[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking into getting an american V8 with manual transmission,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 9

File: 1984-Corvette-C4[1].jpg (66KB, 605x343px) Image search: [Google]
1984-Corvette-C4[1].jpg
66KB, 605x343px
Looking into getting an american V8 with manual transmission, but I am having a hard time, since the 350s are all automatic..
So far one of the better manuals that I found was the C4 corvette.

Any suggestions?
>>
Fox Bodies and GTOs are usually manual. C4 is a good choice if you find a ZF6.
>>
>>14093996

You'll want to avoid 84-88 C4 Corvettes with factory manual transmissions. They were Doug Nash 4+4 so 4 speeds with a under/overdrive attachment. Not very reliable or easy to work on.

Why not buy the cheaper auto and swap in a manual? Pretty easy if at least some trim was offered with a manual. Or there are tons of kits that are mostly affordable. Then you can get a good transmission rather than OEM junk.
>>
My 350 is automatic and I love it

Why don't you just accept the future anon?
>>
C4 is a great car, but chances are you'll never find a reasonable priced manual, or one destroyed. Few c4s were bought/ made in manual compared to the auto. Foxes are a good option but can get expensive and quality is sometimes questionable from previous owners
>>
>>14094049

Eh some people just like manuals. Had a chance to drive a 460 Fox Body with close to 600 hp. It was an auto with a full manual valve body. Pretty fun, but not as much fun in my opinion as my close to stock 5.0 T5 Fox Body.
>>
>>14094044
how hard is the process of swapping the auto with a ZF6?
>>
>>14094094

Probably the most difficult compared to say a Camaro or Mustang from the same era.

Best bet would be to find a wrecked manual C4 and take everything you need.

Bell housing, flywheel, clutch, pedals, master cylinder, linkage, crossmember, driveshaft, and transmission.

A complete Z6F package like that is pretty rare around here. I've only seen very few ZF6 transmissions for sale out of a car in over a decade of hitting up auto swap meets and the few I did were incomplete or in need of a rebuild. You're best bet is probably to go with an LT1 T56 from an F-Body. That will work on either a SBC or LT1 Corvette engine. But then you still need to come up with the clutch and pedals setup and probably a custom driveshaft.
>>
File: new car 2 001.jpg (519KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
new car 2 001.jpg
519KB, 1600x1200px
>>14093996
>american V8 with manual transmission
>>
>>14094071
> manual valve body
what is the point of going to all this effort
>>
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5348834399.html

This seems like a good deal for what it is.
>>
>>14094269

Putting a full manual valve body in an auto transmission isn't really that difficult. For $100-300 you can convert most older common American automatics to a full manual valve body. Basically it just means that you can hold the trans in any gear regardless of the pressure on the valve body. It's mostly used for drag cars, but I've seen it used in street cars that are used for autoX and track days too. Take the GM TH350. At some high RPM in 1st gear it will shift out of 1st into 2nd. Or if you are in 1st and you hit a high RPM and then let off quickly so it sees vacuum then it will shift to 2nd and then can kick back down to 1st. Many drag cars have full manual valve bodies for maximum control. A bracket car is most often a full manual valve body with an air shifter for maximum consistency. I've also seen paddle shifters employed with a full manual valve body 4L60E using an air shifter.
>>
>>14094338
Yeah I was mostly wondering what the point was but I guess it's useful if you don't like shifting most of the time.

I don't really understand why you would want it to all be automatic even if you're doing a drag race? Doesn't it just come down to the car rather than skill then? Not saying there's no skill involved, but less so than otherwise.
>>
swapping an auto c4 to manual is very expensive not to mention the zf6 is an expensive piece of German shit.
>>
>>14094353
Your competition will ask be using automatic and automatic will improve your times so...

But manual is more fun on the road and makes you feel more in tune with the car.
>>
C5 owner but the C4 auto is pretty close...The way GM makes them it's damn close to a manual.

from bottom up the shifter goes 1-2-3-D. In 1 or 2 the car is LOCKED into that gear. In 3 it can move between 1, 2 and 3 but if you don't shift into that until you're at the top of 2nd it's effectively locked in 3rd.

