[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

OK so I love the idea of fixing a car up myself but >no tools

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

OK so I love the idea of fixing a car up myself but
>no tools whatsoever
>literally ZERO experience
>no garage, driveway or anything like that

Now I can't be the only one like this. Surely some of you have overcome this shit, but how?
>>
Start by changing your own oil, then move on to harder stuff like brakes and since you have no experience use youtube or have someone whos mechanically inclined walk you through it so you dont fuck your car up
>>
>>14223987
>no tools whatsoever
Start with a small mechanics set. Then purchase a set of jack stands and a jack.

As long as you can read and follow directions there isn't a whole lot you can't do without experience.

Forums are great for in depth tutorials. Most people even know of a better way than the manual may suggest.

Did everything on the dirt for years. Winter is always a blast. Two seconds of touching anything and your hands are nearly useless.

>Now I can't be the only one like this. Surely some of you have overcome this shit, but how?
Hardest part is getting over the fact you can screw your daily up. However it was I either fixed it myself or I went without a ride. Between my Chilton's manual and my buddies all data account I never had any major problems.

You grow up quick when you grow up poor.
>>
>>14224026
This

I started from changing tires when I'm 15 and I'm now replacing alternator and control arms.

I finally got an impact driver and work is getting done in an hour or less instead of a couple hours.

Start off with a socket tool kit.
>>
>>14224100
I'm 26 btw
>>
>>14224100
>>14224098
>>14224026
thanks a lot fellas
>>
File: IMG_20150419_084500.jpg (1MB, 3231x1972px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150419_084500.jpg
1MB, 3231x1972px
>>14223987
Buy an old truck. 70's to late 80's. Easiest vehicles to learn on and you can have your tools, fluids, cleaning products, and rags in a toolbox in the bed or stored behind the seat. The engine compartment is massive enough to sit in, the engines are simple and straightforward, for a lot of routine maintenance you don't even need to jack it up to get underneath, they're typically very durable and go a long way on shitty parts/botched maintenance, tons of interior space for accessing wiring/under the dash, and on and on. You can find an old GM or Ford pickup in damn good shape for $3000 and under no problem, ideal vehicles to learn on.
>>
>>14224995
I do at least 75% of my routine maintenance on the side of the road with nothing but a small bottle jack that I keep under the hood, it's no big deal when you always have your tools/fluids with you.
>>
>>14224995
This. The only downside is horrid mpg,but the benefit is great lines, a bench seat and they're surprisingly fun to drive
>>
>>14225022
All about the smiles per gallon if you can afford it.
>>
File: Snapchat-1217623006957736457.jpg (587KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1217623006957736457.jpg
587KB, 1080x1920px
>>14225044
Truth
>>
File: pPYYhai.jpg (145KB, 484x704px) Image search: [Google]
pPYYhai.jpg
145KB, 484x704px
>>14223987
>>
>>14224995
>tfw I'm not American

What's a good alternative for people in Europe?
>>
>>14224100
>impact driver
So fucking good for working on rustbuckets
>>
>>14225129
MANTA
A
N
T
A
>>
>>14225129
>tfw I'm not American
Aw shit. Well you better ask a Yuro then. Seems like a lot of them drive old BMWs?
>>
>>14223987
>no tools whatsoever
get some
works some
get one
>>
>>14223987
>I love the idea of fixing a car up myself

You're in for a shock
>>
Step 1: Aquire running shitbox with no major issues (no blown headgasket etc).
Step 2: Use the holy Google and forums to troubleshoot issues.
Step 3: Get the necessary tools.
Step 4: With interweb guidance start working on it.

Dont try an engine swap in the driveway and you mostly wont need a garage. Suck it up when its cold.

Have fun doing 15min jobs for 3h due to rusty bolts.
>>
>>14225129
Older Mercedes like the W202 or W124 can still be had for cheap sometimes i good condition and they were designed with ease of maintenance in mind. You might be out of luck in eastern Europe though since they tend to be unreasonably expensive there.
>>
>>14225129
Go Honda or Toyota for reliability and lack of major issues.
>>
Get an old civic. 88-99. you will learn everything you will need to in a realistic sense and everything is extremly easy to work on. great learner car.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.