[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How exaggerated is their Reputation for Reliability?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 9

File: Toyota-honda_logo.jpg (29KB, 469x199px) Image search: [Google]
Toyota-honda_logo.jpg
29KB, 469x199px
From the "hurr durr only oil changes!" To the "It'll last another 300,000 miles"... Are Hondas and Toyotas the best made cars for durability? Are they still as good as the late 90s? Are they being made even better?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rblnepoQULE
>>
, the old 90s camrys are pretty indestructible, friend hit a wall at 30 in his and its still working, drove mine to 250k (50k of which it had a broken piston that never shot out)
>>
>>14182386
Are they durable/reliable cars? Yes, absolutely

Do they have a higher than average level of build quality? Yes

Are the 'Best' made cars for durability? Not really, but that depends on how you define best

Are they still as good as the late 90's? Mostly.

The biggest reason these cars get the reputation they do is because they can be abused/neglected/beat on and suffer far less than a lot of other cars. The flip side of that being that they only implement very tried and true technology on most of their cars, hence they are technologically very low risk.
>>
>>14182413
I have a GMC 2500 work truck that's pulled quite a few trailers in its days, at 327,000 miles.
>>
I'm only around 90k miles on my '92, it'll last another eternity since it's still serviced regularly at the dealer's. Based 5SFE is pretty much unkillable.

>>14182422
olawd
>>
Honda is overrated after the 80s/90s they barely meet average now

Toyota is still undisputed reliability king because they've mastered the art of boring chassis and detuned engines that have been slowly revised for over 20 years
>>
>>14182466
>Honda is overrated after the 80s/90s they barely meet average now

Not really. 2000's CR-V's, Pilots, Civic's, and Accords all regularly go to 250-300K with minimal issues.
>>
Honda went to the shitter as far as reliability after the turn of the century.
Toyota is still doing okay, by nature of having literally nothing interesting in any of their cars.
Note: these are generalizations and reliability will still always vary model to model
What's really overstated is the unreliability of any brand that's not Honda or Toyota. Try being a BMW owner around people with no actual experience aside from /o/ memes and their dad's car advice, it's annoying as shit.
>>
>>14182481
I recall the Honda Odysseys having some pretty major transmission issues.
>>
Honda's 90s automatic trannies are complete trash
>>
>>14182496
Yup, the van's did because the auto tranny's were really to weak to be hauling around a van, but the 2000 era cars and SUV's are still near god-tier reliable
>>
>>14182466
I agree with this anon.

Boring cars are easy to make reliable.
>>
>>14182430
>The biggest reason these cars get the reputation they do is because they can be abused/neglected/beat on and suffer far less than a lot of other cars.
If "abused/neglected/beat on" means I do my maintenance on schedule and not any more, then I'm fine with that. Otherwise, I don't see how running your car to 5001 miles or going 1000 miles past spark plug change interval is "beating on your car".

To me, beating on your car means redlining it when oil temperature hasn't stabilized, racing it during the break-in period, driving over deep potholes, etc.
>>
>>14182430
90% of old hondas are beat to shit
>>
>>14182742
>If "abused/neglected/beat on" means I do my maintenance on schedule and not any more, then I'm fine with that. Otherwise, I don't see how running your car to 5001 miles or going 1000 miles past spark plug change interval is "beating on your car".

No, I am talking about running 20K+ miles between oil changes, if the car gets an oil change at all. complete and utter lack of any maintenance, and being driven by a teenage girl or worse on a daily basis

>>14182749
true, but they still run, other cars subjected to the same level of beating would have long since died and been hauled off to the junk yard
>>
>dad buys sienna in 1998 because niggers steal his old 1992 corolla
>develops wheel bearing issue in '03
>driver's side window jumps track and refuses to ever be set back in '05
>radiator goes in '07 after 135,000 miles
>blows two shocks and then passenger side rear shock assembly almost shears
>A/C stops blowing cold after summer of '09

but the transmission and engine themselves ran like champs to the day he said "fuck this" and bought a highlander

I want to fucking fix it but I have no money or wrenching ability

ON-TOPIC: They do run forever but for God's sake, actually fix shit like belts and pulleys. It pains me to see 15 year old Camrys running around with blown shocks and screeching belts. Avoid any automatic Honda from the late 1990s to the release of Tokyo Drift
>>
File: tokyo.png (119KB, 883x356px) Image search: [Google]
tokyo.png
119KB, 883x356px
>>14182775
>Avoid any automatic Honda from the late 1990s to the release of Tokyo Drift
Had to look it up.
>>
File: honda stronk.jpg (32KB, 600x288px) Image search: [Google]
honda stronk.jpg
32KB, 600x288px
>>14182386
>>
Modern Hondas and Toyotas are shit and are fucking unreliable and cheap built.

Their 80s/90s shit, including Nissan, was indestructible.
>>
>>14183068
which is totally why they're frequently in the top 5 for reliability ratings year after year

>>14182386
They're not less reliable, it's just that everyone is better.

