[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do engineers design cars these days, or are they all designed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

File: HSV_ClubSport_R8_Tourer.jpg (63KB, 1140x643px) Image search: [Google]
HSV_ClubSport_R8_Tourer.jpg
63KB, 1140x643px
Do engineers design cars these days, or are they all designed by retarded "designers" with an arts degree?
>>
>>14242090
the government designs cars.
>>
The problem is that engineers design cars, not the other way around.
>>
People complained that popular manufacturers were making "boring" or "generic" looking cars, despite this being fine because they were built for a boring purpose: going A to B. So they responded to that complaint without really knowing what to do with their cars, and while having to remain within safety standards.

That's why modern cars are confusingly designed and are shaped like bars of soap.
>>
>>14242090

Engineers ≠ Designers.

Engineers and designers are constantly at odds with each other. The end product is a synthesis of all their compromises and government regulation.
>>
>lewronggeneration
Give me a sound engineering reason for pop-up headlights or tailfins
>>
>>14242281
aerodynamics.
>>
>>14242090
Accountants
>>
>>14242281
Protects against vandalism
>>
>>14242096
annnnnnnddd.....there it is.
>>
>>14242090
They've all already been designed. The jewloominati created them long ago. Do you ever wonder why there are never any postings for either job?

Car makes are just slowly phasing them in and sucking up the contents of your wallet.
>>
>>14242090
Whats wrong with the vf wags?
>>
Left: engineers designing a car
Right: designers designing a car

I'm not really sure which one I prefer. Actually both were designed by designers, it's just that in the Z3 coupe case the design came after all the engineering stuff.
>>
>>14242661
You retards realise designers are engineers right?

Most engineers are nancy pansy bitch college students who cant even imagine dirt getting under their finger nails.
>>
>>14242651
Aside from those fuckhuge pillars that make it a pain to back up anywhere, not a lot really.
>>
>>14242671
>Most engineers are nancy pansy bitch college students who cant even imagine dirt getting under their finger nails.
am engineer and this
>>
>>14242672
arent they huge for the side curtain air bags and so the roof doesnt cave in if the car rolls?
>5 star safety rating cars
>95% chance of survival at 80km/h into a concrete wall
And people wonder why new cars are fucking ugly, they try to do the best they can within the limits of the laws.
>>
>>14242680
Why did you go the college route instead of becoming a real engineer that welds pipes and always has a cigarette hanging out his mouth?

You are the bloke that gets in shit when the guy welding pipes with a fag in is mouth fucks up, Totally worth the 4 years of college for that extra $4/hour pay lol
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 470x313px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 470x313px
Gone are the days when company's made good cars that last. The vf is just some euro shitbox
>>
>>14242682
Yeah, they are. They even have airbags in the boot. Which I guess is a cool feature if it stops your shit bouncing off that back and into the cabin to kill you, but it absolutely kills rearward visibility.
>>
>>14242688
The VF and VE are literally the only Australian designed and built Holdens ya drongo, Even the xu-1 Toranas are an Opel that was widened and had a bigger engine slapped in it.
>>
>>14242688
>The vf is just some euro shitbox
>Posts a car designed in Europe
>>
>>14242688
>The vf is just some euro shitbox
>posts a modified Opel
>>
>>14242686
Real life isn't TF2, buddy.

>bloke
Maybe in Australia it works differently, but here the salary disparity between skilled laborers and engineers is quite large.
>>
>>14242671
>Most engineers are nancy pansy bitch college students who cant even imagine dirt getting under their finger nails.

Not even an engineer, but I'd like to see mechanics go through all the calculus required for an engineering degree and the mental ability needed to even make a successful career out of engineering.

>>14242686
>Average Automotive Engineering Salary. In 2011, automotive engineers earned an average income of $117,600 in 2011.
>>
>>14242729
I know a bunch of mechanical engineers, to be honest you're never going to use 90% of the maths you need to learn in that field when you actually get a job. I don't think they teach enough practical skills with those degrees.
>>
>>14242735
The math is just to filter out retards.
>>
>>14242728
So wait boiler makers don't earn around $3000 a week where you live?
Average about $64/hour over here, Engineers might be on $68.

Admitted a boiler maker in say a machine work shop only earns around $30 an hour or $1500ish a week.
>>
>>14242729
Im not a mechanic but i would like to see an engineer have the patience to find a Jesus clip.

Mechanics have a cunt of a job, who actually likes working on car engines? no one thats who, they are cunts of things and anyone who says otherwise is naive.
>>
>>14242735
The math classes are there to prove you aren't going to be a flake and fuck up at learning complex shit on the job.

College is barely about practical skills for better or worse; more a way to prove that you know how to learn.
>>
>>14242787
Isnt a college degree basically a 4 year apprenticeship you pay for that provides no real world experience?
>>
>>14242793
If you aren't dumb, you do internships in your field of interest before you graduate and make connections. If those don't exist in your field, then you've probably fucked it all up forever for yourself.

