[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

e85

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 1

File: e85-price-spread_14194381674571.jpg (204KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
e85-price-spread_14194381674571.jpg
204KB, 1000x750px
What will happen if you run a non flexfuel car on e85?
>>
>>14550915
You run lean as fuck because your fuel system can't keep up with demand.

You can google this shit, you lazy cunt.
>>
>>14550925
Did google it couldnt really find what i was looking for, other then people not having problems other then cel coming on due to less emissions??? And that car was a prius lol
>>
>>14550915
It will eat through the rubber.
>>
>>14550915
special in australia is 98
what kind of crap do your cars run on?
i havent seen anything lower than 91.
>>
>>14550973
Our octane rating is calculated differently.
>>
>>14550915
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IPJ293icNE

ur fucked
>>
>>14550987
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmNQ66AtyWk

wrong vid
>>
>>14550915
Why would you want to? Mpg goes to shit, even in a car designed for it and it's corporate welfare for mega farms. (at least in the us) so it raises the cost of food.
>>
>>14550973
As a fellow Austrlian please stop making us look stupid. AKI and RON are different m8.
>>
>>14551001
Im not in the us, mileage doesnt matter i dont mind paying? I upped the boost with the last tune and just wondering what i should do next, i like its cooling capabilities and that detonation is reduced
>>
if your car is built for it (which it needs to be) it's actually kind of amazing for forced induction applications for various reasons
>>
>>14551013
Well my car has a nice little snail under the hood and feel like its a good upgrade
>>
>>14550915
While E85 may have higher octane rating than standard gas, it's not really going to benefit your car.
Now, in a non flex fuel vehicle, the ethanol will eat gaskets, rubber hoses and other parts in your fuel system. The alcohol likes to absorb water, so fuel sitting can easily and rapidly lead to rust inside of steel parts.
>>
>>14550915
It'll make mustard gas
>>
>>14550967
No, this is not methanol.
>>
You will need to upgrade injectors at the very least maybe even pumps. Some cars can actually run E85 on stock lines, I know on the Z32 guys have ran E85 on stock lines/pumps for 4+ years no problems.
>>
>>14550915
Depends on the car, some are more able to compensate for mixtures.

You will run lean if you run full e85 as more e85 is required vs gas.
>>
>>14551136
No it wont, you run E10 in your car these days.
>>
>>14550915
Do it and tell us faggot
>>
>>14551159
The ethanol in the fuel does actually degrade old style fuel lines, thing is though, any car built in the last 10 years has fuel lines capable of the job, it's just a common issue running e10/e85 in older cars.

