[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fallen Muscle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 12

It's well documented that /o/ misses Pontiac, but what about all the other defunct muscle brands? Any love here for Plymouth, Oldsmobile, Mercury or AMC?
>>
File: image1.jpg (77KB, 640x397px) Image search: [Google]
image1.jpg
77KB, 640x397px
I have a Mercury so of course I'm into them, but it's not like any of those brands were ever going to be saved or redeemed anyway
>>
>>14069028
Amc made some cool wacky stuff, I like their cars
>>
>>14069045
I would totally a new AMC with better build quality
>>
S A T U R N
A
T
U
R
N
>>
>>14069082
>Saturn
>Muscle
>>
>>14069019
>Americans discover aerodynamics
>ban it
>>
File: EastAfricanSafari_02_700.jpg (74KB, 700x427px) Image search: [Google]
EastAfricanSafari_02_700.jpg
74KB, 700x427px
>>14069098
>Europeans encounter horsepower
>ban it
>>
>>14069112
>can't even beat a mini
>>
I loved the style of AMC. Plymouth was cool as fuck too. I actually like all kinds of muscle...
>>
File: Chaparral2Emuseum.jpg (169KB, 864x590px) Image search: [Google]
Chaparral2Emuseum.jpg
169KB, 864x590px
>>14069098

Weren't american race cars at one point the leader of Aerodynamics in racing?

>Enzo Ferrari says aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines

>Chaparral Cars stomp people with giant wings and fans that suck the air from under the car

SCCA: ban the hackers!
>>
>>14069019
Of course, lots of love to them.

Its a shame what happened to all those. Except for AMC, their lineups became diluted by badge engineering, and eventually they were reduced to sub-par commuter vehicles with their glory days being a dim memory of the executives that led them.

AMC was never going to last, but Chrysler did have plans to turn Eagle, its successor, into an import-fighter brand. But like Plymouth, it was closed shortly after the DaimlerChrysler merger.

Oldsmobile's last good years were in the 80s, after which the brand was driven into the ground through a ten year process of filling the brand with unremarkable shitboxes. They closed in 2004, the first of GM's brands to die over the course of the decade.

Mercury was always treated well by Ford, until the 90s, when they largely abandoned Lincoln and Mercury in favor of their new European acquisitions, Jaguar and Volvo. Then it became populated by badge-engineered Fords, the most successful of which was the Grand Marquis, which became the only non-luxury Panther body available to the public after 2007. Then Ford went through the recession years, sold off their euro jewels, and were left with Mercury and Lincoln. The Panthers being discontinued in 2011, Mercury died with it as it was their biggest seller, and Ford had plans for Lincoln instead.

And then there is Pontiac's story, which is made more sad because they were getting back into performance when they were closed down.
>>
Maybe it's just me, but I'm unflattered by muscle cars in general because there's almost no model that wasn't part of some cross-brand parts modularity or even rebadging. Sure it makes modification easier if an entire range of GM or Ford engines bolt up or you can salvage one brand's car for another brand's spare parts, but it also makes them very unexciting. I guess AMC is still the most original one of the bunch.
>>
File: 02_tempest63.jpg (40KB, 750x422px) Image search: [Google]
02_tempest63.jpg
40KB, 750x422px
>>14069208
Look into first gen Pontiac Tempests, all one-off for the car, 4 speed transaxle/IRS, flexible driveshaft, and they made 10 of them with 421s and aluminum bodywork that ran 10s from the factory in 1962. There's cool stories about the history of those cars, some guy unknowingly had one that was super beat and listed it on ebay with no reserve, a few collectors found it and got in a bidding war to $225k, the guy thought it was just an old hacked up POS.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/10/ebay-find-of-the-day-1963-lemans-tempest-sells-for-226-521/
>>
File: Pontiac-Solstice-GXP-DC.jpg (125KB, 1775x925px) Image search: [Google]
Pontiac-Solstice-GXP-DC.jpg
125KB, 1775x925px
>>14069184

>then there is Pontiac's story, which is made more sad because they were getting back into performance when they were closed down.

Yea we could have gotten a modern BRZ/GT86 fighter.
>>
>>14069181
Don't forget Smokey Yunick, he put the first wing on an open wheel car at Indy.
>>
File: i005088.jpg (44KB, 720x396px) Image search: [Google]
i005088.jpg
44KB, 720x396px
>>14069019
>Any love here for Plymouth

HEMI CUDA

BOYYYYYYYYYY
>>
>>14069019
That care is rice at it's finest.

