[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, I could use some opinions. I have a 96 jeep cherokee

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1996jeepcherokee4x4small.jpg (13KB, 350x186px) Image search: [Google]
1996jeepcherokee4x4small.jpg
13KB, 350x186px
Hey guys, I could use some opinions. I have a 96 jeep cherokee xj I'm fixing up for winter. For some reason whenever I accelerate rather hard there is a heavy repetitive metal to metal banging noise underneath it. I don't think it's the motor mounts because they look in semi decent shape. Also there is no play in the drive shafts so I'm not sure it's that either. Any ideas?
>>
>>14158109
Exhaust possibly came loose and is dangling/banging around only when ya gas it maybe?
>>
>>14158128
Although the exhaust is rattling. That's not it. This is a really heavy banging noise.

Thanks for the quick reply.
>>
>>14158147

I should also say that it does it when I'm in drive and standing on the brake while giving it gas.

But not while in neutral and giving it gas
>>
>>14158176
Check your tranny mounts. If the engine mounts are fine that's the only other thing I could think of
>>
>>14158245

I'll check. But I may have found the problem. I jacked the front up and tried spinning the wheel. And the drive shaft makes a continuous clicking noise as long as I'm spinning the wheel indicating slipping? Maybe the yoke splines on the shaft are ground off? I'm thinking maybe when I'm driving and it has a load on it it's producing a much harder banging noise.
>>
>>14158360
Where is the sound coming from?
>>
>>14158373

It's either right under the drivers seat or under the fire wall. Hard to tell.
>>
>>14158398
OP, you might check your TC output bearings. If one has a slight wobble, it will make some noise (can also make it feel like you have a flat tire).
>>
>>14158109
What do you guys think of the jeep cherokee? Planning on getting one in the future and I'd like to know if there are any problems I should be looking out for.
>>
>>14161465
Avoid 2000 and 2001 as they have cracking blocks.
>>
>>14161465
It's definatley the transfer case. I've come to the conclusion that some dumb ass probably forgot to disengage 4x4 when he towed it. So now it's not fully engaging it regular 2 wheel drive and its griding.
>>
>>14161465
If you do get one. Make sure it hasn't been setting for more than a year. The parts corrode rather fast.
>>
>>14161509
Cracking heads actually
>>
Did you check you U-joints on the drive shafts?
>>
>>14161465
probably the last truck you'll ever get. On my second one now. The first still ran at 237k miles when I sold it. I've taken stock cherokees on trails in the Colorado Rockies that would make other, newer trucks shit their transmission out in fear.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.