[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Truckerfag thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 308
Thread images: 42

File: 39975_r720_540[1].jpg (71KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
39975_r720_540[1].jpg
71KB, 720x540px
>How do I into CDL?
Community college, independent schools. Get a grant or loan before you sign a contract with a company offering to pay for school.

>Good rookie companies?
http://pastebin.com/Sv0cyWyH

>Bad rookie companies?
Anything not in the pastebin
>>
>No Particular Edition Edition
>>
Speed limiting trucks does not cause saftey issues.

If anything it improves the saftey of those whi have to share the road with trucks.
>>
>how do I into cdl?
1. go to community college
2. take business classes
3. get degree in accounting/business mgmt
4. start career in anything but trucking

trucking teaches you unique ways to hate each and every state
>>
>>14273721
Are you all bitter or something? It seems odd to me that people in the trucking thread tell everyone to stay away from trucking.
>>
>>14273721
Kek, I thought you were the "trukkers r dum, go 2 collaj" shitposter there for a moment.
>>
>>14273797
Nah, it's a decent gig, but if you can get into college, you definitely should. Trucking should be a fallback plan.
>>
>>14273797
Basically what Gundam said.

If you still live with your parents and they are willing to help you out while you get a degree, do it.
>>
>>14273683
Can't speed up to merge into a lane with cars traveling 70mph beofre your lane runs out.the line of cars blocking me which are because I'm forced to go slower than the flow of traffic.

During a casual pass. Around a bend appears a wreck on the side of the road. I mash the pedal and get around the guy I'm passing takes my lane and we don't hit the obstacle.

You have never driven a truck. So just stop
>>
>>14273721
but college is expensive and i don't want loans
>>
>>14273932
>>14273683
Ehh, a lot of it is for fuel consumption. But some of the 62mph limiters in trucks is ridiculous when you are driving through Wyoming.

The governor is more annoying than anything. When you are trying to pass that asshole who can't keep a constant speed on the highway. They are doing 55mph, try to pass them on the left like a normal human bean, and they speed up and start riding with you at 65mph. So you go back behind them and they go right back to 58mph.

Some days, I wish my truck had a "Push To Pass" button that would let me do 75mph for like 20 seconds at a time.
>>
>>14273940
So go to community college. Get financial assistance. Get a bunch of certifications in something you are mildly interested in. It will cost just as much as a CDL course, but you can work a real job with a real salary.
>>
File: _20160119_203619.jpg (232KB, 1440x1413px) Image search: [Google]
_20160119_203619.jpg
232KB, 1440x1413px
>>14273975
Driver reward is real. Speed allowances are an actual thing lol.
>>
>>14273975
This desu. I've been in so many situations that would've been made immensely better with a "Push to Pass" type button. Better yet just remove governors so I don't kill others by going 62 in an 80.

It's only worsened by the fact that people don't know how to treat trucks. Especially in Commiefornia, everyone drives like absolute trash and don't care that you have to merge or acknowledge the fact that trucks are supposed to drive 55mph.
>>
File: 1439926410556.gif (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1439926410556.gif
3MB, 640x360px
Let me tell you my story that involves trucks, happened this morning
>am a delivery driver
>picking up some stuff I dropped off yesterday. not very far, only 30-40 miles out.
>GPS said its going to take an hour because of major slowdows
>whatever, not like I have a lot of contracts anyway
>lots of traffic but I get there on time
>heading back to the shop
>getting ready to merge on the freeway
>the onramp ends very, very quickly so no one should be in the right lane
>going 65mph
>about to merge, look in my mirror and what do I see?
>a semi truck. right in my way
>mfw I have to slow down to 35 really fast
>get over, that guy was the only vehicle in that lane for a mile
>mfw it was a swift driver
>a fucking swift driver.
>mfw had to take 3 freeways to get back, all of them littered with semis and other big trucks in every single lane, forcing traffic to go 50 mph
>mfw on the drive back

Makes me wish semis had their own freeways ornsomething. Completely unrealistic but let me dream
>>
>>14274190
There are asshole truck drivers just like car drivers. There are far fewer dick truckers tho. I always try and move over for those short on-ramps or adjust my speed so the cars will have distance to get ahead or behind me safely.

But there are lots of retarded drivers. I purposely let off the throttle so they have plenty of room to speed up and merge in front of me. And they don't look to the left until the lane is ending even though I gave them tons of time to go ahead of me. I'll let those people slam on their brakes and go behind.
>>
>>14273932
>implyinh you can even get to 70mph before merging when fully loaded.

Sorry but you obviously haven't driven a truck.
>>
>>14273932
Why are you overtaking in a blind corner in the first place.

You are a danger on our roads. This is why trucks need limiters, it stops idiots like you fron endangering the public.
>>
>>14274250
I dont slow down for merging cars. They have the ability to easily accelerate and merge safely. Yet they expect you to slow down so once they get on the highway they can then speed up and do the speed limit instead of just merging at speed.
>>
>>14274250
Yeah don't get me wrong, I've ran into a lot more bro truckers than I have idiots. Especially when I'm driving the 20'er at work. But today I was mercifully in the Savanna, it has the 6.0 so I just blew by all those people when I got the chance.

Today was just different for some reason. It was a little bright but that shouldn't have caused everyone to go full retard. Life goes on, I assumed that swift guy was a major nub and just brushed it off. You drive a lot more than me so I'm sure you know that feel when people consistently keep cutting you off. One that's rage inducing is when you're in traffic and the idiots behind you hop in the ending lane just to cut in front of you.

Yeah, lets just go right in front of a truck loaded with thousands of pounds and hit the brakes. I love driving but sometimes I start getting frustrated to the point where I don't even want to be on the road
>>
>>14273932
>this is the bullshit they say when they lobby against limiters. Yet in cuntrees with limiters trucking is acutally safer and has less accidents.
>>
File: IMG_20160112_115744182.jpg (4MB, 2952x5248px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160112_115744182.jpg
4MB, 2952x5248px
>>14274282
I post undercover from time to time. You may recognize them as long winded rants filled with typos. But rest assured. I've driven a truck before. I got 75k on my newest truck that I started running after July 4th weekend.

Also lanes end all the time. You don't have to be coming off an onramp for one to end.
>>
>tfw 44tonnes
I always read about you guys getting great mpg yet im flat out getting 5.5mpg.
Then I realised that you guys only have a maximum gross limit of 38tonnes.

It all makes sense now. I'm not as shit as I thought. It is surprising how much a few extra tonne effects the mpg.
>>
>>14274190
>Makes me wish semis had their own freeways
Oh you mean the interstate highway system?
Also, there may have been a car sitting comfy by the swift driver until the last sec, then passed him and merged in front of him before you saw it. That's happened to me A LOT. I always move over for merging traffic.

>>14274331
I also subscribe to this notion.

>>14274333
I lay on the air horn when people do that shit. Even minus the ending lane, if they merge right in front of me and brake they get the horn. I'm glad Skyline is putting crash cams in.
>But muh privacy
There's one camera facing the driver from the passenger side, no view into the sleeper. It will pick a random time each day to record for 2 minutes to keep drivers on their toes and off their phones. Not a bad deal. Plus the company is throwing in HDTV's with satellite along with the camera install.

>>14274362
I'm not against limiters but I agree with the other guys, we need to be able to pass without causing a backup when Douchey McSuperTrucker decides to match speed with you.

>>14274440
Speed also has a bit to do with it. I can slow down to ~57 and get over 6mpg, but the company doesn't incentivize fuel economy at all so I keep it pinned at 65 when safe and get 5.8 all week.
>>
>>14274467
I heard New York has these certain freeways that trucks aren't allowed to use, which makes traffic awesome. If the u.s had something like that everywhere I would be happy but that's just too unrealistic lol.

Im only driving box trucks so I don't deal with nearly as much weight as you guys but still. I still drive a big truck no matter what way you look at it, I don't understand why people endanger themselves and especially me, just to get ahead like 3 car lengths. It's way too easy to get a license in the USA imo
>>
>>14273683

>Blow steer tire on highway
>Crash and die because you can't go any faster

horray
>>
>>14274525
What the US needs is a segregated highway system, commercial and commuter, but that'd be way too goddamn expensive to implement for too little benefit over what we have now. Maybe Musk's batshit crazy hyper loop idea will evolve into something like that, or at least affect the highway traffic in some positive manner. Probably won't happen for another decade though.
>>
>>14274525
Every state has roads trucks can't use. It's everything that isn't hi lighted in yellow.

