[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where did you learn about cars /o/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 13

File: learning.jpg (130KB, 670x503px) Image search: [Google]
learning.jpg
130KB, 670x503px
Where did you learn about cars /o/?
>>
on /o/

learned that the only car you should drive is a 2 door RWD manual wishbone suspension sportsbox from the 90s.
>>
High School Auto Shop
>>
>>14097173
I live in rural IL and I bought a car with a manual transmission in Chicago as my first adult decision. I had no idea how to drive a manual so I learned in the middle of Chicago traffic. Then I got it home and as soon as I got into my neighborhood the fuel pump, mass airflow sensor, and starter motor simultaneously so I got to spend the weekend figuring out how to fix the thing.
The car gods slowly eased me into it by fucking shit up basically.
>>
From my dad, got a highschool job at an indy garage, went to tech school, worked as a tech, continued training, more school, still learn a lot every day
>>
File: Fiat_127_83_OWM0001.jpg (73KB, 638x825px) Image search: [Google]
Fiat_127_83_OWM0001.jpg
73KB, 638x825px
>>14097173
when my shitbox broke down
>>
File: 1450399610782.jpg (146KB, 1024x559px) Image search: [Google]
1450399610782.jpg
146KB, 1024x559px
I grew up reading Hot Rod and Car Craft.
>>
Had a car, bought Haynes manual, replaced service parts, googled a lot, bought a commonly swapped engine, googled more. Used another manual to rebuild the engine with a lot of new parts, install engine, trouble shoot with manual/Google.

I also replaced suspension bits And tires but those were considerably simpler
>>
>>14097173
Forums and here.

Initial D peaked my interest and then I bought a beater to tear down.
>>
>>14097173
University
>>
File: 1445714333388.gif (1MB, 450x188px) Image search: [Google]
1445714333388.gif
1MB, 450x188px
>>14097676

Mah nigga
>>
Nowhere. I poke around in the engine bay blindly and wiggle things, then ignore problems. Sometimes I wash the car. Other times I jump start it.
>>
Ballet class.
>>
at the side of a road
>>
>>14097173
>bought a 50 year old rust bucket with precisely zero functioning systems at age 16
>sink or swim motherfucker
>>
>>14097173
I post on /o/ so I don't actually know anything about cars.
>>
>>14098422
this desu senpai
>>
Haynes manual + online forums for my car
>>
File: image.jpg (69KB, 365x243px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69KB, 365x243px
>>14097173
I started getting into cars when I was young. Can't remember exactly what age I was, pre-middle school. But, I started to get into Japanese imports around the time Initial D hit the states in the mid-late 90's.

But, when I really started to learn about building engines and building a performance street car, was when I started working at a Honda Dealership as a lot porter / detailer. Which was right after high school.
>>
File: WP_20151223_001.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151223_001.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
>>14097173
Reading every car magazine I could lay my hands on from the age of 12.
Progressing on to engine tuning books, then technical engineering texts, then a mechanical engineering degree, then 18 months running an engine development test bed, then 13 months developing test programs, analysing data and calibrating for performance and emissions at an OEM.

The only thing I actually know is that I dont really know anything.
I still learn things everyday, and still love every second of working with engines, talking about engines, looking at engines.

>pic related. Books on my coffee table at the moment
>>
>>14097183
Found the retard who bought a 2015 Civic
>>
File: Capture.png (994KB, 593x790px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
994KB, 593x790px
>>14097173
I started going racing. Which meant I started breaking many things. I went from not knowing how to change the oil to being able to rebuild an engine. Soon I wanted to learn how to make a car go faster too.

