[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here an AC tech? This is driving me nuts, I have a 1999

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 2

File: IMAG1087.jpg (2MB, 3264x1824px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1087.jpg
2MB, 3264x1824px
Anyone here an AC tech? This is driving me nuts, I have a 1999 Isuzu Rodeo that I've been trying to fix the AC system on for the past month and have already wasted so much money. Originally it had a weak AC that would only go could if I pressed the accelerator which I diagnosed to a weak compressor. Now I've replaced the AC compressor, evaporator, control valve and dryer and it's not getting cold at all. I've followed the procedure of flushing it out and then running a vacuum to boil out any moisture.

This is the readout on the manifold gauge, the low pressure line is high while the high pressure line is low. The compressor engages fine and I've already wasted $50 worth of AC coolant and it's still not getting cold with the same gauge results like this. What the hell is going on??
>>
>replaced everything
>still isn't functioning properly
just pulling out of my ass here but the wiring's probably all fucked
>>
>>14503467
Is the clutch even engaging? If it is then you've got a restriction somewhere. If not test your pressure switches and check for voltage at the compressor.
>>
>>14503467
It doesn't look like it's doing shit. Is the compressor even coming on?
>>
>>14503467
you did your install wrong.
>>
>>14503575
>>14503631
Yes, the compressor clutch is engaging. Everything's running as it should so it's not an electrical issue. Can the compressor be fucked somehow even though it's brand new and spinning?
>>
>>14503467
Like ericthecarguy says, AC systems are super complex and not for the DIY. And you're just changing parts. A professional could diagnose it and repair in one go, saving you money.
>>
>>14505453
Like ericthecarguy says, weld your ball joints.
>>
>>14505487
I agree, that's wrong. No one's right 100% of the time.
>>
Probably a 2 dollar stuck blend door
>>
>>14505515
Fucking this! Had this problem on a 2002 S10. Luckily we have a retired HVAC dude in my small town that specializes in auto AC. $50 bucks and we found out that was the issue.
>>
>>14505453

You mean ericthehackguy? Even Kilmer is starting to look better than that tool that recomends welding balljoints and hacks over half is work.
>>
Hvac pro here do you even have any freon in there idiot
>>
>>14505576
>>14505487
Nothing wrong with welding the ball joint in the situation he did.

I don't know if you know this or not but most of your car's frame is held together with welds.
>>
>>14503467
chuck some gas in there and see if the pressure drops overnight
>>
>>14505661

Sure thing jocko.

Engineers are all dumb fucks that know nothing and just like to wasted time and resources.

Go weld your balljoints please then. We'll be here waiting for their failure and your death.
>>
>>14505661
He welded it because he didn't want to spend the time getting the correct part.
>>
>>14505677

He welded it because he became a fucking hack.

He's not to be bothered doing shit the proper way anymore. Just look at the last videos. Quality and care have gone drown the drain.

Would not use him as a mechanic. 1/10.
>>
>>14503467
Usually when the pressures are close to each other like that it means the compressor isn't working properly.
>>
>>14505707
It's hilarious because he could have just gone to the parts store with his fixing it forward donations, but chose to be a retarded faggot because it was easier.
>>
What are the pressures supposed to be OP?

Asking the obvious but do you have the lines hooked up correctly?

When you applied the vacuum, did you make sure you had no leaks?

Check your condenser and lines for kinks or damage.

From the looks of the gauges, looks like something is freezing or obstructing the low pressure side this the high pressure reading.

Make sure you're not over charging the system. This is where people fuck up, they add too much freon thinking the more the better. Look up your system capacity.
>>
>>14505727

No wonder that disguised slob got booted from the dealers.
>>
>>14505671
>>14505677
>>14505707

And yet no one has bothered to type out their half assed and wrong explanation of why welding is bad.

You're probably all the type to gladly use the supplied Chinese bolts to install your Indian ball joints and never once question it.

You changed mom's oil that one time and you watch roadkill. That doesn't mean you know what you're talking about.

His welds will long outlast the life of the car, much less the life of the balljoint.
>>
>>14505740
>wanting to work for a dealer

Why open my own restaurant when McDonald's is always hiring?
>>
>>14505764
>His welds will long outlast the life of the car, much less the life of the balljoint.
Let me get this straight, he welded the ball joint to the control arm? Do you not see the problem here?
>>
>>14505764

If welding balljoints was such a marvellous thing to do, engineers would opt for that design and cars would come from factory like that.

