[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Used Car Sales General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault.jpg (90KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
90KB, 1280x720px
Alright, this is a bit of a new idea I had. I'm currently selling my car, and according to the site I'm using, I've had about 100-120 views of my car.

The thing is I've gotten no calls or messages at all in the 2 days since I've put it up.

So, with storytime over, what do you look for in a car ad /o/? What kind of pictures do you look for, what information is important to you, what grabs your attention (aside from a low price)?
>>
>>14556404
Also, just as a intro to my way of doing it, here's what I've done:
3 pictures of the exterior, 2 3/4 front views from either side, and 1 rear view
1 picture of the interior taken from the backseat
1 picture of the engine bay showing it in it's entirety.
The site I'm using allows a maximum of 5 pictures per ad so that's the best I can do.

I've listed all the options my car has, listed the mileage, shown that it is registered and has inspection up to date. I put up my cell number and house as well.

What do you think /o/?
>>
Most of the views you get as soon as you put up the ad are from dealerships or scouts who monitor CL all the time looking for a car to flip.

Just be patient mate, someone will come along.
>>
>>14556472
Yeah, I've been getting that a lot lately, although you're definitively right. The thing is I test drove a miata the other day and the guy is also selling on the same site, and I want to buy that car so much. It's super clean with 75k miles and no bullshit done to it.I'm sorta afraid he'll sell before I can though.
>>
>>14556404
As many pictures as possible
Mileage, year, transmission in the listing
Listing not written in all caps
As much information as possible in the listing, recent repairs, how long they've had it, any issues
>>
>>14556496
I neglected to mention that in my post, but I put up the year, transmission and mileage all up on the ad.

How do you feel about having certain words in caps? Like to emphasize something. Like NEW tires. Something like that. The site I'm using doesn't give you much space to make comments so you really gotta sell it within like 100 characters or so.
>>
>plenty of clear pictures of the exterior, interior, and engine bay.
>mileage
>title status
>list any problems the car may have
>>
>>14556516
Not necessary to put that in caps. But it's not that big a deal
>>
>>14556540
Ok, so one of the things it does have is it was in a low speed (3kph) crash with a pickup truck. the thing is it hit the tow hitch and that cracked the bumper, and pushed in the frame slightly. The frame itself isn't bent, but a piece of metal that sort of covers it was bent. How much would you think that matters to a potential buyer? Really I just want to get any callers and get them over to see the car, and explain the issue myself, I have no intent to hide it. It's just the issue with the character limit is a problem since I can't list everything and still have enough room to sell it a bit.
>>
Also, obviously if anyone has questions about selling their own car ask away, the idea is to get plenty of ideas going around.
>>
>>14556577
Honestly, don't mention that in the add. You can decide to tell the potential buyer when he comes to look at it, or just don't tell him unless he asks.
>>
>>14556404
Don't be this guy:
>http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/5470361638.html

And since I decided to use Craigslist as an example already, here's what I think is a good ad:
>http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/5463546451.html

Couple of exterior shots, couple of interior ones (and an extra detail I love, a pic with the odometer reading) no FUCKING LOUD CAPTIONS!!! and he gives you plenty of info, what's good and bad about the car without getting bogged down about how it's "such a good deal" and "he needs to sell fast" or any such bullshit. The only thing you could improve here would be putting in the VIN number.
>>
>>14556650
Yeah that's what I was thinking. I painted over the damage, after cleaning up and everything of course. I also tired to bend it back, but it's really hard to access it so I gave up.
Aside from generally useful things though (good plentiful pics, listing all info of the car) what other ways can you get people to call?
Also, once I meet the guy, how should I go about it? I know that meeting in a public place is a good idea, and not being a total autismo about everything also helps.
>>
>>14556699
Thanks, that's really illustrative. My main concern aside from general format for the ad is what gets people to call. I'm guessing that the #1 factor is simply interest in the car/model. Is there really anything you can do to get people calling?
>>
>>14556732
You want more calls then put yourself out there even more, don't just use one website use 3 or 4, as many as you can get into, there's phone apps where people sell their shit, get on that too.

Make a version of your add you can print so you can staple them anywhere you can near your home or work. Talk to a local business owner (Gas station for maximum effect) into letting you park your car somewhere visible on his lot. And of course, the good old-fashioned For Sale sign.
>>
I just wanna say that I hate the following:

>when dumb fucking dealership retards DONT post the mileage of the car
>when shitters cant be bothered to give you the VIN number on an expensive car (>$9000)
>when people don't want to provide you with more photos of their fucking item because "you have to come see it" or "i cant send you more just come see it"
>when they don't post photos
>when they post no photos of the interior or engine bay
>when they post 1 photo
>when the photos they post are blurry as fuck
>when they say "CASH ONLY FIRM"
>when they list their car for "$1"
>when they lie
>when they don't point out flaws of the fucking car
hello you fucking dumb fuck shit eating retard, I will eventually go SEE the car, dont waste my fucking time. seriously, one time I went to go check out a car, pics were great, all clear, but then I realized he didn't take one of the left hand of the car, so when I got there there was a huge fucking dent on the door. i got so fucking mad driving 45 min to get to this fucking shit eater who lied to me over the phone saying there was nothing "defective" about the care (well I guess he's technically, I'd just have to spend more dough repairing the fucking thing)

