[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I Get A Motorcycle?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 13

File: 00L0L_dF6KBXjDP0q_600x450.jpg (32KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
00L0L_dF6KBXjDP0q_600x450.jpg
32KB, 450x450px
>be me
>18
>want a different car
>can't find anything I want with my budget
>consider a motorcycle
>preferably a street/sport bike
>dad says: "don't, it's too dangerous"

Should I listen to him? Is it really that dangerous to drive one? And how much worse is it to own a motorcycle than a car?

>pic related
Found it on craigslist and looks like something I'd get.
>>
>>14498784
>"shud i listen 2 him guise"
What the fuck do you think retard, do you think he's saying that for fun?
>>
>>14498784
do you have $2k for riding gear?
insurance?
how are you going to deal with rain/snow?
you have no cargo space like you do with a car/truck, hw are you going to deal with that?
>>
>>14498810
well shit, I think it's smarter to have more than just one person's opinion. just because he's my dad, doesn't mean he knows everything.
>>
>>14498832
Was about to post this. The important thing is also to consider your commute; I'd never buy one where I am because there's too many places for idiots to pull out in front of you.

I rode a motorcycle (read: dirt bike) through some town across the country a while ago and that was fun and a lot less dangerous than where I live.
>>
>>14498784
i watched a woman change lanes wihout looking and clip a guy on a bike. his leg got severed below the knee.
could you handle seeing your body parts 60ft away from you?
>>
>>14498832
what and how much gear would you need that totals up to 2000 bucks? I've seen people on them who just wears a tshirt, sweatpants, skate shoes, helmet and gloves. I'm sure that isn't the smartest way to do things but still.

I live in california so riding conditions aren't a problem.

I really don't think i'll be hauling more than a backpack full of stuff per commute.

But my commute would consist of driving within a city, however not the freeway.
>>
>>14498862
probably not, but to be honest I don't think I would drive in between lanes unless I'm coming up to a red light.
>>
>>14498888
>what and how much gear would you need that totals up to 2000 bucks?

>shoei helmet- $500
>alpinestars leather jacket - $500+
>alpinestars leather pants - $400+
>alpinestarts gp gloves - $200+

You'll want good quality gear because you end up buying the expensive shit in the end, trust me.
>>
File: IMG_20160129_130137[1].jpg (652KB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160129_130137[1].jpg
652KB, 1944x2592px
>>14498784
As a ride myself, I could never recommend someone actually ride because of the safety issues, but I also have to say that I love riding. The sheer amount of idiots on the road should deter anyone that doesn't have the ability or patience to put up with it.

It really helps invest in riding if you actually enjoy it so I recommend taking an MSF course (or comparable in your country/state) that will pretty much let you know if you are even interested in riding. It's not rocket science, but it is much more complicated than driving a car in many ways (motorcycles are hard to see, have to deal with hazards differently, etc)

Also, i guess if you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them from my perspective
>>
>>14498784
If you've never ridden before consider getting a small displacement bike. 600s can be unforgiving to new riders. I rode dirt bikes before street bikes and got along fine but I had a few friends who had never ridden and hopped so some pretty powerful bikes. Took them a long time to really get the hang of things because they were so scared of the bikes which is completely understandable. "It only goes as fast as you turn the trottle" is a really dumb thing people say
>>
File: Snapchat-8283817609590683499.jpg (198KB, 1080x1776px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-8283817609590683499.jpg
198KB, 1080x1776px
>>14498888
>>14498912
He's pretty much right, invest in good quality gear or you will regret it and end up buying a few months down the road if you really get into riding. Again taking an MSF course will give you a better idea if it is something you're interested in.

