[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think of my idea

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

File: i is smrt.png (29KB, 1600x800px) Image search: [Google]
i is smrt.png
29KB, 1600x800px
What do you think of my idea
>>
>>14211591
Or you could just use hydraulic steering...
>>
>>14211609
That adds complexity and weight, and can fail
>>
>>
File: 1451000029625.jpg (21KB, 529x604px) Image search: [Google]
1451000029625.jpg
21KB, 529x604px
>not doing go-go gadget arms
>>
File: footlooseandfancyfree.jpg (279KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
footlooseandfancyfree.jpg
279KB, 1500x1000px
Its an interesting idea, but I hope it has some sort of auto-tilt/raising system for low-slung cars. How do you fit your legs in when you are in parking mode?

I drew a diagram to show what I mean.
>>
Or you could just not be a pussy
>>
>>14211625
MURDERKNOBS
>>
>>14211614
And the idea in the original post doesn't?
>>
>>14211591
Just get a suicide knob, pictured here>>14211625
>>
>>14211591
Honestly would probably cost more to implement than very cheap power steering systems.

When power steering is omitted it is almost always to save cost and complexity. In those cases manufacturers will also prefer to simply use a larger steering wheel.
>>
On-demand electric boost is the best option right now. It's become quite popular with classic owners in Europe and the UK lately, and usually consists of a replacement steering column with an electric motor geared to it and a small computer to make it all work. It lets you keep the manual rack and all of its feel while at speed, but switch on power steering when you need it.

By the way, it's not just about being a pussy - classic car steering was designed to work properly with tires with much less grip than modern ones. If you want to exploit modern rubber on, say, a Countach, you'll find that low-speed steering effort is far beyond what it was originally intended to be, and on some classic cars, it even opens the possibility of damaging the steering wheel or associated hardware.
>>
>>14213202
Would manual steering be difficult with modern tires if the car was lightweight and had thin wheels (like, let's say a Miata/Elise/FRS at the heaviest)
>>
>>14211609
...Or you could just get a bigger steering wheel.
>>
File: 10082964.jpg (51KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
10082964.jpg
51KB, 500x500px
>>14213202
>It's become quite popular with classic owners in Europe and the UK lately

Too bad these don't have the same popularity
>>
>>14213248
The Elise would be fine, it comes with no PAS as standard.
FRS and ND MX5 probably not. ND for one runs a large caster angle and the column itself is said to be a lightweight design (so risks deformation with high loads)
>>
>>14213248
Modern Miatas do come with manual steering
>>
File: sideways-car.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sideways-car.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>14211847
>>14211866
>>14211625

Why are these a bad thing

never understood it
>>
>>14214004
>airbag forces the damn thing off in a crash, flying like shrapnel
>>
>>14211729
Just make it tilt up or lift I guess?
>>
>>14213248
A light car with narrow wheels isn't too bad. It's really on big heavy GTs and stuff that aftermarket EPAS is a major help.
>>
File: synchroassy2.png (280KB, 700x462px) Image search: [Google]
synchroassy2.png
280KB, 700x462px
how about a rack and pinion system with an electric power system attached to it that can connect and disconnect the way a manual transmission goes in and out of gear so you can either turn with your pinky finger or have a pure and precise turning experience
>>
>>14213202
>on some classic cars, it even opens the possibility of damaging the steering wheel or associated hardware.
So you put a motor in to force it harder than you could by hand? How is this a fix?
>>
>remove power steering from my relatively lightweight car
>feels good man
>pretty much no difference, even at low speeds
>replace crappy all seasons with 30mm wider, sticky tires
>now have to muscle the wheel around when parking
>still no need for a bigger wheel or some crazy variable sized wheel shit
DYEL, OP?
>>
>>14214482
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_steering

Been done already.
>>
>>14214004
it's legal if you're handicapped, but the only other reason to have one is
>getting sideways
which the law frowns upon
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.