Most of the older Vette's were 4 speeds so I figure it's pretty close to that actually. And MUCH better 5 drive in traffic.
>>
>>14093996
Look at better vehicles like fords
>>
Foxbody is the best option, trans is pretty durable, parts are everywhere, extremely cheap to bring up to 300hp, looks a bit sleeperish to the average person.
>>
>>14094353

A full manual valve body means you always have to shift. It eliminates Drive where it will run through the gears. It's really a race only thing. Using one on the street and not being on your game can cook the trans by mismatching pressures via poor gear section.

Bracket racing and index racing are all about consistency and hitting as close to possible to a specified ET. Hence an air shifted auto for maximum consistency. Stick shift drag racing these days is pretty much only for nostalgia, some series dedicated to it, or amateur stuff.

Autos are cheap and easy to build for huge power and better for launching thanks to the torque converter.
>>
>>14095016
> Bracket racing and index racing are all about consistency and hitting as close to possible to a specified ET.

artificial difficulty?
>>
>>14095067
Actually it makes it easier, since it's not money-based. You can win with a 20 second car or a 9 second car.
>>
>>14095078
That's a good point.
>>
>>14095067

Bracket racing allows all sorts of cars compete together from different classes or specs. It's common at my dragstrip to have the weekend warrior bracket race. Up to 32 street cars can try to qualify only rule is you have to have a licensed car with insurance. Some cars run 8-9s and some cars run 15-16s. You set your dial in, and try to get as close as you can without breaking out. A car running 15 versus a car running 9 leaves 6 seconds sooner off the tree. If you don't have a drag car built to a near pro spec class then heads up racing isn't that useful. That's where bracket racing comes in. You can run all sorts of cars against other cars whether way faster or slower. Even then a huge portion of purpose built drag cars even for heads up racing are auto. For super high powered cars it used to be highly modified 2 speeds based on the 2 speed GM Powerglide. Nowadays It's pretty common to run completely custom autos based on the GMTH400 either as a 2 or 3 speed. Those transmissions can handle the rigors of making a drag launch with 1,000+ lb-ft.
>>
File: chevrolet silverado lowered.jpg (648KB, 2048x1360px) Image search: [Google]
chevrolet silverado lowered.jpg
648KB, 2048x1360px
don't be a cuck, get a truck

but actually it is fairlly easy to find older F150s or C10s with a 302/351 or 350 respectively with 4 speed manuals
>>
File: 1450308743075.jpg (44KB, 529x502px) Image search: [Google]
1450308743075.jpg
44KB, 529x502px
>since all the 350s come with automatics

Welp guess it's time for a big block.
>>
File: Camaro SS.jpg (89KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Camaro SS.jpg
89KB, 640x480px
Can't go wrong with an LS1 Fbody with a 6 Speed

Trashes anything S197> and even some 5.0s with cam work.

LS1 is easy to work on, bolt ons are plentiful and boost responds well to stock internals
>>
>>14094855
>muscle car
>having below 300 HP
>>
>>14095428
Hommie I don't think thats a silverado at all unless the dimensions of that picture are misleading
>>
File: ford f100.jpg (228KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
ford f100.jpg
228KB, 1280x960px
>>14095787
it's a c/k10, sue me.
>>
>>14095799
how can you be sure it isn't an '89 s10?
>>
File: cheverolet c10.jpg (616KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
cheverolet c10.jpg
616KB, 1600x1200px
>>14095816
grill, headlights, cab shape, bed shape

are you trolling or do you not recognize it?
>>
File: depressed.jpg (62KB, 750x855px) Image search: [Google]
depressed.jpg
62KB, 750x855px
>>14095849

>tfw no regular cab, short bed boomer truck
>>
File: DSC_2223 edit.jpg (3MB, 2500x1661px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2223 edit.jpg
3MB, 2500x1661px
>>14095864
>tfw rclb boomer truck but no veeyate or manual trans
>>
>>14095849
it looked a lot like an older s10 with a custom grill I saw recently to me

I drive a v8 s10 myself.
>>
>>14095966
Def a full size c10. First gen s10s have different body lines (I drive one lol). Post your truck and specs plz.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.