[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question about filling out a pink slip

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 3

File: pink slip help.png (2MB, 855x995px) Image search: [Google]
pink slip help.png
2MB, 855x995px
So I recently bought a bike off of craigslist, and the guy gave me the pink slip and said that he never put any of his information on it because less owners is better than more, however, on the pink slip it says that it was sold on 12-17-15, with the signature of the person that sold it to him

so basically should I fill it out that I bought it from that person on 12-17-15 or should I say that I bought it 5 days ago which is the truth? Will I get a fine or something because it would look like I didn't bring it in to the DMV within 10 days? I will upload a photo of what was filled out, any help is appreciated, I'm not sure what to do. Pic related is exactly what's filled out.
>>
who cares my man,
they're not going to get an FBI agent to find out exactly what day and time you bought your 1992 toyota corolla
>>
>>14477713
So basically the guy doesn't actually own it?

Enjoy your stolen bike, OP.
>>
>>14477723
He is flipping the bike.

Be very careful looking over it. He bought it cheap and is selling it to you for a profit (cheaper to keep the original title, and not pay for registration. Also many states limit the number of vehicles you can sell each year without a business license).
>>
>>14477723
Might not be stolen. Could be rebuilt after a non-reported accident, could have a lien, could have a bunch of DMV back-fees. OP will now have to go to the DMV and find out.
>>
>>14477722
right but when it takes you over a month to register a vehichle you get a fine that is like 60% of registration cost for that year

is there a way to tell them that I bought it recently, or what? Or should I just fill it out that I got the pink slip on 2/12/16, or that I bought it from that guy on 12-17-15?

>>14477748
So should I tell them I bought it from someone who flipped it or what?
>>
File: 1442190705912.jpg (9KB, 246x204px) Image search: [Google]
1442190705912.jpg
9KB, 246x204px
>>14477713
so he bought a motorcycle and never put it in his name?
so how did he insure it or ride it and shit and even then the owner would still be flooded with registration papers unless he put it on non op

was it stolen and he somehow got a copy or original of the pink slip.

could be dude didnt want to pay none of the fees and shit and wanted to dick around

could be you're going to jail if you try to register it.
>>
>>14477713
Pretty sketchy.
You might have to pay a fee for registering late. It's an increasing amount the longer you wait as I remember it.
>>
File: 1454914304637.jpg (11KB, 236x285px)
1454914304637.jpg
11KB, 236x285px
>>14477777
>>
>>14477764
he was a mechanic
>>
>>14477802
oh then its this
>>14477743
your still going to get ass reamed with fees and shit sadly.
>>
>>14477817
just looked up the vin and it says it's salvage

i fucked up so bad holy shit, but on the pink slip he gave me it doesn't have an S or anything anywhere, how was I supposed to know I bought a salvage motorcycle wtf?

Cause of loss: Property Damage

wtf do I do, just take it to the DMV and see how much they make me pay? And salvage means I can still ride it right? since he rebuilt it nicely it looks like.
>>
>>14477839
On the vehichle history it doesn't say SALVAGE or anything, it's just blank

like wtf?
>>
>>14477847
i mean on the pink slip it doesn't say salvage, but on free reverse vin check it says it's salvage.

Is that accurate? I'm not sure what to believe, and what to do?

So do I just fill out that I bought it on 2/12/16 and bring it do the DMV and see what they say?
>>
bump pls give advice

this fucked me up pretty bad, I spent all my money on my bike because I need to commute to school. even if it is salvage I can still get it registered to me right?

so fucking anxious right now god damn
>>
>>14477900
seems like he basically bought it and then never registered it. So it will have back fees from not being registered. Also idk if you need to smog with a bike or what in cali but that might be a thing too. Overall though you kinda fucked up with the title status thing. Hope u learn ur lesson OP.
>>
>>14477910
So it's not illegal or anything to sell someone a vehicle that isn't listed as salvage when it is salvage?

I know all sales are final, but isn't that literal fraud?
>>
relax as long as it rides straight its fine

and slavage titles cant be fully insured or some shit like that.

it probably got fucked by that owner so when he got rid of it to the mechanic he didnt register it to not pay a business fee and the title or pink slip never got updated

it would be as if you bought it from the original guy, shit is he already dated it.
>>
Also can someone help me decode vehichle engine number

the first digits are ER650 but the last for are 1989

does that mean he put a 1989 engine in it, or is that just a serial? The engine looks new, but did I get fucked over there too?
>>
>Guy wrecks
>Takes bike to mechanic
>Gonna take more than you got to fix it and you already owe me just for looking at it
>Fuck it, you can keep it but I'm recording that it got fucked
>Mechanic fixes it
>Now it's OPs problem
Will likely need inspected and numerous fees paid because commiefornia

http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/salvaged-vehicles.php
>>
>>14477985
so should i kill myself then?

