[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is it possible to 3D print a usable formula 1 engine?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

File: 1445819285801.jpg (340KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1445819285801.jpg
340KB, 1500x1000px
is it possible to 3D print a usable formula 1 engine?
>>
>>14152539
I mean the 3D printed guns don't last but for a few shots last time I checked. I doubt an engine could survive sustained use.
>>
>not casting your own carbon block
>>
>>14152539
No.
I doubt you could get the right properties of stuff like valves, piston rings, cylinder liners etc.
Shit like the block and heads you could probably print.
>>
We a 3D printer and CNC routers and mills where I work. Ours can do working parts right out of the printer, but they are made of a type of plastic that is good for rapid prototypes but certainly couldn't withstand any sort of heavy duty. But you could make a cylinder head to do flow studies on and so forth.
>>
PRINT IT AGAIN TONY!
>>
>>14152562
A whole 3D printer?
>>
>>14152562
U no they got metal sintering printers famboi
>>
File: Capture-1.jpg (53KB, 600x506px) Image search: [Google]
Capture-1.jpg
53KB, 600x506px
>>14152571
print in wax and cast it aluminum
>>
>>14152594
Not printed then is it numb nuts
>>
>>14152594
that looks like zinc
are you sure?
>>
Using CNC machines and 3d printer to make key molds is the shit because you can calculate heat shrinkage and all that ahead of time and build that into your mold.

but regardless if you made a mold to sandcast or if you just had a bare block milled, you're going to need a lot of machining work before its ready.
>>
File: 1302447744[1].jpg (79KB, 500x475px) Image search: [Google]
1302447744[1].jpg
79KB, 500x475px
>>14152563
>>
>>14152626

There will be like 3 people on this board who get this joke.
>>
>>14152594
That doesn't look like a cast.
>>
Anyone who actually is involved in manufacturing or building anything must be sick of these "dude 3d printing dude" people

>man you're going to like be able to 3d print GUNS man what about criminals
But you can already make a gun with nothing but a drill press, same with AR15 lowers, and it's perfectly legal
>no dude you don't get it 3D PRINTED GUNS man, think about it

>whoa what if you could like make YOUR OWN car at home with a 3D printer
Drunk rednecks already make insane tube frame buggies with nothing but a welder and a tube bender, and people have been handmaking cars at home as long as cars have existed
>yeah but what if 3D PRINTING?

I guess to people who have never used their hands in their life the concept of making something with basic tools is incomprehensible but if you could click a button on a computer it makes sense
>>
>>14152690
>printed guns
or you could just fit a shotgun shell into a steel pipe and hit the back with a hammer.
>>
>>14152626

Thas a cool piat there.
>>
>>14152651
I bet more than 3 of us played Breakthrough and had our moms buy us weapons books at Barnes & Noble
>>
SpaceX already prints rocket engines from Inconel Steel.
>>
>>14152690
>Anyone who actually is involved in manufacturing or building anything must be sick of these "dude 3d printing dude" people
I work for a boat manufacturer and just had some guy in last week with "dude 3D printing." It's got its applications but yeah I have a headache anytime it gets mentioned now.

>"dude we could 3d print a seat frame"
>>
>>14152726

>denizens of /o/
>reading an actual book

Hahahahahahaha no really though, you, me, and OP. That's it.
>>
>>14152690
I don't always agree with what you say, but you fucking nailed it this time.
>>
>>14152750

Dude it would only take like 5 minutes seriously dude just print it and slap it together take like 10 minutes tops seriously dude. Just print me a car when you're done, too, dude.
>>
>>14152742
>jet fuel can't melt rocket beams
>>
>>14152539
Yes, not using anything like home machines but SLS titanium has been usded in powerboat engines for a good few years now.
>>
>>14152539
honda have tried it, and we all know how it worked out
>>
>>14153161
which engines?
>>
>>14153183
EMIC, only a handfull of parts because it's just not cost effective to print an entire engine as in conventional manufacture cost xcales with complexity, in 3d printing complexity is free and cost scales with volume of print.
>>
>>14152539
you would still need to machine the parts.

Also it would raise the question of 3d printing vs casting what provides the strongest alloys.
>>
>>14153215
>EMIC
I can't seem to find a website for them.
>>
>>14153256
>Also it would raise the question of 3d printing vs casting what provides the strongest alloys.

wouldn't casting be way more brittle due to cooldown rates?
>>
>>14152626
>Guise, lets make a bazooka but instead of using a chemical propellant, lets use a 100 pound spring.
UK engineering, not even once.
>>
>>14152594
you print in plastic then cast in sand negative dumbass
>>
>>14152690
Have you ever used a 3D printer? They're phenomenal.

I've never used any of the ones capable of "printing" metal, but for rapid prototyping they cut the cost by 5-10x and the time by at least that. The ability to test to your hearts content before ever wasting money on tooling is invaluable. Want to try a new carb design? Sure, it'll be ready in 3 hours, go have a coffee or work on other models. Air filter box? 2 hours. Etc etc. It's a huge step forward.

I think who you're referring to are people who don't understand that 3D printed materials are inherently more fragile than their normally manufactured counterparts, not to mention much more expensive to mass produce. Also that large 3D printers are hugely expensive, half a million and up. Anything capable of printing even a one-piece plastic panel for the inside of a door would be upwards of 750 grand.

But we've went from 3D printing being a pipe dream to being able to buy a device the size of a laser printer for 200 bucks that will create just about anything small out of plastic within a day from only a computer model. And modern industrial printers are much more impressive than that. So soon those idiots thinking they can print a whole car might be right.
>>
>>14154477
You can already print a whole car with a computer it's called CNC.

3D printing is probably good for intricate lost wax casting or cheaply and quickly produced sand casting molds, and obviously for prototyping. But traditional casting, milling, and lathing covers the rest already.
>>
kill yourself OP, you are the type of trash the world would do better without
>>
>>14152626
PIAT BRAND PIAT
>>
Maybe not yet but it's getting there. Koenigsegg is bragging about 3D printing their turbos.
>>
>>14152563
>>14152626
Top Kek/10
>>
>>14152539
no.
have seen the current printed stuff?
they're all gritty and uneven surface.
>>
>>14152742
>Inconel Steel

Is it actually an alloy with steel or are you a retard who can't into inconel?
I thought inconel was used over steel in high heat high pressure roles because of its metallurgical properties.

I wish I was Elon Musk. Super smart, rich af and a trend setter. Plus he could easily be a super villain with a secret base in an old volcano.
>>
>>14154612
Right.. But CNC is just automated machining, can't really be called printing. Also CNC can't do certain geometries, such as partially enclosed cavities (like a cup with an lid built onto it), which 3D printers can do via removable fill material. They can make much more complex geometries than even the multi-axis EDM wire machines.
>>
>>14152651
I got that joke from playing close combat 2 lel
>>
>>14154462
Google lost wax retard.
>>
>>14154382
I'm sure if they had the development time, money and resources they would have made a rocket.
>>
>>14152712
it's a bit more complicated than that but yes, you've got the general idea

lurk /k/ a little more
>>
>>14152566
Yes, but only accidentally. Is this bad?
>>
>>14152651

Arma 2 I44
>>
>>14152626
SPROING!
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.