.

US got fairly much all of the lighter Z15A chassis too, so I'm sort of surprised in a way that they've not modified a lot of them to the AWD/TT setup from the Stealth VR4s (which use a heavier Z16A chassis) and shaved off about 70-80kg that total vehicle mass.
Could be a fun project for someone out there to do one day.
>>
>>14561431
Not really that much time, its lightly modified compared to some cars I've owned and could really use a set of slightly bigger turbos to breath in at the upper end of the rev range and I'd also look at a bigger fuel pump and injectors by that stage as well.
Current ones tend to run out of huff around 6000rpm

Main thing is that its got a lot of torque (475Nm @ 4000rpm), its not 'that' heavy (1470kg) and its got a lot of grip, so the fat bitch will hustle if you kick the right foot into it.
>>
>>14561490
God am I happy to see you mention the chassis difference! The VR-4 wasn't a prevalent seller here, not near the SL, and of course the market was saturated with alternatives during the time. In comes the 'True' DSM. A popular but costly configuration is to stuff the 6G72 into them. I'd honestly made the consideration until I read up more on the reliability issues with doing so. Ran very, very hot.
>>
>>14561511
I'm assuming yours isn't an American model? The VR-4 package her came in at a whooping 1,678kg, and power was dialed back.

http://www.cjbyron.com/3000gtspecifications.htm

Just found this. ^ During the '80's and partially into the 1990's the American government attacked Japanese auto manufacturers with everything from emissions control to safety devices. Most American models are porkers with dialed back engine power compared to their 'foreign' counterparts. Hence so much dialog stating that the Supra, GTO, and other 90's cars had 276 horsepower (when really they produced more).
>>
>>14561579
Its an MR spec from Japan, they only built a few hundred for homologation

The Japanese 'gentleman's agreement' was that done by all major manufacturers to only advertise their cars to about 216kw (280hp or so) and avoid hassle from the JP Gov for marketing hoon-baby killers.
REALITY is that fairly much all of them where around the 300-350hp mark and some like the really tooled up Skylines where about 400+

By about 2002-3 from memory no one gave a fuck and just did whatever the hell they wanted in advertising. But its kind of funny to see stuff like Supras, GTR's and NSX's with 280hp on their advertising because it was really all bullshit. But it was kind of this hive-mind bullshit you probably couldn't really do in the west. Japs are pretty weird though
>>
>>14561623
It was an interesting time to live through. I still recall commercials blatantly slandering Japanese vehicles for their 'Thin sheet metal' and 'Tiny motor'. Then the limitation of importation, high taxation, and the move Japanese manufacturers made to build plants here. Hence Normal, Illinios, as Mitsubishi didn't have the capital to make the move.
>>
>>14561623
Our marketing had more to do with the government attempting to protect American interests of the time, Detroit steel and Iron, and local auto manufacturers. Hence seeing the odd bedfellows such as Dodge/Mitsubishi and the brief unions made by Toyota and Chevyrolet/Geo. Chevy also had a heavy hand with Isuzu, and secondary with Honda thru Isuzu. It was pretty wild to see all the double speak.
>>
>>14557308
Pretty sure that's a wing anon.
>>
>>14561658
American car industry has always been very heavily protected, as has the JP one for that matter too. In the 70's and 80s with the fuel crisis, Detroit taking huge hits and lay-offs you'd probably get stabbed for driving a Datsun.
I still find it curious that old Japanese car brands literally had to re-brand themselves- Lexus, Acura, Infiniti etc, just to sell cars. Which I always though odd, because Toyota, Honda and Nissan (Plus Mazda and Mitsu) actually have a really good to great reputation throughout the rest of the world, they where literally the cars that came over here (Australia) and made the local brands pick their game up, make reliable shitboxes and drop prices.

I was always more into the 90s cars, though I've owned a few from the 70s as well as that's really what I grew up watching races on TV
>>
>>14561729
The industry here is overprotective and malicious.I deal almost not at all with American cars because of the negativity so associated with them and the aggressive opinions that come with it. The big three war has allowed other manufacturers to slip in and produce a superior product right here while they move more and more over seas. It's a laughable turn of events.
>>
I take my leave Aussie, it's time to start cooking dinner soon and I've yet to accomplish any of my days goals. Been good to chat and learn.

OP, sorry for hijacking your post and leave the bloody spoiler alone IF you buy the sled.
>>
>>14561330
That's what he said when he was an idiot
>>
>>14561214
>Partially correct
Completely correct.
>but Diamond star was thrid party to shipping prior to Dodge/Mitsubishi taking over of the 3000gt/Stealth and Galant VR4.
This sentence is just complete nonsense, but I think what you were trying to say is that Diamond Star was the importer...which is incorrect. Mitsubishi Motors North America was established long before the 3000GT came about.
>Question, why have you gone through so many...? hmmm.
Nice try, faggot, but no. There were a few different types available in the US and I like cars, that's why.
>>
Obvious troll is obvious. Bought same shit car over and over...baka
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.