[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

memes aside, what transmission does /o/ like better?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 6

File: 1447898960143.jpg (32KB, 600x350px) Image search: [Google]
1447898960143.jpg
32KB, 600x350px
memes aside, what transmission does /o/ like better?
>>
Standard
>>
I like manuals best but I can enjoy automatics just fine too, in the right car.

Never driven a DCT but I'd like to, just for the experience.

I've got a manual mustang gt and an automatic (of course) crown vic at the moment. I enjoy both for different reasons. Well mostly. Both bring me enjoyment in the form of burnouts.
>>
>>14339796

If you have a highly desireable car, being a stick isn't gonna help really. If anything it's a selling point for some of them.
>>
5spd > 6spd > DCT > 4 on floor > 3 on a tree > CVT > auto
>>
All memes aside, I prefer manual for anything but sitting in rush hour traffic
>>
>>14339796
I get bored with automatic driving. I like controlling the engine with a stick, but siding through traffic does get tesious at times.
>>
>>14339878
Cvt is pretty much auto senpai

6spd>5spd>DCT>Autotragic
>>
>>14339796
I have to have a manual because I drive with two feet. With the manual I have the clutch to press when I brake instead.
>>
>>14339960
I drive with two feet regardless. Some people complain about being too heavy on the brake in an auto when coming from a manual but I've had both so long that I can go back and forth between them without issue.
>>
Whatever ride I can get for the best deal transmission aside is the one I like best.

There are some vehicles I'd rather have one or the other in, but it truthfully goes both ways.

>In my life I've own 3 manuals and 3 automatics, and currently own 2 manuals and 1 automatic.
>>
>>14339796
Manual trans whenever possible.

Though I can deal with driving an automatic if it's in something with a V8 and RWD.
>>
Manual, i enjoy the direct drive connection of a clutch.
I like rev matching, shifting gears and engine breaking.
I like beijg able to dump the clutch for smokies.

I also like autos for being lazy and just directing the car where to go.
>>
IDK not donald trump though.
>>
It really depends on the car. /o/ is so entrenched in a black and white argument that they'd buy a manual Mercedes.
>>
>>14339796
Never driven an auto, so I don't know. Manual is fine, in any case - it adds an extra dimension to the experience, I think.
>>
I drive a man and its more fun
but
I sometimes drive an auto v6, and its a comfy luxury, and I dont mind the auto
>>
>>14340852
>comfy luxury v6

What is this, never heard of it?

also anyones captchya loading really slow?
>>
Manual is just more fun. It can make you feel things no auto will.

That being said auto is really the superior transmission now as computers can shift more accurately and preserve more acceleration during shifts than any human being could.

But an automatic 2002 v6 celica will be no fun to drive at all, while a manual just might be.
>>
>>14340856
>What is this, never heard of it?
Subaru outback 3.6R fully loaded, I admit its a cheap luxury, but it feels athentic

and captcha is slow
>>
>>14340781
I almost bought a manual C230 Kompressor once. What would be wrong with that?
>>
File: 1454110261459[1].jpg (23KB, 490x480px) Image search: [Google]
1454110261459[1].jpg
23KB, 490x480px
>>14339796
manual because I am not a cock loving faggot
>>
>>14340916
>grabs a knob and a shaft to drive
>not a cock loving faggot
>>
File: bac-mono-5-753243.jpg (179KB, 1280x936px) Image search: [Google]
bac-mono-5-753243.jpg
179KB, 1280x936px
>>14340970
>2016
>not having sequential manual paddles

stay forever and ever asshurt, autocuck
>>
These memes are dumb because aside from joyrides most thefts are more professional in that the thieves either steal a whole tow rig with trailer, car already on trailer, or roll a car into an enclosed trailer. At the worst most thieves roll a car into an enclosed trailer after driving it a short distance. Thus a manual is actually easier to steal because they can easily kick it out of gear without a key in the ignition. With an auto you'd have to break the shifter. As a side note, no, you're ricer quick release steering wheel is not an anti-theft device either.
>>
>>14340970
>automaticfags can't stop thinking about dicks
>>
The only transmissions that are really "bad" are torque converter automatics and CVTs, and even then torque converters are still decent for drag racing.
>>
>>14341003

