[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on wranglers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8

Well I inherited a 2011 silverado with about 10k miles valued at around $22k, I cant afford the insurance let alone the gas this thing guzzles. My daily driver is an older subaru and I can tell its on its last legs. Ill run it till it blows and junk it.
Anyway im considering trading it in for a newer wrangler. Winters are harsh here so no matter what i get it needs to be awd or 4x4.
There are plenty of off road trails where I live so I would most likely be indulging in some mudding from time to time.
I dont know anyone personally that owns a wrangler so I cant get a first hand opinion

Any wrangler owners care to give their thoughts?
>>
>>14502120
>can't afford gas for a v8 truck
>somehow able to afford gas for a v6 suv with terrible aerodynamics
They get the same mpg brah. Truck might even do better on the interstate.
>>
>>14502120
>Winters are harsh here so no matter what i get it needs to be awd or 4x4.
Nah.
>>
>>14502134
This truck gets 8mpg m8
Im almost certain a 4cyl wrangler would do better
>>
File: 1455835862959.jpg (265KB, 945x684px) Image search: [Google]
1455835862959.jpg
265KB, 945x684px
>>14502147
>newer wrangler
>4 cylinder
What years are you thinking about Op?
For what it's worth, if you can't afford gas and insurance on a five year old GM truck then you shouldn't be looking at a Wrangler. Sell it as a private party and buy something within your budget.
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
>>
>>14502147
If the truck gets 8 mpg you're driving like an asshat, 100% in the city, or something is broken.

As from the 4cyl vs v6, a bigger engine barely working is more efficient than a small engine working hard.
>>
>>14502199
And yes I know the tj has an inline 6
>>
>>14502184
well i came up with this idea a few hours ago so i havent put much thought / research into it.
Im in the process of selling my r6 right now.
If i sell my bike and get rid of the subaru i could afford the truck. but i really just dont want it, i obtained it from a tragedy and its got bad vibes.
Im on a few different forums atm and everyone is saying the 4cyl suck dick so i'd be okay with the bigger engine.
>>14502199
I rarely have a need to leave town so you are correct.
>>
>>14502215
>I rarely have a need to leave town so you are correct.
So get a hybrid.
>>
>>14502218
come on now, hybrids are gay.
I want the option to visit our local trails
>>
File: 1456016794689.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
1456016794689.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
The newer wranglers are okay, they use a minivan engine. The better ones were the TJ generation (1997-2006) with the 4.0 Liter. The engine is fun and easy to work on.

If insurance is an issue you're in luck, jeep wranglers are cheap to insure (http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-cheapest-car-insurance-0323-biz-20150320-story.html). Parts are abundant, and therefore also cheap (in fact I purposely bought mine with some faults so I could jew down the price way down and then fix them up later for 20% the cost of what the mechanic quoted me during the pre-inspection). It has a massive aftermarket, either almost the biggest or THE biggest in the US allowing you to mod it precisely how you want it.

You might face some quirks though but if you can get past them you'll like the jeep. You will be doing a lot of corrective steering, the interior is noisy (but many love to exaggerate that it's so loud you can't talk, that's false I my friends and I can talk just fine). Gas will be a pain because its a brick on wheels after all but gas is currently pretty cheap.

A lot of people on /o/ are going to tell you that jeeps are shit but they are not going to go in depth as to how. All they have at best are anecdotes of friends who own them got stuck and a corrolla had to pull them out or some bullshit.
>>
>>14502221
Get that Subaru XV thing
>>
>>14502229
>The better ones were the TJ generation (1997-2006) with the 4.0 Liter.
Absolutely not
>A lot of people on /o/ are going to tell you that jeeps are shit but they are not going to go in depth as to how
They're built like weak shit. Even the TJR and JKRs have basically D30s up front. The JK has probably the worst ergonomics of any car ever, too.
>>
>>14502120

God I hate the newer ones. How long until they become overpriced xbox huge luxury SUVs like all the good old off road cars
>>
>>14502221
DD a Chevy volt and have a jeep trail rig?
>>
>>14502229
thanks for the legit response.
I'm mechanically inclined enough to do basic work myself and have a good friend with lifts in his garage so that's not an issue.
Noise doesnt bother me, my work is ~2 miles from my house, i hardly ever need to hit the highways.
I was looking at a 2006 on craigslist, it'd leave me with some pocket change leftover.
>>
>>14502262
>thanks for the legit response.
Read: thank you for telling me what I want to hear
>>
Not OP, but related question. How anemic is the 4 cylinder colorado? How legit are the mpg estimates in recent models?
>>
>>14502240
I have a mk3 supra in storage waiting for a headgasket.
Half the point of getting rid of my truck, bike, and subaru was so i could afford to get the supra back on the road
>>
>>14502262
That commute is murder to any gas car. They never get up to temp.
>>
>>14502281
I let it get warm before i drive off, and i take the "long way" home every chance i get.
>>
>>14502288
>I let it get warm before i drive off
No.

Really a hybrid/or BEV is exactly what you need.