Bachelors are just the new highschool diploma though.
>>
>>14242671
Designers are not engineers. Designer primary skill is drawing things on paper. Engineers primary skill is applied math. Engineer being or not being a "hands on" person is completely arbitrary. I'm an engineer of some sorts (physics degree, embedded software developer) and I service my car and have even hacked some software on my bmw. It's a stereotype that's perpetuated by mechanics which didn't go for a degree and are now butthurt, because screws for something are not in the "right place" while they wouldn't know shit about how cars are actually made (CAD software, simulations, ECUs etc.).
>>
>>14242836
You realise all Engineers need to know math right?
You also realise there is more than 1 type of Engineer, Engineering is a fairly fucking huge industry.
>>
>>14242836
btw we learned to use tri cad in year 9 engineering class for the CNC machine, what shitty college did you go to?
>>
>>14242819
Over here you do a 4 year apprenticeship and thats your training, on the job training.

No wonder Seppos are a pack of useless cunts.
>>
>>14242779
"Boiler maker" is a niche field with a few elite master craftsmen and middle-of-the-road demand. Your average pipe layer isn't going to make $3000 a week.
>>
>>14242843
what are you trying to say? I said that the one common thing of engineers is the applied math skill. fuck learn to read. ofcourse there are types of engineers
>>
>>14242783
>no one thats who, they are cunts of things and anyone who says otherwise is naive.
This. It's pretty much heart surgery when you're doing serious wrenching.

If it weren't that cool job that every high school dropout who watched The Fast and the Furious wanted, it would be a lucrative job.
>>
>>14242846
i'm not a mechanical engineer. learning to use a CNC and designing a part of a car are two different skill levels though. it's like comparing making a site in PHP and writing a device driver in software developer terms. fuck me dead
>>
>>14242714
>Kingswood
>Modified Opel
m8
>>
>>14242783
I do, but i'd never want to be a mechanic professionally.

>>14242765
>>14242787
Honestly If i've gone through a bunch of accelerated maths programs in high school, doesn't that prove that i'm not a fucking retard?

Hell after going through my fucking A-levels doesn't that prove I know how to learn? Honestly by i'm sure i've forgotten all of the calculus classes I did.
>>
>>14242916
On the other hand I don't think it does anything because doing well in school /= doing well professionally or in life.

I know some engineers who are the dumbest cunts ever and makes me wonder every day how it is they managed to get their degrees.
>>
>>14242916
You would be as green as a 16 year old apprentice your first few weeks on the job, basically your college is useless because so is knowing how to do math when you have a calculator in your tool box.

If i told you to rip the 3rd wall out of a boiler to replace 17 different different pipes with no plans you would probably just look at me funny.
>>
>>14242090
I wish they kept the 1 piece taillights from the vt/vx for future gens, wouldve looked sick
>>
>>14242916
>Honestly If i've gone through a bunch of accelerated maths programs in high school, doesn't that prove that i'm not a fucking retard?
Probably, but if it's too easily it's still fucks with the candidate pool.

If engineering were seen as a life-and-death matter (as it should be, see http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/06/15/psycho_robot/ as an example), then maybe engineers would have to take even more math so that they don't cause catastrophes.

Irrelevant but I'm pretty sure I could still pass a high school calculus test.
>>
File: holden-ve-sportwagon-1-big.jpg (92KB, 800x656px) Image search: [Google]
holden-ve-sportwagon-1-big.jpg
92KB, 800x656px
>>14242953
Ehhhh...

I think it looks cool because it's different. If it was the norm it would probably wear thin. Also, my piss poor MS Paint skills.
>>
>>14242671
I'm an engineer and we're always in a constant war with designers. They always want to build some shit that's not physically possible or is against regulation.
>>
>>14243033
or costs £100,000 to implement
>>
>>14243033
>>14243080
Designers just want things that look pretty
Engineers have to make it work.
>>
File: puresex.jpg (76KB, 600x326px) Image search: [Google]
puresex.jpg
76KB, 600x326px
>>14242352
>aerodynamics
>>
>>14242993
It should curve into a smaller line i reckon
>>
>>14242102
So cars should design engineers?
>>
>>14242281
Pop ups protect against rock damage and chipping. Why expose your headlights to road damage when they are only used half the time?
>>
>>14242661
Wrong on so many levels. The Z4 M Roadster/Coupe is so much sexier than the Z3 M Roadster/Coupe. It is also twice the car.
>>
>>14243033
>or is against regulation
So you're the fuckers that keeps us from having nice things
>>
>>14242661
Also, both of those cars originated in roadster trim. Then came the coupe versions. Then they became M cars. The coupe and M versions were both an after thought of the roadster. And the Z4 coupe has one of the stiffest chassis ever. Both are engineering marvels with the right touch of designer charm. I've owned both and I certainly prefer the Z4 to the Z3.
>>
>>14245601
kek
>>
>>14242671
> Mech Eng student
> Spent 5 months working on Forklifts, the dirtiest fucking machines you'll ever touch
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.