You wanna avoid trucks? Stay off our routes.
>>
>>14274566
That makes no sense at all.
>>
File: 20160119_203033.jpg (4MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160119_203033.jpg
4MB, 4128x2322px
>>14274595
(Pic related)
>>
>>14274606
yes it does. When you blow a steer you are supposed to accelerate... until you get to a safe place to pull off. When you blow a steer tire, side force is applied which causes you to lose control and veer in the direction of your blown tire. If you go faster, the magnitude of the side force is reduced.
>>
>>14274751
>When you blow a steer you are supposed to accelerate

Where in the fuck did you get trained
>>
>>14274467
damn, 5.5, 5.8... do you have an apu?

our mpg bonuses START at a minimum of 7.4mpg.

At around 40 tons, I average around 6.8-7.2 at around 60 mph, top gear 1300 rpm
>>
>>14274786
That was actually from an instructional video sponsored by FMCSA, DOT, and michelin tires and makes total sense.
>>
>>14274595
Im not going to add an extra hour to my road time because you think you own the freeway. I take i75, 696, 94, 96 etc
>>
>>14274786

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8znCgvHMb-g
>>
>on the street, going around 30mph
>crossing an intersection, light is green
>some fucker does a right turn, not paying attention
>sees me coming and stops mid-turn
>press the brake all the way down
>just barely avoid hitting him
>fucker drives off

some people
>>
>>14274819
is your normal commute 8 hours long? if not, there is no way making a slight alteration and using backroads could change it that drastically.

cars on the interstate dont bother me unless its some turdnugget who is merging on only to get off 1/4 of a mile down the road. like wtf? merge onto the the interstate and slow a bunch of people down just to go two blocks down the road?

also, people can't seem to understand that when they are merging, the traffic that is already on the highway/interstate has the right-of-way. technically, I don't HAVE to move at all to let you on... but I do it all the time because I try to be considerate. But half of the time when I move over to let someone merge, they merge and match my speed and sit in my blind spot. Now I'm blocking people in the passing lanes because I cant go fast enough to pass this shithead that I just let onto the highway. So if you're merging and there is a truck, either speed up or wait for him to pass. Driving (anything) requires patience. Just be safe and think.
>>
>>14274966
Too long didn't read lol.

I'm not taking the backroads to drive to Detroit, or anywhere else that I could save 20+ minutes by taking the freeway. I have deadlines to meet. Like I said, you don't own the road. Just stay in the right lane like a good cuck and everything will be fine.
>>
>>14275071
Not to mention our trucks have a GPS in them, why the fuck would I have my boss bitch at me for taking so long to drive somewhere when I could have easy saved a lot of time

>b-but a trucker on the internet said I can't use h-his highway
>>
>>14273932
Your truck can hit the limiter before the merge lane runs out?

Nice rig.

>>14274331
this every time
>merges at 40 mph, clusterfuck of traffic as everyone squishes into the left lane to get past
>2 miles later the same guy passes everyone, cruising at 85

>>14274819
The US highway system was built specifically for freight & military convoys. Commuters are the ones that don't belong. Clogging up shit with your rush hours. Ride the bus if you don't like it.
>>
>>14275071
you read it, don't even lie lmao
>>
>>14274787
>40 tons,
So thats only 38tonnes in real weight measures.
>>
>>14274751
Its stupid to accelerate and speed up. That only makes it harder to slow down.

Just maintain an acceleration force and and use your trailer brake lever to keep stability and using it to slow down.
>>
File: malam-top_0.jpg (96KB, 671x353px) Image search: [Google]
malam-top_0.jpg
96KB, 671x353px
>at least 2 years until I can apply for my heavy truck licence
One day I'll fulfill my dream
>>
>>14273721
>trucking teaches you unique ways to hate each and every state

How do you feel about Ohio?
>>
>>14274074
No fucking way.

Is this real??
>>
>>14276483
Our company volvos bump up your speed limit to 70mph as long as your mpg is greater than 7.5
Anything lower, you're capped at 62mph.
If you can get >7.9mpg, they remove the limit all together (but cruise is still capped at 70mph).

I legit used to get 7.5 mpg, drive 70mph for a bit, get bumped back down to 7.4mpg and then have to build myself back up to +7.5mpg by driving 55mph for a bit.

My teams top dude gets 8.3mpg and he drives 55mph all day long, occasionally blasting off at +70mph on clear stretches etc.

Idling has a LOT to do with the mpg calculations for us too
>>
File: 1453286468484.jpg (405KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1453286468484.jpg
405KB, 2048x1152px
>waste all yesterday waiting for work.
>flat out told I was pushed off cause I didn't willingly take a doomed run that would have cut my home time in half
>new dispatcher literally juggling all the board's finds me a run. Sadly it's after I'm out of time.
He guessed they were 24hr and was unfortunately wrong. So here I sit again for another 4 hours. Apparently this kind of shit has been happening to everyone for the last month heartland needs to get it together.

>governed at 60. Have Express in name.
Something just seems wrong with that
>>
How does home time work OTR? Do you get a load in the general direction of wherever your house is or what?
>>
>>14277031
Usually. Unless dispatch is an ass. Then they'll keep you so far away you never make the home time then assume you took it and keep dispatching you. Knight I'm looking at you.
>>
>>14274787
Nope I idle all night and it affects the MPG readout. APU on this truck is bunk and the company wants rid of these trucks as soon as the bank will allow them so they don't want to drop money on a new APU. It's a 2012 Pete with a PACCAR MX so it could probably do 7+ if it weren't for all the idling.
>>
Lets play spot the super trucker!
>>14276240
>talking about blowing a steer tire
>"Use your trailer brake lever"
Found him!
>>
>>14277214
Sorry you don't know how to drive.
>>
D-Do I accelerate or break when my steer goes?
>>
>>14277269
Pucker up and hope for the best.

But if you look at you tires and check pressures regularly you should never suffer from a steer blowout. Oh and use quality brand tires, not cheap shit.
>>
Welp, first snow day on the truck. Wish me luck folks.
>>
>>14277321
Get fucked
>>
>>14274853
nice
>>
>>14277269
>Do I accelerate or break
Yes. You accelerate, or you break.

Did you mean 'brake'?
>>
>>14277321
good luck
>>
Are most trucks nowadays automatic trans?

Does anyone drive a manual transmission tractor trailer?
>>
>>14277651
i do
>>
>>14277651
40%ish of new tractors made nowadays for fleets are auto.
90% of trucks on the road are manual.
It's a new tech for this industry so uptake is slow
Almost everyone on this thread drive a manual but have driven an auto at some point.
>>
>>14273975
Some trucks with cruise control can bypass this. The trick to it is getting the rig to 75mph to set the cruise. Once the cruise is set, deactivate it then just flip the switch/button to resume.
>>
>>14273975
It's a shame you can't just carry on at 62MPH when they drop back down to 58. If they won't do the right speed, you do it for them.
>>
Any Knightfags around?

The Knight Training program offers a tuition reimbursement ($35.00 a week; up to $5,500)
Plenty of miles, 401K, paid vacation. Medical, Dental and life insurance
Trainees will be paid a base salary of $500.00 a week while they are with a trainer (4-6 weeks)
Trainees are paid .33 to.42 cents per mile while they complete their required 30,000 solo miles
Knights Sliding Pay Scale, Cents Per Mile

0-200 = .42cpm 200-300 = .39cpm 300-500 =.35cpm 500+ =.33cpm

Sounds kinda low desu senpai
>>
>>14276452
Well when I was moseying through the good ole buckeye state, I got called into 2 weigh stations and pulled over for a random DOT inspection (on the ohio turnpike no-less), so theres that. Gets pretty cold up there too. All this happened in a single day passing through.

I can't say I'm a fan of ohio
>>
>>14277198
That's a rough ticket. I'd let you sleep in my truck if we ever saw each other. We could spoon for warmth and watch The Notebook together. I like to be on the inside.
>>
>>14276452
Travel plazas on the turnpike are GOAT.
Everything else in the state..well, I mighg like to drink a nice warm glass of watery diarrhea rather than to back there.
Your roads suck, your cops suck, your cities suck, and your rural areas have too many god damn stop lights, stop signs and 25 mph towns.
>>
>first company I work for has me work in a manual truck
>company I just started in now has the same truck, but automatic
>it's even worse

Why do they even make these
>>
I'm off to Roehl in Gary Indiana next week, orientation starts on Monday. Though reading reviews again on glassdoor keep me second guessing.

