[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HYBRADs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

File: 2626047641_17a564dc48_o.jpg (339KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2626047641_17a564dc48_o.jpg
339KB, 1600x1200px
I was dicking around last night reading about MIMA mods on G1 Honda Insights and came across an E-wheel, and that led to more HYBRADs.

>Ahybrid adapter, or HYBRAD, is a device which turns any single fuel passenger class vehicle into a multi-fuel /hybrid vehicle. One example is a hybrid adapter that simply plugs into the back of your vehicle and pushes it. Hybrid adapters run simultaneously, or in parallel, with your existing drivetrain. HYBRADS still fall in the realm of DIY Hybrids, as there is no commercially available option.

Any thoughts on this? It's currently only used with ecomodding in mind, but it's literally bolt on power.

Pic related - a mock up of a category III HYBRAD
>>
Lol that just looks silly
>>
>>14217340
silly like a fox
>>
>>14217326
>being pushed by a trailer
Nothing good can come from this.
>>
File: getimage-1.jpg (64KB, 384x687px) Image search: [Google]
getimage-1.jpg
64KB, 384x687px
Category II HYBRAD, an ewheel
>The drop down electrically driven wheel represents the biggest new concept here, and the one that generated the most interest, as it allows the ability to flip a switch, drop an electrically powered E-wheel and drive for 30 or more miles with pure electric drive. An instant EV conversion.
>>
File: m-unknown-2.jpg (44KB, 640x430px) Image search: [Google]
m-unknown-2.jpg
44KB, 640x430px
>>14217340
I'm sure the PT Cruiser is optional.

>>14217351
It's done in heavy haul every day.
>>
File: wheeldownsideviewjpg0.jpg (47KB, 640x271px) Image search: [Google]
wheeldownsideviewjpg0.jpg
47KB, 640x271px
I think this is qt as fuck, but not really as versatile as the category III.
>started with an electric wheelchair wheel
>moved up to a scooter wheel
>>
>>14217326
I saw something like this years ago for a bicycle. It seemed like it worked pretty well for his application.
>>
>>14217437
Neat. I've only seen category I's mounted on bikes. (Usually a motor driving a stock wheel via roller)
>>
>>14217378
Super heavy haul also doesn't move at 70 mph and its operators are highly trained.
>>
>>14217453
Superloads and heavy haul are two different things. Beam trucks with pushers like that one are usually only restricted to 10mph under the posted limit if at all.
>>
>>14217453
Some sort of gyro or guidebar would satiate any concerns of the trailer jackknifing or pushing an idiot too hard around a corner. It's only adding power, not being the sole source. If the output was only 20% of the propelling power, it'd only potentially cause slipping in winter situations. If the power was 50%, all it would take is some sort of IR bar on the bumper, and a small IR light post on the trailer: once the angle is too much, the light wouldn't hit the bar, causing power to be cut until the light is seen by the bar again.
>>
>>14217326
>simply plugs into the back of your vehicle and pushes it.
Quite literally the worst thing you can do in terms of driving dynamics. This shit is really dangerous, especially at some speed.

>>14217480
Difference is, they also have another unit pulling the trailer, not just a trailer being pushed around
>>
>>14217498
>Difference is, they also have another unit pulling the trailer, not just a trailer being pushed around
see
>>14217326
>Hybrid adapters run simultaneously, or in parallel, with your existing drivetrain
and
>>14217492
>It's only adding power, not being the sole source.
>>
>>14217518
Still really bad for driving dynamics, and not being able to operate without the combustion engine being active takes away a lot of potential.
>>
>>14217326
> Pushing
> On a tow hitch
> Expecting it to ever overcome the added weight and drag
>>
>>14217566
Drag would be minimal. It's the rolling resistance of the tires that would kill any efficiency gain.
>>
>>14217340

So does the smart car. People no longer care about how cars look, they care about mileage.
>>
>>14217480
>Beam trucks with pushers like that one are usually only restricted to 10mph under the posted limit if at all.
That's adventurous to say the least, operating in excess of a hundred tons of weight on public roads with multiple drivers at close to the speed limit. On the other hand it's probably a different setting in terms of infrastructure in the US than here in Germany. We have rivers and canals accessing most regions so big transport happens on water for as much distance as possible and only switches to roads when absolutely necessary, and then at a snail's pace at night only.
>>
>>14217527
Well, if you want to drag around 400lbs of batteries for a 40mi boost, that's fine, but this is a pretty easy way to give an EV unlimited range. Easy way to run dual fuel, too, since it opens up propane, methane, ethanol, methanol, diesel, etc for fuel use without touching the car's powerplant.

