[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

modifications for performance?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: 1445464414694.jpg (606KB, 985x739px) Image search: [Google]
1445464414694.jpg
606KB, 985x739px
Hey /o/,

I got my hands on a 300zx N/A a few weeks ago and was wondering what kind of modifications I could put my money towards as far as street performance and handling goes. I don't go to track days but spend a lot of time in the mountains either alone or with friends doing uphill/downhill runs.

From what I understand, I should for sure get new coil-overs and wheels/tires, but what else? Not really looking for horsepower/speed gains but more shit that goes towards handling / how the car feels.
>>
>>14226342
I'd say new wheels/tires first, like you mentioned. Then see if the brakes need upgrading.
Also weight reduction bro.
>>
>>14226342
NONE. well aside from maintenance.You can get some coil overs and it will ride like absolute garbage on the streets. Get the turbo stock stuff, it's awesome. Seriously. get nice wheels and tires. And get bad ass brakes. that's it. You will never make it fast so don't waste money on exhaust (it WILL sound like garbage on the NA). Intakes are useless, just get pod filters. Just spend money fixing all the bushings with aftermarket ones. Get 120k service done. Get everything fixed. Wheel, tires, brakes. that's all you need.
>>
>>14226389
>NONE. well aside from maintenance.
Been doing minor maintenance on it already.

>You can get some coil overs and it will ride like absolute garbage on the streets
Really? A lot of people online seem to think otherwise, why will it ride like shit? Just curious. By turbo stock stuff do you mean buy the stock coil-overs from the TT and put them on?

>Seriously. get nice wheels and tires. And get bad ass brakes. that's it.
What should I be looking towards for the 300zx?

>You will never make it fast so don't waste money on exhaust (it WILL sound like garbage on the NA)
Previous owner put in a magnaflow exhaust, it already sounds like garbage :(

What aftermarket bushings should I go for? Also I'm at 80k miles and the 60k mile service was done at 50k miles so I'm going to do the 120k at around 110k.
>>
Dont touch it. NA 300zx isnt worth anything. MOdding it wont do anything except make it loud and harder to sell. Do yourself a favor and fix it up. Keep everything stock. Enjoy a nice car
>>
>>14226342
Z31 or z32. Honestly, forget 300zx as they're two completely different cars
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8QKK5IDSXE
>>
>>14226422
Sorry bro was out for sushi.
>coils
Most people that buy coil overs think they are awesome, for about a month (or they are boy racers who have never driven a NICE car). They are not. Sure there are some, but the stock turbo shocks and springs are amazing. IF you just want coils get the powertix or BC. then way down the line, tien (I hated them for a daily). But those coils will run you $1300 with the pillow ball. Better just to get a NICE ride with stock stuff.

>wheels
There are so many options here just go to twinturbo.net a look around. I like the LMgt4's and enkei rpf. tires depends on where you live

>exhaust
The ONLY exhaust that is OKAY on the NA is BnB, but its super expensive and always on back order.

>bushings
either whiteline or energy suspension. I think whiteline is better. You can also get solid bushings for some parts. Check out Z1 motorsports or concept Z or Import parts pro for parts.

Basically the Z does not do well with shit mods. And the good mods are expensive. The car with coils will ride ROUGH AS FUCK (lol hurrr racecarrrr) unless you spend money on good ones.
>>
>>14227328
all this is assuming its a Z32. if not disregard everything.