So all in all, don't be a fucking idiot.
So don't do any of that, OP. Good luck man!
>>
>>14556859
Yeah, I put out an ad in the national newspaper (central america, so our country is fucking tiny), along with one on some online classified sites. Most people use the first site I use cause the specialize in cars and they don't charge any commission. Thanks for the tips
>>14556954
Yeah, if people ask me for pics of a certain part I'd send it to them right away, no need to make them fucking wait, it takes like 5 minutes. One thing though, I am expecting to get paid in check or cash or bank transfer, the issue is I've heard from other people selling that many guys offer like half the price and some fucking farm animal and I'm not really looking for that, since I'm not a goddamn farmer. What should I do to deal with those kinds of people?
>>
>>14557011
>Yeah, if people ask me for pics of a certain part I'd send it to them right away, no need to make them fucking wait, it takes like 5 minutes. One thing though, I am expecting to get paid in check or cash or bank transfer, the issue is I've heard from other people selling that many guys offer like half the price and some fucking farm animal and I'm not really looking for that, since I'm not a goddamn farmer. What should I do to deal with those kinds of people?

Simply tell them no thanks. My uncle loves to offer low, really low. So low that the seller won't even want to continue talking with him. It's sort of cringeworthy to watch, but hey, some people are that desperate to sell. He's had success before.

But yeah, just tell them "no thanks" and that you have other offers lined up in the backburner to that other people have shown interest.
>>
>>14557043
>to that other people have shown interest.

or that*
>>
>>14557043
Okay, that seems reasonable, thanks. Still, I have no idea why anyone would think a guy selling a car in the city would want a fucking cow.
>>
>buy vehicle for 900
>spray paint it
>put some cheap parts it needs in it
>sold it the other day for 2600

Took plenty of clear photos, and was extremely information. Not "runs good call XXX-XXX-XXXX." list the pros, cons, what it is, what's good about it, and maybe why you're selling it. Make sure it's formatted well, too. I don't take the time to read walls of text on craigslist. A stupid seller is a stupid car owner too.

if you guys have any questions, let me know.
>>
>>14556404
>no contacts after 2 days

Patiences is your friend anon

As far as an actual ad:

-Clear pictures from all all 8 points of the carws outside
-Clear pictures of all 4 interior pictures plus dash and IC
-One clear picture of engine bay, one clear picture of trunk interior
-Clear asking price
-Mileage, title status, and location
-Any trouble areas
-Any recent maintenance/repairs
-the VIN
>>
>>14557300
Is VIN an absolute necessity? My car is clean, but in my country a lot of fraud is done with VINs so I'd rather not list it up front. We have yearly inspections so any faults on the car, and stuff like if the engine and tranny numbers match the car are available online.
Also, I know patience is key, but I'm so excited. I've hated my current shitbox since the day I got it and the other car I'm looking at made me fall in love with driving again. So yeah.
>>14557265
In term of actually dealing with the buyer in person, how did you do it? Were you upfront with the car's history? Or did you leave out some stuff?
>>
>>14557328
Here in the US, I wouldn't consider even going out to look at the car if the VIN wasn't in the ad/the owner wasn't willing to send it to me by email.

Putting it in the ad saves me from having to actual waster the seller's time and my own if the history report turns up something I don't wanna deal with

And it does take time. You might have to sit on the car for a month or two. Part of what causes causal car flippers to lose out on a lot of profit is getting too impatient and compulsively lowering the price on a car just to get people to nibble on it
>>
>>14557358
Okay, thanks. I would be willing to email it, just not post it upfront. Yeah you're probably right on the waiting thing. The other car I'm looking at was put up about a half a month before mine, so I hope he doesn't sell it before me.
>>
>>14557328
Well, I bought the truck with the intention of flipping it, but I didn't tell him that. I did disclose in the ad that it was a good platform for a project. He showed up, looked it over, and I started telling him more random tidbits about the truck, showed him it started fine with a cold engine, etc. He didn't even drive it, just wanted to hear it run. I basically told him that I was selling it because i had too many vehicles.

