[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was so great about the Northstar V8?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: Northstar_V8.jpg (37KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
Northstar_V8.jpg
37KB, 500x400px
What was so great about the Northstar V8?
>>
>>14133005
>inb4 head bolts and gaskets
>>
the spark plugs
>>
>>14133005
long service intervals, could run without coolant
>>
>>14133011
Yeah, I'll be that guy. Almost everything about it is great except for the head bolts corroding and the head falling the fuck off the block. I'm in the process of dumping my Cadillac Eldorado.
>>
Imagine changing that alternator
>>
>>14133037
>long service intervals

In practice, this isn't true at all.

Northstar engines were only popular because tey were GMs first mass-production DOHC V8. It's sole purpose was to attract premium market buyers so that Cadillac can stay competitive with the European marques.

It was a wreck for much of it's life, though. Things didn't get better until the twilight of its years. I think people say 2002+ are generally safe. But by then the Northstar was already old and long in the tooth so it wasn't nearly as competitive.
>>
>>14133005
Theres nothing good about a shitty V8 made by GM which barely made power in those bigass Caddys and leaked oil EVERYWHERE.
>>
File: DSC_8987_low.jpg (379KB, 1971x1306px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_8987_low.jpg
379KB, 1971x1306px
Drove a Deville for 5 years. Northstar is a great engine
>>
>>14133504

My mom had an '03 Northstar

Garbage tier V8. GM did a nice job of keeping oil businesses profitable during the Northstar era. That shit heap drank oil, you probably pay more in the oil to keep it from running dry than you actually spent on the oil change every 3-5K. Also head gaskets blowing, and coolant leaks were perennial problems that could never be fixed, even with fucking OEM replacements. You can talk shit about LS V8s, but that was the best decision GM made when they decided to stick LS V8's into their V cars. Much, much more reliable.
>>
File: IMG_0501.jpg (3MB, 3888x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0501.jpg
3MB, 3888x2592px
>>14133037
>run without coolant
enjoy your cracked block
>>
sucks oil like a champ and not give a shit about seals "solid R&D, boys."
>>
>>14133531
>>14133533

Yeah it took 7 qt, meaning you had to buy a 5qt jug AND TWO 1qt jugs just to refill.

and for what its worth, I though I had a gasket leak, (oil in the coolant, etc) so I put some blue devil in and it stopped the overheating.

When it happened again a few months later I gave up and gave the car to my brother. He replaced the water pump and now 2 years later the engine is as good as ever.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.