[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First Car

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9

File: Ford-Fiesta-ST.jpg (296KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Ford-Fiesta-ST.jpg
296KB, 640x480px
Sup /o/, after a few months of researching and test driving I've narrowed down the options for a first car.

Ford Fiesta ST or Ford Focus ST.

I was wondering if these would be two good options, or if I should just buy a $1k Corolla beater and wait for the fabled Mazdaspeed 3 to come out? I'd be paying most of it, but my parents are willing to shell out up to 50% of the car's worth if I need it. I have plenty of money saved up for working since I was 14, but I still need to partly pay for college since Florida Bright Futures only gives so much.

Thoughts? Other options? And no... I don't want a Miata.
>>
Also... I don't want an FRS/BRZ either. There was absolutely no room for my stuff in there.

>inb4 ford shill
>>
>>14253189
Man just go sit in both and decide which is best based on your personal needs.
>>
I'd get an old mazdaspeed 3 or some other hot hatch, since its what you're into
no need to get a complete shitbox, since you have parent support
And I also would advise against against getting a brand new car for your first car, you'll fuck something up no matter how much you care
Note that this is coming from a 23 year old who still dds his first car, I felt like I cared about my truck and took care of it well, but 6 years later I realize how much I actually neglected it

get a car you want for your first car, but don't get something brand new cause you'll do something to fuck it up or neglect it, and realize it 5 years down the road when you're ready for a brand new car
>>
>>14253197
I have, and both are great... I just don't know if I really need the Focus, and if the price jump would be worth it.

Also, is the MazdaSpeed3 ever going to come out? I've seen rumors floating around on here that they're going to announce it any day now, but that never seems to come.
>>
I drive a hooped up Ep3 and I've driven the focus ST, I don't like it as much as my Ep3 but it's a genuinely fun car. I've heard the fiesta st is fun too but it's slower.
>>
>>14253207
When buying an older MS3 (or Focus/Fiesta ST if I decide for that), what are some things I should look for, and things I should avoid?
>>
>>14253195
They are also slow as tits so good choice.

I haven't driven a Fiesta ST but I did drive a regular Fiesta a few hundred miles and I have test driven the Focus ST a couple times when I was playing with the idea of buying one. IMO the focus is a far nicer car. The fiesta just seemed cheap. Everything about the focus is better, from engine, to interior, to looks. The fiesta also has the roof line protrude too far forward imo so it makes it hard to see anything tall out the windshield. That really bugged me.

Focus ST is also holding its resell very well while Fiesta STs are plunging in resale.
>>
>>14253224
>not buying new
If you are getting a used car why are you buying such gay ones? Have you not taste?
>>
>>14253224
no clue, but I'd check on mazda forums for common problems instead of /o/
I also plan on buying a used focus or fiesta st in a couple years after my house is paid off, they seem to be dropping in price pretty quick
maybe look into other cars if you're into them too, like golf gti, wrx, etc?
>>
>>14253228
I have read people saying they liked the handling of the focus better, but that was with earlier models.

Also
>>14253233
>>
>>14253233
What do you suggest then?

I need
>trunk space
>folding seats
>fun to drive
>sporty, but not a sports car
>can have room to fit 5 people at least
>>
>>14253248
>>14253228

sorry, meant that people liked the handling of the fiesta better
>>
>>14253254
>5 people
>fiesta
People are going to call you a pedo for carrying around 3 kids.
>>
>>14253254
Five people in a fiesta is going to be hell man. Absolutely a no go.

Idk depends on how much money you have.
>>
>>14253189
If I had all this money I'd never buy a new car. There are so many cool used cars out there for 5-8k
>>
>>14253254
Do you need a good interior in any way? If not, wrx hatch.
>>
Not all hatchbacks are created equal...I've never driven focus/fiesta st but I'd always be hesitant to buy any fwd sports car.

>Currently driving a 14' wrx hatch
>>
>>14253189

I'm a musician.