>driver cameras
>.35cpm
>inept dispatchers
>micro managing fleet managers
>poor planning and routing.

Is this company really this bad?
>>
>>14278702
Kek, last week I had a friend along cause he wanted to check out trucking. Company tried to get us a double bunk but they were all occupied. Made him take my old sleeping bag and we slept with our heads on opposite ends of the bed. It was like fuckin' Boy Scouts camp all over again.
>>14278919
So retard truckers can't snap a driveshaft.
>>14279016
I wanted to try Roehl for flatbedding experience. Maybe in a few years.
>>
So how does the pay work? Do you get paid for every mile the truck moves or only loaded miles or what? What happens if you get lost or 100 miles out of route? Can you cheat on miles by taking the scenic route?
>>
>>14279127
Depends on the company. For me, I get paid by the miles it would take to get there by a reasonable, valid route for trucks, doorstep to doorstep. If I try to take a long route I don't get paid any more, and I'd probably get reprimanded for wasting time and fuel if it was especially out of the way. Otherwise they don't micromanage us at all. I've been told some shitty companies pay by miles as the birds fly, and not even doorstep to doorstep, but from edge of zip codes. Then they claim to pay some absurd mileage rate to appear competitive.
>>
>>14273721
>business management

Lmao, those degrees are a dime a dozen and will get you nothing without proper internships and connections.

You're better off doing a two year networking/IT degree if you're going to community college.
>>
>>14279175
Is there a decent demand for networking/IT? What kind of pay am I looking at?
>>
>>14279175
>>14279376
Don't, networking and most entry level programming fields are flooded. This is terrible advice.
>>
Did any of you actually want to be a truck driver?

I didn't
>>
>tfw hourly in metro always on interstates

get sum dat der mack exhaust
>>
>>14279436
I did. Best job I've ever had, not that that's saying much.
>>14279610
>metro
>dat
>der
Pinko commie nazi scum!
>>
File: zzzz.gif (2MB, 466x340px) Image search: [Google]
zzzz.gif
2MB, 466x340px
http://fresno.craigslist.org/trp/5408537363.html

****MUST HAVE 2 YEARS OF FLATBED EXPERIENCE****

i cant be a big bad driver , not enough exp :(
>>
roommate leaves for cr England Saturday do i stop him or is it ok he really is a fuck up currently at his dot physical with a condom tied to his balls kek
>>
File: exp.jpg (98KB, 504x241px) Image search: [Google]
exp.jpg
98KB, 504x241px
>>14279662
here you go
>>
>>14279682
>currently at his dot physical with a condom tied to his balls kek
why ? to pass the drug test?
>>
>>14279732
yeah we're potheads
>>
>>14279776
..... why would that work?
>>
>>14279846
You fill a condom with urine that's clean/will score a negative for the test parameters, trap it to your balls, go to the test, squeeze your thighs together, squirt it into a cup and done. I'm guessing.
>>
>>14279682
Well at least get him a bus ticket back from fontana, cr wont send him back if you were a bro you wouldn't have let him go this far. Also that medical is pointless as they do another at orientation. But if he backs out it counts as a fail
>>
any more info the on NE storm

talking a min. of a foot and a possible max of 3 feet around Philadelphia ...
>>
>>14279929
its kind of a long con i got going on see he goes and later i tell him to ask CR if we can team drive then i will get trainer pay and we will just bake and travel he country
>>
>>14279912
You should stop him from trucking period, if he can't curb his weed "dependencies", what makes you think he can drive a commercial vehicle? He'll end up smoking, and hitting a van and killing a family of 4 because he was too stoned to pay attention to the break lights
ahead
>>
>>14280016
na its cool i still bake and truck no biggie homie you cool tho gramps
>>
>>14279016
>driver cameras
Not fleet-wide, they're only put in the truck if you're on a performance inprovement plan.

That being said, I do have one because I asked for it.

>.35cpm
Well yeah, that's what you get for toting a box around

>inept dispachers
I assume you mean the planners, who are pretty damn good if you keep on your schedule

>micro managing fm's
I've never had a bad FM but yeah you'll find these in every company. Just ask for a new one.

>poor planning and routing
Sometimes, but as long as you don't go on a toll road you can just ignore it :)
>>
File: 1442314477642.jpg (864KB, 4187x3267px) Image search: [Google]
1442314477642.jpg
864KB, 4187x3267px
>mfw driving a bucket truck in Houston and everyone in their car swerves and swarms around me when I just want to fucking merge to get off at an exit to get to the pole line I'm supposed to be working

This shit can't be good for my blood pressure
>>
>Arrive at shipper at 1745 local time
>Could've been here by 1700 at best but I needed a shower and a shit
>They closed at 1600 so it wouldn't have mattered
Well I'm glad I got that shower and shit in, looks like I'm parked here for the night
>In fucking Chicago
Least there's a guy at the gate monitoring cars going in and out, so maybe they'll catch the person that murders me.

>Loaded piss bottle right next to the truck
Gross. I better not get blamed for that.
>>
>>14280392
>loaded pissbottle next to the truck

Take it in and use it as a deterrent for potential attackers. I remember one time I was locked in the bathroom of my house because my brother and his friend were outside and trying to attack me or some shit, so I peed into an empty clorox spraybottle and kicked open the door and sprayed them while screaming "THIS HAS PEE IN IT!"

They bolted like I've never seen people bolt before
>>
>>14280416
>committing biological warfare at a young age
Terrorists grow up so fast these days :'^)
>>
>>14280453
I was always a pretty adaptive kid, probably shoulda tried for special forces like my parents suggested
>>
Why are super singles bad
>>
>>14280631
They have their merits, but they kinda suck traction-wise, at least that's what I'm told.
From my limited knowledge on the subject:
•Low rolling resistance (with them on the "right" wheels, not heavy fuckers)
•This means (slightly) better empeegees.
•Lower overall weight when the truck and trailer both are outfitted with them (again with the "right" wheels), meaning more freight can be hauled
When I say the "right" wheels, all I know is some tire guy kept telling me my truck has some heavyass steel wheels and the company should've put some other kind of wheel on that wasn't steel. I wasn't aware trucks had any other kind of wheels other than steel.
One disadvantage of super singles is that when they blow, you can't limp because there's not another tire there.
>>
>>14280661
>any other kind of wheels other than steel

Aluminum, and thats it.

The problem with super singles is the fact that they suck on anything that isn't a dry road. If you run over a puddle with the middle of the tire, your fucked, because that water can't go anywhere. Don't even ask about snow, because you can't get anywhere with that (literally).

The other -big- problem, is the fact that if you blow one, thats it, you HAVE to stop, or you'll destroy the wheel. Now, the fun part about the wheel is that truck manufacturers and trailer manufacturers often times use different offsets for these wheels, and if you grind your rim off on the ground, you can be stuck on the side of the road for HOURS as your company scrambles to find someone dumb enough to stock these wheels in the middle of the night.

Overall, the only time they can really serve as an advantage is on a trailer. Worst case scenario, a smart driver can at least nigger rig a method of chaining that axle up to limp somewhere, but not on a drive axle.

Also, they cost -a lot- of shekels.
>>
>>14280754
Yeah I thought it was aluminum but didn't want to be wrong and sound retarded again. So yeah basically super singles are great for company fleets or truckers that specifically need a few hundred pounds less weight for their freight.
>>
>>14279682
>>14279776
If he fails a random, he's fucked. It's not worth it. Pissing dirty for a DOT physical is not fun.

Hopefully the temp and everyhing is fine.

>>14280661
Lots of out bulk trailers have super singles. They always have an air supply going thru the hub in case they have a slow leak.

Do people actually use super singles on the drive axles? Doesn't seem too horrible on the trailer, but not worth the weight savings on the drives.