I am actually really depressed now
>>
>>14478000
Trips for an hero.
>>
OP here, pretty mad at the world right now

this is how criminals and villains must be made?

pretty excited to turn this new leaf, I have a new goal of caring only about myself and trying to fuck people over for money

ull c me in the news
>>
>>14478131
Whatever you do, don't lie on the forms, it will just make it worse. Be honest and take your fucking like a man.
>>
>>14477917
Yes, but for the value of the thing your only real recourse would be small claims court.
>>
>>14477900
>so fucking anxious right now god damn

we aren't your parents, and we don't give a fuck about your feelings.

Protip: deal with it
>>
cross the fucking date out and write the new date.
If they ask say you have no clue, you bought it on the 12th. He coulda expected it to get bought and wrote the date in anticipation for all you know and they ended up not buy it. All you know is you bought it on the 12th and anything else is not your problem and not your deal
>>
>>14478267
and don't scribble the old date out, just X it out so they can see the old date clearly still
>>
>>14478267
>>14478321
good idea I will do that
>>
>>14477755
> BILL
>OF
>SALE

VA requires one, whether the title is correct or not.
>>
>>14478358
Think in california the Pink Slip is all you need and works as the bill of sale
>>
>>14478380
VA is the samme way, but if its altered at all. I.E. a x over a price, or something, they require a bill of sale.
>>
>>14478407
ohh i see, so then should i just put that I bought on 2/12 but not X it out?
>>
>>14478420
Don't fucking falsify the forms. Take it to the DMV and tell the truth.
>>
>>14478455
that's not falsifying it, cause i did buy it on 2/12/16

so I will just go and tell the truth, hope i don't get fucked over too bad
>>
i've bought a couple bikes like this

guys buy bikes and never register them .. i don't get it but it's always worked out fine just fill it out like normal, i'm sure no one cares

i have a bike that i haven't registered yet and i don't have a bill of sale for.. i will tell them i traded it for a canoe and not pay tax on it..

with bikes they're a lot more lenient than cars
>>
>>14477713

Scratch out the 1, so it reads 2-17-15.

Then you say they thought it was January still.

Then you say they're stupid for still getting the year wrong in February.

Come on OP
>>
>>14478498
Will do, I don't want to lie and say I traded it though, do you think I could put it down that I bought it for like half as much as I actually paid, or less?
>>
>>14478498
nvm i just read the rest of the thread
>>
> tfw lost my pink slip
;-;
>>
>>14478526
so i shouldn't put that i bought it on the day i actually did or what?
>>
>>14478521
i donno, you say it's a salvage title

do you need mechanic inspections to register bikes in california?
>>
>>14478555
I looked up the vin number and it said it was salvage

so maybe it;s not anymore since it doesnt say so on the title?
>>
Damn OP I wish someone on /o/ was capable of giving you some kind of legal advice, considering this is a worst case scenario when it comes to buying used.

If I were you, I would want my money back. Accuse him of fraud. You didn't agree to buying a salvaged vehicle. Pretty sure it's not legal to sell what's basically a false title. Also, what if that piece of shit doesn't pass smog? Or is that only cars? Because it's definitely illegal to sell a car that's not smogged without agreeing to it.

Fuck it, try filing a police report and then threaten to sue this person if they don't give you your money back. Suing is easy. It's like $50 to have a Sheriff serve someone the court papers, and there it is.
>>
>>14477777
>quints
My goodness, senpai
>>
>>14478579
Do you think it's possible that it got rebuilt or something so it's not longer a salvage title?

Should I take it to the DMV first and see if they tell me I will need to pay a ton of frees for it being salvage?

Since won't they be able to confirm whether or not it is in its current state a salvage title?

Thank you for giving me good advice, I really need it
>>
>>14477764

My friend is Specialized in Rotary engines, he buys nonrunning Rx7's and 8 off craigslist for like 1k and sells them after rebuilding engines for 8-15k
>>
>>14478595
you say he's a mechanic.. i donno the rules in california but where i live a mechanic can clear the title

but if running the vin now says it's salvage than it probably still is salvage
>>
>>14478612
it was a free vin checker and I've heard that they can be very inaccurate

I don't want to pay like $25 for carfax or anything
>>
>>14478595
No, salvage title stays forever in california I'm pretty sure.

Take the title to the DMV and tell them you checked the vin and it's actually a salvage title. Ask them what you can do with your situation.

