[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

tl;dr; 2005 STi with a spun rod bearing. Should I buy a short

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

File: STi.jpg (2MB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
STi.jpg
2MB, 3000x2000px
tl;dr; 2005 STi with a spun rod bearing. Should I buy a short block? What one? OEM? What other parts are typically needed? Turbo? Oil shit? Should I get the block worked on and replace the internals? I tried looking at the big subie forums, but its all just circle jerking.
>>
Did you "tune" this engine before this happened
>>
File: top kek.jpg (39KB, 499x371px) Image search: [Google]
top kek.jpg
39KB, 499x371px
>>14134482
be a man and swap a new FA engine from a jdm levorg or a new WRX

you can do it OP

I trust in you
>>
>>14134541
No.
>>
>>14134556
>levorg

I thought this god machine only existed in ping pong land
>>
>>14134482
Spun bearings usually mean everything in the block got etched up a little or a lot, but the peripherals should be fine.

You only need the smallblock, but only if you have access to tools and space. Otherwise buying a longblock and having someone else do it for you might be more cost effective.

Either way, wrxs are meme machines and will cost a lot for what they are.
>>
>>14134671
Im not looking to do 500hp so Im fine with what it is. Should I just get an OEM short block or maybe something like an AIG?
>>
>>14134698
Honestly i have no idea. Theres a trip poster (legasay?) who would know, but hes been quiet recently.

Despite their shitposting, forums are still better than here for specific questions.
>>
>Turbo Subaru
>Spun Bearing

EVERY
FUCKING
TIME

and people STILL think these cars are reliable when they blow up more than Turbo Rotaries. What the FUCK

Try swapping a EJ207, otherwise just get a EJ257 shortblock for $1600 and pray it wont happen again. If youre smart take it as a opportunity to either build the motor, at the very least I'd drop it all off at a machine shop so they could hot tank the heads and all to avoid any contamination
>>
Just get a semi built block
>>
>>14134584

> did you tune it?
> no

story of every STi with a blown block
>>
>>14134749
I was considering getting an IAG stage 2 short block and then some upgrades in the oil pump and water pumps. What are the odds that the turbo is bad?
>>
>>14134718
Yeah, why are spun bearings a thing on these engines?
>>
>>14134770
Poor maintenance and asshole drivers.
>>
>>14134761

>did you tune it
>yes
>should've left it stock faggot lmoa

You can't win with these stupid cars and their legion of fanboy owners. I'm pretty sure people just convince themselves they're reliable because the WRX was the only sporty AWD car under $30k for a long time in the last 10 years.
>>
>>14134797
>>14134761
Keep shit posting and not helping.
>>
>>14134770
The oil pick-up on the oil pump is known to crack and suck air in which aerates the oil.

air is a horrible lubricant.
>>
>>14134886
>>14134886
I can only find one video on this and seemed to be more of an act of god considering its a metal tube.
>>
>>14134859
I helped as best as I could in >>14134718

It's up to the OP if he wants to keep it or sell it
>>
>>14134482
Spun bearing, assuming that you didn't starve the bastard of oil is really minimal internal damage. If its a low mile block, disassemble and have the crankshaft milled. then get bearings from that same machine shop to match the amount of material taken from the crankshaft. Inspect the cylinders for excessive wear, and measure for roundness. Chances are that you will only need to get the cylinders re honed. Replace piston rings, get whatever your machine shop recommends.

If you are looking to crank up the boost, get forged pistons and rods. You will still need to measure for roundness, as you will need to bore the cylinders the appropriate amount for oversized pistons. Again, consult machine shop if you are not comfortable with this level of precision. The machine shop will match the size of the pistons to the cylinder, bore and hone. Be prepared for some oil consumption, as forged pistons can leave a little more slop when cold.

OEM short blocks are usually stupid expensive. I would imagine you could get your hands on a PDF of the FSM for this car, and know the entirety of the teardown and rebuild. If you can't, Please say so. I have the books and can scan the necessary pages.

I have been through this process with the EJ25 twice now, and I can help you with advice as needed.
>>
>>14134886
First one I had dealt with was detonation on number 3, blowing ring lands out. Injectors were sized wrong.

Second one was oil starvation due to an asshole not listening to his gauge cluster/engine.
>>
>>14134952
Thank you for the reply.

I am considering buying the car with the blown motor if the person accepts my very low offer. The car has less than 80,000 miles on it and the body is in great shape. I'm seeing around $2000 for a OEM short block from subaru and around $3000 for a short block from IAG that claims it can handle 475BHP. I'm not looking to have anything like that. A stock build would be good enough, I've just always loved this car.

Going the rebuild route, would ANY machine shop be worth going to? Do I need to go to one that specializes in cars? There are ten just random machine shops within 5 miles of me.
>>
>>14134797
They are reliable, if you aren't a dickhead with them. In my time at a subaru dealer, the only major malfunctions were user based. Some shithead gets a boost controller. Some shithead launches in 2nd. Some shithead doesn't maintain his car, because he is too busy doing.. whatever.

Subarus have their faults. But I have seen examples of these functioning just fine near 200k. Like anything else, you beat the piss out of it, don't be upset when it breaks.
>>
>>14134986
Yes. Go to a machine shop that is automotive focused. I would go as far as seeking advice from others in your area, maybe through Nasioc or some other forum. Also, when you get the quote, Ensure that they know what a horizontally opposed engine is, as some shops aren't equipped to bore or hone these blocks.

