[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Considering trading my car for a Subaru STI

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: may_subaru_sti_sales.jpg (75KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
may_subaru_sti_sales.jpg
75KB, 600x300px
I know /o/ is full of diverse opinions, so please help me out. Seeking some sound advice.
I have a 2010 Maxima SV Sport with a little over 42K. KBB rates her @ about $13.3k trade-in value.
I've wanted a STI for a long while. Yes I admit to being a fan of the fast n furious and my dream car is a Skyline/GTR.
I want a quick car, RWD is always a plus, I love the idea of the turbo and I hear Subaru are among some models that don't see the inside of the shop must.
Browsing /o/ I see ppl are pointing out head gasket problems and gear-box issues.

Should I stick with what I want or what should I consider. I'm not rich and a car note is fine with a warranty
>>
get the wrx instead
>>
>>14059343
Ok, if you're a fan of fast then have a listen.

>r32/33 GTR.

Yes, it's old now. But i own a 33 with a 34 nur engine in it and i've had more fun in this car in the month i've had it than in my 35 GTR.

There's something about them m8, they are so fucking fast when turbos kick in and fun to tune and more importantly, indestructible.

Unless you're putting in 40psi, you won't blow the engine.

The only problem you will encounter is oiling problems which can be fixed by either...

>Getting a 33 over a 32 (the 32 is lighter and thus faster but also an older shell and comes with more oil problems)
>If you get the 33 you can go aftermarket and replace the oil pump/lines for aftermarket ones, no more problems unless you're literally trying to drift it while redlining it (and if you're doing that, oil is the least of your problems, the turbos will put you in a wall).

Now let's talk cost. Here in straya a stock one, unmodded is about 20k. 30k if you want one already modded.

You want a pre-purchase inspection which is a couple hundred bucks, just to make sure it's worth buying. Get a trusted mechanic with good review to do this. If it comes up clean, go for it.

After that, expect a bit of general maintenance just because it's old, replacing the old parts with new ones. 5k Extra for that, you might not even need it.

So you're looking at 35k max, but you'll most likely spend like 24 if you're patient and smart to find the right one.

And there's not a single day i don't love this car. And it has AWD.
>>
Subarus not seeing the inside of a shop?
They almost live there.
>>
>>14059409
And the reason i mention getting what you say is your dream car now is because they will be going up in price.

They've reached the end of their depreciation now and are being considered classics. Japan is now buying them back.

This means they will end up keeping their value at what you bought or even raising, like the old muscle cars.

Just look at how overpriced boomers made them, you will be able to do the same with a skyline GTR.

Oh and the 32 is even cheaper, just be aware of those oil problems.
I chose the 33 because i actually liked the looks and it was lighter than the 34.

Got pics of my engine bay if you're interested m8
>>
>>14059343
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qz7P9fy9cM
>>
I'm in the US. GTRs seem difficult to obtain though it is my dream car
>>
>>14059458
I assume that they would be less since your dollar is worth more than ours, my pricing is with AUD.

But i would defiantly look into it, they are fucking fun as shit.

I'm getting mine back from the tuning shop today and i'm so excited to get back in it and go for a drive
>>
>>14059471
Getting the actual GTR is pretty cheap like this guy said, but every single performance mod is expensive.

You can easily drop 100 grand under that hood before you know it, but you can also take the rb26 to insane levels.

Just be prepared for a bit of touch-up maintenance like he said.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
The WRX has the FA20, so it's only down like 40 hp stock, and it has a nicer ride, and it's like six grand cheaper. Buy it instead.

I was in your spot three months ago and bought the WRX, pic related.
>>
>I want a quick car, RWD is always a plus
You know the WRX/STI is AWD right?
>>
>>14059618

why didn't you just wait for the new sti?
>>
>>14059618
Came in to say this, buy a 13-14 STi or a 15 WRX
>>
I meant to type AWD. I'm in PA, so I would love to drive easier in inclement/snowy conditions
>>
Also another thing about Wrx/STI. They hold their value very well over years. The fact that 13's are still $20k+ says something. I'm excluding euro cars of course (maintenance yikes!)
>>
Either buy a current wrx or wait for the new sti.
>>
>>14059826
Get a old winter beater. Drive any Japanese car in a Northeast/Midwestern snow state and it'll rust out in 7 years or less. It still happens to new cars. It's almost a fucking meme.

>>14059433
They're going up in price because they're legal for Americans to buy. Simple as that, look at the price differences between sold 90-92 GTRs and 93-94s at auction. Essentially the same car (the newer one is actually better), but the 93-94s are selling for 25-50% less because they can't get exported to America until 2018-19.
>>
I'd wait for when the STi gets a new engine.

Buy a old sports car until then
>>
>>14060363

What is opticoat and plastidip.
>>
>>14061608
So are you going to opticoat and plastidip the underbody of the car and wheel arches

What is a $2000 Jeep Cherokee/Subaru/Ford Ranger shitbox
>>
>>14059398
This. The WRX engine has a lot nicer of a dyno curve for everyday use. It produces a LOT more power and torque earlier than the STI, and it has a lot less turbo lag too. Also it's $9k cheaper...so yeah, unless you're actually gonna race, get the WRX.
>>
Ok, so I suppose I'll wait.
The main things that were pushing me are further depreciation on the max (slower on Subie's), end of the year pressure on dealers,turning 25 on the 24th (lower insurance) and I have a better job now. Thanks br/o/s
any further comments?
>>
>>14062962
>Look at the Focus RS and Golf R, alternatively 2016 Camaro SS and Mustang GT give a ton of fun/$

>Get a winter beater unless you're planning on selling it 3-5 years from now, PA winters are brutal, I've seen 4-5 year old cars with bubbles from rust
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.