One of the shittiest effects of changing to an ethanol based fuel is the reduced range, with some vehicles this mightn't be a problem but when you have a miata that gets 450-500k/tank and you run alcohol you're looking at 280-320k/tank, and considering the scarcity of ethanol pumps that can cause problems trying to plan out a serious roadtrip.
>>
>>14551167
I have 600cc injectors already and a upgraded fuel pump (walbro 255lph) what else would you recomend? Or should i upgrade?
>>
>>14551225
If you're out of alcohol why wouldn't you just fill it up with gasoline?
>>
>>14551211
Planning on it just want to make sure im not gona fuck it up from the get go
>>
>>14551136
How do you know it wont benefit? It burns cooler, has higher detonation, forced induction cars love it
>>
>>14550915
>regular GREEN
i wonder how many people have put regular on their diesels where you live.
>>
>>14551288
Probably none because diesel is yellow or black, and it's never immediately beside gasoline.
>>
>>14551288
Thats just a pic from google, diesel is a black pump where i live green is 91ron and 95 and 98 vary from red to orange to blue to purple depending on what service station you use
>>
>>14551296
>>14551322
here in the us diesel is green
>>
>>14551245
Don't because if it's not rated flexfuel then it's really not made to deal with that much ethanol running through the lines. US wants to make gasoline minimum of e15 and car companies are saying that won't work on the cars they make today. The stuff eats through seals.
>>
>>14551351
The old google machine isnt much help, some say yes some say no so i think i'll just find out for myself if it fucks it up at least i learnt lol
>>
>>14551327
I can see how that confuses the average american, but if you stop and read whats on the pump your algud
>>
>>14551239
You need to tune a vehicle to run on E85, you can have two maps. But you can't run a vehicle tuned for E85 on Gasoline or vice versa. E85 is about 110 octane and has a cooling effect.
>>
>>14551374
It's probably not just going to break your car in one go. It'll probably just be an accelerated degradation of the seals and possibly the engine (might preignite/knock if it can't deal with volatility). You'll just notice a fuel leak one day with no obvious cause but your memories of bad choices.
>>
>>14551392
I've driven a solara and a Lexus ls400, which both allow 87-91 octane and anything in between. Solara specifically says it's made for regular and will work nicer with high octane, and ls400 says premium only but regular is ok if you MUST. I don't know if this is because Toyota somehow has a very conservative tune on its engines, or if the Ecu is somehow adaptive, but it makes me want to call bogus on the idea that you can't use random levels of ethanol in flex fuel. e85 is "up to" 85% after all, not strictly 85%.
>>
>>14551262
It's like putting premium in a car that just uses regular-the car won't see any knock and won't do anything.
If you put a low octane in a car that wants premium it will mess with the timing and fuel amount and all the other factors to reduce the knock as much as possible-but if you pour race gas into a non flex fuel car it does not have the sensors to know there is anything other than gas in there, and it will just have the settings at normal. The car won't increase things beyond the maximum tune, it will just go with the map it has and stay there.
>>
>>14551401
Thats fine by me mate, car was cheap parts are cheaper and i always have my other vehicles, this car is just a pig and i enjoy tinkering with it, proved a fair few people wrong but i agree with you certain things i will need to change, the car has been running on e10 98 ron for over a year now(22k kilometres) so just wondering what would happen with e85
>>
>>14551426
Well the thing with this car is idk what tune it has, it should have boost/fuel/speed cut but doesnt, i found that out a few weeks ago when upgrading to a td05 which cost me 50$ around 30 usd and lettin her freespool, my boost guage goes to 30psi and it maxed it was a hell of a ride, took my mate whos a mechanic by trade for a blat in it and he was scratchin his head as to why the ecu allowed such boost levels, im planning on getting a tune done soon so hopefuly that answers some questions
>>
>>14551425
E85 is held to a standard I had a car that was tuned for E85, it's tune was for about 80% Ethanol and the tune could adapt to E75 to E85.

You will run a overly rich condition running Gasoline on E85 and if you get on it you will get massive detonation.

Like I said dending on the vehicle and it's fuel system you can get away mixing your gas so it's 30-50% ethanol. The ECU can compensate to a point.

The problem with flex fuel vehicles is that the companies don't take the time to use the benefits of E85, plus the vheicle could be running any number of mixtures. A flex fuel vehicle will blow running E85 because it has less energy content. But My e85 tuned vheicle got about 20mpg cruising. If I put it under full boost you could watch the little mpg counter drop quickly. The things 22psi will do.

E85 lets you run more timing and more boost, you get much better torque numbers and a better curve.
>>
>>14551177
You shouldn't run E10 if your car can't handle ethanol. Most modern cars can do that though.

>>14551232
Completely depends on the application.

>>14551262
FI cars love it, it makes them run safer on the factory tune, but they usually need an aftermarket software tune to really take advantage of E85 - and the main problem a flexfuel vehicle with forced induction will run into will be undersized injectors and fuel pump when you're trying to make more power.

>>14551392
This is complete nonsense. An ECU will vary between 0 and 100% ethanol depending on the mixture the flex fuel sensor is reading, and it'll adapt injection and ignition accordingly. Some ECU's can even do boost control, running 5psi for example when you're on 91 pump gas, but allow for, say, 20psi when it sense E85. Main reason here is that E85 mixtures are wildly inconsistent, ranging from 80 to 85%, and ECU's need to compensate for that.
>>
>>14551431
What would happen is that you'd run out of injectors or fuel pump, run the engine lean, and probably blow it up within a fraction of the expected lifetime of the engine.
>>
>>14551538
ECU's can adapt from 0 to 100% ethanol if the fuel delivery system is sized properly.