>muh unsprung weight
>>
>>14280773
Or they could use that extra weight to have 2 or 3 more people in the truck for Super Team Driving! Run that shit 380 days a year.
>>
>>14280852
>Truck has super singles
>Rearmost axle isn't even powered, just load bearing
Just fuck my shit up, etc.
>>14280854
Is 3-driver team an actual thing? I've never seen nor heard of it.
>>
Oh I also saw a most glorious sight today, another one of those mini-truckers in a Dodge Ram with a flatbed trailer, cept he had a coffin-esque sleeper with aero top added on - that clearly was originally built for an international daycab. There was like 2ft of flat space between the roof of the truck and the underside of the aero top.
>>
>>14278684
Not him, but thoughts on Louisiana? It's where I live and I know we have tons of shitty drivers.
>>
>>14279937
Doesn't seem THAT bad. I just left buffalo and I'm currently on I79 south. It's was maybe a 49 min stretch of whiteout condition but past that, pretty clear
>>
>>14279175
Networking/IT certificates are garbage without a bachelors degree backing them up.

>>14279421
Entry level programming fields are flooded with recent college grads who kinda suck at it and only know java.
Programmers who learn multiple languages and get a decent internship don't have any trouble finding work with a BS in CS.

But community college "networking" and "IT" degrees are basically the modern equivalent of a cable installer's certification. Anyone with a pulse can get them and employers know it.
>>
>>14280894
We replaced the rear drive diff with a dead axle on one of our 2015 cascadia evolutions and threw super singles on it. Fucker gets 9.8 mpg running dedicated runs from michigan to kentucky.
>>
>>14280894
>Is 3-driver team an actual thing?

No. Not yet, anyways.
>>
>>14281193
Just sounds awful
>Can't have someone in upper bunk while vehicle is moving
>Means someone is driving, someone is in the passenger seat, someone is sleeping
>All 8 hour blocks
Ideally you'd be in the passenger seat after driving so you can wind down and take your 8 hours in the bed at the next switch.
>>
>>14281189
Wait... Did the dead axle have super singles or duallys?
Also, that route is mostly flat, no?
>>
>>14279421
says the retarded trucker who has never worked in IT

go to BLS.gov retard, network and computer systems admins have plenty of jobs and slightly above average growth
>>
>>14281329
Dead axle has super singles, power axle has duals.
I've never been down that route, I'm just a lowly mechanic.
>>
>>14278800
>travel plazas
>GOAT

you're kidding right? I paid $10 for a value cheeseburger, value fries and value soda from a bk at a travel plaza once. They got me.

There was also a sbarros there... 2 slices and a drink for $12
>>
>>14281130
>Networking/IT certificates are garbage without a bachelors degree backing them up.

Depends on your field. Knowing someone who works in the company > work experience with equipment the establishment you're applying for uses > general IT work experience > relevant factory certs > education.

Networking doesn't require a bachelor's degree most of the time, especially for telecommute jobs.

The rest of your post just confirms that you know literally nothing about the job of a sysadmin.
>>
>>14281193

>He hasn't heard of Paki's running 1 license through multiple people

Top kek
>>
>>14280968
Nothing bad to say about louisiana actually. I was only there once. New Orleans was kinda trashy, but the people were really nice. I had this weird dish... I think it was like a balled up salmon patty with bits of shrimp and some kind of stuffing inside. Was surprisingly delicious.

I'm partial to the south though
>>
What companies offer paid cdl training around in IL? The CC here has a 9 month waiting list. :(
>>
I run super singles on a tri-axle, if one blows, I can keep on going as it has travel limiting suspension. Then you dont have a rim grinding on the road. But I always carry a spare.

As soneone else said, they are only good on dry roads. I had to go on a wet dirt road onve before and the trailer basically was just hanging out to the side, they dont track well in the mud.
>>
>>14281645
They're absolutely awful in the Michigan snow.
I bent my tow hitch trying to jerk one of our drivers out of a snow rivet two or three weeks ago.

Everyone else just flipped on 4x4, hooked up, and took off.
>>
Do you guys get detention pay for the downtime you incur when your truck breaks down?
>>
Melton's calling my name and I'm thinking I'll probably end up going with them.
Anything I should study before I go for orientation?
How to do log books? How to hook up tractor to trailer? How to drive in freeway?
I was telling my dad that on hills you should go downhill on a lower gear than the one you went uphill with but he said "real life trucking" I'll always be on a high gear to get enough momentum for the next hill.
>>
>>14279682
You could literally shoot him in the face with a shotgun as he is leaving and he will be better off than if you let him go to cock rancher England
>>
>>14281874
I would refuse a trailer with super singles in winter.
>>
File: image.png (134KB, 300x377px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
134KB, 300x377px
>>14282766
Your dad is dumb. You were right, but that's generally for long downgrades. You'll learn the basics like that at a good CDL course or in training.
>>14283925
>mfw my truck and trailer are all super singles
>mfw I've been in IN/IL/WI all yesterday, slept in Chicago, and headed for MI today
>>
>>14284015
I could deal with a trailer on supa singas, but fuck having the truck itself with them.
>>
http://m.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/snow-storm-travel-disruptions-aim-for-nyc-dc-boston-philadelphia-friday-saturday/54870622

>>be me
>>currently in VA and just started my 10 hrs rest
>>gotta be in new Hampshire by tomorrow morning
>>first winter driving an 18 Wheeler

We're all gonna make it, right guys?
>>
File: 20160121_082838-1.jpg (3MB, 3201x1562px) Image search: [Google]
20160121_082838-1.jpg
3MB, 3201x1562px
Also, regarding mpg related speed governors - its a fleet wide thing.
Pic related, my empeegees are half decent so I 'unlocked' my current max speed of 100kmph/62mph

>>Canadia-land
>>Autotragic
Drove a manual cascadia for 3 months but just joined a company where every driver with less than 1 yr exp has to drive an auto volvo
50cpm makes up for it though
>>
>>14284187
Make sure your fuel tanks are topped off.
>>
File: image.jpg (131KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
131KB, 640x1136px
New shoes this snowy morning feels good being hourly
>>
File: IMG_20160121_072511.jpg (3MB, 4160x3088px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160121_072511.jpg
3MB, 4160x3088px
I can't get over how enormous the crows are out west
>>
>>14284364
Nigga them ain't crows. Them's damned dragons with beaks.
>>
>>14284364
Ravens will blow your mind
>>
>Finally get loaded
>Getting the fuck out of Chicago
>Stop at a Flying J just east of Gary, IN
>Fuel and scale
>Trailer is 2k over
>Put tandems all the way back
>Re-scale, just 180lbs under limit, can't even bump tandems up a notch
Fucking forklift guy left the last few pallets on the floor instead of stacking like the rest of the trailer. I should've said something when I was strapping the load.
>>
>Stop in random truck stop for some grub and a break
>Lot hasn't been cleared of snow in probably days
>lolsupersingles
>Truck and trailer are just doing whatever the fuck they want, while I'm trying to direct them towards a parking spot
I want to stop if this is what I'm dealing with, but another driver at the Burger King said the roads I'm headed for are clear.
>>
>>14285436
Wouldn't have made much difference.
The weight shift doesn't matter unless you can move it past the midline.
The fuckup is in the nose.
>>
Grilled cheese, fries with ketchup and mexican pepsi for lunch.
5bux never tasted so good.
>>
>>14285143
That they will. One flew by me, and just the sound of it's wings and feathers all smacking together was quite something. Strange vocalizations as well.
>>
>>14287226
Ravens and crows are capable of mimicking humans like parrots do. There's a breddy funni video on YouTube of a crow going "fugg you." I've also heard a mockingbird in Florida mimicking a car alarm, the kind that goes through like seven different patterns. That was pretty funny.
>>
>>14287630
Had a mockingbird in my backyard that mimicked the chirps of the crosswalk for the blind.
Seemed kind of hazardous
>>
>>14288137
I'd be lying if I said I didn't giggle. That's terrible. Wonder if it's ever caused trouble.
>>
>>14287226
>>14285143
>>14287630
I read somewhere that they are highly intelligent. Supposedly they are one of few species in the animal kingdom that are capable of using tools. Also, they can memorize individual faces and distuingish between different people. There is a scientific term for the ratio between the size of the brain and the size of the organism/body and theirs is on par with humans.