Though there were a few problems with certain models, such as automatic trannies paired to V6 Hondas in the early 2000s and Camrys burning oil like rotaries once they hit the 70k mile mark in the mid to late 2000s
>>
Drove an '89 Camry to 350,000km and it was still well and truly kicking. Hell, I drove the damn thing to the wreckers myself, and that was only because it was costing me over $1000 a year on registration and insurance for a car worth maybe $500. Damn thing was indestructible.
>>
>>14182505
Don't forget about the oil consumption and plug fouling issues on the v6s.

Honda installed piston rings upside down on half their fleet.
>>
I don't think you can limit it to just the 90s, because early 2000s cars are also pretty bulletproof. I mean, many corrolas and camrys and civics and accords from that era make it past 200k-300k miles regularly. I have a 2005 Celica gt and it has 173,000, and it probably is going to reach 200,000 without incident, and I think it would be safe to say that the car will make it to 250,000 with a little regular maintenance, and nothing more.
>>
>>14182422
In my 94, I had to replace parts about every other week, and the parts are ridiculously priced, sometimes higher than Cadillac parts. Toyota: never again.
>>
>>14182422
I have a 95 Camry. Done 360,000kms on it.
>>
/o/ says that CVTs are unreliable, and cost tons of money to replace.
Everyone else says the little jap econoboxes are super reliable and the best value around. I somehow doubt they were talking about only the manual trans models.
>>
>>14183684
actually, very few japanese "econoboxes" use cvt's. O know that cars that toyota makes rarely have them at all, the only one that comes to mind is the scion iQ.
>>
as someone who drives a volkswagen. it sucks, it has been really reliable so far but i just dont like it. i really wish for a starlet or something small but not NEW.
>>
>>14183736
Actually, the later "7 speed automatic" transmissions in the last, and current model Corolla are just that. CVTs with 7 preselected ratios.
>>
>>14183752
ah my mistake, I am not well versed on the most current models. I am still stuck in 2000-2010 model years :D
>>
>>14183749
how "not NEW" are you looking for? early 2000? 90s? 80s?
>>
>>14182430
Mostly this.
My old 94 Tercel had 258k miles before i got rid of it, trans was going out and i couldnt afford to have it repaired AND keep up with the insurance on 2 cars and bills.
My 03 Tacoma is sitting at 200k miles and my 82 Corolla is sitting at 225k miles.
Nothing major done to any of them besides the Tacoma needing a new timing belt and water pump at 130k.
>>
>>14183776
anything before late 90's, but not older than late 70's

also my car is from 2000
>>
File: starlet.jpg (109KB, 1023x682px) Image search: [Google]
starlet.jpg
109KB, 1023x682px
>>14184395
A friend of mine had a Starlet like pic related for a while, except it was a total shitter. Rust everywhere, interior was beat to hell, the works.
He bought it for €500 or something, so they're stupid cheap.
Also maybe look at Swifts/106s/Saxos? Those are pretty fun in their slightly sportier trims, reliable and easy to work on.
>>
I got a 1997 Plymouth voyager with 200k on the odometer. There are allot of vehicles out there that will last a long time. You just need to take care of them
>>
>>14184423
nah i want something different. i still cant decide between mpgs or getting a large camry with underinflated tires
>>
>>14184479
Then, Lexus maybe, if you're going for a barge?
>>
>>14184487
lexus is quite expensive.

im currently having my tires like 30% below what they should have and its quite nice
>>
>>14184487
i might get my dads 2008 corolla SEDAN in the future and i could then add lighter suspension and stuff to it.
>>
Toyota is the only competent auto maker in the world. Their only mistake is the C chassis rails on the NAmerican Tacoma. Instead of the full box rails like the Hilux.
>>
90's and early 00's yotas, hondas, and to a lesser extent nissans were basically bomb-proof. Extremely reliable, simple to work on (provided you don't have fat sausage hands), and readily available cheap aftermarket parts.

If it's made after 2008, odds are it's a shit heap that's fallen prey to global economic crunching.
>>
File: 2002_Hyundai_Accent_4955[1].jpg (563KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2002_Hyundai_Accent_4955[1].jpg
563KB, 1600x1200px
These little shitters can take way more abuse than you'd expect.
>>
>>14183068
>including Nissan
Hahahahah
Nope
>>
While we're on the subject, does the Toyota meme truly extend to Lexus aa much as it does? Why does Lexus rank much higher than Toyota in most reliability metrics?
>>
File: 47471145_p1.jpg (148KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
47471145_p1.jpg
148KB, 600x800px
Getting a 2015 Fit as a first car, don't expect much but I hope /o/ was wrong and the CVT doesn't fuck me in the ass.
>>
>>14184659
>Hoping the cvt doesn't take a shit
Nigga thats the only thing /o/ is right about.
>>
>>14184549
>have 2015 Accent
>love it
>drive it for a year no problems
>yesterday someone in a large truck driving on the wrong side of the road smashes into it and takes off

