[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your opinion on the lotus elise/exige? Im really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8

File: 14818618593_06c016546a_o1.jpg (769KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
14818618593_06c016546a_o1.jpg
769KB, 1200x800px
What's your opinion on the lotus elise/exige?

Im really thinking in seliing all my cars and get me one of these (i DD'd a miata for 3 years)

i wanted an NSX bit the prices nowadays are fuking ridiculous.

Opinions? Better cars for thr price? (around 30k)

PS: im not going to stance it, and my miata wasn't stanced either
>>
>all my cars
I hope your work is close enough to bicycle there. Because even that is more comfortable than dailying a Lotus. Imagine driving a Miata on race suspension with no trunk to speak of.
>>
File: stance treequnox wall.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
stance treequnox wall.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>14197148
my miata had "race suspension"
it was meant to be tracked, but i only tracked it once
>>
>>14197130
Yeah I also missed out on the NSX

it really sucks. It was my affordable dream car but now the prices have skyrocketed that I actually have good income.
>>
File: _45481696_pothole_harrison.jpg (43KB, 466x300px) Image search: [Google]
_45481696_pothole_harrison.jpg
43KB, 466x300px
>>14197148
idkfam the elise probably has more supple suspension than most american 'sports cars'
bongistan roads are shit
>>
>>14197130
I'd love to have one. There are some cars that are faster around a race track for the price (C6 vette, C5 Z06 vette, Porsche 996, Porsche Cayman, new Camaro or Mustang, etc.) but if you want the ultimate in streetable "driver feels" car an Elise is hard to beat. The only thing better in the same price range is maybe a Seven clone.

Personally though, I'd buy a cheap craigslist truck, a 90s open wheel racecar, and spend the rest of the money going club racing. After all, why stop halfway?
>>
>>14197148
>>14197130

I dailyed an Elise for 5 years. If you're not a completely out of shape fat fuck it's totally comfortable.

Like any low car, you need to pull yourself out of it a bit-- which any healthy person can do. My 70 year old mom gets in and out of it comfortably. Suspension and handling is stiff but not exhausting. I had a lumbar support pillow I'd use for the few times i took it on long, 6+ hour drives. Totally not necessary, just added comfort.

I have yet to drive another (relatively stock) car with a comparable exhilaration to cost ratio. It's agility is incomparable to pretty much anything in it's class (and quite above), unless you're in a street legal track car like an Atom or a Caterham. It's probably the most fun you'll have under 100mph off the track.
>>
As a skinny ass motherfucker, let me tell you that the Elise/Exige is the single worst car to get into and out of ever.

I dunno if you are gay or straight, but you will never EVER get a chick into one in a skirt.

I was shopping one years ago after a friend bought one. Then he let me drive it. Great car. Not worth it as anything more than a very occasional toy. Find one and get into it and you'll see.
>>
File: Elise and MR-S.jpg (106KB, 1459x579px) Image search: [Google]
Elise and MR-S.jpg
106KB, 1459x579px
The Elise is one of my absolute favorite cars. It looks excellent, and its a bare bones drivers car. The only thing is the price. $30K is alot to spend on a car. I have always thought it would be more fun to mod and MR2 Spyder to try and make it competitive with the Elise, however impossible it may be to do. I'm not one of those BUILT NAUGHT BAWT!!! fags but the car will be more "yours" if you do all the work to make it fast.
>>
>>14197442
>Like any low car, you need to pull yourself out of it a bit

pulling yourself out a bit implies deep bucket seats. thats normal. not only does the elise/exige have the deep buckets but it has an 18inch sidesill you need to lever your ass across.
>>
I've spent 3 days with an Elise. Like people said, it can be a challenge getting out gracefully.

Also, another thing to consider is the kind of attention the car will get. Most people will assume it costs as much as a Ferrari.

I wouldn't buy one if I didn't have a garage to store it in. I also wouldn't recommend it as your only form of transport.