How much money did you spend? Hopefully it was a cheap ass bike. Did you get any of their information, or do you know where they live? A lot of people take pics of drivers licenses
>>
>>14478630
lol, search for the vin thread in the catalog
>>
>>14477917
of course it is fraud and illegal.
too bad you have no proof he sold you the bike.
dont buy from unlicensed dealers (curbstoners) dont buy unregistered vehicles.

sorry mate. you might not be able to even title the bike depending on state.
>>
>>14478631
I have his phone number and I know where he works and his name, so if it came down to it I'm sure I could find him.

I will take it to the DMV and ask them what to do, spent 3300 which is half my savings lol so that kinda sucks.
>>
>>14478000
Do the same thing. Sell it to some unsuspecting weirdo
>>
>>14478643
>no proof
this is why it's a good idea to screen cap craigslist ads you're making transactions with
>>
>>14478267
that voids the title you idiot lol
>>14478349
DONT DO THIS JESUS CHRIST
>>
>>14478647
>$3300
no fuck that. fight for your money OP, and be wiser next time
>>
>>14478602
At two weeks per car (at most), he's netting $250k per year.
>>
>>14478647
pretty sure commiefornia doesnt title salvage cars you have to get a rebuild title. and to do that you need receipts to show the bike wasnt repaired with stolen parts. which it probably was. plas there are probably hundreds of dollars of fines for the bike not being registered even at best case scenario.

ur fucked out of your money. if you want your cash back ur goona have to fight for it man. literaly.
>>
>>14478728
in op's image, if that title was salvaged, it would say SALVAGED in bold red text inside the box in the upper right corner, so you can still have a title

that's why his situation is pretty fucked up
>>
>>14478650
this or grab a gun and be ready to shoot the fuck who screwed you if you know where to find him.
>>
>>14477743
>many
>all
Ftfy
>>
>>14478746
by law the mechanic is supposed to write VOID across the title and apply for a new salvage one (in my state, i assume CA is the same). multiple levels of scam going on. best hope is OP is confused about the brand and he is just dealing with a curbstone + late registration fees.
>>
>>14478189

If you didn't give a fuck you wouldn't post, poser
>>
>>14478602
>>14478677

this is complete bullshit.
>>
>>14478677

It takes time to find and flip the cars.

>>14478891

No its not, he makes good profit mostly because many rx-8s are bought for girls who never rev them, and treat them like regular cars.

Then once the engine goes they toss them away as junk cars.
>>
>>14478979
No it is complete bullshit. The delta between a broken RX-8 and a running one is only a couple thousand, it barely covers the cost of materials.

If girls are buying them they are probably the low power autos which are worth even less.
>>
>>14477743

you should ahve like a stack of bill of sales to show chain of owner ship. it's normal for flipped/auctioned cars
>>
>>14477910
Bikes are exempt from smog in California.
>>
I have a related question:

I'm buying my first bike and this will also be my first private sale.

I'm a Florida resident, but in California for work (DOD job, so I can still live/register in FL).

I know that I need the following:
Title (pink slip), signed over to me
Bill of sale, also filled out and signed
Florida application for title, filled out by me (including pain-in-the-ass VIN/Odometer verification by police)
Fees (laid out by Florida application for title), including sales tax, registration fee, and mail processing fee
Proof of insurance (to be submitted with application for title), will buy tomorrow when I pay for/pick up the bike.

I know things vary state to state, but are there any glaring omissions?
>>
>>14479601
Also, I know CA tags stay with the vehicle. CAn I legally drive it on the CA registration until my plates come in the mail? I'm under the impression that CA doesn't do 30-day temp tags like some places, just 3-day transport permits.
>>
>>14479614
for cars in commiefornia you get a paper saying you paid and shit and just waiting for them in the mail

you show that if you get pulled over.
>>
>>14479647
Okay, cool. That's something I can get from the local DMV?
>>
>>14479701
yeah you get it when you pay.

also when the police run your plates they can see if you got it up to date and whether or not you got insurance. but you have a bike so shit may be different.

my local auto scene is shit with strict car related penalties do to "side shows".

so i don't know if its the same state wide.
>>
>>14479647
>>14479731
No. He is not registering in California dude. He is not give Cali any money hence no temp tag.
>>14479601
You need to ask someone at work.
>>
>>14479780
At least two people at my work said "you can't buy a car in California and register it somewhere else!", so I don't think I'm going to get too much help there. The people at my local (Florida) tax collectors office seems to be pretty helpful, so I'm hoping they'll steer me straight.

As of now, I plan to just drive it (carefully) with the California plates and carry copies of all the documentation I'm getting and sending off. I plan to have the Application for Title in the mail by Friday. Hopefully I'll have FL plates in two weeks or less.

I've read a good bit about buying cars in CA, and it's intimidating because the rules are so different. I've done the out of state thing with FL before, I bought my truck in SC.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.