[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>he downshifted into first

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: 5f5.jpg (108KB, 638x477px) Image search: [Google]
5f5.jpg
108KB, 638x477px
>he downshifted into first
>>
From neutral?
>>
>>14061017
>neutral to first
>downshifting
>>
What's the problem with this? Ranger does it, it's a way to determine if a wrx 5 speed is still on good condition.
>>
>>14061017
>he's never driven a car with a big cam

It's perfectly fine in normal cars too, like when entering parking structures at the correct speed.
>>
>never driven on a windy 3rd world mountain road

You find yourself between first and second a lot.
>>
File: 1449552159950.png (12KB, 402x248px) Image search: [Google]
1449552159950.png
12KB, 402x248px
>just learned manual
>driving RWD car on windy road at 55-60 mph
>stop light
>want to downshift from 5th to 3rd
>downshift 5th to 1st
>tires break traction
>no one sleep in tokyo
>all right crossing the median
>no one quit the radio
>engine is on fire
>>
>>14061052
why not keep it in first then?
>>
>>14061063
Ok, maybe I downshifted 5th to 2nd. Makes more sense in retrospect unless I went terminally retarded and shifted up after 5th.
>>
>>14061068
so you can go faster and not blow a head gasket or some shit
>>
>>14061068
nigger im not going to stay at 5k rpm for 30 seconds because i'm too lazy to upshift
>>
File: KILL-ME.jpg (94KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
KILL-ME.jpg
94KB, 900x600px
Could someone explain why this is bad?
In city driving sometimes it has to happen.
>>
>Downshifting

Just shift into neutral and use the brakes. You're actually saving money by putting all the workload onto your brakes as opposed to your engine/tranny because your brakes cost relative pennies to replace.
>>
>>14061147
>he hasn't heard of EFI
>>
>>14061243
>Thinks EFI is worth a shit
>>14061147
Maybe I'm not coming to a full stop and don't want the lag time
>>
>>14061147
>Just endanger yourself and waste fuel, brake pads and rotors because you're worried about doing 0.00001% wear on your clutch
>All while not helping remove carbon from the engine and doing something that is an instant drive test failure in non-3rd world countries
Fucking kill yourself, faggot.
>>
>>14061147
>avoid engine braking as it damages your engine/tranny
This has to be a ruse.
>>
>>14061147
huh the engine/tranny spin regardless? all your doing is using the vacuum generated by the engine to slow down? its a complete myth that it does damage. also you'd be supprised how many cars you can pick up an engine/gearbox for under £50
>>
>>14061147
Holy fuck you are stupid
>>
>>14061261
>less gas used
>cleaner cylinders
>more money for mods to your car or for hookers
>>
>>14061063
Kek
>>
ITT: we go full jew when discussing car operation costs
>>
>>14061017

Done it in autox a bunch of times in my FR-S. I practically do it everyday when I enter parking lots. Triple coned syncros are a thing.
>>
That feel when commonly go fourth into first.

I don't get the hubbub. You break->neutral->keep breaking until you get to a speed that is within the first gear range->go to first gear.
>>
Isnt that not an issue unless its a truck trans with a granny first gear?

I mean, I avoid it because I learned/drive for work a truck with a granny first but its not actually some awful thing on a normal trans is it?
>>
>>14061243
Depends on the car. Mine only cuts fuel after 3-4 seconds of no throttle until it hits idle, and when it hits idle, it's very slow to react (dips to 500rpm, shudders a second, realizes it needs to idle, gets back to ~1k). Since the injectors keep pulsing for those few seconds, I don't actually save much fuel over popping it into neutral.

My rule of thumb for complete stops is always:
-Leave it in whatever gear it was in while slowing down
-When idle RPM is hit, clutch in
-Car keeps idle fuel going, never does the stupid undershoot
-Neutral, let go of clutch, come to complete stop.

For rolling stops or whatever, I'll do something similar but put it into the appropriate gear instead of the final "come to complete stop".
>>
>>14061372
> government induced trash
>supposed to work like that
> doesn't
>>
My car doesn't even let me shift into1st from any-gear while having forward momentum.

Thanks Mazda.
>>
File: 1320596220764.jpg (19KB, 336x336px) Image search: [Google]
1320596220764.jpg
19KB, 336x336px
>>14061017
It fucking pisses me off how 1st gear is fucking useless.
>used only when starting, shift at 10km/h
>
And that's it, what a waste of a gear. Someone explain this shit to me why are literally all 1st gears so fucking short and useless.
Same goes for the final gear but I can understand that one because muh fuel consumption so in the end you're only left with 4 or 3 useable gears.
>>
>>14063262
It's not too useless...
>>
>>14063262
Try driving around town without using first gear. Come back and tell us what you think.
>>
>>14063262
What's keeping you from shifting at near-redline?
>>
>>14063320
How? You mean starting and parking?
>>14063333
I drive mostly in a city and use 1st gear only when I'm about to park at 5km/h.
>>14063337
I'd look like a raceboy idiot.
>>
>>14063348
You never stop at a red light or stop sign?
>>
>>14063262
not everything is a racetrack, boi.
>>
>>14063369
Start&stop, I believe I already stated that's the only time 1st gear is used. Then again, I can start in 2nd gear with no problem too.
>>14063377
I know, but the reason why my butt itches is because I don't really need a 1st gear since a 2nd gear can do the same job without stalling or anything. Its existence is just to take space on gear sticks.
>>
>>14063390
You can start in 2nd, but that, depending on many factors, can take a considerable amount of clutch slipping compared to starting in 1st.
Also, if your car is heavily loaded or you are on a pretty steep incline (and your engine has not enough torque), you may not even be able to start in 2nd without raping your clutch.

That's the 1st gear's job: to let you start easily and quickly in every situation, no matter the load, the road inclination or the skill of the driver.
If you find a situation where you can't start in 1st (save for obvious lack of grip because of road condition), then it means you went way over the vehicle's limit.
It's not a travel gear, it's designed to be used only for starting and moving at extremely low speeds.

A second may do the job most of the time, but it can't do it every time and in some conditions it causes pointless wear on your clutch.

Think a bit before saying it is useless, you are not the only driver in the world, not everyone drives under the same conditions as you do and not everyone uses the same roads you use.
>>
>>14063333
Not him but i drive an A6 with a 2.5 TDI (with the good camshafts). First really is unusable. 4000 rpm in first means 20-30 km/h. If i dont habe to rush i even use second gear to get moving.
>>
File: image.jpg (33KB, 455x605px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33KB, 455x605px
>>14061282
>>
>>14061063
lmfao
>>
>>14061758

That's how I do of in my car. If I'm coming to a complete stop then I will coast down or brake till I reach idle RPM, by then I'm only gonna be going like 20 kph, and ill shift out into neutral and brake the rest of the way.
>>
>>14063333
>not having enough torks to just cruise around in second
>>
>>14063664
> You can start in 2nd, but that, depending on many factors, can take a considerable amount of clutch slipping compared to starting in 1st.
Reminds me I somehow managed to start in 3rd by accident today.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.