[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you ever considered that you might have bought the wrong car?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 15

File: 1454996736731.jpg (62KB, 309x305px) Image search: [Google]
1454996736731.jpg
62KB, 309x305px
>>
>>14487202
3g eclipse, such a piece of shit. Sold it, bought a 924
>>
>wanted to buy my first manual
>got cucked by my family and myself several times
>didn't buy Saab Viggen because closest Saab mechanic was 2 hours away
>didn't buy nice RX-8 with recently changed motor because my schedule was not fit for the rotary life
>didn't buy a low km 350Z because I fell for the "RWD doesn't work in snow" meme
>sidegraded to a Lancer GTS instead

It's drives alright, gets good mileage, and has a solid 5spd tranny, but I would have liked more powah. It's gutless.
>>
>>14487228
>didnt buy saab viggen because closest saab mechanic was 2 hours away
How can you be this useless needing an exclusive mechanic to change your oil or any other menial task?
>>
>>14487239
Obviously I can do the menial stuff just fine, but I don't have nearly enough knowledge or experience to fix it if something breaks.
>>
I bought a 95 civic. A week later everything started falling apart
>>
>>14487306
you shouldn't have eaten all those spicy tacos then
>>
Other than I need to manual swap it no
>>
>>14487342
>tfw need to rwd swap my car
>>
I just bought a 2007 Impala for 5k with 100k miles. Mainly regret it because I miss having a manual.
>>
>>14487350
stop following me everywhere on /o/
>>
>>14487361
who r u
>>
I sold a 6 cyl VT commodore for a wrx.
Want the soulless shopping getter back.
Better comfort, can tow, did skids, cup holders everywhere. WRX is a seriously boring car.
and inb4 hurr durr off road... commodore was better at that too.
>>
I always buy the wrong car, that's what makes them fun
>>
>>14487363
the anon you keep replying to

it's like you're trying to be my internet gf
>>
>>14487369
I'm the man in the relationship
>>
>>14487369
>>14487378
Hey I got dibs on anons tight little asshole.
You find your own indistinguishable anon!
>>
I have a 2006 Sti.
I wish I would have bought a rwd merican v8 sometimes mainly a 03-04 cobra, c6 Vette or a srt8 challenger.
Kinda just want something more aggressive and faster
>>
>>14487202
While I am happy with my vehicles, I am in the market to add a new vehicle to my garage.. and I am absolutely terrified of purchasing the 'wrong' one.
>>
>>14487384
Tongue punch my fartbox
>>
>>14487251
Learn.
Youll save some shekels
>>
Bought an '89 5.0 Fox Body.
Shitty gas mileage, loud, half the interior is missing, no A.C.
I bought it because i always wanted a race car.
In reality I should have bought a Camry.
>>
>>14488065
I don't know what you expected m8

You have to put $5000 into one at least before you get a proper race car
>>
>>14488065
>car shopping
>go check out a 93 cobra fox
>absolutely horrible
>heavy ass clutch
>loud as fuck
>good torque but didn't really feel fast
>shifter was atrocious

I still want one
>>
>>14488081
Why?
>>
>>14488081
Mine is re-geared with 3.90's. Rips hektik skids but that's about all it's good for. Maxes out at around 110. Driving in the rain is a nope.
>>
>>14488086
I want to build a fast straight line car. I really want a notchback.

I already have a daily driver with good handling
>>
>>14487202
Traded a WRX for a Focus ST. I only started to regret it once winter hit.
>>
File: myfeet.jpg (52KB, 460x401px) Image search: [Google]
myfeet.jpg
52KB, 460x401px
I wanted to own an fwd vehicle to experience the good and bad that comes with different drivetrains. Being an idiot like I am I spent $2000 on a shitbox 1993 prelude with no resale value.. a week later my truck's engine blew up and now I'm stuck with a shitty Honda :(
>>
>>14487205
>sold piece of shit
>bought other piece of shit
>>
>>14488256
Don't worry, after a few months the cognitive dissonance will take over and you'll swear up and down that FWD is the best

Until you can afford RWD/AWD anyway
>>
>>14487202
No, because I made my decision carefully. Maybe I overspent a bit, but the only issue was not getting the extended warranty to cover services and tire replacements.
Assuming it would have covered those.
>>
File: 20160205_151241.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160205_151241.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>14487202
I bought the right car, from the wrong people.