If z31, throw it in the fucking garbage if you want a car for driving fast.
>>
>>14226342
I loved my z32, fug the haters man, get some decent coils, stiffer the better and some nice sticky tires and you are gold, i had mine from age 14-17 and the only thing maintence wise i had to do was t belt and water pump and the related gaskets. Itll eat thru rear tires but shes a nice bitch in the rain and hella fun. God i miss that car. Ignore people here most ofem are benchracer ND cucks. ITS A GREAT CAR FOR WHAT IT IS EVEN IN THE NA/AUTO. So long as it has decent maintnence history you will be GOLD. I put 100k on mine in the time i owned it and still sold it for about the same my dad got it for when he bought it for me. Warning the bay is a bit cramped but so long as bolts arent too rusty and you have a haynes manual you will be iight. Hell i never wrenched and did my tbelt when i was 14 with barely any help aside from setting the timing.
>>
>>14227375
>stiffer the better
>14-17
Makes sense. Are you 18 now? Fucking kids... Stiffer =/= better.
>>
>>14227328
You're an idiot
Go away
You're basically saying not to mod any car ever
>>
>>14227328
Agree with this about coil overs, couple friends have them in sporty-ish cars and while they do handle better, if you daily drive your car i'd recommend springs/shocks
>>
>>14227461
>reading is hard
I never said nor implied that you idiot. We're talking about the 300zx NA which I am extremely familiar with. Where did I say no never modify any car ever?
>>
>>14227328
>>14227335

Yep, it's a Z32. I'll look into some of the shit you talked about, thanks.

>>14227375
Yeah, it's an amazing car so far, I love it.
>>
>>14227328
would thicker sway bars and better dampers work well with stock springs ?

I figure its a way to improve grip without making the car too bouncy
>>
>>14227680
Get the stillen bars fi you want, but the bushings and suspension make MUCH more of a difference. Too thick up front on the Z and enjoy your new understeer. The stock springs are great either way. If you get coils I HIGHLY recommend to get hte car corner weighted and balanced. You'd be surprised how fucked the weight distribution is when you change them.

ALL 300zx 2+0 have 26.5mm forn bars.2+2 is 28mm
And the rear is 16mm for NA, 20mm for 2+2 and 26mm for TT.

US specs.
>>
>>14227420
For a heavy ass car like that? What am i missing something?
>>
>>14227885
Yeah, that the people who built the cars aren't morons. And that when you put coils on a car you fuck up the weight distribution on all 4 corners and the suspension geometry. usually resulting in worse handling (but mahhhh feels!!!). Our race car, we had to sit down and plan out a full suspension build so it would be better, not a net loss or the same. A harder ride doesn't mean higher turn in speeds, better lateral grip, and better weight transfer.
>>
>>14227939
never claimed it did. But leave it to the trip guys to jump down someones everytime we dont min max the living shit out of every single mod. To be honest, i wanted my slammed look and not so much body roll, which j achieved. With stiffer speing rates. I assumed op isnt trying to set lap records and just gave him my 2 cents. I would understand the response better if i was actually claiming to be the Z expert. MY BAD 300zxgoyplsgo
>>
I was going to say bushings as well, personally I have coils and never regretted it even after DDing for a year. I will eventually buy some Powertrix but for now even the cheaonones I have feel fine. Make sure 120k kit is done as previosly stated maybe check out the Akebono kits or something similar for brakes.
>>
get these motor mounts

https://conceptzperformance.com/bde-lower-profile-motor-mounts-nissan-300zx-90-96-z32-bde-11220-lp_p_3490.php

their kinda a pain in the ass to install on the car but felt good while it worked.

bought them on a meth fueled impulse when i needed new mounts kek

its compatible with the TT when and if you upgrade
>>
File: 3490l.jpg (216KB, 846x736px) Image search: [Google]
3490l.jpg
216KB, 846x736px
>>14229143
still got teh brain damage
>>
>>14229143
These are the mounts I plan to get
>>
Powertrix SS and wheels/tires to start. Brakes you can upgrade to z33 Brembos or just 13" rotor and bracket upgrade. JWT intake.

I run Powertrix coils with 7/5 springs and they're perfectly streetable on Socal streets. Powertrix regularly runs sales so you can pick them up for about $850.
>>
>>14229143
what do motor mounts do?

>>14229262
from what I understand, good tires / wheels should be my first upgrade if I'm doing upgrades? I heard that the z32 was a bitch to work on and was expensive so I saved up a few thousand for repair/maintenance/parts cost before I bought it so I should be good.
>>
Turn it into a poopra killer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2QtrMdgBg0
>>
>>14229554
Keep your engine in the car. nbd
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.