[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

OK gents, what truck would you choose if you have 3 kids and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 13

OK gents, what truck would you choose if you have 3 kids and a girlfriend, and are towing 4 go-karts long distance? Fuel economy > excessive towing capacity. Nothing heavier than the tools/tires/karts will be on the trailer.

>pic semi-related since that is what I'm leaning towards.

Suggestions? What do you drive to haul vehicles with cost in mind?
>>
Tacoma crew or tundra is your best bet
>>
That's a tough one, I have a extended cab Taco (2004, last year for the early body style), I want a quad cab 72" bed truck, but there's something I don't like about most of the options, the new Taco is too big for what it is especially in the front, the Raptor doesn't come with a 72" bed, the Colorado is hideous, nothing really appeals to me enough to move away from what I have now. Your main consideration if you don't want a fullsize is finding a quad cab midsize with a real bed, there aren't a ton of them.
>>
>>14142824
Is that stage 4 cancer on the front?
>>
>>14142824
Buy a Tahoe and shut the fuck up.

You're eventually going to buy a cover for the bed and use the truck like an SUV anyway.
>>
nissan frontier is nice. New model coming in 2016.
>>
cummins or fuck off. seriously tho the newer Rams are comfy as fuck and have the best interior
>>
Subaru Outback H6
>>
File: qdteuppvghymqqaje7ek.jpg (325KB, 720x412px) Image search: [Google]
qdteuppvghymqqaje7ek.jpg
325KB, 720x412px
One of the twins with the mini-duramx.
>>
File: mfw your stupidity.gif (954KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
mfw your stupidity.gif
954KB, 400x225px
>>14143442
>wouldn't be /o/ without a couple tr/o/lls
>>
>>14143557
Ram's are ridiculously over priced. You can get any other truck plus horsepower mods for the same exact price. Not really sure why they cost as much as they do and I'm kind of bummed about it since I like the look of them a bit more then others.
>>
>>14143657
I'm well aware. The trolls have been shilling Toyota "trucks" for years.
>>
>>14142824
I would get a Tahoe or Expedition and have more room for the kids so I didn't want to kill myself by the time I got there.
>>
>>14142824
poor fag
2004 Nissan xterra/titan/frontier best look luxury reliability at under 7k
or 2015 xterra/titan frontier
>inb4shill
I have 2 04 xterras the 2wd rwd one is my dd and has 300k miles and runs strong the 4wd rwd has 85 k and still feels brand new
>butt why have 2 pig fat suvsss anon
I bought mine first in yellow and my wife fell in love with it so we sold her focous and got her a 2wd in canteen matalic
>>
>>14143687
Because rams appeal to woman teens and people who want to look bad ass look at any GMC Ford or Chevy truck there copy and paste soap bars dodge Nissan and Toyota all have there own styling and Luxury's dodge just has the unique amerifat tax
>>
>>14143771
>xterra/titan/frontier
>luxury reliability

You poor, poor thing. You probably think a 90 Accord is mid range.
>>
>>14143829
>for a truck or SUV under 7k
>owns 2 suvs bought brand new
I have a wife a kid money to gas up 2 SUVs and a 2012 maxima I think I know a little about luxurys
>jnb4 Nissan shill
so what go fuck a twingo
>>
>>14143828
>have there own styling
Nissan openly admitted to ripping off as much of the F150 as they could legally get away with, didn't they? GMC and Chevy look similar because they're the same truck. That's not a con. Ford of course looks like Nissan because Nissan ripped them off, Toyota essentially just slapped GMC wheel arches and Ford's Aston grill on the existing Tacoma and called it a redesign, and Dodge just has terrible build quality so it really doesn't matter how "unique" they look. But that doesn't even matter to start with. Buy a truck based on what it's capable of, not on how much it contributes to you feeling like a special snowflake in a world of 7 billion people by buying a vehicle that looks exactly like 500,000 other vehicles. Stop using vehicles to define yourself just because you lack personality.
>>
>>14143838
>Maxima
Oh lord it's worse than I thought.
>>
File: _20151230_211247.jpg (193KB, 1440x1053px) Image search: [Google]
_20151230_211247.jpg
193KB, 1440x1053px
>6.9 idi diesel gets good milage
>trailer that light won't even faze it
>2 big cushy bench seats
What's not to love?
>>
>>14142824
A Tacoma if you can find one with a 6' bed. The shorter one is useless.