2007 Mercedes e350. I've had it for about a year and a half, more than 8 grand of repairs have been put into it, and it's still not right. Doesn't help that the shop I brought it to was a bunch of idiots.

And before somebody says I should have done it myself, I wasn't going to replace the balance shift in the driveway of my apartment.

The idiots at the shop also replaced the timing chain and not the tensioner, so when it starts now it sounds like a fucking diesel. The exhaust hanger things have completely rusted away, so it makes a loud clanking noise now. I'll be fixing that bit soon, but my fucking ramps and Jack are 400km away from where I am now...

I should have bought a shitty fucking 4cyl city car. My 04 Canyon has been the fucking pinnacle of reliability for the past 3 years I've owned it. With the exception of basic maintenance and a u joint replacement all of which I was able to do myself, she has never failed me.
>>
>>14487202
>240sx
All the time
>>
>>14489209

Obviously if the balance shaft didn't fix the problem you wouldn't have need to do that anyway.
>>
File: piece of shit.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
piece of shit.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>14489209
Completely wrong picture, but that shit's nasty. Who the fuck thought that'd be a good idea.

Anyway, pic related. My piece of shit i shouldn't have bought.
>>
I do regret not waiting an extra year for the 1LE to be announced, but at this point it doesn't matter.
>>
>>14489231
Balance shaft did fix some of the problems. It needed to be replaced in the first place.

Problem was, the shop it was brought to had never really worked on my car, or done a balance shaft replacement so they were "learning as they went". I didn't know any of that until it was far too late.

I brought it to that shop because the warranty wouldn't cover the full price of the work, but the stealership i bought it from guaranteed that they would cover the remaining balance. The only problem was that's the only shop they'd cover it at.

From what i understand though, both of them are pieces of shit. The shop still never got the remaining balance from the dealership.
>>
>>14488081
I supposedly have a Hurst short shifter linkage in mine, haven't looked at it yet but its throws are really short. 10/10 would recommend, you can almost palm it around. There is no fixing the clutch, though. Also rear end gears are a necessity.
>>
>>14489209
It's funny because despite how much /o/ shits on American cars, my 2000 Explorer has always been extremely reliable and good to me. My only complaint is that the interior was built out of dollar store plastic and it creaks and rattles a lot.
>>
>>14489268
My truck is the same way, cheap ass plastic and rattles and creaks. The difference is when my canyon is rattling around I'm not worried something is wrong. When the benz rattles, I know something is probably broken somewhere.

Also, the canyon looks the same as the day it was bought, interior looks brand new even if it's all plastic. Easy as he'll to keep plastic trim clean.
>>
File: IMG_8790.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8790.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>14489209
8 grand?? thats crazy man
Currently own this E270CDi and it has been the pinnacle of reliability for us, it was previously owned by my dad for some time. The car is pretty great, really like driving it.
>>
>>14487202

I definitely bought the wrong car. $12k for a spotless '04 TL 6MT 3 years ago, and its been dead nuts reliable. It's far too boring for me and gets me to my destination with minimal excitement and fuel consumption.

I should have bought a beat to shit WRX instead and suffered the financial consequences.
>>
>>14489289
It was partially my fault. The generation of e class I bought has an awful problem with the balance shift from factory, a large percentage of them needs to be replaced after about 140k km. I didn't know at the time, and never thought to check it out.

Required the whole engine be removed. That job itself is about 8 grand, it was 6 grand at this shop, but there was another 2k that had to be done for other issues.

I would definitely buy Mercedes again because I love the car. I would make sure to do better research though. And buy a v8
>>
>>14487202

Kindof

I got a 2012 Mustang GT premium in 2013. It's an auto and there are better alternatives but it was 1 year old with 24k miles on it for $22k. Similar Camaro SS's and other cars were either more expensive or way older with more mileage for the same price.