I'm also commute in CA and can tell you that having a variety of gear is a good thing!
You'll probably want:
-leather jacket (alpinestars jaws is good because it has a removable liner in it)
-textile jacket for extremely hot days (much better than squiding)
-Kevlar jeans/ leather pants
-comfortable boots (not riding shoes) Alpinestars S-MX series is pretty good for commuting
-Quality Helmet (go test some out, don't skimp. Shoei, Arai, AGV, etc)
-Leather palmed gloves
-Base layers if you travel in the early mornings

>>14498888
Generally conditions are not a problem, however, when it rains our streets are generally slicker than an area that sees a lot of rain due to oils in the road not getting washed away as frequently

>>14498903
Also, lane splitting, if done responsibly, is statistically safer than not splitting

>>14499000
Like this guy said, Smaller displacement is good, especially if you are going to be riding in the city a lot. Definitely check out the stickie
>>
So 600+ cc is too much for a beginner? I've heard that people look down on others who ride small displacement. But I guess those are the cocky, douche riders?

The blue kawasaki in the original post is a 250r which is 250 cc if I'm not mistaken?
>>
File: 1455914257239.jpg (88KB, 650x523px) Image search: [Google]
1455914257239.jpg
88KB, 650x523px
>>14499202
>600+ to much for a beginner.
Depends what style or bike really a cruiser or a dual sports not really but you will have to be more careful when getting use to the bike to begin with. A sports bike 600+ is too much for a learner if you have no riding experience. Remember odds are that you will make a mistake a some point so don't go all out on your first bike. Over here a person can do i 10 minute test in a parking lot and a multi choice quiz be out the road with no insurance up to 650cc.
>>14498903
Lane splitting/ filtering is easy enough i do it on a cruiser. Saves around 1 hour off my commute
>>
File: IMG_56621.jpg (1MB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_56621.jpg
1MB, 3000x2000px
>>14499202
not necessarily, a 600cc supersport is too much, but a 650cc sport bike, such as a ninja650 or sv650 is manageable.

Fuck what people think man. Honestly I started on a 250 and sure you may get a laugh by some jackass, but whatever. Just do you, if you are serious about riding. Personally I loved my 250 in the city, it got around 70+mpg, but wasn't super fun on the freeway

Yes, you're right that's a ninja250. Not a bad starter bike, in fact a pretty damn good one. Just note, it is carburated so you will have to adjust and clean the carb
>>
File: Buell_Lightning_XB9SX_CityX.jpg (122KB, 800x631px) Image search: [Google]
Buell_Lightning_XB9SX_CityX.jpg
122KB, 800x631px
>>14498784
Bike rider for 18 years. It's SUPER dangerous. However 90% of accidents can be avoided by NOT RIDING LIKE A FUCKING YOLO SWAGGOT. I've never been down. And though it may happen, I am hyper vigilant while riding. Always looking. Never riding hard in traffic. Always being defensive. Learn on smaller bikes, because if you do wreck it you don't wan't to have to replace a big boy bike. Don't show off, because that's how you wreck. be smart, ride smart, keep your cool.
But mostly, some people just aren't coordinated or quick thinking enough to ride. Get on some dirt bikes and see how you can handle that, then get a street bike. I'm not telling you not to ride. But to treat riding a motorcycle like it's no big deal is how you die. My uncle got in his first accident at 45. There was a bunch of sand on a hard turn in the middle of the night. He was driving too fast and ate shit. So it can happen at anytime. Just be safe and aware.

>there are more motorcycle than huuurrrr sports biihhkkk
>>
>>14499202
Pls dont fall for the 250cc meme. Most of them have bicycle like tires that are horrible in corners
>>
>>14498903
but to be honest I don't think I would drive in between lanes unless I'm coming up to a red light.

ANNNDDDD you already have proven yourself a fucking douche bag who will die on a bike or get severely injured. RIDE SAFE you stupid faggot. WHY risk cutting between cars ANYWHERE to save a whole 1 minute?

I hope you die on a bike.
>>
>>14499019
>statistically safer to lane cut
Only in stand still traffic. And that's because of getting rear ended. Which you can avoid by getting flashing brake lights which almost eliminate that problem.
>>
just get a god damn ninja 250

I upgraded from a ninja 250 and replaced it with a CBR 600RR, totally unneeded and way overpowered.

