[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

About to buy my first car. Should I start with auto or manual?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: 1442671797411.jpg (415KB, 1024x1727px) Image search: [Google]
1442671797411.jpg
415KB, 1024x1727px
About to buy my first car. Should I start with auto or manual? Literally never drove before.
>>
>>14055232
speaking from experience, it's easier to start with a manual and later switch to an automatic instead of starting with an automatic and later trying to learn manual.
>>
>>14055242

I'd disagree with this. You're most likely to get in an accident when you're first learning to drive and an automatic is a lot easier to control.
>>
>>14055242
Ditto. I learned on an automatic then switched to a manual, the transition wasn't insanely difficult, but it does feel weird having to relearn how to drive. And besides, manuals are more fun, but bridges/hills can scare the shit out of ya when you're learning.
>>
>>14055232
I'd just like to say my teacher at community college who I'm pretty sure is from /pop/ had us read this book
>>
>>14055254
dear god
>>
>>14055249
This is also, true. When i did get my manual car, i crashed it because i was so worried about being in the right gear, and having the right RPM's that i looked away form the street for too long and rear ended a guy. That's also why i always held that a first car should be one that you can make mistakes in, because you probably will.
>>
>>14055249
Have you ever tried to teach someone to drive a manual when they've only ever had automatics?
It's always
>"THIS IS STUPID!"
>"I thought you just pushed in the clutch and go!"
>"WHY do I need to learn this? Automatics exist!"

My sister and I were the only ones of my siblings that didn't bitch about learning to drive manual. None of us were allowed to get our licenses without learning manual.

I had a half hour lesson before my Dad said I'd learned enough to drive stick. My first car was automatic, and not my choice. My second car is manual and the transition was hard for a week or 2

Learn manual first, and then switch if you want.
>>
Is there any advantage with manual over auto?
>>
>>14055265
9 times out of 10:
>better gas mileage
>cheaper repairs if it ever breaks
>lighter
>faster acceleration
>better throttle response

Example:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=16634&id=16635
>>
>>14055265
can push start
less power loss
keeps plebs off the road
does not even need a clutch (git gud)
>>
>>14055265
Superior skidz
>>
>>14055265
Honestly the only downside i can think of getting a manual is learning. Once you learn, it becomes second nature, and you also reap the benefits listed above.
>>
>>14055322
And traffic.
Fuck driving through sydney with a manual, tempted to buy an auto shitbox exclusively for that
>>
>>14055301
>does not even need a clutch

wat?
>>
>>14055265

>push starting your shitbox
>car jacking / theft stopper
>no friends / girls bitching for you to let them drive your shitbox
>>
>>14055352
I was confused as well at first.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-drive-a-stick-without-a-clutch
Not too good for the tranny, but is doable.
>>
>>14055352
He's a fucking retard who read shit in daily trucker thread and never actually driven a manual or even understands how they work

Modern manuals, and by modern I mean anything after like fucking 1980 are synchronized. The only exception is tractor trailers. The clutch will disengage the synchros to help you shift otherwise you just tear them the fuck up jamming them together if you try to float gears. Eventually, you'll fuck your car up so bad that not only will you grind trying to get into gear but it will keep popping back out
>>
File: 3 on the tree.jpg (61KB, 672x333px) Image search: [Google]
3 on the tree.jpg
61KB, 672x333px
Do what I did.
Get a manual and go practice starting and stopping on gravel. do that for an hour a day for a week or so and you'll be ready for the streets.

One thing people don't realize about not knowing how to drive a one is emergency situations.
when there's only one rig to gtfo of wherever the hell you are, and it's manual.
it pays fucking dividends to know how to drive.

pic related, got to drive my first 3 on the tree the on there month. 1972 bronco with a 302.
>>
>>14055390
Damn, Iv wanted to drive one of those so badly.
>>
>>14055352
bangshift.
wrap that engine to the redline and slam it in gear.
drag racers do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUbxRCxrU3I
>>
File: peep peep.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
peep peep.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
>>14055388
no syncro in first gear btw
>never actually driven a manual or even understands how they work
projecting much
>>
File: HomerSimpson.jpg (10KB, 260x384px) Image search: [Google]
HomerSimpson.jpg
10KB, 260x384px
>>14055232
What in sweet fuck am I looking at?
>>
>>14055405
First gears are synchro'd you fucking jackhole
>>
>>14055417
>or even understands how they work
I don't have to baby sit you do I
>>
>>14055427
Tell me what car you drive that doesn't have a synchro'd first gear and I'll show you a piece of shit that shouldn't be on the road
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.