Otherwise, get a Tundra.
>>
>>14142824
unless those are your kids you are a massive cückold
>>
>>14142824
Manual trans 1993-2000 Ford Ranger XLT variant or otherwise with the king cab. Get a southern one with a good frame.
Anyone who thinks you need 10,000 lbs to tow 5,000 lbs doesn't know how the fuck to truck.
>>
>>14143882
I drive a yellow 04 xterra I don't try to be different I just like tearing up some mud
>>
>>14143938
>Ford
>Ranger

Only if the kids and girlfriend are all small and anorexic
>>
>>14143895
what's wrong with xterras and maximas? I'm not some rich signal dude I have a wife and a kid and I make a good enough income to own 3 nice cars and a house my car before the x was a c6 vet but booster seats can't be strapped to the roof amirite
>>
>>14142824
If you can get all 4 gokarts on a single axle trailer with total weight under 3500 lbs, and are hauling 3 kids and a spouse, I'd honestly just buy a minivan.

Gm, Honda, Toyota, Dodge, and Kia vans all have 3500 lb tow ratings, and are far comfier and fuel efficient than any crew-cab pickup or 3-row SUV.

I'd highly recommend adding an auxiliary transmission cooler, though. Even if you weren't towing. Overheated fluid is what kills minivan transmissions.
>>
File: 007.jpg (869KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
007.jpg
869KB, 1920x1080px
>>14142824
>>14143753
>three kids

Get a three row SUV or bring two trucks.
>>
>>14143953
>Not Knowing how the fuck to truck
>>
File: image.jpg (66KB, 445x346px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66KB, 445x346px
>3 kids

Like hell im having 3 kids, better be triplets then

If any truck im getting a ford ranger
>>
>>14144025
This man gets it.
I bought a F-150 thinking it would be a better choice for things I've been up to lately, but for every convenience the 8 foot x 6 foot bed has given me, I've missed having something you know... a bit smaller. Mostly because I live in an area where you have to parallel park every day and it gets PAINFUL when all the people are out and about doing dinner at the restaurants and shit nearby.
Don't get me wrong though, my 01 f150 has been a solid machine.
>>
I am about to order a 2016 Supercab 8ft bed F150 for this reason, gonna get the 2.7 in gem green.

Was actually hoping someone around here might know the best month for incentives on ordering F150s.
>>
>>14144132

As a follow-up, people in the F150 forums have been reporting 25 highway with the 2.7 and regularly getting 19 combined. I can't imagine a light load like that would lose you more than 4mpg highway, probably less.
>>
>>14143637

You can get a mini duramax in those? Too bad theyre huge.

And no single cab option wtf.

To answer OP with 3 kids I would get a tahoe.
>>
>>14144180

At what speeds? I can get 27 with my 3.7L but at 55.

80 drops it down to 20.
>>
>>14145523

I think the speeds were at 65-75. Thats pretty good. I haven't seen that good on many of the 3.5s though. My 13 5.0 got me 23 highway at 65 until i hit 15k now i only get 16
>>
>>14143687
depends on the area. here they are the cheapest while Ford and GM are about the same. i won't look at garbage jap shit so don't know anything about their pricing but i do know the Tundra has the worst mpg of the lot
>>
>>14142824

Maybe I'm the crazy one, but what about some saloon or wagon and a trailer to tow the karts and shit when you need it? You already have space for storing the kart so you can store the trailer too.

Mpg will be MUCH better I assume, also driving dynamics and everything.

Pic related: what I would use.
>>
File: 1.jpg (764KB, 3072x1728px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
764KB, 3072x1728px
>>14143882
But the build quality on the Ram has went up exponentially since 09. It also is the cheapest truck same equipment to same equipment dependent on bed length (max difference is 3-400 dollars max). The Ram has the best gas fuel economy of a full size and best fuel economy bar none with the Ecodiesel. There are people getting 30+ mpgs from the 4x4 Crew cabs trucks while unloaded and low to mid 20s while towing. Having driven all three, I went with a Ram, but ended up with a 2500 longbes as I needed the bedspace for a 4wheeler and the extra towing capacity.
>>
>>14145840
Non-trucks are rated for absolute horse shit towing capacity in the US because Americans are too dumb to tow responsibly (no training or education besides a vending machine drivers license, trailer center of weight far in front of the trailer axle(s) to make towing idiot proof by making jack knifing harder) and possibly also to protect the domestic truck market. I'm not sure the E-Class is even allowed to tow in the US, meanhile at home in Germany it's rated at 2100 kg or 4630 lbs.
>>
File: 1447100417209.jpg (35KB, 498x500px) Image search: [Google]
1447100417209.jpg
35KB, 498x500px
>>14143557
>mopar
>>
>>14143838
>maxima
>xterra
>luxury