The 1988-2007 ninja 250R has a 0-60 of 5.8 sec. This is in the range of current midsize V6 sedans that have 280hp. People are fucking fags with numbers. 250cc sportbike is quite a bit different than a 250cc cruiser.
>>
Bikes are only as safe as their rider. If the rider knows when the time and place is to fuck around and they have the required knowledge/experience, then you eliminate any accident that might happen through driver error, and a lot that may be someone else's fault by assessing and reacting properly.

But the thing is that most riders, especially new ones, don't have that experience and even then it's inherently more dangerous because you are more exposed, and if somebody else is an idiot and you're collateral, it's gonna hurt a lot more than if you were in a car.
If you think you're mature enough to stay within your limits then no it's not the death trap people make it out to be.
>>
>>14499202
I started on a gsxr 600 and my friend started on a cbr 1000rr.
Respect the power and you'll be okay
>>
>>14499389
thank you, but it's not like I would pull up to the light, driving in between cars at 60 mph. If anything I would come to a stop, inspect the space I have between the cars and proceed if there is enough space AND if there is a worthwhile amount of time to be saved/if the light just turned red
>>
>>14499395
Untrue, if you're sitting in traffic on the highway going 5-10mph and the cunt behind you is texting and drinking her skinny mocha frape late and doesn't pay attention cause she's updating face-space. Suddenly, you're the gooey membrane that holds the two vehicles together after she doesn't see that traffic is stopping.

Yeah, I think I'll split. But, to each their own.

>>14499418
250 isn't a terrible bike, especially since he said he is going to be doing a lot of city riding
>>
>>14499458
>5-10 mph
That's what stand still traffic means stupid.

>>14499456
DONT EVER SPLIT CARS unless sitting in rush hour traffic. Even then, do it sparingly. There is no reason to cut in front of people at lights. All you will do is piss of drivers that will ride your ass and stop focusing on driving and start focusing on you. You have no idea how mad people get at bikes out there. Just stay in your fucking spot and drive.
>>
>>14499474
standstill implies not moving, whereas 5-10mph implies constant movement.
Unfortunately, we live in a time where everyone is too distracted when they drive that sitting in line is just as risky. May as well take your life into your own hands, unless of course you live in a shithole that doesn't allow it
>>
>>14499448
Anyone CAN start on that bike but there is a reason not to
>you will never learn to ride the bike to it's limit
(inb4 your special or some stupid shit)
>you don't need that speed when you are new to it unless you are a yoloswaggotfaggot
>insurance is very high in comparison
>replacement cost is high in comparison
>it's easier to make a mistake on them
>they are heavier
>they rely a LOT on LEANING the bike to get around sketchy turns/situation (obv all bikes do, but you need to have major confidence on a sport bike to lean it far)
>on a 600rr the torque can fuck you up around a turn if you don't know what you're doing
>the brakes are VERY good and take getting used to
>the potential to drive too fast is too much to resist for 99.9% of people

There is no REASON to start on a, basically, race bike for the streets. When I was in my early 20's I was already riding for 10 years. I was FLYING past dudes on my 600rr while they were on 1000's (on the bends). And I wasn't even riding hard. Only try hards start on big bikes. And guess what the most commonly wrecked sports bikes are? 600's and 1000's.

Most Likely to be Crashed
Suzuki GSX-R Series
Kawasaki Ninja Series
Suzuki TLR
Yamaha YZF Series
Honda CBR Series
>>
>>14498888
There's people who ride with flip flops that doesn't mean it's ok. Full gear is gonna cost you at least around 1000.
>>
>>14499448
you might "survive" but youll most likely end out a shitty rider
>>
>>14499563
>not having glorious shifter wear on your croc
>>
>>14499448
>Respect the power and you'll be okay

Anyone who spouts this is a fucking idiot.

Sure, you'll respect the power. Maybe for a month, maybe for two or three, it doesn't matter. But the point I'm making is you'll respect the power right up until you don't.

And then you start getting cocky and making dumb decisions which given the right (or wrong) situations could be deadly.