>running rich
>get detonation
What? That makes no sense.

It cam compensate indefinetely. It takes the 80% map, the 0%(regular gas) map, and varies between those two, and smart ones can extrapolate the difference to create mapping up to 100% ethanol. If you dyno tune at 100%, it'll always be able to work with any given mixture. Keep in mind that even if the flexfuel sensor isn't working well, modern aftermarket ECU's are self learning and will provide a tune that'll provide 90% of possible power safely.

Chevy actually offers different hp numbers on ethanol often a 5-10% increase on n/a engines.
Of course E85 will suck slightly more for mpg, it's less energy dense.
>>
>>14551555
Nice trips, the injectors that are in the car are twice the size of factory ones and it has a 255lph walbro im not looking for crazy power im just curious, when i bought the car it was cheap due to not being roadworthy after gettin the brakes sorted it was algud its a 98 wrx with a sti motor and box(unsure of year) put in it, has a aftermarket tmic and a td05 18g other then that i dont know about any engine work or ecu work other then it doesnt have speed/fuel/boost cut which it should has a full exhaust system de catted 3inch down pipe 3inch exhaust to the back fart cannon and i put a boost guage in it
>>
>>14551547
See >>14551593
For all i know about the car so far
>>
>>14551593
1998 STI has 420cc/min injectors stock, double that would be 850's. At 80% duty cycle those could probably handle around 330 crank hp on E85, and about 430 on regular before you run out of injector and start running lean. Keep in mind, you also need to add enough air to get to that power level. If I recall correctly a 255 Walbro is enough for 330hp on gasoline at 40 PSI of fuel pressure, so that'll be the limiting factor.
>>
>>14551232
Honestly depends in car and desired HP, for my car everyone will tell you minimum 740cc but many including myself will use 1,300cc.
>>
>>14550915
>super is 93 octane

mate the standard octane in europe is like 95

98 if you wanna be edgy is offered at every pump too
>>
>>14550974
>>14551004
shit says octane rating on the pic you faggot
>>
>>14552526
octane numbers in murrica are measured differently than in europe
>>
It's amazing but you need aftermarket ECU and tune done.
>>
>>14552572
>>>14550974
>>>14551004
>shit says octane rating on the pic you faggot
AUS uses the RON rating, we usually use the AKI rating. AKI is higher, I'm pretty sure (91RON is lower octane than 91AKI).
>>
98 octane is 112 cents. lol americans invading other countries for their oil and they cant even offer high octane fuel at a low price
>>
ITT: People don't know the difference between AKI and RON
>>
>>14552747
Three letters so what
>>
Im just gona go ahead and put some e85 in, will be doing it in roughly 2hours will post back if i go boom or not
>>
>>14552572
And under that it says (R+M)/2 you fucking retard.
>>
>>14552526
>98 if you wanna be edgy is offered at every pump too
Not anymore. 98 is disappearing rapidly. Sucks if you have a car that only likes 98 and V-Power and all that other 'premium' 95 nonsense just makes it worse.
>>
>>14555073
Most mobil and caltex stations in new zealand dont offer 98 and inatead have 95 yet charge the same as 98 at other service stations bit bull shit if you ask me
>>
It'll smooth out if you add about a gallon of diesel. Makes it run richer.
>>
>>14550974
its calculated differently you fucking upside down faggot. go fuck a kangaroo and leave the cars talk to us.
>>
Put 20litres of e85 in to give it a test have done 100kms on it so far no difference in power no nothing car feels sweet as mayne
>>
>>14556076
>>14551374
>>14551225
>>14551401
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuOs1yap8mU
looks like it's fine
>>
>>14557489
Quite an interesting vid thanks alot, cars run fine so far on the 20litres i put in, might get more tomorrow
>>
E85 can contaminate oil and leave water in the tank. You will need more of it so mileage goes out the window, and if your car is running on stock fuel pumps and filters there could be issues. Im not really an expert on this stuff just things I learned from my own research.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.