I honestly can't tell if you're joking or not.
>>
>>14143938
This is my recommendation. As long as you can find one with the 4.0, preferably a manual, they're bulletproof. Mine has the autotragic, and that's the only weak point, I've rebuilt the tranny at 190k once so far but 30k miles later it's shifting really roughly. I think it might be on it's way out. The engine, however, is still going strong as fuck. I've replaced the water pump, thermostat housing, and brake booster, and aside from that everything has just been standard maintenance.
>>
buy a suburban yukon XL or excursion you idiot
>>
>>14143975
>Poor man's 4runner and a female nigresses sedan
>>
>>14142824
The answer as always...
Is land cruiser

Not even trolling

Get a 2004 or newer for brewtoof and all the goodies
>>
>>14146116
Oh shit u said fuel efficient...
Hmm is 16 on the highway efficient?
>>
>>14142824
That stuff is light, you can definitely tow it with a Miata, and it'll handle much better than any pigfat truck, plus get way better fuel economy.
>>
>>14142824
a mercedes sprinter and a sedan/wagon
>>
>>14143637
These are really great vehicles. Can't go wrong with one of these or the new Tacoma.
>>
>>14143909
How is OP suppose to look like a big guy baller in that piece of shit? He wants people to think "big guy daddy coming through" when he gets out of his massive vehicle.
>>
>>14142824
commodore
>>
Either a Tacoma or a 2008-2015 Tundra, they are some of the best for towing.
>>
>>14142824
I'd go with an SUV. Will be comfortable for the family
>>
>>14143938
>>14146012
>five people
>recommends a vehicle that seats four

>>14143975
>what's wrong with xterras and maximas?
Nothing. But they're far from "luxury."

>>14143993
>and are far comfier and fuel efficient than any crew-cab pickup or 3-row SUV.
Absolutely false about the comfort.

>>14143442
>>14143999
>>14146017
>>14147317
>Tahoe, Yukon Suburban, Excursion
Well at least there's a few people here with common sense. Just avoid the Expedition.
>>
>>14145840
The closer the vehicle weight is to the trailer weight, the more finicky the handling is going to be.

Empty MPG difference isn't as much as you'd think, and towing MPG difference might not even be enough to matter.

The only time driving dynamics matter to normies is when trailering, and the light wagon is going to have shit driving dynamics when trailering.

>>14145877
I've seen a lot more videos involving trailering accidents in Europe. Lower tongue weight isn't going to improve handling or your vehicle's ability to pull the trailer up a hill.
>>
Chevy Colorado Diesel. They're actually pretty small in real life, definitely way smaller than a Silverado. Somehow pictures online make the Colorado's look huge. Apparently they get good empeegees too.

Or wait for the other small baby diesel trucks coming out soon.
>>
>>14142824
Get a dodge ram. It's big enough for your gf's 3 kids and room for mountain bikes as well
>>
File: F150+Green.jpg (670KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
F150+Green.jpg
670KB, 2000x1000px
>>14142824
They're uncomfortable as hell if you're taller than 5'9". I'd strongly suggest the new F150 with the 2.7 V6 it pulls far better than it's economy would suggest. Very good mixture of comfort, capability and economy. The new Chevrolet Colorado or GMC Canyon with the I4 diesels are pretty excellent too. I would suggest the Ram 1500 with the Ecodiesel, but the VM Motori diesel V6 seems to have a lot of problems.
>>
>>14143637
man, why do those suckers cost the same as full-size pickups? not like the fuel economy from the 2.8 diesel is that much better
>>
>>14143771
>xterra/titan/frontier best look luxury reliability