Your first bike is not your last so hold out on getting a supersport until you're ready for it (hint: you're not ready for one if you think maxing out a bike in a straight line is using all its capabilities).
>>
>>14498784
>Is it really that dangerous to drive one?

Words of wisdom...

No matter how safely you ride, you can't control the actions of other drivers.
>>
>>14498834
>just because he's my dad, doesn't mean he knows everything
Spoken like a true angsty teen
>>
>>14499202
>The blue kawasaki in the original post is a 250r which is 250 cc if I'm not mistaken?
Please do some thorough research before you buy something.
>>
>>14498888
>what and how much gear would you need that totals up to 2000 bucks?
Believe me... It adds up.

>I've seen people on them who just wears a tshirt, sweatpants, skate shoes, helmet and gloves.
Yes, and they all get shit on by serious riders. Don't be THAT guy.

>I'm sure that isn't the smartest way to do things but still.
...but still, what? It's incredibly stupid. That first slide on the pavement will change your tune.

>I live in california so riding conditions aren't a problem.
For the most part, yes. Though the roads can get pretty slick when rain eventually comes through and dislodges all the oils and other gunk that's been sitting for weeks/months.
>>
File: motogpstarterpack.jpg (65KB, 834x734px) Image search: [Google]
motogpstarterpack.jpg
65KB, 834x734px
>>14499563
>boot
>jacket
>gloves
>helmet
Easily had for $500. You don't need fucking name brand moto gp shit.
>>
>>14499708
>mesh jacket
>riding shoes
>mesh gloves
>no pants
>>
File: 20040501125700_redhorse_meshtex.jpg (16KB, 288x297px) Image search: [Google]
20040501125700_redhorse_meshtex.jpg
16KB, 288x297px
>>14499721
>mesh jacket is plenty safe
>shoes cover the ankle ball, that's all that matters
>mesh gloves are perfectly safe for regular riding
>pants cost like $60

LOL dude how cucked are you for full race leathers? Kill yourself. All the mesh stuff is tested and safe. You aren't taking your shitty street bike to 205 mph on a straight on a track.
>>
>>14499778
>>14499721
>simple lowside with mesh
>can never wear the mesh again since its so torn up
inb4 you claim you shouldnt crash as any newbie will lowside at least 3 times
>>
File: topkek3.png (208KB, 327x316px) Image search: [Google]
topkek3.png
208KB, 327x316px
>>14498862
>I watched a woman change lanes and clip a guy on a bike
anybody who gets clipped by a car drive as a motorcylce is being dumb as fuck. I always ride staggered to the car lanes beside of me AND I always move around in my lane so people know I am present. It also helps having a loud and large bike with colors that pop out.
>mfw bikers expect cars to care for them
>mfw watching someone running a red light smash the biker who decided to just go even though the car obviously wasn't slowing
>>
>>14499797
That wasn't a low side pic stupid. And if you wreck with leather you need to replace it too. Are you fucking retarded?

>i'll keep arguing instead of accepting I'm wrong
It's okay baby boy. You'll grow up one day.

And even if you want to be a faggot, you can get leather gloves and jackets for the same price or more or less. I just clicked on the first things on the page. So feel free to cry elsewhere.
http://www.endurowanderer.de/pdf/kombitest.pdf

I'm not saying they are BETTER than leather, but for normal riding it's more than enough.
>>
>>14499816
>slow low side*
>>
Cheap gear, so long as it has passed whatever certification your region has, is just fine for normal riding, ie:commuting.