>giant spoiler that does nothing for performance
>soft top
>shitty heavy wheels
>vents that do nothing
>>
>>14069269
b8
>>
>>14069269
the spoiler provides downforce, but I do agree the wing cars were rice. still, that's a hell of a car there.
>>
>>14069234
But it's still a Pontiac Tempest. If I were to buy muscle I'd probably aim for an AMX.
>>
>>14069277
Do you just not know anything about the Superbird/Daytona twins?
>>
>>14069283
The only superbird/Daytona that needed the spoiler were the official track cars.

All of the street legal versions are slower then todays accords.

Especially the models with the soft top.
>>
File: DSC_0370.jpg (1MB, 1936x1296px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0370.jpg
1MB, 1936x1296px
>>14069283
I know some things.
>can you write ambiguous questions?
>>
>>14069208
>Sure it makes modification easier if an entire range of GM or Ford engines bolt up or you can salvage one brand's car for another brand's spare parts, but it also makes them very unexciting.
Through the 70's and at least part of the 80's, GM's different brands did at least have their own engines, and the body parts were only sometimes interchangeable. Sure you had the Chevy 350 thrown in everything, but there was still Cadillac's monster V8s going strong, Olds still had their Rocket, Buick had the Nailhead and the various engines that replaced it, and so on.
>>
>>14069283
>On the street, the nose cone and wing were very distinctive, but the aerodynamic improvements hardly made a difference there or on the drag strip. In fact, the 1970 Road Runner was actually quicker in the quarter mile and standard acceleration tests due to the increased weight of the Superbird's nose and wing. Only at speeds in excess of 60 mph (97 km/h) did the modifications show any benefit.[15]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Superbird

As I said, rice.
>>
>>14069287
The street ones needed them because this was a time when NASCAR still ran semi-stock cars- Meaning they had to be available to the general population with a certain number of units sold. The wing was that big so it could achieve their aerodynamic goals but was a compromise for the production based nature of the car so the damn trunk could still open, the wheels are all of something like 20 pounds because 15 inches, even if they are steel, a pittance compared to the monsters of today, but that's apples to oranges like saying they're slower than a car from today. No shit.
>>
>>14069310

The wing was that big for speeds in excess of 150mph.

On a daily car it's rice.
>>
>>14069318
no. the wing was that big so that you could open the trunk without affecting the wing.
>>
>>14069321
>kit kat
>not knowing how how window flow works
I guess it's to be expected from a faggot.
>>
>>14069318
It was functional for its intended purpose- It's like saying that Jeff Lutz' pro-mod is rice when it's driven on the street because it still has wheelie bars that aren't being used then and there- And as I said, the wing was that tall due to production compromises because of the NASCAR rulebook of the day.
>>
File: 1377811196319.jpg (53KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1377811196319.jpg
53KB, 500x500px
>there's an alternate universe someplace out there where you can go on a lot today and buy your choice of 2015 model year F-body twins, one still keeping hidden headlamps and a golden 'bird on the hood
>or you can buy yourself a gently used '14 Cutlass with the big Rocket under the hood and a Hurst six speed complete with pearl white shift ball

why do we have to live in this reality?
>>
>>14069326
>anon
>not knowing that the designers of the 68 charger and after designed a fucked aerodynamically stock car.
bruh this is common knowledge.
>>
>>14069332
So again, Rice.
>>
>>14069340
Rice is purely cosmetic, functional in no way- Are you gonna call all the shit put into things like the Porsche 918 rice because they're never actually utilized by the owner?
>>
>>14069321
If this were the reason they would have bolted the wing to the trunk lid. Engineers are smarter now then they were then, but give them SOME credit.
>>
>>14069350
Yes.
>>
File: desoto-adventurer-1959-1.jpg (48KB, 768x331px) Image search: [Google]
desoto-adventurer-1959-1.jpg
48KB, 768x331px
King of the land barges
>>
>>14069268
Friggin rights
>>
File: sammax8[1].gif (83KB, 588x186px) Image search: [Google]
sammax8[1].gif
83KB, 588x186px
>>14069531
True that, little buddy.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.