I threw out a few triscuits and like 30 of them were just chillin all over my truck.
>>
>>14288250
Some of the wily fuckers understand liquid dynamics. I've seen one try to fetch a treat from a slender tube filled with water, treat on top, and when he couldn't reach it, he dropped something heavy in, to lift the water level so he could get the treat. If mankind wipes out, birds will take over, the simians or w/e have stopped growing larger brains.
>>
Storms a coming.
Be safe guys.
>>
File: 1448637072946.jpg (45KB, 380x376px) Image search: [Google]
1448637072946.jpg
45KB, 380x376px
> mfw heading south west and not north east
>>
>>14288250
They are smart as shit. They recognize people and remember them, they communicate with each other (about people!), use the barter system to negotiate with each other for items and favors, build tools, and ride public transit.

https://youtu.be/DSDhkFv6SDU
>>
>>14284364
Faaaaarrrk
>>
Any flatbedders here? Do you like it more than reefing/dry van?
>>
>>14273683
This. Truckerfags don't understand what it is like trying to pass a truck when there is a 16mph cross wind. Imagine how much worse that would be if trucks could go 85mph, meaning you would have to go 95mph to pass them in a reasonable amount of time.

The way I see it, I make more money at my job then truckerfags do at theirs so they need to get out of the way. My job also can't be easily replaced, like semis can with trains. Sorry if I sound condescending, the truth often times can.
>>
>>14289884
>My job also can't be easily replaced
Are you God or something?
>>
>>14274293
This. I work on the management side of the trucking industries and a pattern I notice is that the drivers using the "you've never driven a truck" phrase are the one's consistently putting themselves in dangerous situations.

One of the most aggressive drivers in my fleet is always trying pass in the opposite lane of traffic, tailgates like a fucking maniac, doesn't allow room merging cars, etc., etc. You know how he responds to that? "I'm the safest driver on the road, everyone else is the problem. You've never even driver a truck!" (I have, by the way).
>>
>>14289884
Why the fuck would you pass anyone going 85 unless you wanted to be going faster anyway you stupid piece of shit?

This idiot right here is what we have to deal with every say
>gotta beat the big truck gotta beat the big truck
>fuck why this truck goes so fast he makin me speed
>damn truck drivers making people speed
>>
>>14289921
Oh and FYI, a 15mph difference is fucking HUGE.
I have a radar system on my truck that displays exactly how fast traffic in front of me is going. Even 5mph difference is a pretty damn quick passing speed. It surprised me to learn this.
>>
File: POP.webm (455KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
POP.webm
455KB, 720x404px
>>
>>14289929
Well, if USA used the superior metric system you would have know this the first time you drove.
>>
>>14289101
I'm finally heading south again today, yey.
>>14289850
Ef and Truckerfag are both owner/ops and pull flatbeds. They're pretty scarce in the threads these days though, I think they just lurk until they see something they feel like replying to.
>>14289884
>If trucks could go 85
Will never happen, even the dumbest truckers aren't that dumb.
>My job, trains, etc
Oh wait it's this tryhard troll again. What is your job anyway? Cleaning truck stop showers?
>>14289912
Sounds about right. I hate supertruckers. "MY DRIVING IS PERFECT, I CAN DO NO WRONG." Says the guy who will inevitably get caught up in a three truck pileup because the two in the rear weren't leaving a safe following distance.
>>14289921
Hit the nail on the head. Non-truck-drivers always act like being behind a truck is a fate worse than death, I don't get it.
>>14290067
dafuq
>>14290069
lolitrolu.gif
>>
>>14287095
Looks like you were right, they also put a few in the head of the trailer without stacking them like the rest. I didn't see that cause I was cold as fuck and stayed in my truck until they were done.
>>
Roomate passed dot physicsl with condom piss kek hes going to take his general knowledge today any links to the most based practice test?
>>
>>14290234
>Hit the nail on the head. Non-truck-drivers always act like being behind a truck is a fate worse than death, I don't get it.

Mostly, it's the lack of visibility and the spray/shit thrown off the trailer wheels.
If I'm stuck behind one for whatever reason, I just drop back and stop giving a fuck. Truckers are better drivers anyway, so I'm not losing time unless it's stupid o-clock in the morning and I'm on the way to work.
If it IS stupid early, then I'm just gonna swoop around ASAP because I need to average 50MPH to make it on time. I'm sorry if it's stressful to have a hatchback just zip by on a bend, but I don't go up the inside of the trailer. I'm not stupid; I've SEEN what trailers do to small cars. They eat them.
>>
>>14290664
How much does clean piss go for and how would one go about marketing it?
>>
File: 2015-08-16 16.30.36.jpg (786KB, 1497x694px) Image search: [Google]
2015-08-16 16.30.36.jpg
786KB, 1497x694px
Truckfriends pls. IT is definitely more lucrative than trucking, but you need to put in a ton of effort and self study to advance your career. Certs without professional experience are toilet paper, you will have to start at the bottom no matter what.

Pic related, IT pays for muh torkz
>>
>>14291068
I don't think anyone said anything to the contrary of that. I didn't.
>tfw could've been Linux sysadmin, working with cluster systems
>tfw only college in the area dropped it due to low enrollment, didn't want to do anything else
I should've just switched to programming or network security.
>>
Whatever happened to cabovers? Cabover with the sleeper looks way better than these overgrown Volvos I see on the highway now.
>>
>>14291129
Comfort, ease of maintenance, and a little bit of paranoia about getting your legs crushed in a head-on collision. I like cabovers as well.
>>
>>14291129

If you go to a Freightliner dealership and be a pain in the ass you can still order a LHD Argosy
>>
>>14291329
How much do those run anyways? And is it really all that difficult to get one legal for commercial use? It's still using a Detroit isn't it?
>>
>>14291399

idk about price, I've heard it's steep cause we usually only build them for RHD markets now, I've actually seen a LHD on I-77 in VA last summer so it can be done, and yea you can get it with a Detroit/Cummins.
>>
File: 20160122_100137.jpg (625KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160122_100137.jpg
625KB, 2048x1152px
>what.
>>
>Will be arriving at today's consignee in about 5 hours
>Dispatch said to grab an empty and deadhead home
>Four hours through KY and TN, empty, and they're calling for a decent amount of snow
>And don't forget
>lolsupersingles
It's been nice knowing you guys.
>>
>>14292321
>>Currently going through VA and wv with a max load trailer to be delivered in buffalo tomorrow morning.
>>engine brake doesn't work
I'll see you in Valhalla m8
I'll be the one with a jacked left leg and right arm
>>
>>14291487
when i was driving back home from minneapolis i saw some twat with 'LFTSHRK' as her, i'm assuming since it was a new mustang and i couldn't see into the tiny windows, plate
>>
>>14290234
Hello resident super trucker
>>
So it was raining all day today, and I noticed that I was getting a ton of steam out of the brakes when they got wet. I wonder if it is just heat from use, or maybe they are sticking a little and the truck will start on fire one day. I drove 2 blocks from the fuel station to the gate at the plant, and there was a ton of steam.

>>14291068
We tell everybody not to drive trucks unless they totally fuckef up everything else.
>>
>>14292378
Bruh I'd be tossing that bitch in 6th down every hill.
>>14292422
Kek, I'll be the first to admit I'm not the best at anything I'm doing. Try again.
>>14292428
Ayy Pepsi, you ever call skyline about that south FL job?
>>
$44/hr flat rate. 2days on 2days off.
4weeks dayshift 4weeks night shift roster.

Hauling fuel. Trade off is fucking cameras everywhere on the truck.
>>
>>14292448
>Try again
You are in denial.
>>
>>14292448
Nah I never called em. Too lazy. I need to figure something out tho.

>>14292457
This is what I need to do

I also need to do some shit for my license before my CDL gets revoked Feb 1. I had 2 DOT medical cards, one expired a few weeks ago, and the other one is goon until April. The DMV has the expired one on record, so I need to get them a copy of the newer one before my license gets suspended. Good thing I have to work tomorrow...
>>
>>14292480
You could still call. Don't know if they filled it yet.
>>
>>14292488
That dude was home every night, right? I just wonder what he made weekly, I don't want to take a pay cut. That's why I want to get on the fuel truck, I will make more for sure. The hours will prolly be fucked up tho, at least in the beginning I'm sure I will work lots of nights and weekeneds.
>>
>>14292514
Only time he was on the truck for a night was due to huge traffic fuckups far as I know. Can't answer on the pay, I don't know. I think our local guys in TN get like $19/hr? Not sure.
>>
>>14292378
Please don't tell me you were planning on using your jake brake in the snow
>>
>>14292580
These newer trucks have multiple levels of engine braking so service brakes + level 1 (mild usage) helps in mountainous regions bruv.
>>
File: operator_get_me_doubles.jpg (92KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
operator_get_me_doubles.jpg
92KB, 1600x1200px
Whatever happened to Whiney-Kun?
>>
File: smh tbh fam.webm (264KB, 722x333px) Image search: [Google]
smh tbh fam.webm
264KB, 722x333px
>>14292710
>>
>>14292710
He doesn't post much when he is at home. He could be taking some time off right now.
>>
Next load is to Grove City, PA the day after my birthday. Will me and my waifu survive this savage storm or is it not hitting that area?