And it's definitely better than clothes.
>>
>>14499816
>And if you wreck with leather you need to replace it too.
not the guy you're talking to but that is 100% wrong. some of the guys i run at track days with are wearing suits that've gone through multiple outings and have just been repaired and patched up a bit. leather one piece suits are incredibly resilient.
>>
>>14499838
I'm pretty sure we were talking about regular leather jackets, not full on race suits. Race surfaces are MUCH MUCH smoother than street surfaces. Sure you can patch leather, but it's moot because that cost money and obviously his objection was about the cost in that case.
>>
>>14499816
>thinks im the same guy you were originally replying to
dude I ride with mesh during the summer because I live in a place that's hot and rainy and I can tell you they easily rip. Meanwhile some of my friends wear leather and they always get back up with the same gear fine.
>>
>>14499838
Also forgot to add, most street leather doesn't meet the same regulation standards as race leather. So it's not as tough. But the entire point is that for a street bike you don't need to run around in full leathers.
>>
Jews.
>>
>>14499845
i ride around in a full 2 piece a* suit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

if i ever have a slow accident i'll just ship off my suit to be patched up by some leather woman

that being said you can get a full set of reasonable gear for $600-ish.
>>
Considering most people won't crash every day, you can start by getting the most important things and buy the rest as money comes along. Within a year or so you should have full gear.
>>
>>14499846
>you wreck so much with your friends that they you keep replacing jackets and your friends keep wrecking and have the same old jacket
No one believes you.
>>
>>14499845
>regular leather jackets
regular ANYTHING will tear right through on a lowside

the most important thing is armor anyway because anyone who actually crashed can tell you the damage tends to be concentrated in a few areas
>>14499853
why be dumb with your life skimping on armor?
>>
>>14499857
Again, I'm not saying you can't, I'm saying you don;t NEED to. And gear doesn't have to cost $1-$2k to keep you safe. That other faggot just kept trying to move the goal post.
>>
>>14499865
I wrecked twice and I have multiple friends who take their bike to the track and ride aggressive on the streets

every "wreck" has been a lowside
>>
>>14499622
That doesn't make him wrong, though.
>>
>>14499867
No one is talking about armor faggot. Go away.
>>
>>14499871
No one is listening to your stupid shit. You don't have to have leathers on the street. End of story. You don't have to spend 1k or 2k to get safe gear for the street. End of story.

>inb4 you confuse have to with can
>>
>>14499873
>No one is talking about armor faggot. Go away.
found the no bike
>>
File: ded.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
ded.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>14499878
you don't have to wear protective gear at all
>>
File: n8umjWj.png (3KB, 698x1284px) Image search: [Google]
n8umjWj.png
3KB, 698x1284px
>>14499880
>discussing mesh and leather jackets
>hurrr guize armor!!!! armor! armor!
>we're not talking about that
>I was just pretending to be retarded
>>
>>14499884
>grasping at straws and moving goal posts all at once\

it's okay to be wrong
>>
>wipe out at 70 mph
>worst i get is a 3rd degree burn and sore jaw
>was wearing a beater, moccasins, and pajama pants.

It's really all about how you go down. Drink milk though, seriously i should have broke so many bones but i didn't because i drink chocolate milk all the time.
>>
File: motorbike.jpg (739KB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
motorbike.jpg
739KB, 2448x2448px
>>14499890
>>14499892
>he thinks its all just one person arguing against him even though the unique posters go up
>>
>>14499870
a lot of the youngins on the 4chins are quite hot heads and take their ATGATT very seriously.

for a novice, i think that's completely appropriate because you probably don't understand the full risks or dangers posed by riding, and your exponentially more likely to wreck, so pushing noobs to get all the gear they possibly can and wear it all the time is the reasonable course of action. in example, OP should most definitely gear the fuck up if he enjoys his skin and joints - he's young now and probably doesn't consider what life would be like if he has grafts all over his legs and arms.

textile gear isn't ideal in most cases - it can have the same impact protection as inserts don't change much between exterior materials but his abrasion resistance will be quite shit. They also have lots of great, breathable leather jackets now that offer a good compromise of breathability vs abrasion resistance, and there isn't really any reason to not get one. For pants, I'd agree leather isn't necessary. I've had friends who lowsided at 35mph get up just fine wearing kevlar jeans - but those aren't exactly "cheap" at nearly $160 a pair.