>>14217527
It doesn't have to be, but it helps.

>>14217583
Not really. Using electric drive, or a series hybrid setup on the HYBRAD both improve fuel efficiency. That category II I posted breaks 120mpg, about 20mpg of which the HYBRAD is responsible for, since it can run up to 30 miles under 30mph on its own, which are the speeds and conditions that ICEs are poor performers.

>>14217614
100tons is usually considered a superload. 45-80ton loads run 60-80mph every day.

Our waterways have been mostly neglected over the last century. Rail was on the way out for a while, too, but pretty much everything moves on a truck at some point in the first or last 100 miles. Other than a few barges in major rivers most water based transport is oceanic.
>>
>>14217566
This, the driven electric wheel is going to waste some of it's effort in lifting the rear of the car. there is also the added weight and ROLLING RESISTANCE as has already been pointed out by this anon ----> >>14217583

quite apart from having to look like OP this is literal trash.
>>
>>14217818
200-600lbs lift isn't much for a 15-40hp motor. All wheels lose energy lifting their vehicle, though.
>>
File: cat_carrier.jpg (28KB, 475x341px) Image search: [Google]
cat_carrier.jpg
28KB, 475x341px
>>14217326
You mean that retarded thing is real? I thought it was cat carrier / bread gloves level bullshit.
>>
>>14218620
It can be both.
>>
>>14218620
>>14220384
Outboards for cars aren't new; they're just one of those things that gets thrown out periodically but doesn't stick because a) nobody wants to park that shit everyday, b) very few people both drive far enough and have enough aspergers to want one.

That said, I want one. Actually, what I really want to do is build a wood gas producer on a trailer and get an old truck to dual-fuel with wood gas. Drive that bitch around on pinecones and cow shit.
>>
>>14220416
Aww yiss. That's my jam.
>>
Why don't the axles on hybrid/electric cars have alternators attached to recharge the battery? It shouldn't increase resistance more than the amount of electricity would provide.
>>
>>14222318
Because for that system to be worth using it would need to be perpetual energy and that is impossible.
>>
>>14222356
I guess what I'm thinking of is regenerative braking, though I didn't see any past systems that work quite like I was imagining. Have a clutch with a solenoid to disengage the armature so it's not increasing resistance/charging while the motor is putting power to the wheels, then engage it while coasting and/or braking, sort of having an engine braking effect without a manual transmission.

Unless the diagrams just weren't clear and that actually is how some of them work.
>>
>>14217818
>and ROLLING RESISTANCE as has already been pointed out
>>14217583

I forgot /o/ was a bunch of autists. I was using drag as a general term for the resistance of the thing.

It still looks stupid. It's probably not very efficient. And considering that you ALSO need a tow hitch on the back for it to attach to, you'll be better off without it.

Now, if I was pulling a trailer ANYWAY, that might appeal to me as something to add to it. Especially if I can hook a remote control to it and bypass the safeties to manoeuvre the unhitched trailer without burning fuel like crazy.
I'd also slap solar panels on top, because you can get a shocking amount of power in summer, even at this stupid latitude. And summer IS prime roadtrip season.

This might have applications for heavy goods operations, when the weight is barely an issue and you've already got two or three trailer axles and a fuckhuge diesel engine.
>>
File: Coche-electrico-remolque-tzero.jpg (28KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Coche-electrico-remolque-tzero.jpg
28KB, 640x480px
Instead of making a hybrid by sticking a powered trailer behind a regular car, why not make a trailer that you fuel up and it charges your electric car on the go?
The average person who cares about efficiency is going to buy a regular hybrid or an electric, good luck convincing anyone else to strap a powered trailer behind their car to push. With a single point it would push from, if the car has even a little too much resistance (say, it's really heavy) the trailer is just going to power itself sideways and push the back of the car to the side and/or power jackknife.
>>
File: 20151127_162924.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20151127_162924.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Maybe that's why this old Merc diesel I saw one day had three trailer hitches - for some weird traction motor trailer setup.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.