>torque converters are still decent for drag racing

What's better than a torque converter for drag racing?
>>
>>14341007
manual planetary transmissions like Lenco ones

autocucks btfo again
>>
>>14341012

Nah. Those were popular for a time to fill a void between 2 speed Powerglide transmissions and 3 or 4 speed autos which at the time wouldn't handle power. But now pretty much all of the quickest drag cars outside of top fuel dragsters and similar (that run direct drive with a slipper clutch) run 2 or 3 speed autos that are fully billet aftermarket units with torque converters based on the TH400. Lencos might seem more fun to you, but they aren't better in the performance since. Most of the guys running Lencos ditched them for the Rossler autos. The Rossler auto with torque converter just kills the Lenco in terms of launching a boosted car.
>>
>>14339796
Manual because autos are everywhere
>>
meme-free post

driving manual is awesome, but when you just want to get home there is no avoiding the clutch pedal. every single drive is always a bit of a chore, especially when you just have to get home 2 miles down the road and theres zero fun to be had. but when the road gets curvy and there are dips and hills and a bit of traffic to pass, then it's a stupidly good time to downshift, upshift, hold a gear til redline, feel the clutch engage and disengage, etc.

a perfect garage would have something like a Cadillac ATS with an auto box and a Mazdaspeed Miata for a nice warm Sunday morning.
>>
>>14341038
>if you leave away the fastest cars then cars dont use Lencos

literally irrelevant
>>
>>14341049
The fastest cars don't have transmissions at all you fucking dipshit. They are direct drive.

literally retarded
>>
>>14341053
>discussing cars with transmissions
>top fuel being relevant

pick 1
>>
>>14341049

What? Top fuel runs slipper style clutches. Basically everything else quick runs an auto with a torque converter. If it's a competitive race car or quicker than 7.00 it probably runs a hydraulic auto with torque converter instead of a Lenco. In the last 5 years I've only seen a Lenco for the nostalgia or for some car with very small displacement that needs to stay in a tight power band. Lencos are garbage compared to a Rossler auto in almost all aspects. Weight, launch, reciprocating mass, size, parasitic power loss and the list goes on. Most of the people who use a Lenco are the same type that use a manual for muh feels.
>>
File: 1452213651862.gif (2MB, 255x234px) Image search: [Google]
1452213651862.gif
2MB, 255x234px
>>14341049
But that's not what he just said you fucking melvin.
>>
>>14341062
You have no idea how to even have a conversation. Let alone what transmissions are the best in drag racing. The answer is torque converter automatics.
>>
>>14341074
>The answer is torque converter automatics.
it isnt tho, the fastest cars use lencos

>t-top fuel
>being relevant
>>
>>14339796

>see really cool car
>decide fuck this shit yolo gonna steal it
>jump inside
>fucking manual?!?
>whatever
>start it up
>stall a couple times and grind gears then haul ass out of there

I'm pretty sure anyone who's got an IQ over 73 can figure out how to get a stick car going at least enough to get it to the chop shop.
>>
>>14339796
Used to own a trip-tonic bmw and went for a manual. Even on the commute I love being engaged with the car. I've only had the manual for ~4 months and it still isn't getting old. I know that isn't that long...
>>
>>14341084
>the fastest cars use lencos
No, no, no. They don't. Go look.
>>
>>14341084

Maybe the fastest cars 10-15 years ago. Now you can build 2-4 speed autos with a torque converter that use 100% billet parts. Cheaper, lighter, quicker, and faster than a Lenco. Like I said the Lenco filled a power void for the time. No it's an antique. Off the top of my head a Lenco car does not hold a record quicker than 8.00 except maybe something highly specialized or in a Lenco only class.
>>
File: 1454000109692.jpg (191KB, 960x849px) Image search: [Google]
1454000109692.jpg
191KB, 960x849px
Sequential
>>
>>14339796
Clutchless manual
>>
>>14339796
If I lived in the country or an area with a lot of highway and long stretches of road I would get a manual without question.