:^) either way, OP should probably budget for a good jacket, gauntlets, kevlar jeans, riding boots, and a SNELL certified helmet.
>>
>>14499901
Precaution all you want, it'll only do so much when some dumb bitch on her phone pulls out in front of you.
>>
>>14499884
No gear will save you from a truck. Dude should have shoulder checked that's day 1 shit
>>
>>14499901
>6 months
>I'm a professional and can talk about the dangers of motorcycles.

Pretty sure this is a troll.
>>
>>14499914
>Dude should have shoulder checked that's day 1 shit
Holy fucking this, it's not enough just to look in your tiny ass mirrors either.
>>
The only thing dangerous about it is that you have to predict other shitty drivers intentions. Also the fact that you're young and will probably go wot like half the time you're on it.

If you're going to go the bike route and need it for a DD go ahead and get some solid gear to go with it. I was able to find out of season gear at cyclegear for like 75% that happened to fit me perfect. That and a DOT+Snell cert helmet online. Had some boots that I could use for a daily. Only real thing I'm missing is pants at this point.

>>14499202
I started on a 600rr which is considered supersport. Honestly it was so much better in every way than the shitty MSF bikes and my friend's older bikes.

Just didn't act like a retard and try and ride out of my skill level. I'll admit though that the first time I got on the freeway I was doing like 100 mph before I realized it.

Now that I've had my fair share of SS's and shit bikes I kinda just want a qt grom
>>
>>14499921
Also he should have taken the turn tighter. You're not supposed to go directly onto the highway like that, that's why the merging lane continues for a while, and should there be a need, though that's really unlikely, there's also the emergency lane.
His line was wide, even if he saw the truck he would have had to be quick and skilled to close it fast enough.
>>
>>14499942
>Also the fact that you're young and will probably go wot like half the time you're on it.
>doesn't go WOT all the time
kek these EFI babbies can't even flood their engines.
>>
so where do think the most motorcycle accidents happen? like the freeway, regular city streets, etc.?

and what about potholes, railroad tracks and other shit like that? are there many other obstacles besides bad drivers?
>>
>>14499884
nigger that was just dumb
>obvious lack of control of bike
>accelerating while looking at gauges
>accelerating into the apex
>no blind spot check on first turn
>in fact no mirror check on first turn
>that completely useless windscreen
>braking in the corner (he literally did the same thing that guy that flew over the rail did minus locking the rear tire)
>losing the apex

I really hope the title represents his present state though: what a fucking cunt.

>I am soo glad I was wearing all my gear to protect me from being a colossal retard Vs road rash from an actual accident
See cause this is the argument presented: "I hate gear cause its for fags" or "my gear makes me superman"... find a happy medium without being fucking sanctimonious to every other rider you pass.
>>
>>14500002
That depends. The wide grid like american streets are different to the twisty narrow european streets.
Generally I would say the city since most accidents involve other traffic.
>>
>>14499613
>Anyone who spouts this is a fucking idiot.

People say this because it's fucking true. Don't be a retard and go balls to the wall on a race replica.
>>
>>14499952
Not ignoring the yield sign would have been helpful too.
>>
>>14500006
>>14499914
>>14499921
>>14499952
>>14501143
>people still fall for the ole drop anon
lmao guys it's 2016
>>
>>14501143
where the fuck do you see a yield sign?
>>
>>14501169
There's a 60,000lb yield sign right in front of him right before he crashes.
>>
>>14500822
Clearly you are a fucking idiot.

Power isn't the only aspect of why a supersport is bad for a new rider. Sure, it's a big part of it, but it's not the whole enchilada.

One-finger-stoppie tier brakes are another reason, as is the unforgiving nature of the bike in general. It wants to go fast, it doesn't need some fumbling newbie chopping the throttle mid-turn or hamfisting the brakes in panic because since soccer mum pulled out in front of him and he has nowhere to go.

Supersports are designed for people who know what they're doing, people who aren't likely to make silly mistakes we all have probably made at one point or another as new riders. Not someone who has never touched a bike before.
>>
>>14498912
But alpinestars is shit gear though.