I bought a Focus SE thinking it'd have enough room for my shit.

It doesn't.

The back is the same size as any trunk.

My rims are pretty fly, though.
>>
>>14253285

Also, the stitched leather is pretty dank. If you want to impress your friends with buttons and a nice interior, they're pretty great.

If you can afford an ST, go for it. I came up a few bills shy, settled for the SE.
>>
>>14253283
The interior of WRXs is just god awful tho.
>>
>>14253262
Sweet memes bro

I have friends, and we go places... like the range, hunting, hockey games, etc.

>>14253265
I have just over $52k total from 4 years of working (2 of which full-time). I took online classes since I would rather work than go to high school. I want at least $25k to go to school, $5k for dorm, books, etc.

>>14253277
Interior doesn't really matter... if the car has a decent interior that's a bonus. If not, whatever, I'm more focused on the road than on how the plastic looks.

>>14253285
Shit, really? I'm going to need a good amount of trunk space.
>>
>>14253305
put like 7500 down on the fiesta or 10k down on the focus and finance the rest. Put the rest of your money in some kind of high yield savings account.
>>
>>14253305

What kind of shit? It was too small for oblong things like guitar cases or drum stand bags. Amps were fine.
>>
File: IMG_5014.jpg (359KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5014.jpg
359KB, 1000x667px
>>14253305
wrx wagon? tons of room for people and things. drove a friend's wagon and it was a blast. of course even they are rice taxed though cus turbah
>>
>>14253283
No you rather drive an overpriced meme

Wrx is complete shit stock
>>
>>14253283

>Not all hatchbacks are created equal...I've never driven focus/fiesta st but I'd always be hesitant to buy any fwd sports car.

Subie bros are always the worst.

Used to think I wanted to be a part time rally racer after high school. All I had was a 99' Cavalier RS because college.

Still put up better times than WRXs.

overrated.
>>
>>14253305
If you're going to school you really aren't going to even use your car much. I'd just buy a wagon, maybe a subaru or bmw, for under 10k and call it a day. Life in college is expensive, and trust me, you don't want student loan debt to ass rape you for the next 15 years. also be sure to get a real degree pls.
>>
>>14253283
before getting my focus ST I considered the wrx hatch because awd. Noped out when I saw subaru prices, and picked up a very nice condition focus after test driving it and the fiesta.

the other choice was a speed3 but the miles were a lot higher, and the dealer was doing 'a lot of repairs on it'
>>
>>14253326
Competition rifles and shotguns. Really long shotguns for trap and sporting clays.

Clay thrower for practicing in a private field my parents own. Some construction supplies and scrap for work.

>>14253328
I think they're pretty expensive to insure because of the WRX/STi tag despite being a wagon or hatch.

>>14253342
I'm a competition shooter, so I travel around the country a lot as well.
>>
>>14253304
>>14253330
>>14253341
>>14253360

Hey, i didn't say the wrx was the holy grail. I like it. Some days I don't. They're rough around the edges but give a very pure driving experience. To each their own.
>>
>>14253420
>14'
>pure driving experience
>drive by wire
>electronic clutch sensor
>always on eps

Ya, naaaah
>>
>>14253434
da fuck is eps?
>>
>>14253457
electronic penis sensor
>>
>>14253457
Electric power steering
>>
A good buddy of mine got a Focus ST as his first car and really enjoyed it the first few months he had it, then he mailed it to Shelby, and once it came back he really really enjoyed it.
>>
I have a Fiesta ST. 5 people is a stretch unless at least one of them is somebody's tiny Asian girlfriend or something. 4 can manage if the guys in the back are less than 6'2" or so.

I actually find that the biggest size issue with the car is that if you have a big guy in the passenger seat, you end up fighting over elbow room when shifting.