I wish I had a manual and a bit nicer/faster car but I just couldn't beat that price and I've had no mechanical problems in the 3 years I've had the car.
>>
File: 20160202_232149.jpg (921KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20160202_232149.jpg
921KB, 2560x1440px
>>14487228
>350z
>Lancer GTS
>sidegrade

Bro I drive a Lancer GTS and you downgraded.

Still love mine though.
>>
>>14487228
>I fell for the "RWD doesn't work in snow" meme
sorry to hear that bro
>>
most definitely not.
i wanted my DD to be cheap and get the best mileage as possible because im frugal.

i bought a 2000 jetta tdi for $400.
no ragrets
>>
>>14487202
Yes. I bought a suzuki aerio
Absolute trash. Parts are pricey, suspension is garbage, eats tires, no armrest
But for a grand, what can I really say
>>
>>14489234
Are you the anon who had tranny problems and this was your dream car? If so I'm sorry. Your car is still my desktop background.
>>
>>14488065
I've also bought an 89 5.0 Fox.
Interior is hanging off its screws.
I go deaf after a long roadtrip.
The clutch requires all three legs to press.

I fucking love it. Increased heart rate whenever I see it. Currently trying to make it turn.
>>
File: BQQQ9uV9.jpg (262KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [Google]
BQQQ9uV9.jpg
262KB, 1252x1252px
I haven't bought it, but yes, I want to get rid of it.
>>
File: download.jpg (6KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6KB, 275x183px
>>14487239
>>14487228
Hell I wouldn't want to fix one of these by myself either.
>>
File: truck.jpg (1021KB, 2064x1161px) Image search: [Google]
truck.jpg
1021KB, 2064x1161px
>>14490531
Yes sir, i am that same anon.

Tranny still acts weird, not as bad as it was but it's still not fixed.

Cleaned the truck tho. My poor baby's sitting next to her. Can't drive it for a couple weeks until i can bring it 400km's to my dad's garage.

That's cool about the background though, i remember your post.
>>
File: 20151213_162346.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20151213_162346.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
>>14491007
Fucking deleted my fucking post when I attached a picture. Fuck.

So your dad owns a shop too, huh? Last time we talked I was actually on Vancouver Island visiting mine.
>tfw never got to use his pneumatic lift and tools
I was too busy getting drunk while browsing /o/ and playing an old MapleStory private server. I'd post the desktop pic but the laptop is fucked and I'm on my phone. I posted a few threads periodically looking for you, actually, so it's really nice to see you here again.

I still wanna cruise with you and your dream car.

Merry belated Christmas, by the way. I couldn't find you in December to say that.
>pic a little related
I know it's silly but I wished for your car to get better a lot. I still hope it does. I'd love to come and try to sort it out with you, homie.
>>
>>14489305
doesn't the V8 introduce a new palette of problems?
>>
>>14491114
Nothing as nice as a shop, just a nice little double garage under the house. Combined we've got enough tools to work on pretty much anything. He used to be a mechanic.

Something like replacing the balance shaft, or lifting the engine out is a bit beyond what we're willing to do on a car i bought not too long ago.

Haven't been on /o/ too much recently, so probably haven't noticed the threads. Trying out the whole college thing again, so been pretty busy with that. The car's been pretty much parked for about 4 months until i can get some more time to give her some love. It's rough considering what i'm paying to keep it insured.

Anyhow, how's yours treating you?

>>14491182
Yes, but it also introduces more power. The V6 can lay down some impressive power for what it is, and a 0-60 in about 5.5 seconds on a perfect day, but it's no V8.
>>
>>14491203
Still, it's good to have a sanctuary. I've done the last bits of maintenance on the street with Jack stands.

Can't you transfer the insurance to the truck or cancel it altogether? Or even transfer it to a 300 dollar shitbox if that's not possible, then sell the shitbox. Not sure how things work down there but this would work in Canada.

I'm excited for you, going back to college... that's awesome. What are you taking?

