[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you know when drum brakes (shoes) need replacing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: Drum_brake_testrender.jpg (43KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Drum_brake_testrender.jpg
43KB, 800x600px
How do you know when drum brakes (shoes) need replacing?
>>
Grinding noise, pulls to one side during braking, weak brakes

Or just looking at them if you're unsure
>>
File: 20150627_141957.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20150627_141957.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
If you're missing the "padding" on tje steel shoe or bits of it; replace, and also replace on the other side
>>
I dont know if drum shoes have wear indicators, but if they don't you just pull the cover off and look at them just like you would a disc pad.
>>
You check the lining to and see how thick it is. Normally they start out at about 5mm (3/16th) thick and you would probably want to replace them around 1mm at the latest. Some of them have a wear indicator, some dont. Because most car and light truck brake shoes are bonded (rather than riveted) there's no chance if wearing them to rivets so as long as you avoid steel shoe to drum contact you'll be ok.
>>
>>14115509
Handbrake lever started to feel loose until I pull it far back.
Rear drums seize after few days of sitting so the car does a hop when I start driving.
I feel rear brakes worse: my car is light so when I have to brake a bit more intensive and feel front wheels lock and rear do nothing it's obvious they fail.
>>
If the drum has a channel in it.
People forget to change rear drum pads and the old ones grind a slot in the drums.

Also, any cracks in the pads.
>>
File: IMG_3512.jpg (1MB, 3264x1832px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3512.jpg
1MB, 3264x1832px
You have to pop the drum off to inspect them. >>14115553 covered it good, but they don't squeal like disks do when they run out of pad.
>>
File: 1332125725785.jpg (1MB, 3264x1832px) Image search: [Google]
1332125725785.jpg
1MB, 3264x1832px
i love drum brakes
the non linear pedal feel
the grabby feel on a wet morning
the fade after 2 hard stops
>>
>>14115582
They may just need adjustment
>>
>>14115582
>>14117400
This.

Even with self-adjusters drum brakes need regular adjustment. And most don't adjust them tight enough. When they're right it actually take a bit of effort to rotate the wheel due to the drag and it sounds like they're solidly engaged. Of course a moments thought and you figure out that if you can still rotate the wheel by hand then that's nothing to the car. If the drum isn't round though you'll never get them right.
>>
>>14116357
They aren't meant to be used in performance cars, dingus. I don't know why you're driving your DD in a fashion where you get them hot enough to fade noticeably.
>>
Drums are interesting because they've been around for so god damn long they're basically perfected and maintenance free.
The only problem is they're so maintenance free that by the time you have to fix them the drum is completely rusted on (at least in Minnesota). So unless you have a Honda where you just crank a bolt in to pop them off, you have to hit them with a hammer until the drum comes off. But by that time you've hit it so much you've smacked it out of round.
>>
>>14117898
>you have a Honda where you just crank a bolt in to pop them off

My toyota has this.
>>
>>14115509
When they lock up with little to no pedal pressure when cold
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.