The Focus is much better on space, and has an edge in a straight line and maybe overall lap times depending on track, the Fiesta is pretty much better in every other way.
>>
>>14253434
>drive by wire
far more reliable than cable throttle

>electronic clutch sensor
it's literally a button on the clutch pedal that you can just disconnect from the pedal and lock closed

>always on eps
EPS blows hydro ps out of the fucking water, is more reliable, and is a must in a modern FWD car

sorry, they don't build shitboxes like it's 1985 anymore
>>
>>14254522
>>drive by wire
>far more reliable than cable throttle

wewlad
>>
>>14254528
if your DBW throttle goes bad you either have ECU problems or an older Ford/GM with poor electrical weatherproofing

less moving parts is always better, just because you can "fix" a snapped throttle cable in a pinch doesn't make it better in any way.
>>
File: wew.jpg (363KB, 1434x807px) Image search: [Google]
wew.jpg
363KB, 1434x807px
>>14253189
I bought the fiesta st a week ago and so far i love it

theres not a lot of room in the car (its a small car), but you can get a bit in there if you fold down the seats
>>
File: IMAG0258.jpg (2MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0258.jpg
2MB, 2688x1520px
>>14253189
All this talk, and you're not considering getting a cheap, old ass 4th generation catfish Camaro V6. They've got a big ass rear hatch, that you can lay down basically in.
And they get fairly good mileage unlike, the Z28/SS like I've got here.
>>
File: 20151013_144453.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20151013_144453.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>14253189
Focus st's are great dd's go for it
>>
Well guys, I've decided to get a 2003 Corolla instead. Use the money towards college and maybe later I'll get a hot hatch.

I figured I'm going to be on a campus with a bunch of stancefags, brotrucks, and horrible drivers. Why buy a new car and probably have it totaled at a stoplight because some cunt can't pay attention?
>>
>>14254643
Also, it's a free car which was garaged most of it's life by my uncle.
>>
>>14254654
>free
>literally zero dollars

can't beat that

get a motorcycle if you want your kicks a year from now, or a unreliable project car like half of /o/
>>
File: nucar.jpg (18KB, 450x300px)
nucar.jpg
18KB, 450x300px
So guys i'm looking at either a focus or fiesta SE model. I've found a few 2012-2013 for $7-8k on the Focus SE

I can't find many Fiestas

Which one is the cheaper to own/operate daily driver?

Also NADA says I should pay $7k clean retail so is that what I should haggle off of? Or the clean trade in price?
>>
File: fiesta RS.jpg (481KB, 1599x1062px) Image search: [Google]
fiesta RS.jpg
481KB, 1599x1062px
>>14253189
Go for Fiesta ST man, the Fiesta is more compact and cooler, focus is like for families with kids and shit. But if you need a lot of space in the trunk get focus, also i dont like the focus beign larger.
>>
>>
>>14255338
>Daewoo Lacetti
No thanks.
>>
File: a73tCCY.gif (2MB, 350x197px) Image search: [Google]
a73tCCY.gif
2MB, 350x197px
>>14254675
Help me /o/ i'd rather not make a new thread for this question!
>>
>>14254675
I know for sure the auto in the pre facelift focus SE is stuttery as hell. It's pretty annoying and hard to get used to. Otherwise good cars

You could probably pick up a 14-15 fiesta for nearly 11k. When I was searching ford was willing to finance a fiesta SE 2015 for 72mo at 0% apr. Just saying, idk if you want to buy outright or finance

Fiesta will probably be cheaper in the long run and the autos definitely get better mpg than focus
>>
>>14254675
>7-8k for a few year old car
it's probably beat to shit. Get something cool off your local craigslist.
>>
>>14256172
Planned on buying outright. Don't make enough a year for most financing offers due to college senior.

>>14256182
These cars are pretty cheap new; just an econobox. Check your local craigslist you'll see what I mean.

Only reason I figure they're cheap is because it's a fairly slow boring 4 door sedan but it gets good gas mileage.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.