He did a shit job. Period.
>>
>>14505774

If your restaurant will turn out to be a shit joint, yeah, McD's is a nicer place.
>>
>>14505777
Nope. The control arm was superseded. Next time it needs a ball joint it will need a control arm regardless.

At least these other fucktards know the context before they interject their retardation. Are you sorry?
>>
>>14505777
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYnscq4pMKw

9 minutes in
>>
>>14505515
not with those pressure readings lol
>>
>>14505786
Why would that make any sense? The control arm was outdated. You couldn't buy ball joints that's fit it.

What does that have anything to do with control arms that werent outdated by the production of different size ball joints?
>>
>>14505646
>pro
>freon

they havent used R12 since the early 90's you dipshit.
>>
>>14505791
Ohhhh, it was OK because there were already other problems being ignored, now I get it! Sounds solid.
>>
>>14505813

Enjoy crashing head-on into a semi because the welds fatigue broke and you lost your steering.

You and your low intelligence won't be missed.
>>
>>14505850
Did you google that term, weekend warrior?

Hurry its almost Monday you're running out of time to change your moms oil.

Nice job completely side stepping me destroying your retarded logic.

>>14505816
And the other problem being a perfectly fine control arm, I assume?

>WELDING IS BAD!!!

why?

>BECAUASE HES A HACK!!!

Okay
>>
>>14505891

Your post reeks of an attempt to damage control.

You indeed got destroyed because thats the inherent risk of what he did on such a vital component of a car.

Now get the fuck out of my /o/

Stay dirty.
>>
>>14505815
Google colloquialism

Since you like to google shit you don't know anything about to pretend to be an expert
>>
>>14503467

If your compressor clutch is engaged and spinning the input shaft of the compressor, and if you are sure you have the correct amount of refrigerant in the system, then your compressor is no good. It is not making any pressure as the 2 sides are almost equal. Any sort of restriction on the high side will raise the high side pressure if the compressor is making pressure. A restriction on the low side will create a very low reading and can even create a vacume reading on the low side if the compressor is making pressure. (again, if you have the correct amount of refrigerant in the system) The normal pressure readings for a R134 system at 1200rpm (depending on outside temp and air flow through the condenser) should be around 40lbs on low side, 230lbs on the high. Again, this is a ballpark figure depending on air flow and temp)

Unfortunately, you have thrown a lot of parts at the problem instead of properly diagnosing the problem.
>>
>>14505891
>a perfectly fine control arm
>that was redesigned for some reason
>for which nobody makes ball joints for, even though it's an extremely common car
Something isn't adding up here. Either way even on a shitbox welding a part on because you can't find the right size replacement is incredibly unprofessional, especially for a car so common. If you are in the field and your shop does work like that I hope you understand that is not the norm.
>>
>>14505911
But you've yet to explain why it was bad? There are countless stress point on your car that are welded. My old F250 had an anchor point for a shock in the rear end that was the shape of a finger, very thin, and had a weld about an inch and a half long. Lasted the life of the truck. I bet you think ford engineers are hacks now too?

>my /o/
I remember being 15 and thinking 4chan was something I was apart of
>>
>>14505951

>my car has welded parts theres no arm in welding a balljoint

Are you that stupid?
>>
>>14505924
>colloquialism
noun
a word or phrase that is not formal or literary, typically one used in ordinary or familiar conversation.
the use of ordinary or familiar words or phrases.
>>
>>14505963
>theres no arm in welding a balljoint

You're so butt hurt you can't even type coherent sentences.
>>
>>14505850
The ball joint would have to completely fail to lose steering input. The weld isn't even a stressed joint it's simply there to take up some slop. The bottom of the ball joint would have to pull completely through the control arm or the heim joint would have to pull through the spindle to cause any problem.