In which third world country did you learn to English in?
>>
>>14142824

I have a quad cab Tacoma and love it. That being said, if you're towing 4 karts and have 4 passengers with you get a full size truck or SUV. there is no way a Tacoma has enough space for you inside.
>>
>>14145840
The only 3 row wagon still sold in the US is the Benz E-series, it STARTS at 60-fucking-grand (roughly enough to buy three Grand Caravans), and the offical Mercedes towing capacity for that wagon is "Don't tow with our cars."
>>
I'll throw another vote in for an SUV. I bought a Yukon XL for the purpose of hauling an 8,000lb 45' trailer, and it does it without a complaint in most vertical climbs. Third row seating that's removable and second row lays down if you want truck-like utility in the rear when not towing/hauling kids. You can put 4x8' panels flat in the back, which is more than you can say about most modern trucks. I get about 17 mpg, but I would recommend going for a smaller engine/smaller size SUV if you're worried about economy. You certainly don't need much to haul a couple go karts...you could technically get away with something like a jeep cherokee/grand cherokee, but you're gonna want another row of seating, seeing how kids are horrible people and can't get along.
>>
>>14147482
>Absolutely false about the comfort.
I might have exaggerated a bit when I said "ANY" 3-row SUV. A fully-optioned Tahoe or 'Burban is comfy as hell.

But you get a fully loaded minivan with comfy leather seating, rear-seat enterainment, towing package, and every single other option on the sheet, and only have just scratched the price of a no-options base tahoe. To bring the Tahoe interior in line with a Sedona SXL, Odyssey Touring Elite, Sienna Limited Premum, Town & Country Limited Platinum, or [insert top-trim minivan here], plus the tow package, you're adding 20 grand worth of options and pushing the sticker north of $60,000.

And a BOF SUV is still massive overkill for towing 4 go-karts.
>>
File: truk.jpg (37KB, 565x424px) Image search: [Google]
truk.jpg
37KB, 565x424px
>>14142824
>>
File: Bear21.jpg (95KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Bear21.jpg
95KB, 800x600px
>>14142824
>truck
>seats 5
>towing light loads
>Fuel economy
6.0 ford super duty, they are cheap to get, wont self destruct under light use, and get decent fuel mileage if not dually
>>
>>14142835
>Tundra

no

no no no

Every tundra owner should be castrated

These trucks are the biggest pieces of absolute shit. The fucking bodies and frames rust out so fast its ridiculous

Anyone who buys a Jap full size pick up deserves every misfortune that comes to them
>>
>>14148085
You're looking at it all wrong.

Sure, an absolute top of the line luxury edition minivan is going to beat out a fleet lease base model Tahoe.

The issue is that MOST minivans you see aren't going to fit that description, and neither are MOST Tahoes. You're not even going to find a "base model" vinyl seat vinyl floor Tahoe on a lot unless it's a commercial truck lot or you special ordered it. They just don't sell them. To be honest I'm not even sure if you can still order a Tahoe like that.

It's not overkill. Overkill implies that anything over what's needed is wasted.
It's overhead, a buffer, wiggle room. It's more than needed but the extra stil acts to improve the experience. The more powerful your tow vehicle is, the better it will pull. Especially in regards to low end torque where something like a Suburban will be far better than something like a V6 minivan with similar peak HP. The heavier your tow vehicle is, the better it will handle the trailer, because weight is relative. You don't want the trailer throwing the tow vehicle around. The better your brakes are, the better you'll stop the trailer.

The idea that you should buy the absolute smallest, lightest vehicle that is rated to tow your trailer is absurd. If you're looking at the minimum vehicle to tow your trailer, remember that minimum does not mean ideal. Minimum means just enough to legally get by. Any extra power, weight, or braking ability over what is"required" for a given trailer is NOT wasted.
>>
>>14148636
Oi that's a load of shite, i used me nans 0.2L golf to tow a kayak round me m8 neville's flat and it worked just fine it did
>>
>>14147699
Why do people keep claiming this bullshit? I'm 6'3 and have absolutely no issues fitting in a tacoma with a shitload of room to spare.

You must just be some fat cuck. Keep spewing your bullshit.
>>
>>14149443
5'7" Toyota shill detected.
>>
>>14148344
>towing 1000 lbs worth of go-kart
>HURR U NEED A SUPAH DUHDEE SMALLER TRUCKS WILL SELF DESTRUCT
You can hang 1000 lbs and then a thousand more behind a fucking Golf in Europe, you faggot.
>>
>>14147503
But lower tongue weight allows everyday vehicles to tow light loads instead of having to buy a moronically huge fucking pickup truck just to haul some firewood three times a year.
>>
>>14149983
Lower tongue weight doesn't help the vehicle pull or stop the trailer. It just eases the load on the tow vehicle's rear springs and makes it look as if the vehicle isn't struggling as much.