I however live in the city and most of my driving is in traffic and not only is Automatic so much less hassle, I also don't have to worry about my clutch wearing out.
>>
>>14339796
I like my manual ranger, but I love cruising in my bronco with the top off with an automatic, on and off road. It feels nice to relax once in a while
>>
6 speed > 5 speed > DCT > Regular Auto in 5 or 6 or above speeds > 4 speed auto > CVT
>>
>>14340887
Thats no v6, also its a cvt
>>
>>14339796
automatic is only good in stop in go traffic, but only if your car has low HP and can't just be loud as fuck in 1st gear and instead you have to shift to 2nd in stop n go traffic.
>mfw being the loudest car on the road going 10mph because im too lazy to go to 2nd gear
>>
I have a Focus ST, love the manual, wouldn't trade it for the world.

But I am seriously considering getting a Lexus LS400 or some similar land barge just for commuting and short road trips. The manual sucks in traffic, and I'm just a little bit fat so the bolsters on the ST's seats get to be a little uncomfy.
>>
Manual

Some people say they suck in traffic, but the other day it took me exactly 2 hours to travel 22 miles in rush hour and I didn't mind the manual one bit.
>>
Manual, though there are days when I'm in traffic or I'm driving somewhere I don't want to be I wish my car were an automatic. I'm actually considering getting my next car an automatic though. I've been driving manuals since I learned to drive 15 years ago and never owned an automatic, but the thought of not having to shift is nice.
>>
Manual > DCT > bikes or walking or some shit > slushbox
>>
>>14345129
I sometimes mind and wish I had an automatic while in traffic but never actually wish that I bought one.
>>
My supra is automagic

I actually like it a lot

next car I want to have manual though
>>
manual all day, I love being able to engine break and bounce up and down gears.

driving standard also inadvertently forces me to pay attention to road conditions and whats around.
>>
what are SMG's like?
>>
>>14345266
I'll save you the trouble; don't.
>>
Would be kinda neat if manuals got a 'super low' idle gear for stop/go traffic where all you need is the clutch to engage.
>>
>>14345280
You can do that in any car. It's easier in torque-y cars but even gutless shitboxes can if you slip it long enough.
>>
>>14345295
I think it would just be cool to fully engage without even touching the gas once. Could crawl with traffic much easier.

Doing it in first gear for my car is sorta possible but it dies out pretty quickly, reverse though I can keep it going forever if i'm not on an incline of sorts.
>>
>>14345280
I've never needed lower than first. Idling in first in most cars is slower than walking. If traffic is moving slower than that, it's probably not moving at all.
>>
>>14345330

In my NA Miata you can let the clutch out in 1st no throttle input and crawl at about the speed of very slow rush hour traffic in 1st.
>>
I choose Automatics because my brother would always talk about how much he loves driving standard, and that Automatics is for lazy people, etc.

Well now he's bitching about how driving standard is hurts his legs and now he wants to drive my car.
>>
Will you look down at me with shame if I buy an automatic BMW?
>>
>>14345425
Yes.
>>
>>14339796

I prefer an automatic since I fucked up my knee. My car has the slappy padels as well, but they're joyless unless I'm trying to be obnoxious. I used to love manual, but now that I've lived with auto for three years, I could only go back if it was a dedicated track car. For daily driving, there's no contest.
>>
>>14339796
manual. since it's all i've driven

i'd be ok with flappy padels, but i really prefer manual
>>
>>14339796
You'll have to pry my shift knob out of my cold, dead hands. I can't stand automatics, constantly fighting the transmission with the brakes is fucking annoying.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.