Also!
>Be at WalMart DC
>Turn in paperwork
>"It's a $50 fee to use our lumpers"
>I drive for Swift don't we have an account here?
>"But your paperwork says Coyote"
>That's our broker, not our company
>"What does your truck/trailer say?
>SWIFT
>"We can't let third party drivers use the Swift account"
>I understand that but I drive for Swift
>"That'll be $50 please"

Looks like I don't drive for Swift then :^)
>>
>>14292710
>>14292918
I'm still here, I just don't feel like I have much to contribute so I mainly lurk.
>>
>>14293051
But... How are we meant to mock you if you don't bl/o/g your failings and management bullshit!

Half the reason I visit these threads is for the bants.
>>
I just signed on to run lower 48 with May. How fucked am I?
>>
>>14293034
Whats a lumper
>>
>>14293417
Basically a forklift driver
>>
>>14293034
Anything north of Pittsburgh is almost untouched but I-90 is prone to lake effect snow whenever the fuck it feels like too
>>
>>14292378
If I can get 80K up and down Eisenhower and Vail passes, along with some 8% shit on some Utah back road, all coated in ice* then I think you can get through the Alleghenies. Of course the power steering in the truck hasn't been the same since...

*don't try this at home, kids. Leave supertruckin' to the... errrr, supertruckers.

>>14293034
That's because you were hauling a brokered load, not a Swift load. Apparently the Coyote load paid better than anything they had through their normal sources so you got stuck with it. My carrier will do broker loads if they absolutely have to in order to get a truck back towards a plant but for the most part we hate 'em.
>>
what do you guys think of Averitt Express?
>>
>>14293491
But that's how it always is with this account, one load that's part of the dedicated and all the loads getting us home are brokered.
>>
File: mayinmd.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
mayinmd.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>14293310
Dunno. Somebody doesn't like them though.
>>
>>14293551
>not doing a pre-trip inspection
>>
>>14290234
> >>14290067
>dafuq

Corroded rim? The whole outer lip looks to have come off, and I don't expect it was a beadlock.
>>
>>14293526
Yep. That's how we used to work. Company dedicated outbound and brokered load back towards a plant. Somewhere along the way management decided they'd rather have our own accounts for the return leg and we almost never do a brokered load anymore.

In your case the brokered loads probably won't use any Swift home accounts for lumpers etc since the money for that comes from the broker and it's a separate accounting process. How the fuck you tell if a load is a Swift account or a broker I don't
>>
>>14293458
>live north of Pittsburgh
>3 inches at best
>nothing around grove city

When the lake effect snow is running things are interesting past grove city on 79 and on 80. The Ohio is freezing over now so Erie should be froze over which means no lake effect.
>>
>>14293565
True, but somebody still felt the need to pull the release though.
>>
>>14293582
Old style split rim. Very dangerous.
>>
>>14293635

>Bud style wheel

Nigger thats not old, thats ancient. Bud split rims have been gone for years in NA. Dayton split rims are still kicking in some places though.
>>
File: Split-rims-hero-image.jpg (65KB, 650x300px) Image search: [Google]
Split-rims-hero-image.jpg
65KB, 650x300px
>>14293635
That was my first thought, but I convinced myself I was wrong, because I thought all split rims were like image related.

I wasn't familiar with the locking ring style until literally just now.
>>
How do I float gears?
At school all I learned was double clutching but now that I got my license my trainer said some jobs WANT you to float gears
>>
>>14293551
Yeah, but you'll run that risk no matter what company you drive for. Idiots are everywhere.

So far, they seem to be a really decent company to drive for. Time will tell though.
>>
>>14293679
It's a rhythm thing.

In general, be accelerating and as you come up to the rpm you'd like to shift put a light pressure on the shifter in the direction you're wanting it to go. At the same time, lift off the fuel fairly sharply but not so quickly or so far as to cause a deceleration. When you hit the combination, the shifter will just drift out of the gear.

The RPM's will begin to drop and after a short pause you put some light pressure on the shifter to go into the next gear. Get the timing right and it will practically suck the shifter right in. You're already doing most of it double clutching, it's just a bit less forgiving on being a little too fast or slow on the shifter.

It also helps to keep the jake off until you're really familiar with what the truck likes since that can cause the engine to decelerate too abruptly and result in grinding and missed gears.
>>
>>14293604
Sweet, that's not too much. I just don't want to get bogged down somewhere and waste time. So far they've had me south most of the winter.
>>
>>14293679
its basically double clutching without the clutch.
Do all the steps of double clutching, just don't use the clutch. Simple.

For example;
If RPM/speed is at shifting point, instead of mashing on the clutch, simply apply pressure on the stick(towards nuetral) and slowly roll off of the throttle. The stick should kick out of gear once you release the throttle, when its in nuetral, simply glide the stick towards the next gear and apply pressure on the stick towards it. Do all of this right and it will simply fall into gear.

For downshifting, you simply do the above, but when you're in nuetral, rev up and put pressure on the stick towards the gear you're trying to go to. It seems hard, but once you do it like 4 times, you'll think double clutching is just dumb effort.
>>
>>14275181
>it was built for freight and military convoys

Yes, and it was expanded quite a bit for commuters. Tbh you just sound mad that you're getting fat behind the wheel
>>
>>14293679
Exactly the same as double clutching, but without the clutch. coast - slide - revmatch - slide.

The longer you drive the same gearbox, the better you will get at revmatching. Once you have revmatching down the box practically shifts itself.
>>
>>14293034

>trailer is already unloaded
>not pay
>fucking pull out
>top kek
>>
>>14294021
Then Walmart refuses to pay for the load.
>>
>>14294032

oh well sucks for swift lol then lol as a driver youll still get paid just tell dispatch lolwut im just a driver lel
>>
also

>salty
>fucking
>mirrors
>>
>>14293034
Yeah, you got scammed bro.

Dude pocketed the $50 then rung it up on the swift account.
>>
>>14294049
I've only had to unload at a Walmart once. Company paid the lumper via EFS check. Still bullshit a company like Walmart charges a lumper, especially when they fucking mandate a minimum of 4 hours charge-free to unload a trailer.
>>
>>14293679
OIFY
>>
>>14294049
+1
>>
>>14292710
I thought he died again.

>>14293034
He lives!

>super trucker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua_R_pTfs-E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF-PDGmjb10
>>
>>14293679
>>14293765
>>14293890
>>14293949

I still suck at floating. I do it as much as I can, but I end up falling back on my dub clutch. For me, its hardest to float when I'm empty. Full load? No problem.

Someone told me stevens was going to phase out all manuals and have an all autmatic fleet by 2017. I find that hard to believe...
>>
>>14294299
pay more attention to your speed i guess? make sure you're going fast enough for the gear you're trying to float to.
>>
>>14294346
Anytime I have to brake down below 40 for some retard derping hard on the highway I always get infected by the herpatitis and start grinding all over the place trying to find the proper gear and engine speed.
This does not happen when just slowing down for a speed limit change or red light.
>>
>>14294346
I have the most problems trying to get it out of 7th to go up to 8th, but I'm not sure if its me or the fact that my rpms are governed to go no higher than 1500 in that gear. If I go over that, I have complete loss of power to the throttle until it goes back down to 1400.