My girl's fine. She really badly needs a cut polish and I'll be doing that in the spring. Currently I'm about to do a big overhaul. I'm doing:
4 new shocks with bushings
4 new brake pads with new fluid and bleed
New tie rod ends
New upper and lower ball joints
Greasing half shaft u joints (common neglect point, getting a bit of a clunk)
New transmission filter and starting the gradual switch to synthetic, also cleaning magnets
Making and adding some shims for the steering rack (they came on the supercharged versions but are unavailable to buy) to tighten things up
Replacing a few minor interior bits and a burnt illumination module (have to pull a fuse to get the lights off)
Pretty excited because it will drive like new. Bushings are all ok for now.

I'm going to do this in a Chinese parkade and finish it off with a nice long cruise to vaporwave. I'm thinking of making a thread while doing it for some company but I doubt anyone on /o/ cares. Most people here dislike my car.
>>
>>14491311
I'm in eastern Canada, i'm not sure how insurance works.

I've been thinking more and more of buying a shitbox and transfering insurance over to it, but the biggest problem is storage. Want to see if my dad would be okay with me keeping the benz at his garage.

At the same time though, i'd be paying monthly on a car i'm not driving.

As far as college goes, taking accounting. Should have went back into comp-sci though.

Looks like you're set for a little while with your car, going to be a busy start of the summer. Always nice though when you get it all done and she's riding nice.

If i wanted to get my car in tip top it'd be quite a bit more though. Would need:

>suspension work all around
>new wheels, or resurfaced wheels
>few bits of interior trim
>engine taken out, timing chain tensioner replaced
>all the shitty sealant the shop put on the engine replaced
>transmission looked at, most likely new conductor plate installed
>new welds for the exhaust hangers
>some new trim for the engine bay
>new air filters
>new blower motor for the AC / heat
>hood and front bumper re-painted

There's probably more that i didn't list, all together though even doing all the work myself i'd need to spend about 4-5k plus the cost of a few new tools for removing the engine.

At this point i've been thinking about seeing if i could trade her in for a shitbox, just to reduce the payments and get it out of my hair. Pay off the shitbox in a couple years and try again.

Really need to get my own place with a garage though.
>>
>>14487202
yes a 1988 jeep Cherokee xj for 500 dollarydoos

i needed a shit box to get too and from work after the 300zx shat out on me and i found it a steal.

but fuck me was everything else falling apart but the motor almost lol

only thing the motor had was a shit gasket that leaked water when i was done with it. i needed to pull the motor or lift the car up to replace it.

it had electrical issues out the ass and most of the interior was stolen at one point and i had to leave the door unlock since it had no door key or leave the smoker windows open lol. it had a shit load of other problems like a broken front axle. so i never used the 4x4

it wasn't for me but i needed it at the time. and finnaly sold it for 50 buck to the local pick and pull to make space for the 240sx
>>
>>14491367
No way... I'm in accounting too.

I think if you transfer the insurance to a shitbox and sell the shitbox, you can just cancel the insurance plan. Hell, I'm pretty sure you can just cancel it outright. In BC you can. You are paying monthly for it, still?

I don't think you should sell her. You'll learn more if you keep her and brace it. You have a bond with the car, right? That's quite a bit of work but you'll have to do that if you get another of the same car, too, eventually. I wish you lived closer because my dad has an engine hoist, a tire tool and lathe, and lots of other helpful tools, paints and fluids. Even has a ventilated spray booth. I wish you luck, Benz bro. Try to post here whenever you decide what to do with her
>>
>>14491465
Yeah, i can outright cancel the insurance, main thing is i've been spoiled with two vehicles, don't want to just go back to one.

It just hurts to think how much i'll have to put into it in order for it to run right again. I am bonded to her though, she's my baby still but.

A broken baby. Seem every time i get her running smooth something else goes wrong. It'll be a completely new car before it runs right again.

Wouldn't be bad if i had a garage to work on it every time something breaks, but as it is now i've got nowhere to work on it. I refuse to take it to another shop after my last experience.
>>
File: 20150704_183053.jpg (975KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20150704_183053.jpg
975KB, 2048x1152px
>>14491540
The way you talk about her... don't give up, man. Things can't just keep going wrong. It's your baby. That alone makes it different than any other E class. That makes it more than worth it. Tough it out.

