[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tires

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: spin_prod_790438912.jpg (779KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
spin_prod_790438912.jpg
779KB, 1500x1500px
Poorfag here. I need tires for my shitbox 04 Civic. I'm reading on lebbit that it's not worth it to skimp on tires. But lebbit is prone to unnecessary white knighting, so I pose the questions to you /o/

Is it bad idea to buy quality used tires? And, if I get new tires, is it worthwhile to go for a quality brand? I'm looking at Discount Tire for the latter.

Thanks.
>>
>>14536386
dont bother with nice tires for a shitbox
just get the 2nd or 3rd cheapest brand they have at a local shop

i've had trouble with used tires so i stopped bothering
>>
>>14536386
>Is it bad idea to buy quality used tires?

Fuck no. Are you dumb? Just make sure you don't get ripped off, of course. Should have at least 6mm left on them to be worth your while otherwise you'll be changing them in a couple years time again. Check them for damage and date of production. Old tires are shit even if they have lots of profile left, they get brittle and turn to rubber dog shit. Don't buy used tires older than 3 years. Wheels can be older than that as long as they aren't damaged.

>cheap discount tires
Never ever worth it.
>>
>>14536449
Also, if by cheap discount you mean literally noname - avoid.

If you mean Hankook, go for it.
>>
No need for real nice tires unless you really want them. Just pick something from the big name manufacturers and you should be fine. Read up on reviews on tirerack or something. There are cheap decent tires out there

I wouldnt go used unless you are that poor/need them temporarily/use for a fullsize spare
>>
>>14536462
Lots of people sell top tier tires with much profile left for 1/3 the price, you'd be stupid not to get them if you're driving a shitbox anyway. Still cheaper than the cheapest decent tire around here, there's at most 50 bucks between shit (Barum) and top (Conti/Michelin) for a full set over here.
>>
>>14536386
I'd only buy new. If it's a shitbox you don't need anything fawncee.

Tires are the interface between your car and the road, they are integral to having the car do what you want and be predictable.
>>
Even chink tires are decent nowadays.

You can get refurbished tires if you want to be even cheaper.
>>
Chink tyres will fall apart well before they get to the tread wear indicators
>>
I always buy used.
$100 got me a full set last summer.

Tire shops always have used in stock from people who buy bigger rims.
>>
>>14536386
Michelin defenders if 14in steelies, Goodyear eagle sport all seasons if 15in alloys
>>
>>14536386

I'd only buy used if I measured the tread depth and read the made on date and they were not old.

Also they have to not look messed up or damaged of course.
>>
>>14536386
Stick with the big names and you'll be fine desu.
>>
>>14536386
Only stupid people buy used tires.

>spends a third less money than new
>has to replace them 2 or 3 times as often
>>
Hi, my job is actually to install tires. Any questions?
>>
Continental ExtremeContact DWS. Fucking fantastic all-seasons. You probably won't need another set for your shitbox.
>>
>>14537050
Not available in his size.
>>
File: 1453775091902.jpg (42KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1453775091902.jpg
42KB, 300x300px
>go to junkyard
>search through their tires
>find 2 matching sets almost new
>$60
>>
>>14536386
Look for some Falken Ziex 950's. They're the poor mans Conti DWS's.
>>
used tires all the way
>>
>>14536986
This.

Also, tires are branded with where they are manufactured, so stick with 1st world countries. USA, Canada, Japan, Germany, France, UK.

If your tire says China, hope you don't blow up.
>>
>>14537039
Inquiry: In a tire that's 215/45/17, what does the 45 mean? And for a sports roadster, do you want it smaller or higher?
>>
>>14537753
Answer: It means the maximum speed rating for that tire is 45mph, do not drive over 45mph with that tire or it may fail.
>>
File: 1448137980833.jpg (14KB, 300x364px) Image search: [Google]
1448137980833.jpg
14KB, 300x364px
>>14537763
>>
>>14537753
Lrn2google
>>
>>14536386
buy hankooks
>>
>>14537665
>Saving an outdated control arm by welding a balljoint is unethical
>yeah sure buy a set of rolling death and put them on your car

You trip faggots are real consistent aren't you?
>>
>>14538111

Do you throw away your tires after each use?
>>
>>14538111
>performing a repair on someone else's car is the same is buying a part for your own car
I wouldn't put used tires on a customer car because I am too lazy to order new ones (like the guy did with the balljoint)
>>
how much of a difference if any does upsizing one do?
>>
>>14538381
The wheel? If you go up in diameter you have to decrease sidewall.
>>
>>14538381
faster top speed
slower acceleration
it will throw your speedometer off
>>
>>14538381

https://tiresize.com/calculator/
>>
posting on reddit and reading useful shit off reddit are two completely different things
>>
Get the cheapest tire you can at Costco, you'll be fine.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.