>>14100081
I'm a fan of the Carroll Smith books. They are written in a way such that even a software developer can understand them. They are not super dry like textbooks and manuals either.
>>
>>14100232

Just be careful with Carroll Smith books. Sure the basics are there, I've read them all myself many times. But some of the details are very outdated. Most of it is gear toward low travel race cars with softer sway bars and super stiff springs because tires really sucked back then. Pretty much all competitive race cars except some open wheelers have went to higher travel softer springs, larger sway bars because tires have so much more grip than before.
>>
Mom had a boyfriend for about four years who worked for a junkyard and he showed me alot but I always loved cars from real young
>>
>>14100261
I am aware. I am not a race engineer myself, I have a buddy to help with that. It really helps a lot to be able to understand what he's doing and communicate accurately though.
>>
File: cessnapics1.jpg (93KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
cessnapics1.jpg
93KB, 1024x768px
>always kinda been interested in cars
>but mainly into aircraft, dream about being a pilot
>turn 16, start my training
>140 hours and more borrowed money than I'm willing to admit later, realize I can't afford to be a pilot nor do I have the personality/passion
>watch Initial D for the first time
>start browsing /o/
>begin feeling remorse for the autotragic econobox I once liked

Currently learning to drive standard at 21 and planning to get a new car once I'm in the military. Will probably be a stupid money pit like a Porsche 996 I'll end up dying in at the bottom of a mountain.
>>
>>14099838
Initial D never hit the states.
>>
carroll smith books are shit. way too outdated and not in depth.
it's like reading a programming book that just tells you how to make it work not why it doesn't.
>>
Top Gear
>>
Initial d
>>
So what is some good /o/ literature? I want to learn about the internal combustion engine. I have a general understanding of how it works, but I want to deepen that understanding.
>>
>>14100360
Any of the books in the pic here
>>14100081
>>
Initial D
>>
>>14100372
Shouldn't I look for something more recent? "Internal combustion engine fundamentals" seems like a nice book, but it's released in 1988, won't it lack information about direct injection and other stuff?
>>
I learned a lot from my dad growing up as far as mechanics and setup.
But I got to the point of knowing more than him by like first year college after I started taking an interest in mech engineering and fluid dynamics, at least in theory.

He's still stuck in like boomer bolt on mentality though. Like he's impressed by headers and big carbs.
He would never port a head, or rebuild an engine, or swap to a tuneable EFI, or whatever. He just assumes it's too complicated.

He still knows more about set up than me though because when we were racing he did all of that and you need the hands on experience to be good at it.
>>
>>14100316
Nice one bucko.
>>
>>14100394
You may need sae articles for anything really upto date.
Get Haywood, its a great book.
Also this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Engines-Introduction-John-L-Lumley/dp/0521644895
>>
File: IMG_3071.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3071.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Bought a restoration project at my 17th birthday and worked with my dad to get it on the road by my 18th birthday. We actually managed to do it, i got my license and the car went through the EU bullshit the same day. That and a few hiccups that came along because i used it as a daily driver taught me how to work on cars
>>
Youtube, Google, and Haynes manuals.
>>
When birthed.
Man come and say 'blyat, you are go be mechanic'.
Now am mechanic.
Is ok job.
>>
>>14097188
same.

other helpful auto information resources
>books
>the internet
>>
>>14097208
this.
>>
From cars
>>
>>14097173
i don't know much about cars, i just shitpost and /o/ eats that shit up every time
>>
Repairs/modification
Haynes/Chilton manuals
got bored once and read the wiki articles for every engine layout when i was 18
auto tech class teacher/ this book
>>
>>14104251
WTF man! Let it die. At least use sage.
>>
>>14104265
Does sage even work anymore?
What about noko
>>
>>14104281
sage never stopped working
>>
I never did.
I've only been here occasionally for about 3 weeks.

I've never even changed my own oil lel, I know less about cars than the average person.
>>
File: madoka homu scarf.png (403KB, 647x797px) Image search: [Google]
madoka homu scarf.png
403KB, 647x797px
>>14104265
>sage in a 5 hour old thread
>on /o/
>the 3rd(?) slowest board
>>
>>14104322
Yes, that's the perfect time. A thread that has lasted 3 fucking days should be culled and left for dead. Especially a stupid one. Only fags bump there own threads for a week.
>>
File: tiny anime girp.png (4MB, 4050x4050px) Image search: [Google]
tiny anime girp.png
4MB, 4050x4050px
>>14104335
You seem really distraught over this anon.
>>
>>14104322
BTW, I'll bet /o/ is finally placed 7th fastest. Fuck, even /a/ is slow as hell. This place is dying. Has been for 3 years.
>>
>>14104341
You've been here for 3 years?
That's cute
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.