They are amazing cars though, especially at higher RPMs. They are like sports bikes, they beg you to push them to the limit.
>>
>>14197130

DO IT OP

After a miata, this is one of the few logical steps up.

It's also a holy grail for many people, something that we probably won't be able to get ever so if you can get it, GET IT.

For us.
>>
>>14197494
>>14197442
>>14197464

getting out and over the sidesill gracefully takes all of maybe 3 attempts to figure out. seriously i have had children, girls in skirts and old people in mine, and it was always the same:
-first attempt to exit "this is weirder than what im used to" and take a second to figure out best way to step out.
-second attempt: "ok i got this, put my hand here, my other one here, and im out like a pro"
-third attempt: literally not even thinking about it.

that said, the attention thing is true. that is perhaps the only thing i got annoyed by towards the end of owning mine.

no one fucked with me, and i didn't mind leaving it in shitty neighborhoods (never left anything valuable in it, and it was insured + lojack. i always left the top off and doors unlocked so people could see there's nothing worth stealing in it.) What was annoying was coming back to my car and seeing someone taking a picture in front of it, because they think it's a lambo or something. And you dont want to look like some rich asshole who's all get away from my what-you-think-is-a-supercar-but-is-actually-cheaper-than-your-family-car-- so id always end up in some awkward, semi-self conscious/self-validating conversation along the lines of "yeah, it's a super fun car.. they're not expensive." That and assholes in corvettes that want to drag race at the light as if you're in some expensive 150+mph 0-60 in >3sec ferrari or some shit.

Still though-- pretty small downside to an amazing car. Caring too much about how you're perceived in your car is ridiculous (whether it's going out of your way to be flashy, or aggressively trying to be subtle).. I wouldve missed out on my best driving experiences if i hadnt owned this car simply because other people misjudged me in it.
>>
I own a 2002 Lotus Elise S2. Bought it for £8k 2 years ago.
For a Daily driver, it's quite rough, I'd probably consider a base Porsche Cayman/Boxster 987. However, the Elise is extremely low maintenance. For the two years I've owned it, I've paid £220 per service.
>>
>>14197437
tell me about those ultimate streetable "driver feels" anon.
have you actually ever driven one?
>>
>>14198432
Yeah I have, a few times. A guy who goes to my work has one. It's not as good as a Palatov D2, but that's a different price bracket.

Also it's really not that hard to get in and out of, people always exaggerate that.
>>
>>14198432
I guess if I had to describe it I'd say it's like a really fat heavy formula car with really soft springs, a slightly understeery setup, and squealy high-ideal-slip-angle street tires. Which sounds really awful because of what it's being compared to but what I mean is the weight distribution and the way it rotates feels pretty racecary. So I like it a lot and if I wanted to blow all my money on a street car it would be one of the things top of my list. I bet you could probably easily make it more neutral or free handling with some minor alignment adjustments too.
>>
>>14198401
That's impressive. How many miles do you do a year?
>>
File: 1441987545211.gif (2MB, 271x201px) Image search: [Google]
1441987545211.gif
2MB, 271x201px
L O T U S
O F R S E
T O U R
S U A I
B L O
L L U
E Y S
>>
I like them
Poor fag super car
>>
The elise is a tin canits uncomfortable and handles like shit
>>
>>14198457
>Also it's really not that hard to get in and out of, people always exaggerate that.

Its something that needs to be experienced before one agrees to buy said car. I wasn't about to deal with that shit on a daily basis. It's not worth it, there are other cars with similar thrills that don't ask me to pretzel myself to get in and out of.

And I doubt very highly that anyone got a woman in a skirt in one. Nope, no to the hell fucking no. Did not fucking happen, unless she does not care about showing off all her shit during ingress and egress.
>>
>>14197148

I had no clue there were so many crossover enthusiast on this board
>>
>>14200472
>handles like shit
Now everyone on /o/ knows you're an idiot.