If there were no weld at all on the ball joint the customer would still have complete functionality of his steering and suspension system. There is more to being a tech lnician than just replacing parts. Obstacles like this must be overcome in a timely fashion. I've went so far as to create custom wire harnesses with data link wires (a big nono) because of lack of parts availability and the customer complaint was solved.
>>
>>14506065
But hack because welds XDDDD

I CANT TELL TOU WHY ITS BAD BUT ITS BAD

SOOOO BAD
>>
>>14506095
It's already been explained, it's bad because rather than sourcing the correct part, he created an unserviceable repair that if anything went wrong with, whether it was related to the strength of the weld or not, would be a huge liability issue. If you are a good tech nobody will be able to see where you replaced or worked on something. People find or make exact fit parts for Duesenburgs and Tuckers, you can get a ball joint on to a Nissan Maxima properly, it's not that daunting.
>>
File: gauge.png (3MB, 857x2440px) Image search: [Google]
gauge.png
3MB, 857x2440px
>>14503467
>>
>>14506111
>he made an unserviceable part unserviceable

Oh no

Also I guess you've never heard of grinding a weld off.

Customers don't like being told funtioning parts need to be replaced.
>>
>>14506228
>grinding that weld off
Sure, that will work great, I'm sure the next tech who is unfortunate enough to get this car when it fails, after seeing the weld, and knowing he will be paid maybe .8 hours to replace the balljoint including an alignment, will grind off the weld, weld on a reinforcement plate since the control arm is now fucked, redrill it, and redo the repair correctly

>Customers don't like being told funtioning parts need to be replaced.
Guess you better lie to them then and perform the repair improperly
>>
>>14503467

replace your expansion valve
>>
>>14506260
The more you talk the more you reveal your inexperience. If you can't grind off 4 tack welds without ruining everything in under .8 hours maybe you should just go back to college.
>>
Nobody here cares about welded ball joints, the man just wants air conditioning! Take it outside.

Just a thought, but did you keep the system in a vacuum and properly purge the center hose, and add refrigerant through that way? What the fuck do you mean "flush out"? You evacuate to remove the air, also, so if you removed the guages after evacuation and charged the system using one of those DIY kits, you're done it all wrong. You want nothing but refrigerant in the system, no air at all.
>>
>>14506339
Why would I go back to college? I get paid well to work on great cars all day because I do work properly. Maybe if you learned how to do it the right way you would be doing the same rather than watching 40 minute long videos on how to fix a balljoint on an old Maxima on youtube.
>>
>>14506260
Did you watch the video? It was clearly explained that the ball joint isnt a serviceable item. The oem recommends replacement of the entire control arm which was not available at the time.
>>
>>14506369
It's a Nissan Maxima, they made hundreds of thousands of them, of course the part is available somewhere. If a truck came into your shop and you saw a structural part of the suspension is the wrong sized part welded in by another mechanic rather than bolted in would you think to yourself "oh, the last tech did a good repair here"? I would hope not, especially if you are the next guy working on the truck and have to guarantee the work coming out the shop safely.
>>
>>14506416
It's actually a Sentra.
>>
>>14506065
>>14506228

The jew lawyers love "techs" (read hacks) like you.
>>
>>14506339

Are you ericthehackguy or are you sucking his dick?

You fanboyism is attrocious.
>>
>>14505974
I.e. Freon or refrigerant or r134a
>>
>>14503467
How many micron did you pull? 500micron and hold for 5min and you know no leak. You can remove the compressor and flush both lines with nitrogen, really assemble and then pull vacuumed to 500 micron. Then charge with r134a. Enjoy you ac.
>>
>>14503467
And don't over charge refrigerant, if you do you will lose cooling efficiency.
>>
Concerning the original problem, maybe driving made the AC cooler because it increased airflow across the condenser. Possible u have a weak fan clutch (if rwd) or bad auxiliary/condenser fan.

Start over. Empty the system. Pull vacuum. Make sure u have no leaks. Have someone spray the condenser with garden hose while u add the correct amount of refrigerant.
>>
>>14503467

Hey OP if you're sure that the compressor is good and the clutch is engaging, I'd say it's time to look at how much refrigerant you've got in the system and if you're good there, then the expansion valve. If that's a picture of your readings when the compressor is running, something definitely isn't right because the differential between the sides should be much higher. Probably in the neighborhood of 200psi on the condenser side and 30psi on the evap side. My guess you you are still very low on refrigerant or have a leak somewhere in the system that is preventing. I would check for leaks and make sure you're charged up to spec, then look into a new expansion valve if you're still having issues.
>>
>>14503467
You probably have a bad compressor rebuilds can be bad...although seeing how your thread is getting hijacked u might wanna try a more specific forum...
>>
>>14503467
Those are your pressures while it the AC is on max and recirc? If the compressor is running and you have pressures like that you've got a bad compressor. There is almost no pressure differential.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.