[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Maintenance and repair

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

Recently got my fist car and wanted to get into repairing and fixing it myself. It's a 97 Honda accord ex v4 vtech (pic related). Any ideas where I can start learning to increase performance and overall maintenance?
>>
>>14188252
> V4
Nah but bro what are you trying to do? If you don't know much start off just installing new parts that wear (full tune up, brakes, rotors, tires [you'll be surprised what big a difference tires make] than move to performance( headers, fuel delivery, air delivery, clutch, etc.)
>>
>>14188252
First thing you should know is that the "V" in the cylinder specification of a car is referring to a layout where the cylinders are arranged in a V shape. Yours are arranged inline so it's an I4 engine.
Second, you're not going to get much out of it as far as performance. Save up for your next car and get something with a little bit more under the hood. I'd recommend an E46 330i or E39 530i as a next step up or if you really want to mod a car yourself get a Miata, they're easy and cheap to turbocharge.
Register for whatever Honda forum is out there and read the write ups in the section for your given car.
>>
>>14188252
>V4
>>
>>14188280
Well I was hoping to find a way to give it gas and not take a minute to reach 30 mph
>>
>>14188296
Thanks for the info. I just recently started getting into cars and wanted to learn more on maintenance and modifications.
>>
>>14188349
Engine swap. You just picked a bad car, it's hard to make shit not shit. It's going to take a lot of money
>>
>>14188252
>v4 vtech
this is bait
>>
>>14188252
start by learning how to change the oil

after that, rebuild the engine and tranny
>>
These are simply not performance cars. And the vtec in them is for fuel economy, not performance. If you wanted a Honda that's with putting some money into, maybe a prelude.
>>
>>14188252
If it's autotragic don't even bother with performance upgrades just use it for what it is, an econobox
>>
I got my first car about couple years ago and started doing my repairs/maintenance a year or so ago.

>oil change
>brake/wheel systems (changing tire/brakes/shocks)
>radiators
>car stereo
>etc

Work your way from there. There's plenty of youtube guide for whatever things you are interested in.
>>
>>14188252
For basic maintenance learn how to make a brake service, that's the very first thing you can learn, easy to do and extremely useful, then go for changing fluids oil, coolant and brake fluids. Go to eric the car guy youtube channel, he's specialized in honda shitboxes, watch some videos.

That's your first step, second it's to get rid of that thing and get a more suitable car if you are into performance mods. It looks quite nice and clean so probably some mexicans are going to help you to get rid of it sooner or later.
>>
>>14188252
you have an f22b1 engine, most likely. the vtec in your car is an efficiency tune. you're not going to get much of anything in the way out of performance from this vehicle with the current powertrain.

like others have said, brush up on what your car is before you try turning it into something it's not.

once you know what you're doing, i'd recommend an h22 swap. i don't quite remember how well lude powertrains swap into cd5 accords but i'm sure it's just some simple swappy-fabricatey that anyone can figure out from some forum posts and a haynes manual
>>
>>14188296
The e46 responds terribly to mods, and the 540 exists so that's a shit suggestion to. I know OP doesn't know shit, but blind leading the blind isn't necessary here
>>
>>14191440
I suggested the e46 if he wanted a car with acceptable out of the box performance. The miata was the suggestion if he really wanted to mod.
540s have a different engine than the rest of the series. The 530i has the advantage of having the M54, which was used in both the E46 and E39 so there's shit tons of DIY guides for literally everything.
>>
>>14191387

I heard about this swap before. My 01 accord is currently burning oil at a slow rate, common problem with this I4 vtec engine, but obviously it will get worse over time so I was looking into engine swaps that could be done at home instead of sourcing out the same engine with the same issues. The engine will last me another few years easily and by then I'll be working full time at my career and will keep this shit box as a winter beater.

Do you have any experience with these swaps?
>>
I second the basic DIY maintenance route that others have suggested. After the basic fluids/filters/brakes (if needed), you can learn to check for other things the wear: check for loose balljoints and control arm bushings, torn CV boots (common Honda malady), maybe do sparkplugs and wires if it's overdue for that. Definitely make sure the timing belt is not overdue (check records, pull timing belt cover if necessary).

As others have stated, don't bother with mods, particularly if it's an automatic. You have one of the most reliable cars made in recent history, don't mess it up with a bunch of made in China bullshit. Just keep it in good shape and clean inside and out, and enjoy your excellent car. Sorry if that sounds boring, but trust me, save your money up for future fun cars. Or maybe look into getting a motorcycle.
>>
>>14191387
>>14192896
F22b1 is a fantastic engine, and you can get power out of it without having to do a H22 swap. You easily could turbo it for 300 hp and the stock internals could handle it. The transmission probably wouldn't. There actually is a f22b1 that was built up to 600hp. But your pretty limited without force induction
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.