At 1500 Im somewhere around 50mph, and I remember in my trainers truck that we would push it up to at least 55mph to shift to 8th
>>
>>14294299

Honestly so far this year I've noticed more than half of our freightshakers have been autos

Schneider just laid down a big order and every one of them are eaton or detroit autos which is the worst driving auto I've ever driven. If you get Allison autos then that'll be bretty gud, I drove an allison auto WS with disc brakes and honestly it drove like a car.
>>
>>14294392
not sure about the details, but I got a qc message in december that we placed an order for 600 volvo automatics and our new trailers are gonna have some anti-rollover gobbledygook
>>
>>14294368
Huh, just seems like you need to practice I guess. That's how I learned to float. Another good tip would be to call out the gear you're in, and the gear you want to go to when shit like that happens. It makes a mental note and you won't get lost if you do grind and end up having to baby the RPMs to get a place.

>>14294382
What type of gearbox do you have?
>>
>>14294392
Drive a volvo auto. They've been feeling like cars for a couple of years now.
Horrible shifting when under load but once you get going, theyre a dream.
>>
File: IMG_20160122_190629.jpg (1MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160122_190629.jpg
1MB, 1944x2592px
>>14294433
Not sure. "Eaton Fuller Transmission" is whats on the gear knob. Tractor is 14 kw t700 paccar w/cummins
>>
>>14294473
PACCAR MX? How's yours behaving? My '12 Pete 386 likes to throw something new at me every week.
>>
>>14294392
I hate the feel of ultrashifts, but from a mechanic's standpoint. DM clutches last a ridiculously long time. The centrifugal clutches really can't be abused by newer drivers fucking up.

Only problems I see are our older drivers saying they get bored while driving.
>>
>>14293918
More trolls with weak arguments because their shitboxes can't pass Swift trucks limited to 62mph.

Get a job close to home faggot.
>>
>>14294196
Well, that would be a tough scam to pull seeing as we do everything through ComData, require Tax IDs and receipts.
I'm still here and haven't paid too. Lord the detention pay will be bountiful.
>>
>>14294531
its not bad... leaks coolant when the engine gets cold after sitting. I feel like I dont have enough midrange/top end torque. Other than that I haven't had any problems yet
>>
>>14294473
Ayyy lmao
Going from 7th to 8th gives me hell on my Sterling dump truck, My solution is to just rev it out high and take a longer pause when floating into 8th. But it seems you can't do that, so I guess you'd just have to double clutch it in those last two gears.
>>
>>14294590
Yeah I know what you mean about the mid/top end power. My Freightshaker felt all around more powerful but they feel about the same at the low end. Mine's leaking coolant from a line connected to the turbo. They haven't bothered with it because it's like a few droplets a day. The engine seems to be behaving lately (now I've jinxed myself), but I'm having trouble with the rear axle magically drinking lube oil (it's not powered so it has serviceable hubs). It hits the "add more" line in like two days after being topped off but then it's kinda steady there.
>>
>>14294625
Wheel seal leaking?
Look for wetness on the shoes/drums.
>>
>>14294636
Nah the seals are good. We've checked for leaks like three times. Just this week some crud has appeared bottom center of the diff case, but that's all. It's fucking perplexing.
>>
>>14294636
>>14294642
Also it's disc brakes and super singles.
>>
Why do Chinese people always have the smallest warehouses
>>
>>14294647

Its a truck. Just keep adding fluid and eventually it'll stop. We have a pete that eats all its coolant in a month, and its not leaking anywhere. Its been to Peterbilt a billion times for tons of different issues, and they always look it over to try and find it, but nothing.
>>
>>14294642
Only thing I can think of at that point is the diff breather tube, hub gasket, or slow seeping out of the hub breather hole.

All of those hub plugs have a tiny hole in the middle that will leak very slowly when the bearings heat up.
>>
>>14294705
Check fuel for coolant, sounds like injector cups leaking. Will eventually cause truck to smoke like a bitch after it sits overnight and ruin injectors.

If truck has a davco filter, catch the first bit of fuel when you drain it, you'll immediately see coolant if there is any.
>>
File: 20160122_100633.jpg (871KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160122_100633.jpg
871KB, 2048x1152px
>>14293034
I actually had that happen to me last night.
>hello am gordo,hab delibery
>50 dollars please.
>but am gordo.
>but the ppw says heartland 'points to sign on wall'
In bold print states Hartland is trying to not pay by sending their stuff in Gordon rigs and to inspect documents
>I was only ever given 4 com checks

This will end badly.
>>
>>14294433
Nigga I been at this jerb for a decade. I shift slicker than your momma's pussy juice.
Just saying I get discombobulated when random idiocy jerks me out of dat sweet highway hypnosis.
>>
>>14294473
That's a 9 speed.
It's a 13 without the splitter.
Or a 10 without the dog leg.
They're weird.
In at least one I drove you can go over where it says "low" when in high range, and it will be the exact same gear as 4th.
>>
>>14294836
i figured you were the anon that was asking how to float lol
>>
>>14294725
Oh god

Shaffer is the refrigerated division of crete. It is not a separate company or corporation, it used to be, but is now emphatically not. Equipmemt used to be color coded. Blue trucks for shaffer, red for crete. They put both names on the doors now and don't even try. The reefers still have blue letter and the dry vans red, as well as only one name.
>arrive in my red truck with blue trailer...but for a dry load.
>gibe freight plis
>turbonigger in guard shack squints at my trailer
>"safe-uz? we don't have no loads fo safe-uz i don't think"(wtf is a safe-uz, it's shaffer you illiterate ape)
>"mite b under crete"
>"oh we got crete loads but yo truck say safe-uz"
>slap the door "truck says crete"
>"well yo trailer say safe-uz"
>"shaffer's just a division of crete bro"
>"don't think we got not loads fo safe-uz..."
This goes on while he shuffles stacks of bills muttering "safe-uz" to himself for ten minutes before he calls someone else on the phone, asking only if they have any loads for "safe-uz".
>"yea we don't git no loads fo safe-uz, i think you in the wrong place"
>"please...I am begging you...do you just have a crete load with these numbers...i just want to know if you have matching numbers so I can tell my dispatch"
>"well we got crete loads but yo truck say safe-uz...but we got otha drivers to check in, you gonna have get outta my gate"
>"can i please talk to somebody in the shipping officd"
>"uh..i guess so..but they already told me they ain't got no safe-uz loads"
>"I'll check with them thanks"
The rest went about as you'd expect. Dude in office was black but didn't appear to have fried chicken and menthols for brains. All he could say was security was subcontracted.
>>
>>14294887
He wasn't anon
>>
Shiet Ive been stuck on the i40 in TN for over an hour now. I didnt think the storm was that bad but reckless drivers always find a way. Id really kill for a cb radio right now
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-22-23-00-51.png (875KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-22-23-00-51.png
875KB, 1440x2560px
>>14294976
Yer fukt bro
>>
>>14294976
Also get Waze. More accurate info than Leroy blaming everything on mexicans and slavs
>>
>>14294976
>>14295005
Doesn't even have to be Waze. Gmaps has decent traffic monitoring and traffic-avoiding-rerouting now.
>>
>>14273456
Check out swift. they send you to school then hire you. rookies make 55k a year
>>
>>14295086
>swift
>even once
Ask that whiney faggot
>>
>>14295047
Yeah but waze has people describing the situation, and actual conversations when everybody's at a dead stop.
>>
Okay, so, as someone who is recently trying to 'how into trucking' in a serious sense, and having found out how horrible of an idea it is to have a sponsored training through a company because holyfuckingshit that screams scam... Can anyone offer a specific name of a program or resource related to tuition aid/financial aid/government assistance for obtaining a CDL-A through a private or public school? The Pastebin says there are grants federally for such a purpose, but I've not run into any looking around myself [previously to reading this thread].
>>
>>14295474
They are called WIA grants. They are grants for if you are unemployed or make under a certain amount every year. For where I am at, it's $28k and the grant was something around the $2k range. I think it is done through the unemployment office/career center.

Public school is usually cheapest, but may have a waiting list or be time intensive. Many private schools will do financing with or without money down, along with you getting your own financing or using theirs.

Where are you located?
>>
>>14273797
Because a driver shortage is better for our wages. If everyone became a trucker, they'd start paying us minimum wage.It's bad enough with all the Indians and east Europeans coming in and working for pesos.
>>
>>14295086
>55k a year
>Swift

Pick one.
>>
>>14295693
MI state southeast side. I've heard tell of a grant from MI Works as well but can't find fuckall on it yet.
>>
>>14293417
It is a ripoff american scam.
>>
>>14293679
Its cheaper to replace a clutch than a gearbox.

Use the clutch.