If you have to buy expensive shit get Dainese.
>>
i crash every year once a year because i'm pretty reckless

it's always my fault

never serious

i squid sometimes, like after work when it's a million billion degrees out and 100% humidity.. nobody got time for dat..

i've crashed squidding, road rash and broken bones suck so it's smart to have gear but i always wear good gloves and the worst injuries i've sustained are to my hands so there's that

small bikes are fun as fuck.. my fave right now is my toofiddy..
>>
>>14498784
Get a bike, but not at 18. When you're 24, get a 125cc bike and become accustomed to it. Ride it in parking lots and practice maneuvers.
>>
>>14501415
>>14498784
Also the greatest bit of advice I can give is this:

DO NOT WEAVE THROUGH TRAFFIC
Ride as if you're driving a car. Stay in place in traffic and do not cut anyone off.

You'll survive.
>>
>>14501396
>I mash the brakes and twist the thottle all the way.

Get fucking real, stop projecting your lack of control on to others and get gud on bikes. Balls to the wall doesn't mean just power, it also means not mashing your brakes like a madman and knee dragging every goddamn turn.

OP careful on sportbikes, you can get them right off the bat, but know that it can and will kill you if you never been in a performance car.
>>
File: 1455981222999.jpg (67KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
1455981222999.jpg
67KB, 500x374px
>>14501415
>When you're 24, get a 125cc bike
>>
>>14501495
>implying he doesn't speak the truth.
>mental maturity and self-control is most important when getting a bike.
>>
>>14501463
>but know that it can and will kill you if you never been in a performance car
Thinks driving a performance car is anywhere near as dangerous as a race bike...
>>
>>14499872
OP arguing with dad about the bikes being dangerous... How is the dad wrong?
>>
>>14467143
If you live anywhere near a city your chances of death go up exponentially.

If you live in bumfuck nowhere and have nice weather all year round, then it's not horribly dangerous.

Your going to lay the bike down at some point. Where do you want to be when you do it and how fast do you want to be going?
>>
It really is massively more dangerous than a car. But then it's also massively more fun, and massively less money.

YOLO.
>>
>>14499202
Unless you're spending a lot of time on the highway there's literally no advantage to a big bike.

The market for smaller sport bikes has also really improved, with a lot of them moving to 300 and 350cc. They're plenty fast for even fast highways, just not particularly comfortable there.
>>
>>14499380
I'd love a set of those lights for a dual sport. Any idea what they cost?
>>
What gear should I wear on a supermotard?
I feel like leathers would look out of place..
>>
>>14502255
Monster Energy hat, tanktop, and camo shorts
>>
>>14501463
>this is horrible advice
>can /= should

You are dumb. And I'm guess under 22?
>>
>>14501463
>get a sport bike but dont drive it like a sport bike and it will be fine
>it would be stupid to get something smaller and drive it normally
This is what yoloswaggotfaggots actually think. We all know you buy one to show off and or go fast. That's the only reason to get one as a first bike. It's also why the main sports bikes are the most often wrecked bikes despite being some of the least sold bikes.
>>
>>14502237
Sorry bro, I just have that pic saved. I drive a 1000rr and a trail bike.
>>
>>14498832
$2000? Are you serious?

I have RST leather jacket, RST leather trousers, some Spidi gloves and a Shoei lid. Total cost around £500 or so.
>>
>>14499418
Pussy
>>
>>14498784
>>dad says: "don't, it's too dangerous"
WUSS!!!
>>
>>14499474
>DONT EVER SPLIT
Don't be a gay
>>
On the freeway a 125 is more dangerous than a 650.
>>
Get a bike if you think it's what you want, but make sure you budget for quality riding gear and dress for the crash instead of the ride.

Don't skimp out on boots. I would almost rather ride with boots and no helmet than a helmet and no boots, I wouldn't want to live through some of the injuries that I've seen people get when riding in sneakers.

Make sure you don't throw away your relationship with your father by buying a bike. You're right that just because he's your dad, it doesn't make him automatically correct about everything all the time, but being able to ride isn't worth burning a bridge like that.
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.