OP they're fun little cars. Probably wouldn't DD it even if you've done the miata
>>
I'm thinking about this too. I actually asked /o/ about it a week ago, and after looked up some other places.

you are on 4chan so you don't have a family and that is the majority of why people can't go with a coupe as the only car.

the mass of what I read is you should not get this if your city has too many potholes, or it snows too much, or you need to transport a lot of shit obviously, or you are going to leave it in bad neighborhoods. none of this applies to me which is why I'm still thinking about it.

it is based on the toyota celica and everyone has said as long as you maintain it or bring it to a mechanic every year it will not break down. Outside of that the only breakdowns were non-engine related such as doors and mirrors and that is no different from every other car.

I've seen prices as low as $35k for exige and $30k for elise. I wouldn't have bought a new car ever, but if I had, it would have been that same price range which is what made me interested. I don't see any right now, but I have also heard of non-destroyed elise examples for $25. I would seriously consider it for that but have yet to see any.

I've also read that if you sell it eventually it becomes free versus the buy and sale price. For example I see the mk I's from 2001/2002 go for more than the 2007 ones online. As in, it will depreciate to $30k and no more.

Feel free to rip me apart /o/ as I'm curious myself about this, a lotus would work as a DD for me, the only problem is price. I've also had the S2000 recommended to me instead since it is only $10 - 15k or so.
>>
File: godmachine.jpg (2MB, 2586x1260px) Image search: [Google]
godmachine.jpg
2MB, 2586x1260px
>>14197130
>Better cars for thr price? (around 30k)
>>
>>14205975

kek
>>
File: 3108059porsche-cayman-s-15.jpg (138KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
3108059porsche-cayman-s-15.jpg
138KB, 1600x1067px
>>14205975
>>14206006
/o/ murders me every time I post this picture
>>
>>14206013
[ANGRY CROW NOISES]
>>
>>14205975
funnily enough tsuchiya compares the elise to the ae86
>>
>>14206013
If you're doing ANYTHING but tracking exclusively then the Cayman is the better car.
>>
How to tell someone has never been in an actual race car:
>this car is basically a race car for the street!
>it's too rough to DD!
>it's only for track days!
>>
>>14206280
okay
>>
>>14197130
Buy a Cayman S. It'll be a much better DD.
>>
>>14206280
I drive the shop race car down the street from the shop for tuning. It's fucking horrible. After 20 minutes I just want to go back to the shop. got stuck in a buddies M3 pikes peak car (tube chassis) to do some suspension tuning both on and off the machines. It fucking sucked being in that thing for over an hour.

But the second you get to the track, they are the greatest fucking cars ever lol.
>>
>>14206359
Yeah same with me when the cars need to be realligned. Even a Spec Miata which still has a lot of street parts on it is barbaric to get in and out of and drive on the street. Comparing cars like the Elise or Viper ACR to race cars is ridiculous, so is saying they aren't DDable.
>>
>>14206389
Didn't read the thread but I'd imagine that's more because it's a roadster than the ride quality
>>
>>14206389
Fuck spec miata's. My buddies shop races those things all the time. Im 6ft so climbing in and out of those things is horrible.
>>
What the fuck?

I'm seeing elises go for $15k (not pounds) in britian. what's the import tax and freight like? brb scheduling a trip
>>
>>14206438
probably looking at another 3-5k

people have been draining the uk supply of elises for some time now
>>
>>14206280

I've been on a race car, but I've never been on a race car on the street.

anyway the lotus elise is fucking uncomfortable compared to almost anything else stock.

yeah you can DD with it, but any person that says the car is comfortable is fucking delusional
>>
>>14207669

just to clarify, i find the suspension in the elise really comfy if the roads are in acceptable conditions, but when the road gets bumpy, THE NOISE, THE FUCKING NOISE
>>
>>14197130
Yeah I would leave enough to daily another car for nothing other than the downtime your Elise might have if you daily it...

I do love them though...
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.