Make friends with someone who has a garage, ask a neighbour, or rent a garage. I don't want to see you throw the car away. Think about what it will be like when it's fully refreshed. Think about the feeling of the road and the smoothness of the shifts. Imagine the induction noise mated to your premium sound system. You could be going anywhere and the car would calm your nerves. Think about that relaxing interior. You don't want to get rid of it. You know more history of this car than any of those stranger Benzes you could be buying. Why change?

Can I get an interior pic by any chance? This is the car that inspired my love for woodgrain. My neighbour has a blue one with grey interior and walnut.
>>
File: carint2.jpg (250KB, 1041x781px) Image search: [Google]
carint2.jpg
250KB, 1041x781px
>>14491643
It's an old shot, but here's the interior.

Also a big fan of the wood trim.
>>
>>14491923
Beautiful, anon. Don't tell me you'd ever want to get rid of that...

This is coming from a guy who dislikes Mercs. Please keep her. I know it's tough and seems irrational now. But even if you have to replace everything, there's nothing that wears down in under 5 years except for wear items.
>>
>>14487202
i bought a 2000 sunfire for 1500$ recently. only thing i dont like about it is the 3 speed. other than that its a total meme that people say J bodies are bad. the 2200 is so easy to maintain.
>>
>>14487228
>took a lan with EVO DELETE over a z33
>>
>>14489780
Lancer GTS is not an downgrade from a Cobalt, m8
>>
>>14492329
Yep.

>sold my car
>needed my dad to drive me around to find a new one
>check out a Nissan dealer to see what they have
>he asks one of the employers how 350's are in the snow
>he is told it's "terrifying"
>find a Fairlady with only 60,000km going for 11,000 CAN on Kijiji a couple hours away
>won't take me

I'm sure a set of Blizzaks on a Z33 would have been just fine.
>>
>>14492372
He's fucking high mine went fine. Just like any other mid weight rwd.
>>
>>14492372
>Listening to a boomer
>Getting cucked by your dad literally in every sense of the term in every language on earth
>Being scared of a little snow and not knowing that its the tires that matter not the big dick V6
>>
>>14492082
My wallet can wear down, lol.
>>
>>14487388
Those cars are just a smidge faster while the sti can out handle them easily

0-60 in 4.6 seconds really not fast enough for you?
>>
File: IMG_20160108_140508.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160108_140508.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
Nope, not even once. I love it to death and wouldn't trade it for anything.
>>
Im looking heavily at the mustang ecoboost premium... but part of me feels that if I get that, ill be posting in a thread like this wishing for the GT. Cons of GT, 5k more, average 16mpg and insurance. But fuuuck. Ecoboost is quick no doubt. Its just... i hate regrets.
>>
File: 1439163892485.jpg (2MB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1439163892485.jpg
2MB, 1920x1280px
2014 Mustang GT

It is pigfat and the ergos are out of whack. I feel like I'm driving a truck.

Cayman S will be its replacement
>>
I'm pretty happy with my 300zx but I also have a Focus Electric and Yamaha R1 for backups when I have to offline it for repairs
>>
>>14493413
i read up that eco boost engines are failing due to carbon build up so look that shit up and make an educated decision
>>
>>14490660
lolwut
>>
File: image.jpg (802KB, 3543x2353px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
802KB, 3543x2353px
>>14490808
The Draken is much easier to work on yourself
>>
>>14489209
to be honest, it sounds more like your shop is both incompetent AND ripping you off hard
>>
>>14492394
Getting cucked means unknowingly raising another man's child, everything else is a 4chan definition from after 2014
>>
>>14487202
Nope.
I don't impulse buy vehicles.
They are the right car for me at the time of purchase.
>>
>>14493462
It's grandpa's old car, he gave it to me last year. I would've sold it much earlier but I'll continue driving for another few months until my sister finishes school and I can give it to her.
>>
>>14494525
>I can give it to her.
Blue board
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.