As usual, poor people making bad life choices.
>>
File: 5962441.jpg (32KB, 453x500px) Image search: [Google]
5962441.jpg
32KB, 453x500px
>>14502297
I'll off myself before i get a hybrid
>>
>>14502302
Then you might as well off yourself, since you're terminally retarded.
>>
>>14502316
>not wanting a faggy hybrid
>retarded

just because my work is 2 miles away doesnt mean i never take vacations.
>>
>>14502320
Ride a bike, then, you fat nigga. Once again, poor people making poor decisions.
>>
>>14502297
Hybrid if you're going to trade in every two years or lease. Look at the warranties for hybrids compared to non-hybrids. The car companies know they become expensive as fuck.
>>
>>14502320
Chevy volt. You'd never use any gas except for engine maintenance burns. 35 miles of electric range, ~40mpg on road trips with the gas engine running. The best of both worlds.
>>
>>14502336
Im selling my r6
>>
>>14502344
Oh my god, a bicycle. Christ you are a moron.
>>
>>14502354
lmao you're quite a hostile human arent you?
who hurt you?
>>
File: 1426322276646.png (1MB, 900x1174px) Image search: [Google]
1426322276646.png
1MB, 900x1174px
>>14502236
>tells everybody about jeeps weak axles, how is not a REAL Dana 44, blah, blah, blah.
>conveniently ignores the fact that it is the go to off road vehicle in the US, and an obviously good choice for OP.
Just remember every jeep that you see moving under its own power must be a miracle considering it's axle is so weak.
>>
>>14502388
>>conveniently ignores the fact that it is the go to off road vehicle in the US
So what? Off roading is a hobby in the US, it's not even close to a daily life necessity.
>Just remember every jeep that you see moving under its own power must be a miracle considering it's axle is so weak.
Oh basically.
>>
>>14502400
>Off roading is a hobby in the US, it's not even close to a daily life necessity.

a hobby i stated i wanted to partake in

so i blow an axle, big deal. ive access to lifts and since jeeps are everywhere im sure i can get a replacement for cheap.
>>
>>14502400
>offroading is a hobby in the US
Correct. After putting on larger tires and the harsh conditions these offroad jeeps are subjected to, the axles become a weak point.
When they are left stock it is a non issue. You parrot all the shit you read online at ORV forums then try and tell people that as a whole jeeps are shit because of thier axles, when in fact it is only a problem for people offroading them.
>>
>>14502451
>so i blow an axle, big deal.
Amazing.
>>14502476
>it is only a problem for people offroading them.
Well if it's just a commuter car, then it doesn't matter. I don't know why the fuck you would even imagine buying a Wrangler as a commuter car, though. The best way to get a Wrangler? 4 cylinder TJ. You gotta replace the drivetrain with good shit, anyway.
>>
>>14502544
the trails here are basically just dirt roads that get muddy in the rain, a few hills to climb ect, I wont be rock crawling the thing so i highly doubt ill be snapping axles
>>
Not OP but what kinda MPGs can a 4 cyl TJ get in Stop and Go traffic?
>>
>>14502120

You cant afford silverado gas, but think you can afford wrangler gas?
>>
>>14502578
So get something else.
>>
>>14502584
teens.
>>
File: 32423.png (24KB, 87x97px) Image search: [Google]
32423.png
24KB, 87x97px
>>14502586
I own 4 vehicles and inherited this truck. its not necessarily the gas i cant afford. If i get rid of a few other cars and my motorcycle ill be paying a shitload less on insurance. Im looking for something fun I can drive in the snow and take off road in summer if i feel the need. A jeep seems to fit the bill i was just hoping actual wrangler owners could give their opinions and instead everyone is telling me to get battery cars and gay hybrids
>>
I would just get a Cherokee to be honest, family. Sure wranglers have that distinctive look and Offroad capability but so do Cherokees. Wranglers are just more expensive because muh resale value. Idk if I'm right or wrong but this is just personal preference that I would rather drive and offroad a Cherokee
>>
>>14502578
>I won't be rock crawling so I won't break an axle
Really it has more to do with the size of tires and how much you are on the skinny pedal. You are not going to put 35" tires on a stock d35 rear axle and romp on it even on logging roads.
But on the same hand they aren't going to self destruct the minute you buy it like chicken little here seems to think>>14502400
Find your local ORV club, learn the basics, offroading is more than equipment it also requires skill. Go to ORV parks, talk to the people who are active in the sport. You'll get better info there than you ever will here.
>>
>>14502642
I plan to keep it relatively stock if i do get one.
I live in Butler, PA where the bantam jeep was created. It just seemed fitting to consider one to own.
there's a big almost cult of jeep owners here I figured it would be fun to get involved.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-02-21-13-03-14.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-02-21-13-03-14.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
>>14502584
>implying my gas gauge works
Low teens on stock wheels and tires. It's severely underpowered and has all the aerodynamic advantages of a brick.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-24-08-54-18.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-24-08-54-18.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
>>14502683
Then get one. Talk to this big cult, they should be able to point you in the way of the best choice for your needs and budget.
I've got a CJ and a TJ, I've had jeeps for years. Personally I would sell the truck outright and buy a CJ8 if you can find one.
>>
>>14502747
>CJ8
there was a guy who dropped a big block in one around here. sky blue with a white hardtop
sounded mean.

and i probably will get one. im just hesitant to make any big decisions. I'll sit on the idea and let it fester for a week or two and probably just go do it some random day.
>>
Wranglers are pretty impractical daily drivers.