it doesn't look totalled so I hope insurance doesn't total it.
>>
>>14184659
Get it in fookin manual then m80
>>
>>14184395
Well if you want AWD, you can go for a Celica alltrac/gt4, mitsubishi evu, gallant vr4, eclipes/talon vr4, 3000gt vr4 or vr6, any subaru. If you want FR layout, you can get a mk3 supra(since they are easy to get compared to the mk4 and are way better than the mk2) You really need to lookout for blown head gaskets on those though, because the heads weren't torqued down that hard from the factory, and it is super easy to fix by just torquing it down more. Most people that torque down the head more generally never blow head gaskets after that. There are just so many good options I can't even list them all...
>>
>>14187108
>>14184395
Also totally forgot to mention the Toyota MR2, probably the most fun FR car you can get for less than $5k now. They are really reliable, AND THEY HAVE POP UP HEADLIGHTS. Also they aren't a miata so they don't just come in convertible, which is a large downside to the miata. If it came with a normal roof as well, I would buy one, because since it doesn't you can't use it for things like rally or cold weather. :D
they aren't that bad otherwise
>>
>>14182466
This is such bullshit. Toyota has more recalls and defects to this day than Honda. Toyota is not only old tech but below average quality. Toyota is literally riding on pure profits from selling cheapo shit for lots of money.
>>
>>14187128
>MR2
>FR
Other than that though, I agree.
>>
File: VENI.jpg (40KB, 441x604px) Image search: [Google]
VENI.jpg
40KB, 441x604px
>>14182413
>>
>>14187128

MR2 isnt FR brah. It's mid engine, rear wheel drive...hence the MR in its name
>>
>>14187167
>duh FR
>snap oversteers into tree
opinion discarded
>>
Reliability has averaged out over the last decade among the major auto builders, or at least it's not as bad as it was in the 80s/90s. With that, if you're buying a new Toyota or Honda based solely on your impression of them 20 years ago, well, do I really need to explain that?

I'd say Toyota stagnated and Honda has been sticking to formula.
>>
>>14187191
Wasn't my point.
>>14187180 was my point, though not my post.
>>
File: but why.gif (4MB, 581x327px) Image search: [Google]
but why.gif
4MB, 581x327px
>>14183752
>"7 speed automatic" transmissions in the last, and current model Corolla are just that. CVTs with 7 preselected ratios.

For what purpose? And to what ends?
>>
>>14187201
I'd say Honda's been stagnating and Toyota sticking to formula
>>
>>14187226
I'd say Toyota has been sticking to Honda, and stagnating is the formula.
>>
>>14184560
do you have any glaring examples of 90s nissan being unreliable?
>>
>>14184616
ofc it does theyre rebadged toyotas after all.
>>
>>14187167
woops my mistake, I totally was just talking about just rear drive at that point but forgot to mention it, lol. I really want a 1st gen MR2, and do an engine swap to like a 2zz or something, that would make it so fun, also add power steering...
>>
>>14187191
you realize that snap oversteer is super exaggerated? It is possible, and it is dangerous, but it isn't as hard to deal with, or happen as frequently as people say. If you are a remotely competent driver, you will know how to not make it happen, and deal with it if it does.
>>
>>14187522
>damage control
It burns you inside, doesnt it toyotaman, to know that the truth is out.
>>
>>14187540
There is no damage to control. You can crash MR2's like any other car if you are an idiot, it is just that people have found a very specific way of crashing them to complain about. It doesn't make the car any less fun to drive.
>>
>>14187220
better fuel economy and cheaper to produce than a standard automatic transmission
>>
File: 20151229_130145.webm (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20151229_130145.webm
2MB, 1920x1080px
>people are scared to rev their 184K shitbox passed 9k
>>
>>14188811
because most stock engines destroy themselves past 9k. there are a few cars designed to do that from stock, but most cars don't have stiff enough valve springs, which causes valve float, or they don't have enough balance in the rotating assembly to do so.
>>
>>14183736
Prius uses a CVT.

My 2001 still runs well after 230k miles
>>
>>14183752
no, they're CVT, sport mode just makes them sound like regular engines so it's not alien to the driver.
And paddle shifters is amazingly fast for CVTs, I have a new corolla, and the "shift" is nearly instantaneous.
>>
>Father's 03 Accord is at 300K, only non standard maintenance has been a new catalytic converter
>My 05 Accord is at 150K, need to replace the motor for the lock in the rear passenger door.
>No other issues what so ever.
>>
>>14182413
damn he mustve spent like $100k on gas
>>
>>14188811
S2000?
>>
>>14188861
totally forgot about those, but it isn't a normal cvt with a belt or chain, it is done using the speed difference on the planets and ring gear of a planetary gear set. That is why the prius ones last so long, they aren't the belt style design that we are starting to see in non hybrid systems, which have a power limit before the belts start slipping, and are relatively new and "untested" in the sense that they haven't been around to see many road miles just yet.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.