Lowering tongue weight to tow more is as bad an idea as using air bags to tow more. You're not helping the vehicle pull or stop the trailer, you're just making it look like it isn't overloaded.
>>
>>14149987
>Lower tongue weight doesn't help the vehicle pull or stop the trailer.

I know what you're getting at, but you're wrong in a way. Having the trailer with 80% of its weight on the axle, and 20% on the tongue means that there's so little weight on the rear of your vehicle, it's not affecting your turning or braking. If the trailer weighed 3,000lbs, and 2,000lbs of that was sitting on your tongue, your nose would be lifted in a golf substantially. This means your steering would be very slow to respond with the weight pushing from behind, and your braking would be mainly in the rear, and would drift from the trailer as well.

I'm not sure why exactly the US has such a huge difference in trailer weight ratios, but it probably has something to do with distances. In the US, I've driven my trailer 2,300 from destination to destination. I'd imagine you'd be hard pressed to get that kinda distance in europe, unless you were entering other countries.
>>
>>14149987
>stop the trailer
In the civilized world trailers have their own brakes. Also the power required to tow at adequate speed is vastly overrated. Around WW2 semi trucks had less than 100 HP.

People only obsess over towing power because they still want to accelerate to 60 in ten seconds despite pulling 5000 lbs.
>>
>>14142824
I guess if for some reason I had to get a pickup rather than being sensible and getting an A6 Avant or 5 Series Touring then I'd probably kill myself.
>>
>>14147699
>They're uncomfortable as hell if you're taller than 5'9"

Maybe the first gen ones, but thats true for all old midsize trucks
>>
>>14144003

>dog inside

You white people are so fucking crazy sharing your living space with animals
>>
>>14150960
Unlike black people my dog doesn't make noise all night and leave messes everywhere
>>
Ram ecodiesel desu (if you can afford it).
>>
>>14143771
owns 2 trucks
representative of the whole bunch
>>
>>14150788
>Having the trailer with 80% of its weight on the axle, and 20% on the tongue means that there's so little weight on the rear of your vehicle, it's not affecting your turning or braking.

There's just as much weight pushing the vehicle when you hit the brakes. That's what you're not getting.
3000 lb car + 3000 lb trailer = 6000 lbs your brakes need to stop even if the tongue weight is 0. But with so little difference in weight, the trailer is going to by trying to pivot on it's wheels and throw the tow vehicle around.

Compare that to a 5000 lb tow vehicle with the same trailer but a higher tongue weight. Just the extra weight will make the vehicle far more stable but moving the trailer's COG further forward reduces it's leverage on the tow vehicle and makes handling more predictable.

All in all, towing with a heavier vehicle and (to a certain point) a little more tongue weight is just safer all around.

>>14150797
>In the civilized world trailers have their own brakes.
>needing trailer brakes for a 500 lb trailer
Oh, Europe...

>Also the power to tow at adequate speed is vastly overrated.
>required
Just because it isn't required doesn't mean it isn't desired.
A person can pull a 747. That doesn't mean it's viable means to taxi them around runways.

>people only obsess over towing power because they still want to accelerate to 60 in ten seconds despite pulling 5000 lbs.
Or because they want to be able to merge into traffic without waiting forever or forcing other people to slam on the brakes. I guess you could say we're more... civilized here.
>>
F350 King Ranch edition. Outlasted so many duramaxi-pads.
>>
>>14151897
Trailer brakes are mandated in excess of 1650 lbs here, and I don't know why that's a bad thing. Trailer brakes make towing safer. And if you can't merge into traffic with a trailer it means that your road design is a failure, not that your car is.
>>
>>14151915
Holy fuck anon, it would be easier to just get a heavier vehicle with a big engine. What do you expect us to do, change the road?

>it means that your road design is a failure not that your car is
>>
>>14151915
>trailer brakes make towing safer
If your laws make it legal to tow trailers too heavy for vehicles that weren't designed to be towed with, then yes trailer brakes are useful even on light trailers.

Here in a America we tow with vehicles that were designed to tow and have existing brakes designed to stop the weight the vehicle is rated for.

>And if you can't merge into traffic with a trailer
You can merge, but the less power you have the slower you'll be doing it. The slower you do it, the larger the number of people that you will force to slow down. Can you not make a right on red in Europe?
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.