My step-dad was visiting, however, and happened to be there. He knows exponentially more than I do about the vehicle in question, so he had a pretty big hand in upselling everything from the cab mounts to the shocks, making it seem like the only truck on earth.
>>
>>14557410
Ok, so should I read up a lot on some of my car's features and talk it up? It's a base model Jimny, if anyone was wondering?
>>
>>14557459
Be honest though, don't lie about anything or exaggerate too much
>>
>>14556404
Best advice I can give you is be brutaly honest about every single thing that is wrong with the car in the pictures you should have
>Angled shot of the car both sides
>clear picture of engine bay
>consider picture showing colour of motor oil and tranny fluid
> interior from the back seat with a good view of stero( normies love this)
>tire tread
>proof that any major mantince (timeing belt etc) has been done

List all the options worth listing
Example

2004 Nissan xterra 95000 miles
Vg33e 220 HP super charged engine
Auto transmission
4x4 with limited slip differential
5000lb tow capacity
17 mpg (lie but that's what it is stock)
New tires with 90% tread
Nismo ray weels
1000 watt system with pioneer head (aux bluetooth 6 inch touch screen)

Mantince
Regular full synthetic oil changes
New head lights
Timeing belt, water pump ,new radiator,new spark plugs,new fuel injectors and new k&n air filter all done at 90000 (over $1000 in work)

Mods
stright axel conversion
3 inch lift
Removed nerf bars and mud flaps they will come with the car
Repainted all plastics black as they should be
Added extra subwoofer cabinet and replace the stock fosgate subwoofer with a kicker one

Problems
Gas milage
Driver window is kind of slow
The office made a meme of this car

Price goes here obo

Contact info

Just do this with your car op
>>
>>14557483
Okay, got it. Any tips on people who try to low ball you? I say this in the least $11000 OBO RAN WHEN PARKED 30 YEARS AGO way
>>
>>14557522
No I didn't type this all I print this out to all the new computer bros at the dealership who suck at makeing ads
>>
>>14557523
Be firm and start to walk away but not in a dickish way. Don't get to comphy or broish with a potential buyer or they will try to fuck you. Be polite honest and firm set your initial asking price above what you want. Also if the car runs you still have it so don't be in to much of a rush to sell it to the first guy with cash
>>
>>14557529
>>14557550
Thanks for the info! Generally how long should I wait before doing something like lowering the price on the ad? I mean like if I get no calls for a while
>>
>>14557563
After One full 31 day cycle update the ad with new pictures and milage then after 3 days if you don't get a call lower it ever so slightly 100-500 USD

Be very informative people want to buy cars from car guys
Don't give up hope it's tax season and alott of people haven't gotten there's back yet
>>
>>14557563
As long as you feel like waiting. I just sold a piece of equipment that sat in the classifieds for about 6 months without me dropping the price. Price was fair and I just shrugged off the lowballers. Eventually someone wanted the product and bought it without even haggling. If you want to sell it fast drop the price.
>>
>>14557604
Did you do anything to let people know the ad was up to date? People regularly call the dealership asking if we still have a car if the add is more then a week old
>>
>>14557523
The ad was for $3000. He asked me what my bottom dollar was, it was actually 2500 but I said 26.

I always list for more than what I actually want, as a buffer against bartering.
>>
>>14557626
At the dealership I used to work at I wrote some of our ads and our boss required us to say that the ad will be deleted when the vehicle has been sold because so many people would call about an ad that had been up for 2 weeks to see if it was still there.
>>
In person::I look only for stock 'looking' vehicles. Key things that I'll zero in on prior to purchase are the conditions of the clutch (if applicable) and brake pedals and surrounding carpeting, exhaust tip, under side of oil cap, I insist on cold start and idle. The obvious is body condition, condition of drivers seat, condition of back seat. If I discover that the drive was male and young (under 30), I will not purchase.

Ad hunting:: At LEAST 10 exterior high resolution photos, One of each corner full view, one of each side, front, and rear, full view, two top downs from front and rear of vehicle. At LEAST 4 shots of drivers position that include pedals and carpet, instrument cluster, seat, and door panel. At LEAST 3 shots of each passenger position that include seat, carpet, and door panel. At LEAST 4 under hood shots that include view from the grill down into the bay, over fender view from each side down into the bay, top down shot. 1 good full view shot of the cargo area. I inspect under carriage in person and always get the car on a lift. If the seller declines, I take my nice boots and cash elsewhere.
>>
>>14559754
In regards to the under 30 thing, what about if the car that's a slow 4x4, something that couldn't have been raced, or fucked with a lot. Would you consider it then? The thing is I'm 20 so yeah.
>>
As I sell cars for profit, I avoid any off road vehicles UNLESS there is a namesake attached (Like an old AMC or International, 1st gen Broncos, early FJ's like the 40 - 60). Age plays a HUGE part in the automobile sales world and statistically you are in a danger bracket. IT doesn't matter to a buyer if you actually did abuse the car, it's the stigma associated with that age that kills a sale.
>>
You'd help yourself to have an older relative or trusted friend to sell the vehicle, preferably male, and a fatherly type. They also need to be familiar with the vehicle. It will help improve your chances of return and adds security in the form of 'responsible' and 'knowledgeable' to the package. Again, not bashing age ( I started in my teens), but appearance and the mental labels people employ subconsciously play a huge roll in the sales world.
>>
>>14556490
Ask him about a deposit. I'm in talks to buy a car now, but I'm out of the country for work for another monthish, so my wife is taking him a $500 deposit and a bill of sale to be notarized saying that he received a deposit from me and that he'll hold the car until i can pick it up.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.