If you don't want to put the effort or time into the rebuild, and you are just going to stick to factory power levels, go with OEM. it should have the best warranty. If you are going anywhere higher, I would go with the performance block.

You will end up paying about 1500 in parts and machine labor, plus your own time putting together an EJ25. I do this because I love it, but if you are on a time table there is no substitute for a drop in solution.
>>
>>14134777
>>14134886
thanks
>>
>>14134952
>have the crankshaft milled
I wouldn't, especially if I was planning on hooning the car every once in a while.
>>
>>14135041
What is your reasoning? Crankshaft milling is perfectly fine as long as your bearings are properly sized.
>>
>>14135050
if the crankshaft is damaged enough to need machining it's probably a better idea to just get a new one. after .04 of a mm the crankshaft is basically useless unless you're running an old shit beater and don't care much. machining it will probably fuck up any OEM hardening processes it may have undergone. let alone having such a crankshaft on a performance-oriented car.

I might be wrong, but it sounds risky business to me.
>>
>>14134482

Buy a low mileage junkyard engine and stfu
>>
File: 7272879_gal[1].jpg (23KB, 462x296px) Image search: [Google]
7272879_gal[1].jpg
23KB, 462x296px
>>14134650
thats why i said jdm levorg

overnights part from japan

the FA bolt pattern is the same as the EJ, OP would just need new engine mounts and a standalone
>>
>>14134671
>smallblock
dont you mean shortblock
>>
>>14135050
This
>>
>>14135074
I agree to a certain extent. It would be better to shave a crank built to handle the performance. But chances are the oem crank would work find if you take a modest approach.
>>
>>14135074
spec on that crankshaft is .5mm below 48 or 52mm. I wouldn't throw out a crankshaft that had out of round journals as long as they were within .5 . Why would you throw out good parts? these things are made to be serviced. There is no way that a spun bearing has ground off enough material to make a difference, they normally just need honing to get rid of that. That is why bearings are made from relatively soft metal.
>>
File: ls2swap.jpg (13KB, 294x171px) Image search: [Google]
ls2swap.jpg
13KB, 294x171px
>>14135101

nah m8 we all know he can find a junk yard LS for $500 and swap it in

It only takes one afternoon
>>
>>14135094
Jesus christ no. This is how we get trapped in project car hell.
>>
File: 1397468212013.png (258KB, 609x548px) Image search: [Google]
1397468212013.png
258KB, 609x548px
>>14135125
he should do it, it would be great

he could develop the swap kit and sell it for profit
>>
>>14134482
>spun bearing
To do it PROPERLY you will need the block inspected by a machine shop. It will probably need to be bored and cleaned up (acid dip). If it's not too damaged I would rebuild that motor. Go ahead and get it decked, and crank knife edged etc. Worth the money while it's out. Then I would buy carillo rods. Weisco (or similar) pistons. I would get the oil/coolant channels looked at and modified if necessary (not 100% familiar with the sti engines). TUNE IT PROPERLY with a god damn dyno. It's one of those things where if your pulling the engine apart, just replace all the things you can. Gaskets, springs, o-rings etc etc etc. It will be a few thousand dollars to do it right. Then stop driving it like a fucking asshole.
>>
>>14135112
unless you are going cosworth stupid with your power goals, no need. Pistons are the weak point in the USDM EJ. Tuned PROFESSIONALLY, you should be able to get 400+ WHP car with just rods and pistons (AND TURBO AND TUNE AND INJECTORS AND EXHAUST AND INTERCOOLER AND WATER/METH) that will run you 100k plus.
>>
>>14135138
the man who refused to cum quietly
>>
>>14135143
>knife edged

Have you ever seen an HO crank?
>>
>>14135118
>There is no way that a spun bearing has ground off enough material to make a difference,
that's why I said "if".
>>14135112
it would probably work just fine but I wouldn't entrust it with the same abuse and mileage expectancy of a clean one.

assuming the engine has been designed with precision in mind, eccentric crankshafts might be quite a problem in the long run. I'm pretty sure a tractor or something rough like that would withstand worse than .05mm with ease.

I'm not 100% sure because I'm not a native speaker, but if "spun crankshaft bearing" means one or more of the bearings in contact with the crankshaft are damaged, replacing them would probably just do the trick. as this dude said
>>14135118
>That is why bearings are made from relatively soft metal.
it might not have damaged the crankshaft at all. usually bronze, I think.
>>
>>14135175
I have used plenty of old cores for high horsepower applications. The only thing better than a verified within spec and freshly machined crankshaft, would be a billet unit. And for 99.9 percent of roadgoing applications. that would be overkill. Call it voodoo science if you want, but I would rather have a core that has gone through heat cycles for my performance engine.
>>
>>14135074
Also also, if machining fucked up hardening processes, forging would be pointless.
>>
>>14135234
>>14135221
hmmm, yeah, I guess a sturdy crankshaft will be alright after some proper machining. perhaps what I understood was more directed towards regular econobox crankshafts of lesser quality, more like "you risk ending up with a crankshaft that costed a lot to mill but isn't as reliable or durable now".
>>
So, this got out of hand. Do you have a way forward, OP?
>>
>>14135150
Fucking made me bust out laughing in public.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.