I assume this is why I always hear nasty bearing race noise from trucks all the tinw.
>>
>>14294589
That's the spirit. Block their loading bays until they unload you for free, or go through the proper channels instead of shaking you down for cash.

After seeing what wal-mart does to truckers, I'd never work there. Although I refused to even think of it after seeing how they treat their own employees.

I may still work shitty retail, but I AM trying to get out. Applied for a job at the tank museum, driving and maintaining what is basically a tracked minibus. And 'other duties as required', which is employer-speak for 'whatever anyone else can't be bothered to do'.
And with the budget cuts because we 'ran out of overtime budget' at work, I'm thinking of applying for a new name badge. With 'dogsbody' instead of my real name or job title, because I seem to be doing everything.
>>
>>14294852
>In at least one I drove you can go over where it says "low" when in high range, and it will be the exact same gear as 4th.

You actually still can, it's the "hidden gear" on 9 speeds.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I fucking hate working Saturdays

>>14295086
Hahahahaha
>>
>>14295005
>>14295047
>>14295154
Google bought Waze, GMaps has Waze reports built in now.
>>14294976
God help you.
>>
>drive into los angeles for dropnhook load
>drop my ghetto ass trailer
>find my new trailer
>wondering whats gonna be fucked up with this one
>inspect it thoroughly
>really good condition...no duct tape holding thermoking together
>landing gear crank arm isn't bent or difficult to turn
>tires are almost new
>trailer has that nice clean sparkle
>"ahhhh" sigh of relief, finally a good one
>head up to barstow to shut it down for the evening... do my pre-sleep potty... bladder? check. post-trip? check. meat lock? check.
>sleepy time is now
>lay head onto pillow
>eyes closing... sleep is closing in...
>...
>brrrrrup...blublublubl
>weeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEREEEEEEEEEERRRREEEEREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET
>for a full minute and a half, my reefer unit makes an absurdly loud and embarrassing belt squeal
>its on cycle-sentry mode so it turns on and off regularly

I have a feeling Im gonna wake up to a thermoking unit that has been shut off by one of my angry neighbors
>>
File: 20160123_074050.jpg (732KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160123_074050.jpg
732KB, 2048x1152px
Anyone else out?
>>
>>14296803
No way, home every night and still earn the same as when I did OTR.
>>
File: 20160123_055024.jpg (696KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160123_055024.jpg
696KB, 2048x1152px
>>14296816
Me too
>>
File: 20160123_080026.jpg (492KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160123_080026.jpg
492KB, 2048x1152px
>>14296836
But I went out this morning anyway
I actually make a lot more now
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>14296803
I'm oot and aboot. Heading home today.
>>
File: IMG_20160123_091800816.jpg (4MB, 2952x5248px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160123_091800816.jpg
4MB, 2952x5248px
Wisconsin roads reporting in. I'm driving all the way home to pa today. When is it shitty?
>>
>>14296600

The DPS salesman on my old route would've had an absolute bitch fit if he saw a checkout cooler that disorganized.

And yeah, Saturday fucking sucks, especially since all the stores are super crowded by the afternoon and its impossible to get anywhere with pallet jacks of product.
>>
>>14297161

Where in Wisconsin are you at?

And luckily it looks like we'll be missing most of the blizzard up here in WI.
>>
>>14297173
Just west of Milwaukee. But its the same all the way to Hudson. Mn for that matter is also clear n dry
>>
>>14296803
lmao i just woke up

I could've made it home last night by midnight but I didn't feel like it.
>>
File: image.jpg (672KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
672KB, 3264x2448px
>>14297162
That's not in a store, it's at the plant. Free shit for us to drink.
>>
>>14296747
That's when you put the thing on Continuous. A lot of drivers do that while sleeping anyway since a constant noise is preferable to something that starts and stops. Some crazy-asses turn the thing off at night though how they still get their loads paid for I don't know.

Try not to leave it on Continuous when driving since the thing will use a 1/4 tank/day in that mode.
>>
>>14297357
My reefer on my trailer is fucked up and doesn't turn off. It gets down to like 30F even tho it only needs to be like 36F. Since it has been cooler out lately, I just turn the thing off for an hour or two, then back on for an hour. It's only the first 4 bays that are chilled so it cools off pretty fast.

Plus the Tropicana will be fine if it gets warm. The Naked could go bad if it gets too warm, but the hippies that drink those deserve food poisoning.
>>
>>14297394
>reefer pulls 6 degrees below set point
Then it's fucked up in more ways than one. If it's working right Continuous mode actually keeps temps closer to the set point, within 1 degree either side usually, which is one reason why Continuous is always used on produce. 6 degrees colder than set would get you a load of frozen and rejected produce to figure out how to get rid of.
>>
>>14297161
Philly already has a foot on the ground supposed to continue to 10pm don't know where in PA you're going
>>
>>14297394
>>14297357

if it's below freezing outside at night can't you shut it down at night and turn it back on in the morning before it warms up?
>>
File: lol.gif (559KB, 400x276px) Image search: [Google]
lol.gif
559KB, 400x276px
>>14294686
Overcompensating?

>>14295086
>>14296747
See gif

>>14296600
Oh dear, my OCD senses are tingling.

Whats your preference? I'd be set with OJ, Max, and Gatorade FP+Berry.
>>
We should put in the OP that trucking should be done as a last resort and only the most dumb fuckers that couldn't cut it anywhere else
>>
>>14297161
EF

Be safe out there

https://twitter.com/PA_Turnpike/with_replies

http://mashable.com/2016/01/23/pennsylvania-turnpike-drivers-stuck-snow/

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Blizzard-Snow-Storm-Jonas-Pennsylvania-Turnpike-Crash-Bedford-County-366292901.html
>>
File: 1437505636462.jpg (16KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1437505636462.jpg
16KB, 640x480px
>>14297516
fuck that, ef

just take route 30
>>
>>14297593
Post more pics of YBJ. I've had a couple folks ask about this glorious beast.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>14297462
South Florida... So no, I leave it on. We actually have 220V outlets that the trailers plug into so they don't run all night, but they are busted most of the time.

>>14297479
I grabbed a bunch of Diet Pepsi and Diet Dr. Pepper from there. Then some Fierce Grape Gatorade from another cooler. And Speedway Gas Stations are doing a reset, so I grabbed a bunch of pic related from the returns.
>>
>>14297605
This is the only other one I have.

The only one you really need is the first one desu baka senpai desu baka sempai
>>
>>14297633
Kek, it looks so funny. Those two should suffice. Thanks lurker.
>>
>>14297462
Probably not. Frozen loads are -10 so that won't work. Produce tends to be around 36 and god help you if it gets too cold. Or warm. Closest would be fresh meats which tend to run around 25-28. Which is close but if there's a problem with the load being accepted you wouldn't want to be the guy that shows a period of being shut down when they pull the reefer performance data which is SOP if there's any questions now.
>>
>>14297516
Fortunately I live right off of I-80. And don't ever take the PA pike unless I have to.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-23-12-11-34.png (3MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-23-12-11-34.png
3MB, 1440x2560px
>>14297593
Lol I already hopped into the Indiana turnpike. I hate driving home so late in the week. I'll stay on 80 all the way home. Lol look at all that orange and red down there
>>
>>14297742
shit nigga even PA commuters don't take the pike unless they have to.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>14297783
That traffic is fucked. And it's Saturday too, so it's not even like weekday traffic is making it worse.

Dude I'm working with today has lived in FL his whole life. And he's like "Do people actually work in that?" so I showed him pic related and he was like "Fuck that!"
>>
>>14297783
what app?
>>
File: 4_0.jpg (72KB, 700x878px) Image search: [Google]
4_0.jpg
72KB, 700x878px
>>14297871
Of course we work in it and so much more. Lol

Google maps is the app
>>
>>14297909
m8 u srs?
>>
File: 1427742078670.png (879KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1427742078670.png
879KB, 1920x1080px
>>14297652
Actually I'm a regular poster.
I don't like to namefig unless it's relevant.
>>
>>14298120
I have many questions about that inage
>>
>>14298768
>>
>>14275071
Dude 94 isn't even that bad
>>
>>14297510
All I know is that I'm making more than those idiotic liberal arts majors. I'd say it's a last resort if you can't hack an engineering degree. Which I could not.
Thread posts: 308
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.