>Poor MPG
>Underpowered
>Very uncomfortable compared to same vehicles in it's price range
>Inflated used prices due to demand

If you live in a place where they use dirt/gravel on the roads when it snows have fun replacing your windshield on a annual basis. Get that full glass coverage with $0 deductible, because those windshields offer zero deflection and just take all the impact.

This is what you do if you want a daily driver and something to offroad in. Go get a daily driver, that is not meant for offroading at all. Just something with good MPG and you can put snow tires on it.

Take all the money you saved from not buying a Wrangler, and go buy a cheap sub $2000 Chevy K5, Ford Bronco, Old Toyota, Suzuki Samurai, or whatever you can find that is cheap and in decent condition. Get liability insurance on it and feel free to offroad the fuck out of it and beat it up without worrying about screwing up your daily driver.
>>
>>14502610
>everyone is telling me to get battery cars and gay hybrids
/k/ and /biz/ also do this shit

>i want x for y, z, etc. reasons
>get something that doesn't do any of that because i felt the need to put my fingers on the keyboard

also wanting a 2dr jk so it's good to see /o/ having wrangler threads recently
>>
OP your needs would be filled just as well by a honda CR-V or toyota RAV-4 and they would get way better gas mileage. If you got 15mpg cumulative in a Jeep I would be surprised. If you want to buy one just because you think Jeeps are cool that's fine, but be honest with yourself about why you want it. They aren't exactly gas efficient and they use a v6 with very little available aftermarket.
>>
>>14502876
>also wanting a 2dr jk so it's good to see /o/ having wrangler threads recently
Jeepforum would be a much better place for info than here.
>>
OK so cut through all the bullshit. I've known a bunch of people who've owned wranglers and there are only 2 types: those who LOVED IT, and those who FUCKING HATED IT and celebrated the day they sold it.

And it always puzzled me until one day I was idly thinking in the shower and I made the realization.

The people who loved them?
It wasn't their only car. They had some other sort of DD.

The people who hated them?
It was their only car, and it was their DD.

That should speak volumes as to their suitability as a daily driver. I don't doubt they are fun as fuck toys, but as a "get to work and back" car they are apparently atrocious.
>>
>>14502871
I can deal with the shit mpg when i sell my other vehicles, which im in the process of doing atm.
I also always leave a vast distance from the car infront of me because ive experienced rock chips in the past.
Thats good advice on buying a shit vehicle to beat around. but ive owned shit vehicles before and have had bad experiences on wasting money just keeping them running.
>>14502905
anything better than 8mpg is good for me.
And you're correct i think i want one just because i think theyre neat. And theres a big Jeep owners group where i live it'd be nice to make some new friends.
>>
>>14502952

>fun as fuck toys

GOD DAMMIT oh that came out so wrong hahahah

I wrote "fun toys" and then changed it to "fun as fuck" and forgot to remove the "toys" part.

kek
>>
>>14502935
On things like caveats on options, good deals, and other useful information
Car info sites also have value

however I like to have a forum of contrarian assholes to give me a steaming plate of shit, not exclusively koolaid from cultists
>>
>>14502970
>I like to have a forum of contrarian assholes to give me a steaming plate of shit, not exclusively koolaid from cultists

that's why i decided to post here.
Im on a few different forums getting opinions.
and so far this is the only site thats given me some negative opinions.
>>
>>14502935
Yes but if you solely go off of a site that has will be obviously biased towards a vehicles, you will only get what you want to hear. Going somewhere cynical like /o/ is a good place to get the painful details allowing you to get more complete research.
>>
>>14502120
>cant afford gas
>cant afford insurance
>wants a wrangler
>wants to go mudding

Do it op. Go broke then come back to us crying like a little bitch.
>>
>>14502969
>fun as fuck toys

You denegerate
>>
>>14502120
Post picture of chebby
>>
>>14503243
>>14502970
I agree it's best to see opposing views, but the technical info and access to both new and used parts and accessories is more than enough reason to visit specific forums.
As far as general discussion then sure take it with a grain of salt, and look for both sides of the story.
>>
>>14502871
>>14502952
These guys speak the truth. Just got rid of my inline 6 TJ last year for these reasons. It was my daily, thought I could deal with the gas mileage and shitty drive and noise. Planned to "off-road" it too. I took it off-road once and then had to put up with the shitty ride the other 99% of the time. I can tell you have already made your decision OP and just want people to agree with you, just remember:
You were warned.
>>
I've had a wrangler as a DD for years and loved it.
My first and only car and it's been fine except the radiator needed to be replaced once a few years back.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.